• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

ElyrionX

One big problem of the game is that even though regular blacksmiths sell them, you don't see anyone, good or bad, using ebony, glass or even dwarven armour. It just doesn't make sense.

On my way back to Riverwood, I've discovered some awesome things:
-A giant roaming around on the road.
-Some sort of ancient snowy-stone structure that I was able to shout three two Frost Trolls off the edge and kill 'em. I hope I got experience points for that. Do you?
-A campfire with giants.

You know what would make this so much better? If the looting didn't suck. My word, if the looting wasn't bad...

Esch

Banned
One big problem of the game is that even though regular blacksmiths sell them, you don't see anyone, good or bad, using ebony, glass or even dwarven armour. It just doesn't make sense.

I've seen enemies in Dwarven and glass plate. Only one in ebony though.

NBtoaster

On my way back to Riverwood, I've discovered some awesome things:
-A giant roaming around on the road.
-Some sort of ancient snowy-stone structure that I was able to shout three two Frost Trolls off the edge and kill 'em. I hope I got experience points for that. Do you?
-A campfire with giants.

You know what would make this so much better? If the looting didn't suck. My word, if the looting wasn't bad...

You dont get experience from killing enemies in this game. You get experience towards your next level up by increasing skills, and you level up skills by using them (eg for one/two handed you level them up by hitting enemies, but you dont get anything for the actual kill).

You know, as much as I love Skyrim, there are some really dumb things with the inventory system: What's the deal with items you put in chests not always being in alphabetical order? AND why are they not sorted by type? I use different storage holders in my main house for each type of item, but still it makes no sense not to have the storage work like your own inventory.

Also, and this has to have happened to you more than once - You're dropping stuff off/getting stuff from a chest in your house and you press the button to store an item, when you're taking things from the chest and it takes EVERYTHING! Why the hell did they reverse the buttons for storing/taking - the noise it makes as you remove 1000 items makes me jump as I realise what I've done, lol!

Mordeccai

So what exactly is the reason for level scaling loot? What does it accomplish gameplay wise? I will admit it irks me, but whats the alternative and what are the benefits of keeping scaled loot?

I mean, Bethesda has to have a reason for scaling the loot.

Jeff Chen

Banned
You know, as much as I love Skyrim, there are some really dumb things with the inventory system: What's the deal with items you put in chests not always being in alphabetical order? AND why are they not sorted by type? I use different storage holders in my main house for each type of item, but still it makes no sense not to have the storage work like your own inventory.

Also, and this has to have happened to you more than once - You're dropping stuff off/getting stuff from a chest in your house and you press the button to store an item, when you're taking things from the chest and it takes EVERYTHING! Why the hell did they reverse the buttons for storing/taking - the noise it makes as you remove 1000 items makes me jump as I realise what I've done, lol!

Yeah, then I'll have to load a save... too many stuff to put back into the chest, even after I've categorized them into different chests...

What's the most efficient way to get from 80 to 100 enchanting? I've been enchanting iron daggers with banish so far but the experience gain is getting really small now (about 6 daggers per level) and I'm running low on soul gems.

Do I get more experience from enchanting better weapons?

About the scaling, it's really fucking dumb. For example, my warrior who has 100 smithing at around level 30 regularly finds Ebony gear and occasionally Daedric and has been fighting dudes with Dwarven gear since level 10. Whereas, my mage who as I mentioned has fairly high enchanting finds gear with freaking good enchants on them. I'm talking 50 elemental damage, fear on level 30 enemies, crazy shit. Why do my stats determine what I find in the world? Moreover why am I finding shit I could just make better versions of myself?

