• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

So has anyone actually got their smithing up high without grinding iron daggers? Seems like the only skill in the game that you can't really get up by just playing it.

Tom Penny

Jeez, I had a hard enough time reaching level 40. :/

Thanks for the info though, guess I'll spend some time grinding.

Keep making iron daggers. Go to blacksmith buy iron ore leather make daggers rinse and repeat.Just fast travel some were and go back next day. Even quicker if you know were there is multiple blacksmith that sell iron ore and leather. Doesn't take that long.

kai3345

Banned
I'm currently level 9, someone please tell me the dungeons will soon be something different than a cave of one person wide halls, with "Eagle, Snake, Fish" tablets and full of nothing but Draugers.

Esch

Banned
Nope, ya gotta grind grind grind. I mean you could spend money and time improving things and crafting new equipment to sell, but as far as cost efficiency/time really the iron dagger method is the best.

I've also been wearing gear with smithing bonuses before i hit the forge and that's worked rather well for getting stuff way above my level.

So about 40 hours, split between two characters. One Thief, Level 14 or so, and one Assassin, level 10 I think. The thief doesn't kill random (innocent) NPCs, and the assassin doesn't steal to get by. I like to think I'm rolling two similar, yet morally different characters.

Suffice to say I'm enjoying every moment this game offers.

The seemingly random encounters continue to baffle me. Any story-time GAFers may enjoy these little tales.

It was south-west of Whiterun, bordering the mountain pass. A pack of three wolves came at me. This situation is rather normal, of course, but just as they noticed me running by, a rabbit darted into view from behind a bush. It was dashing away from our battle at top speed. Two of the three wolves came to attack me, and suddenly the third wolf went off chasing after the rabbit. It was a tiny situation, granted, but it makes complete sense. The game's AI seemed to dictate that at least one of the wolves hunt the extremely weak rabbit, while the other two kept on attacking my character. It was a nice little touch.

On my way to Riften, I took a steepening path past a saw mill at the bottom, next to a river and a giant waterfall. There was a bear on the side of the path, and it came lunging. I must have been a low level because I hauled ass like nobody's business. I ran to the top of the waterfall and took a giant leap into the river below, successfully evading the bear. And thank christ the river was deep at the bottom! I coasted along the river back to the saw mill, and cautiously headed back up the path. The bear was gone, but there were three dead travelers on the road. Presumably those poor fellows had satisfied the bear's blood lust, and it left for other pastures. I took some of the travelers' clothes and armor, then decided to try something. I dragged the bodies and threw them over the waterfall. I was genuinely curious about what would happen. So I ran back down to the saw mill and stood by the river. It took a few minutes, but sure enough those guys came floating downriver with the current. I had to just sit back for a moment and think about what had happened.

Not a lot of other RPGs really let you do what Skyrim does. And it's not even the storyline or the dragon-business.

In fact, I haven't even triggered the conversation that starts the main game, so to speak. With either character. At this point I'm just enjoying the world before shit goes down.

I could go one for much longer, but god damn. This game will last me for years.

Zeliard

Apart from using a ton of potions, how did most people here defeat Morokei?

I'm a level 21 assassin mage with about 60 points in my Destruction skill and he absolutely murdered me. One shot from him took my life down to 10 HP and dual-casted fireballs (with +25% fire damage perk) took only like 5 to 10% of his life when they hit directly. Having to spend magicka on healing myself drained my mana even more. I resorted to cheesing him by sneaking and dual fireballing him from the doorway and backing away until he lost his aggro and doing this repeatedly to kill him, which needless to say, wasn't very satisfying at all. But there was just no way I could have taken him on in single combat unless I chugged a shitload of potions. Am I doing something wrong?

Loved fighting that guy.

I was level 20 and I'm a Conjuration/Destruction mage with some Restoration on the side. Playing on Master.

I fairly quickly learned to put my Conjuration stuff away since he turns your summons on you (which wasn't a huge issue with Oblivion Binding but still pointless to summon anything). Had my companion with me, Brelyna the Conjurer.

What was really critical in that fight was Steadfast Ward. In fact you find it shortly before that boss as I recall, which was a subtle hint that it could come in handy in the upcoming fight. Potions (at least health ones) never really came into play for me since Morokei's lightning attack was one-shotting me even with some shock damage protection on, but Steadfast Ward managed to eat his attacks pretty effectively.

His shots would shatter the ward every time but it wouldn't hit my health, and I would just launch back with firebolts while getting another ward up. Brelyna herself went down fairly easily and regularly to Morokei's attacks so I used Healing Hands and Courage to keep her in the battle. The main attack I used was that ol' standby, dual-cast Firebolt. I used the
Slow Time
shout a few times to get more attacks off in between his.

