• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I already have 20k gold because I only buy potions and spells. I've yet to find a merchant of any kind that sells anything appealing, not even weapons at a blacksmith etc.

So, there's no real reason to get gold, and gold is the thing they give you in lieu of good loot.

I rarely buy potions, as they are so plentiful, but do stock up on the rarer arrows when I can. While using steel arrows for instance, I would always buy Elven and Glass, so that I had enough of them when I made the transition from steel to the next damage level. I bought spells early on, but find them regularly now as well. Soul Gems are another item that are hardly in short supply.

Biggest thing I've spent cash on is my home in Windhelm, which I've got full stocked. I'll probably buy other houses eventually, but one seems like enough for now. Besides, I'm working on getting the 100k gold achievement. :)

I should really stop posting in this thread because it's making me focus on the shit parts of the game!

When I'm playing the game I have a lot of fun, but when I stop and think about it to discuss it here more and more of the huge flaws become apparent.

I should really stop posting in this thread because it's making me focus on the shit parts of the game!

When I'm playing the game I have a lot of fun, but when I stop and think about it to discuss it here more and more of the huge flaws become apparent.

Yeah, when I'm playing, I barely think about these things. I'm too busy exploring. That's the way I like it. Despite its flaws, it is still one of the best games I've ever played.

Phreaker

Haha, so true. I really really enjoy the game when I am playing it (just over 100hrs so far). I have had to come to terms with the fact that there are certain aspects I wish were done differently that would have made it my prefect game. As for gold, I usually spend mine on training.

nel e nel

:(

Don't suppose there's any mods which fixes it? I don't see why I should ever bother picking another lock if there's no chance of me finding rare, high level loot.

Do you have the Lockpicking perk that give you a 50% better chance of finding special treasure? I've heard that it's pretty good at giving you better items from a friend.

re: the discussion above bout focusing on the negative parts of the game, I hear ya. It's easy to pull a Statler & Waldorf when looking at something in retrospect, but I think that what they have accomplished with this game is pretty breathtaking. AND THEY FIT IT ALL ON ONE DISK!! Hell, Mass Effect 2 was on 2 disks and RAGE was on 3, and Skyrim dwarfs both of those games. /unwashedconsolemasses

I've also been terribly 'lucky' in that the only bugs I've had have been it locking up during loading a few times and 1 glitched dragon.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Why is that Alchemy levels so slowly? I'm able to increase my Smithing and Enchanting skills reasonably fast, but I have to create a shit ton of potions before my Alchemy goes up. This happens to both my Nord warrior and my Bosmer thief BTW.

So I'm trying to enchant my items at the moment. The only thing I don't understand is why I can't disenchant my armor? Is there a certain skill that you need to do this or is it simply not possible?

SolKane

Also who is the most powerful follower

I've been using Erandur since completing the Mara quest. Dude's a boss, and the best thing about him is he comments on different situations, based on what city or location you're in. Pretty neat to have Holtz tagging along with you, slaying vampires and what not.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I'm trying to enchant my items at the moment. The only thing I don't understand is why I can't disenchant my armor? Is there a certain skill that you need to do this or is it simply not possible?

You can't disenchant something if you already know the enchant or if the enchant is uncommon like "undead flee for 5 secs with additionnal fire damage".

I only buy soul gems and ingredients from merchants, the latter mainly was just to increase speechcraft/alchemy.

Once you get the full speechcraft perks and invest in businesses, selling stuff is a lot quicker/easier - I only own homes in Whiterun, Riften and Solititude so far, but houses are the biggest outlay for money as far as I can see - I've never bought a potion, weapon or piece of armour - sold a ton and I have 425,000+ in gold sitting there waiting for me to buy the final properties. Once I had hit 100 in speechcraft and got the perks, it was meteoric from the 90,000 in gold I had to what I have now.

It does kind of break the loot system and hauling stuff back from dungeons to sell, but I still loot every gold piece, enchanted item and 100g+ potion I find just because I enjoy looting and hoarding.

So If I I'm wearing something that makes m archery stronger/better, I can't disenchant another item with the same effect?
Once you've disenchanted something, you have learned that particular enchantment, so you can no longer disenchanted something of the same enchantment.

You have a soul trap sword, you disenchant it, any soul trap item you have can no longer be disenchanted since you already know it.

If you're trying to disenchant stuff to increase your enchantment skill, forget it - enchant stuff in stead, and sell enchanted items you don't want.

Anteater

Well fuck you bards college, made me recover the instruments from dungeons but they wouldn't remove them from my inventory when I'm done, I'm glad I did your shitty quests just to waste some inventory space you assholes!

Well fuck you bards college, made me recover the instruments from dungeons but they wouldn't remove them from my inventory when I'm done, I'm glad I did your shitty quests just to waste some inventory space you assholes!

So I guess I should avoid the bards college quests? Are they at least fun?

Once you've disenchanted something, you have learned that particular enchantment, so you can no longer disenchanted something of the same enchantment.