Phreaker

Help please

I was (am?) on a quest called Liberation Of Skyrim. The quest shows I have completed:

Liberate Hjaalmarch
Liberate the Reach
Liberate Falkreath Hold
Report to Ulfric Stormcloak

When I select the quest it didn't show a marker, like where to go next. I went to the Skyrim Wiki and it said:

2nd Note: If the quest gets stuck at another point e.g. after Liberate Hjaalmarch, search for Rebellion Camps for Galmar Stone-Fist. After talking to him, you'll get your reward and a new quest. (After Hjaalmarch, he is found above Dragon Bridge, in Haafingar Stormcloak Camp.

I went to the Haafingar Stormcloack Camp, but Galmar Sonte-Fist was no where to be found. I decided to make my way over to the Rift Stomcloack Camp since it showed on my map that I had never been there. There I found Galmar Stone-Fist and when I talked to him "Reporting in" he sent me on a new quest called The Battle For Fort Greenwall.

How can I complete the Liberation of Skyrim quest?

Thanks. I'm on the 360 version, if that matters (no console commands).

I ran across 3 Thalmor walking along, and one of them wore a full set of Glass armour - I know because I looted it off his still warm corpse :)

What's the most efficient way to get from 80 to 100 enchanting? I've been enchanting iron daggers with banish so far but the experience gain is getting really small now (about 6 daggers per level) and I'm running low on soul gems.

Do I get more experience from enchanting better weapons?
I don't know if enchanting better stuff = more exp. but to level up I just used any petty/lesser soul gems to enchant rings and sell them, I had hundreds since I steal and pickpocket from everybody. I found enchanting Sneak and Carrying gave the best prices btw. I thought levelling Enchanting went by pretty fast actually, I don't know if jewellery gives more exp. than daggers though!

Spoilers for the Thalmor Embassy quest:

I thought the quest was pretty interesting. But you know the best part about it? Escaping from the place only find a dragon overhead roaring at you. I led the dragon all the way to Solitude because I didn't really have the tools to take it down and it followed me. Guards attack him and I come away victorious. Yes.

Tomorrow I'm going to explore and make my way over to two undiscovered cities: Rorikstead and Marthal or whatever.

GhaleonEB

Help please

I was (am?) on a quest called Liberation Of Skyrim. The quest shows I have completed:

Liberate Hjaalmarch
Liberate the Reach
Liberate Falkreath Hold
Report to Ulfric Stormcloak

When I select the quest it didn't show a marker, like where to go next. I went to the Skyrim Wiki and it said:

2nd Note: If the quest gets stuck at another point e.g. after Liberate Hjaalmarch, search for Rebellion Camps for Galmar Stone-Fist. After talking to him, you'll get your reward and a new quest. (After Hjaalmarch, he is found above Dragon Bridge, in Haafingar Stormcloak Camp.

I went to the Haafingar Stormcloack Camp, but Galmar Sonte-Fist was no where to be found. I decided to make my way over to the Rift Stomcloack Camp since it showed on my map that I had never been there. There I found Galmar Stone-Fist and when I talked to him "Reporting in" he sent me on a new quest called The Battle For Fort Greenwall.

How can I complete the Liberation of Skyrim quest?

Thanks. I'm on the 360 version, if that matters (no console commands).
This threw me off as well. You don't complete that quest directly, but rather by working on the other quests associated with the Civil War quest line. Think of "Liberation of Skyrim" as a checklist for the quest line. So when you do "The Battle For Fort Greenwall", you'll complete the next bullet on the "Liberation of Skyrim" quest.

So Faendal has been following me around as of late till he completely disappeared. No bother. Eventually the Jarl then gives me a new housecarl, Lydia. But when I ask her to follow me she replies that I already have someone with me. Hmm, so maybe I had to tell Faendal to part ways first? But where is he? I found him at Riverwood but he too cannot follow me saying that I already a companion.

What do I do?

Sharp

I've run into some enemies using Daedric arrows, does that count?

Sharp

But at the same time I just went to a place in the Winterfall College questline where there were master doors which I picked and there was still nothing worthwhile there.

So... I'm not convinced that's true, to be honest.