Took quite a while but he eventually went down. Really enjoyed that fight.

I'm getting quite the hilarious/frustrating bug. I asked Camilia to marry me (the shopkeepers sister from Riverwood). So I go to the Temple of Mara to arrange the marriage and the guy tells me to come back tomorrow. So I wait the few hours and when I go inside I find Lydia dead on the ground, mind you SHE DIED in a dungeon a long time ago. Then nobody inside will talk to me and tells me to leave. Even Camilia says "I can't believe you" lol. Any ideas?

so OP

ibbPMMkoM2HIiA.png

What Smithing level did you have for the upgrades? Those seem higher than the normal level 100 upgrades.

Spike6663

Doesn't this break the game?

Once I read how OP you can become through crafting etc... I stopped. I have a full set of glass armor but it was purchased/found.

Can someone explain why this would break the game? After Oblivion, I'm hesitant to play too much until I understand these sort of things.

Echoplx

Doesn't this break the game?

Once I read how OP you can become through crafting etc... I stopped. I have a full set of glass armor but it was purchased/found.

Everything's damn easy now but I finished all the important content before I leveled that high, this will probably break the DLC though :p

Luthos

Can someone explain why this would break the game? After Oblivion, I'm hesitant to play too much until I understand these sort of things.

Well you level up by getting skill ups.

And you can get Smithing skill ups without even leaving a city and fighting people. I mean it's the way the game is made, but people are used to leveling up through battle.

ElyrionX

Loved fighting that guy.

I was level 20 and I'm a Conjuration/Destruction mage with some Restoration on the side. Playing on Master.

I fairly quickly learned to put my Conjuration stuff away since he turns your summons on you (which wasn't a huge issue with Oblivion Binding but still pointless to summon anything). Had my companion with me, Brelyna the Conjurer.

What was really critical in that fight was Steadfast Ward. In fact you find it shortly before that boss as I recall, which was a subtle hint that it could come in handy in the upcoming fight. Potions (at least health ones) never really came into play for me since Morokei's lightning attack was one-shotting me even with some shock damage protection on, but Steadfast Ward managed to eat his attacks pretty effectively.

His shots would shatter the ward every time but it wouldn't hit my health, and I would just launch back with firebolts while getting another ward up. Brelyna herself went down fairly easily and regularly to Morokei's attacks so I used Healing Hands and Courage to keep her in the battle. The main attack I used was that ol' standby, dual-cast Firebolt. I used the
Slow Time

Don't you run out of mana quickly doing this?

Zeliard

Don't you run out of mana quickly doing this?

Steadfast Ward is an Apprentice-level spell. With the perk that halves magicka use for Apprentice spells in the Restoration tree, it doesn't sap your magicka that quickly. If you have solid magicka regen in general you're good to go. Use your sprint and get behind some natural cover to regenerate mana, and/or use a companion as a distraction. Standing in the open against Morokei is definitely suicide, without a ward up.

fanboi

Banned
Dual casting with firebolt so the enemy is knocked back is broken... since you can kite all enemies with it (dragon? yes, giant? hell yeah).

I hope they nerf it.

EDIT: I also killed Morokei on level 10 on Expert.

grendelrt

You can grind using very low level weapons in armor and get very high level in smithing really quickly. THen you can make the best armor and weapons in the game at a lower level than they should be available. You can also do the same thing with enchanting. Personally what I do is, wait until an item shows up in the game then I craft a set by running around and finding materials. I dont want to make the game easy, no challenge would make it boring for me at least.

nubbe

Here I walk around in Skyrim feeling pretty awesome after fulfilling my life long dream of doing two giants at the same time... and out of nowhere some undead dude jumps out of a crypt and proceed to fuck me up :(

Hugs

Here I walk around in Skyrim feeling pretty awesome after fulfilling my life long dream of doing two giants at the same time... and out of nowhere some undead dude jumps out of a crypt and proceed to fuck me up :(

Must have been
one of the dragon priests.
I met one of those after fighting a dragon. Good times were not had.

Zeliard

The wards are godly. If you're a mage you don't want to forsake those. The Steadfast Ward will outright eat a Blood Dragon's spray without shattering, allowing you to just sit right in front of one and shoot whatever at him.

Danneee

Damn, third time this game locks up on me. Twice on loading screens and once in battle. I sure hope Beth. have fixed this in the upcoming patch.

Tenck

Haha, I remember something a bit like this. It involves mammoths though.