You have a soul trap sword, you disenchant it, any soul trap item you have can no longer be disenchanted since you already know it.

If you're trying to disenchant stuff to increase your enchantment skill, forget it - enchant stuff in stead, and sell enchanted items you don't want.

Okay, I understand that. Here's the situation: I want the disenchant my shrouded cowl, which makes bows do 20% more damage. I haven't disenchanted anything that has something to do with bows. So why can't I disenchant this particular item. Is it because it is a special item or something like that.

I'm really appreciating the help, sorry if I'm a little bit of a pain :p

Anteater

So I guess I should avoid the bards college quests? Are they at least fun?

They're kind of short, and you get some skill up, just the typical go fetch them this item from a dungeon a few times, probably good to do if you're bored, the instruments doesn't really weigh a lot, just useless :lol

Kyaw

Hey guys, I'm inside Blackreach for
Elder Scrolls
quest.

Standing outside Tower of Mzark, can't get inside the tower, there's an invisible 'door' and an invisible lift.

What do I do?

Why is that Alchemy levels so slowly? I'm able to increase my Smithing and Enchanting skills reasonably fast, but I have to create a shit ton of potions before my Alchemy goes up. This happens to both my Nord warrior and my Bosmer thief BTW.

The higher the potion's value, the quicker your alchemy will go up. Enchant some fortify alchemy stuff for when you are making potions, and concentrate on the higher value ones. Invisibility and Slow seem to be fairly high value. Plus you can then make a lot of money selling them.

Dammit, I thought I was tired of this game.

And yet I just rerolled. Exam gods save me, I've got heavy studying to do the next four weeks.

The game plays so differently with different character types. Event though the quests remain largely the same, the game is a lot of fun to play through again.

The game plays so differently with different character types. Event though the quests remain largely the same, the game is a lot of fun to play through again.

I haven't even done the College of Winter Hold and the Companions questlines. My new character, Rolf the Badass Altmer, will be handling the former. I'll make another character for the latter.

If you do the main quest, do you visit every major city in the game or just a few? I ask because I want to know if I should explore some on my own.

You definitely should explore on your own. You won't visit all the cities during the Main Quest, let alone all the towns.

I had a long day.

HrYZp.jpg

Anteater

damn it, I hate pressing the wrong button at my house's storage and pressed take all by accident, since it's the same fucking button as store!

GhaleonEB

Yup, I'm discovering that.

My new character, Alis, is having a tough time in the world on Master difficulty. Playing a melee character is radically different than playing an archer, and I got my rear kicked in the first couple dungeons. My vision for the character is one who uses indirect tactics for much of a battle, but is still formidable one on one and can jump in to clean up a fight or handle herself when things go awry. But early on, training wheels are definitely still on.

I'm role playing a bit differently this time around, setting up shop around Whiterun and working on quests from there. Last night I took out a bandit chief for a bounty at the towers just east of Whiterun, and the chief himself took me 10 minutes of hit and run tactics to take down - he could one-hit me with his war hammer, even when I was blocking.

I was doing the bounty to score some loot, and got a good haul from their supplies. From there I had enough money to get a ton of spell books from the Jarl's wizard, including Frenzy.

From there I head to Embershed cave to try out this play style. First thing I do is frenzy one of two bandits talking, causing a fight to break out. I jump down when their health is about 3/4 down and finish them both off with the frost axe I scored from Bleak Falls Barrow.

Later I frenzy a bandit charging me, then sprint past him and leap down into the middle of a couple others down below. The frenzied guy follows and the fight breaks out behind me as I head back up the ramp. From there I toss fireballs down on the scrum to finish all three off while they're distracted. The rest of the dungeon played out in similar fashion. I think this character is going to work quite well.

I did have a lot of trouble with the first dragon, who could kill me in about 2 seconds (and did, about 30 times). Patience and a few mid-battle saves got me through. I've since joined the Companions and am going to alternate their quests with the main quest, once I have a house in Whiterun and fully upgrade it. In the mean time I'm going to work on improving my gear so I'm not so vulnerable to direct attacks.

Looking at the Block and One-Handed perk trees, I see good times ahead. Very glad I re-rolled.

Pirabear

Banned
How viable is an archer with good magic and limited (if any) hand to hand skills? And what's the best magic to learn for this build? 6 hours in and while I do love sneaking and headshots, I'd like to have something to fall back on if an enemy gets close or when fighting dragons. Sorry if this has been asked numerous times, pretty new to Elder Scrolls and higher-end PC gaming in general.

Deadman

How viable is an archer with good magic and limited (if any) hand to hand skills? And what's the best magic to learn for this build? 6 hours in and while I do love sneaking and headshots, I'd like to have something to fall back on if an enemy gets close or when fighting dragons. Sorry if this has been asked numerous times, pretty new to Elder Scrolls and higher-end PC gaming in general.