Edit: In response to your edit, I'm glad you see that not scaling would be much more interesting :) I'm always going to feel restricted now I scale that shit. Horrible.
Are you talking about
Muzlft
? Yeah, that was disappointing as shit. Wasting 10 picks on a master lock at level 37 for what turned out to be 9 gold.

So in
Blackreach
(which is the bees' knees, by the way, could it be that some of the
Crimson Nirnroot plants
which seem awfully important are invisible? Because sometimes
you'll hear a chime
and there don't seem to be any of them around. Is there a spell I need to make them show up? Or is the noise I'm thinking of part of the ambient music?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just finished a pretty awesome dungeon with an interesting "boss"

The quest name that brings you to this dungeon is "Assassin of Old"

I went in there expecting to find this assassin (which I did) but the real treat was the hagraven. Even though she was kinda annoying, I liked the four stage boss fight with her - her teleporting every time I took away 25% of her health was a nice change of pace in exploring a dungeon.

Arjen

I found a moth in a jar, uesp says it's a unique item but currently no known use for it. Anyone here found any use for it?

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I found a moth in a jar, uesp says it's a unique item but currently no known use for it. Anyone here found any use for it?
I have a bee, moth and I believe a dragonfly in a jar. I just have them in a chest and haven't used them for anything. I tried to decorate a house with them but everything falls off the shelves and tables whenever I enter.

So in
Blackreach
(which is the bees' knees, by the way, could it be that some of the
Crimson Nirnroot plants
which seem awfully important are invisible? Because sometimes
you'll hear a chime
and there don't seem to be any of them around. Is there a spell I need to make them show up? Or is the noise I'm thinking of part of the ambient music?
They're not invisible, if you can't see them, they might be up on a cliff above or something - unlike the regular variety they don't just grow around water, but also the
MONSTER
mushrooms.

Don't worry, there are definately more than 30 around the place, and if you explore the whole of it, you will find 30+ - there are some in the buildings dotted around too.

Barrett2

I love luring enemies into towns and farms and watching the carnage ensue. I stumbled across a cave entrance with 3 Trolls and 2 Bears just standing there. I jogged back to the small farm I had passed, and watched with great pleasure as the creatures ripped to shreds the guards and farmers.

Also, watching two horses fight a dragon is hilarious and awesome.

lil smoke

Banned
So Faendal has been following me around as of late till he completely disappeared. No bother. Eventually the Jarl then gives me a new housecarl, Lydia. But when I ask her to follow me she replies that I already have someone with me. Hmm, so maybe I had to tell Faendal to part ways first? But where is he? I found him at Riverwood but he too cannot follow me saying that I already a companion.

What do I do?
Sleep/Wait for a few days, he may show up next to you or you hopefully get a message that he's returning home? I was deep in cave battle and suddenly saw a message something like "dog is returning home", hilarious. I had him waiting comfortably at my ... our Whiterun home, he wants to go back to that cold horse dump. The entire time I did spend with Dog out there, we'd get our asses handed trying to keep him alive. However there was one time he ran up to a tent, killed someone sleeping, and just walked out the other end casually. I had no idea anyone was in the tent.

+1. Menu is case sensitive. I could go on and on about the menus, but..

yeah accidentally 'receiving' the entire container simply sucks. The noise. LOL. It's really bad for something like a food container, if you like to keep a well organized food cache on hand.

Woo, I have free Destruction magic and it feels gud. Got out of the Archmage's Robes and outfitted myself in some glass armor with the baller enchants. Shit looks so cash

Also made myself a Glass Dagger and Sword. The sword has absorb stamina and paralysis, pretty good for a head to head fight although with how low my armor rating is it's probably a bad idea to get into a confrontation like that. The dagger does lightning damage and has soul capture as it's second effect. Put the soul capture on there mostly to keep the Black Star filled and to get the Shang Tsung animation every time I kill something. Delicious.

