• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

The dragons become increasingly powerful as you level up. The one you encountered there at your level would have been no more stronger than the first one you fought. That is to say, yes you can always take out a dragon.

The easiest way to tackle a dragon early on is to get it distracted by an animal or some other creature/enemy. I remember early on, it always seemed there was a Giant's camp, trolls, or bears nearby so I'd run over to them, let the dragon fight them and just snipe it from a distance, then collect the spoils.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lol Illusion was easy to lvl... just cast Muffle whenever you dont need to use mana : Free xp! Then i got that College Mage quest that gave me almost infinite mana for 1 hour... oh boy, all i did was spamming Muffle and more Muffle! Think i went from lvl 64 to 66 tonight with mostly this.

Are the dragons guarding the walls stronger than the random appearances? There's a dragon guarding a word wall south of Riften that's kicking my ass, even though it's the same type as the random dragons I can take down in like 30 seconds.

Just before this one, I had a dragon decide to attack the Riften marketplace. It instantly took about twenty arrows to the face from all the guards. Definitely not the brightest of Alduin's soldiers, that's for sure.

Anteater

Are there mages merchants with more than 600gold? I have some of these mage clothing and staves that are like over 1k gold, and I don't feel like doing thieves guild again on this character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ugh, destruction is pretty underwhelming. Currently at 96 with all the lightning perks, but only the weakest enemies are dying with the level 75 spells, which take way too much magicka to cast for the damage they do. I hope the level 100 spells are better.

Not a destruction man myself, but from what I hear, to make it viable what you're supposed to do is make yourself a set of enchanted gear that will make it so all your destruction spells cost 0 magicka.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Ugh, destruction is pretty underwhelming. Currently at 96 with all the lightning perks, but only the weakest enemies are dying with the level 75 spells, which take way too much magicka to cast for the damage they do. I hope the level 100 spells are better.
I agree that it is silly that destruction doesn't scale. However, what helps as someone already stated, is enchanting your robes/armor to the point that your destructions spells cost zero or near zero. I'm in the process of leveling my enchanting skill and my expert spells cost around 24 pts. Paired with a high magicka reserve, I can usually spam Incenerate without having to worry about it too much.

Also, I guess I won't be joining the legion. The temple entrance where I was supposed to meet up with Rikke is blocked off by rubble. Weird.

The expert level destruction spells aren't even that good compared to a well made bow, which is why I don't feel bad about being able to cast it for free.

One thing that I really enjoy is getting into the rhythm of shooting spells with both hands. With the right timing it'll look like something out of Dragon Ball Z

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1040

Time to make a female mage!

dsx3X.jpg

GreekWolf

Yikes, I've been playing for almost 150 hours and just had my first encounter with an
undead
dragon. What a pain in the ass. It caught me completely off-guard because I thought it was just a pile of old bones.

Fjordson

Visiting my brother and his family for Christmas this weekend, and he's playing this on his brand new PC (I've been on 360 only). Caliente's Female Mod: Big Bottom Edition here we come!

Question: does anybody where I can obtain the saphire claw so I can investigate the barrow near Ivarstead?

Alright, just to give a quick update: what happened was that the
journal from the dead guy I was supposed to pick, was laying somewhere on the floor of his room, explaining why I totally missed it on my first go.
All good now!

Had a dragon take me completely by surprise last night. I was wandering through the wilderness on my way to some Dwimmer ruins (quest to return the Lexicon) when a dragon dropped out of the sky behind me without any kind of warning what so ever. No music, no roars, just a quick flap of the wings, which caused my controller to vibrate, and boom there he was, nearly right on top of me.

At first, I wasn't sure what was happening, because as I turned around, I was already caught in the dust and debris that he kicked up when landed. That's how close he was when he came on me. I was hit by a blast of fire breath before I could even react, and I instinctively struck out with my sword, which fortunately did a critical hit, causing the beast to fly back up into the sky, before circling back around for an attack.

A typical dragon battle ensued after that, but for a brief moment I had visions of him chomping me in half before I even had a chance to react. It was a real "Oh shit!" moment for sure.

She would probably freeze to death
Casting flame shield nonstop should keep you warm. Besides alot of the armor suits do not cover extremities. People don't seem to dress for the cold in Skyrim. Would be cool if some parts of the game world were incredibly harsh and cold with no chance of survival without proper apparel. One can dream.

Casting flame shield nonstop should keep you warm. Besides alot of the armor suits do not cover extremities. People don't seem to dress for the cold in Skyrim. Would be cool if some parts of the game world were incredibly harsh and cold with no chance of survival without proper apparel. One can dream.

Thought the same thing on more than one occasion while crossing a river in the freezing cold Skyrim weather. My character should have had hypothermia getting out of that water in the middle of a blizzard! Brrr!

OK I'm really early in the game, level 6 and trying to get the
horn
to complete the
grey beard quest
. The Restless dudes down in that dungeon are kicking my ass - I'm kind of destruction right now (only have fire) and I have the healing restoration spell. Is this game supposed to be kicking my ass so much? :(

I've been using Erandur since completing the Mara quest. Dude's a boss, and the best thing about him is he comments on different situations, based on what city or location you're in. Pretty neat to have Holtz tagging along with you, slaying vampires and what not.

yeah I let him go for College Mage Jzago and he dies in one blow. sucks ass. Im taking Jzago back to Dawnstar and getting Erandur back

Also.