Im at level 25 and ive only used archery and magic. Its extremely viable and a lot of fun.

Edit: Conjuration is probably best for this build, you get the bound bow which is really powerful and you get to summon things to help you/distract the enemy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
// Spoilers ahead

I have a Dark Elf build, One Handed Weapon already around 50 who uses Conjuring and Restoration as main means of magic. Level 14 already... became Harbinger... started Winterhold Quest, about to become a Thieves Guild member and did what I believe is the predecessor to Dark Brotherhood. Also, met Alduin and got hyped. Dragon attacked me out of nowhere while going to Riften.... epic battle between dragon and me. Still haven't even begun alchemy and stuff like that. Joined the Stormcloaks and already did the amazing Riverrun siege thing. 16 hours in. This game is fantastic and better than Oblivion in every way. Also! No bugs or crashes :D!

The pickup mechanics in this game suck. All I want to do is display my prized moth in a jar in my house, but no, the stupid thing is almost impossible to place upright. It keeps floating to its side and falling over.

Double D

Couple of things:

- Level 35 and made the decision to go balls deep into the main quest. I had left off on 'The Horn of Jorgen Windcaller' or whatever it was, and got up to the point where I got the
Dragonrend
shout and used it to fight
Alduin
. Kinda thought that was going to be the end but I guess I've still got some more to go.

-Blackreach is fucking awesome. I was only there because of the main quest, but I plan on going back through the backdoor (which doesn't show up on the map?) later to finish up the nirntoot thing and just general exploration.

-I remember you guys mentioning something about investing in stores. How do I go about doing that?

-Along the same lines as the investing thing, I remember something about a Thieves Guild fence that always had a bunch of money. I haven't quite finished up the Thieves Guild, but there's still no sign of this rich person.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

I have my thief archer character specialize in one-hand (with duel wielding) once my enemies get too close. Plus you the cool execution animations with one handed and sneak. I barely use magic with her.

Phreaker

The pickup mechanics in this game suck. All I want to do is display my prized moth in a jar in my house, but no, the stupid thing is almost impossible to place upright. It keeps floating to its side and falling over.

It's almost a game in and of itself. I finally got my bee in jar and glowy bug in jar to stand nicely where I wanted them. What was a real kick in the nuts was I had both standing great, left my house and when I came back both were tipped over! That hasn't happened again though.

Hey guys, I'm inside Blackreach for
Elder Scrolls
quest.

Standing outside Tower of Mzark, can't get inside the tower, there's an invisible 'door' and an invisible lift.

What do I do?

Have you tried saving and restarting the game to see if the invisible objects reappear?

GhaleonEB

I relied on 1-handed as a fallback for the first 20 levels or so, but after that...very seldom that anything got close. I used Unrelenting Force to push guys back if they did.

Once you get slow time and stagger from the Archery perk tree, and 3x from sneak on the Sneak tree, you enter god-tier. It's awesome.

I was a pure archer for about 100 of 130 hours of my last character and loved it.

Wow, so you haven't explored Labyrinthian yet? That's one of the oldest (pre first era) and most infamous dungeons in Tamriel lore, so you're definitely in for a treat.

Yeah, I tried exploring it but left disappointed when I couldn't because I hadn't started the College.

Woah! The Paralysis and Absorb Stamina enchants that I put on my sword depletes it after about 25 hits.

What's another good combo that lasts a bit longer? I'm talking double or more the amount of swings.

Sigh...the only female Argonian eligible for marriage is bugged, and no other wives really suit him. I guess I'll just have to make my lizard gay. The question is, should he marry Scouts-Many-Marshes or Derkeethus?

Playing as a mage is fun, holy shit. I only played like an hour or two, but dammit, I've been doing things with destruction and conjuration that Wulf and Sul could only dream of.

Playing as a mage is fun, holy shit. I only played like an hour or two, but dammit, I've been doing things with destruction and conjuration that Wulf and Sul could only dream of.

I hear it sort of peters out at higher levels, as damage doesn't scale to skill level. But I've never tried pure-mage before, so I wouldn't know personally. Maybe enchant a few things to make destruction spells free to even the playing field.

I hear it sort of peters out at higher levels, as damage doesn't scale to skill level. But I've never tried pure-mage before, so I wouldn't know personally. Maybe enchant a few things to make destruction spells free to even the playing field.

Right now I'm playing around with Bound Sword, too. I don't plan on making this a long playthrough, just doing the occasional College missions everytime I'm done studying. Part of me is itching to roll another sword-and-board character and run through the Main Quest again.

Wulf will rise again.

Right now I'm playing around with Bound Sword, too. I don't plan on making this a long playthrough, just doing the occasional College missions everytime I'm done studying. Part of me is itching to roll another sword-and-board character and run through the Main Quest again.

Wulf will rise again.

Make an anti-Wulf, contrary to every principle that Wulf stands for. An eternal foe.

Basically a snivelling, sycophantic Ulfric-supporter?

Top Bottom