Finished up the Thieves Guild quests last night and thought that it was quite satisfying. After that, I turned to a few side quests, just to get them off my plate. One takes me into a nasty little dungeon where a ghost promptly tells me there is a great evil trapped below and that it will soon escape without my help. A Dovahkin's work is never done it seems.

Now I'm off to collect three empty vials that will be used for something. Not sure what yet. I've only found one so far and along the way I've been killing Draugir Scourges and Deathlords left and right.

I've hit level 40 as well, and once I'm done clearing this dungeon, which I'm pretty sure will have a Word of Power for me, I'm going to advance the next section of the main story. I think I'm getting close to the end of it, but I've been piecemealing it out over the course of my game play.

Also, am I the only one who refuses to touch the items left at the shrines of the gods? Last night there was a grand soul gem sitting at a shrine to Nocturnal, but I wouldn't touch it. This is a bit of a role-playing element on my part I suppose, but I'm not messing with sacrifices to the gods!

Phreaker

This threw me off as well. You don't complete that quest directly, but rather by working on the other quests associated with the Civil War quest line. Think of "Liberation of Skyrim" as a checklist for the quest line. So when you do "The Battle For Fort Greenwall", you'll complete the next bullet on the "Liberation of Skyrim" quest.

Ah, great. Thank you kind sir!

NBtoaster

:(

Don't suppose there's any mods which fixes it? I don't see why I should ever bother picking another lock if there's no chance of me finding rare, high level loot.

There is a chance of finding higher level stuff at lower levels than you should. I found a Daedric War Axe at level 30 when they should start to appear commonly at level 46.

:(

Don't suppose there's any mods which fixes it? I don't see why I should ever bother picking another lock if there's no chance of me finding rare, high level loot.

It's like Oblivion, random chance is random chance. I picked every single Expert/Master lock I came across in the game and never got anything special.

Shit game design. Don't care what anyone says, that's horrible.

I have to agree. While I love all of the Elder Scrolls games and understand why they have the scaling in place, their approach is just plain silly. I shouldn't have to think "Well, at least I increased by lock skill!" after picking a Master Lock and finding 10 gold. The reward just plain doesn't scale the way it should. Especially when I'm pulling 50+ gold off of random bandits at this point.

Phreaker

I have to agree. While I love all of the Elder Scrolls games and understand why they have the scaling in place, their approach is just plain silly. I shouldn't have to think "Well, at least I increased by lock skill!" after picking a Master Lock and finding 10 gold. The reward just plain doesn't scale the way it should. Especially when I'm pulling 50+ gold off of random bandits at this point.

That there is the biggest issue I have had with Oblivion and Skyrim. Well that and having no carrot on the stick (not ever seeing a single item I can't use yet.) I've simply come to terms with the fact that TES games are not loot games even though there are 1,000s of chests, urns, and whatnot.

That there is the biggest issue I have had with Oblivion and Skyrim. Well that and having no carrot on the stick (not ever seeing a single item I can't use yet.) I've simply come to terms with the fact that TES games are not loot games even though there are 1,000s of chests, urns, and whatnot.

Yeah, after awhile, gold just becomes a way to keep score really. They could use some more unique items to really help the system out, but just giving a better reward for some of quests would help a lot.

I already have 20k gold because I only buy potions and spells. I've yet to find a merchant of any kind that sells anything appealing, not even weapons at a blacksmith etc.

So, there's no real reason to get gold, and gold is the thing they give you in lieu of good loot.

I already have 20k gold because I only buy potions and spells. I've yet to find a merchant of any kind that sells anything appealing, not even weapons at a blacksmith etc.

I have a full set of Steel Plate armor (with boots that cover all three resistances) that I bought entirely from merchants. I always buy lock picks, ebony ingots and soul gems. I bought all my leather when I was leveling Smithing.

If I see a weapon/item that I don't know the enchant for, I buy it.

Top Bottom