1. What is the advantage of buying a house
2. Which is the best city to buy a house?
3. Which is the most powerful shout for all enemies

Arjen

horn
to complete the
grey beard quest
. The Restless dudes down in that dungeon are kicking my ass - I'm kind of destruction right now (only have fire) and I have the healing restoration spell. Is this game supposed to be kicking my ass so much? :(

I would say level 6 is a bit early to be fighting draugrs yeah.

Double D

horn
to complete the
grey beard quest

I just did this quest 2 days ago and I was level 35. They barely even knew I was there.

Listen, I can't help but recommend you try out archery (and sneak) if you haven't already. It looks like you are going with the same build I started off with, and it got to the point where I was getting destroyed with my little flame spell. I just didn't find it viable enough. Now I've perked up my acrhery and sneak tree, I can pretty much creep though undetected. I can kill those dwemer Centurion things with like 4 arrows. Falmer are a fucking joke, considering they are blind, and they can't hear me because of my sneakiness. I can just walk through the entire dungeon backstabbing them.

So anyways as a final piece of advice, just stop doing the main quest right now. Go do a couple guilds. You'll level up some, get some good perks, and get some good armor. I stopped exactly where you are at and did ALL the guilds, which I don't think I can recommend (story-wise it's kind of funky now). But definitely do a couple of them.

horn
to complete the
grey beard quest

Alternatively, if you don't want to do the guilds right now, and personally I wouldn't do them at level 6, just start exploring some random dungeons and doing some of the minor side quests you pick-up along the way. Not only will you gain experience, and better gear, you'll also get more accustomed to how the game works and get more comfortable with your skills.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm up to level 30, and I find that dragons are lot easier to kill with the
Dragonrend shout. Use the shout, when they're grounded, hack away, use the shout again, rinse, repeat.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm up to level 30, and I find that dragons are lot easier to kill with the
Dragonrend shout. Use the shout, when they're grounded, hack away, use the shout again, rinse, repeat.

I got the Dragonrend Shout around lvl 60...yeah...i pretty much waited until i had very little sidequests left before finishing the main quest. :lol

Conjurgation question:

I'm at level 100 on my Conjurgation and going for the master spells.

When I have master spells, can I do the following?

2 demora lords, 1 Fire, 1 Storm, 1 Frost antoarch that can spawn at the same time?

Also, I haven't put any perks into the undead or antoarch tree's. Are Demora lords considered undead? Which vertical should I go up?

"Become Ethereal. For those times you just need to jump off a goddamn mountain."

Or run through an insta-kill dwemer deathtrap. Become Ethereal is definitely one of the "essentials".

God, Aerin is such a tool. Can't believe he follows you wherever you go and moves into your house if you marry Mjoll...then she gets all moody if you kill the little stalker. Total deal breaker.

Or run through an insta-kill dwemer deathtrap. Become Ethereal is definitely one of the "essentials".

God, Aerin is such a tool. Can't believe he follows you wherever you go and moves into your house if you marry Mjoll...then she gets all moody if you kill the little stalker. Total deal breaker.

I stealth killed him in the basement of the Solitude house and she seemed not to notice. In fact, I hid his body in the storeroom, and a couple of days later it was gone, I like to think she got rid of it for me...

ShinNL

Conjurgation question:

I'm at level 100 on my Conjurgation and going for the master spells.

When I have master spells, can I do the following?

2 demora lords, 1 Fire, 1 Storm, 1 Frost antoarch that can spawn at the same time?

Also, I haven't put any perks into the undead or antoarch tree's. Are Demora lords considered undead? Which vertical should I go up?
No, you're still limited to casting up to 2 summons with the Twin Souls perk.

If you want more, there's:

-
A Ritual Stone, which revives unlimited amount of dead bodies once a day for a fixed amount of time.
-
A shout from main quest.
-
I believe there was a certain guild's power as well but I don't recall exactly what at the moment.

I stealth killed him in the basement of the Solitude house and she seemed not to notice. In fact, I hid his body in the storeroom, and a couple of days later it was gone, I like to think she got rid of it for me...

See, she should probably warn you that you're getting into an open relationship and that she and Aerin are already an "item". It's kind of important. Oh, well. She wouldn't appreciate me being in the Thieves' Guild, anyway.

I don't think I will run into the same issue with my cannibal companion.

Regarding shouts, I haven't been given any incentive to use any other shouts besides Unrelenting Force. Kind of disappointed in this regard.
Maybe I just don't get Unrelenting Force, but I've found it to be completely useless against my two-hander Nord. I'd rather use a shout that does damage, rather than blow my enemies away, then spend the whole time running towards them, practically undamaged, while they get up.

Yeah, this is the only other one that I've found useful thus far outside of Unrelenting Force.

Yeah, I use Fire Breath most of the time and Unrelenting Force as well. Some of the others are handy in specific situations, like Become Ethereal or the one that detects life.

The most disappointing for me is the Disarm shout. I love the idea in theory, but it pissed me off that I have it maxed out in strength and regularly have it say that the person I'm fighting is too powerful to disarm. Even Fulmars and such.

On the other hand, I'm pretty much immune to the Disarm shout from Deathlords now too.

Maybe I just don't get Unrelenting Force, but I've found it to be completely useless against my two-hander Nord. I'd rather use a shout that does damage, rather than blow my enemies away, then spend the whole time running towards them, practically undamaged, while they get up.

I find that the stagger is more useful than the full-on blast. It's really helpful if you are getting ganged up on, or you need some breathing room to use a spell/ switch weapons.

Top Bottom