I had killed two mammoths and thought I was a god among men. Saw a giant and decided it was his time to die. Let's just say I saw my life flash before my eyes. I even got to see all of Skyrim from up in the air.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm currently level 9, someone please tell me the dungeons will soon be something different than a cave of one person wide halls, with "Eagle, Snake, Fish" tablets and full of nothing but Draugers.

The dungeons will soon be something different than a cave of one person wide halls, with "Eagle, Snake, Fish" tablets and full of nothing but Draugers.

What should I be doing to help in fights against high level spell users? Armor does nothing and lesser spellward shatters and stuns with each hit. I am pretty high level (46) and made the mistake of focusing on light armor then switching to heavy armor (dragon armor is hideous) and split my level upgrades relatively evenly between health, magicka and stamina. Now every spell user is casting a high level lightning spell that kills me in 2 or 3 hits and also seems to sap stamina. I don't want to have to cheese each fight by using stealth and manipulating AI routines - battles change when I can get in close (dual wielding) and strafe my target (assuming it is 1 on 1) but getting there is a major issue. Despite my levels and the 70hrs spent in the game, I have done none of the Mage college quests. Is there some spells to learn that will buff my magic defence considerably?

Also - it is a bit bizarre that some enemies are able to kill you in 2 or 3 arrows or sword hits when you have a 550 armor rating and they are using an ebony sword/bow (with orcish arrows). I have a legendary ebony sword crafted with the 50% buff and 2x damage single handed modifier, yet even though they are wearing studded armor and I am using power strikes it takes over a dozen hits to kill them...

Yep. The Draugr Death Overlord (not to be confused with a Draugr Deathlord) I met at level 17 was the toughest guy I've fought outside of Morokei. Nothing else has even come close to those two yet.

Yeah. I met one around level 15-ish in an outside location near the Cyrodiil border. It took me over an hour of constantly dying and chasing him around ruined towers before I could bring him down.

Netted me an awesome Ebony sword, though.

xxczx

oh wow, I got a quest (not a misc quest) from opening a book.

I was just stealing all the books from
Emperor Titus' room on the Katariah
and a quest popped up.

Lakitu

st5fu
Awesome. I found an unmarked dungeon called Darkwater Pass. It was
full of Falmer.

Edit: Oh, apparently it wasn't unmarked. Only, I went in another side :p

Loved fighting that guy.

Slow Time

very difficult fight. i took out his first 2 guys then found a way to hide behind the stairs, run out, hit him with a firebolt, go back, hide, rinse and repeat. i also had fast healing in my left hand as he kept hurting me when i came out. id heal, shoot, rinse and repeat.

Plasmid

Been runnin around, i think im almost 70 smithing off grinding iron daggers :lol.

Really wanna get daedric armor but it's a heavy armor and mine sucks. :(

i did hit 75 one handed though! only level 22 lol.

edgefusion

Got a question about the thieves guild.
I just got the skeleton key, and its awesome. Problem is Karliah seems to want me to get rid of it, so I'm scared to do the next quest. Do you get to keep it?

You don't get to keep it and none of the rewards you get from the quest line are better than it either.

Zeliard

very difficult fight. i took out his first 2 guys then found a way to hide behind the stairs, run out, hit him with a firebolt, go back, hide, rinse and repeat. i also had fast healing in my left hand as he kept hurting me when i came out. id heal, shoot, rinse and repeat.

Morokei is definitely rough. The only reason Steadfast Ward works well against him is because you're able to get the ward back up in between his attacks, since they're single shots.

That does mean he can one-shot you from the other side of the environment but it also means you can recharge your ward while he primes the next shot.

Van Owen

Banned
Awesome, just noticed my azuras star is no longer in my inventory after finishing the party story quest and all my saves are after the point of the game.

Fucking piece of shit Bethesda game bugs.

xxczx

Lydia is so reliable... or I just got lucky.

I told her to go home when I was on a Brotherhood quest, after I finished up killing someone in Whiterun, I was on the run from the guards. Leaving Whiterun, Lydia is only just returning home from Solitude and helps me escape. As I jump down from the wall, I see my horse running into the battle with Lydia. I don't know what to say guys, true companions are right here

Plasmid

Something for people to know.

If you have a shit load of iron daggers and a shit load of soul gems, enchant them for good profit, you usually make your money back

charsace

I've made a paladin
werewolf
female nord that's a wrecking machine. Right now I'm level 23 and have:

restoration
2 handed
heavy armor
smithing
enchanting
a little archery

Shit is boss. When I get to around half power i heal up and then switch back to my sword and wreck shop. Right now I have 21% two hand boost with my armor in combination with the perks for the 2 handed sword and so I'm on a beheading spree. Trolls haven't been able to stand up to me once I reached around level 12 or 13.

Lydia with the steel plate armor and a two handed axe is a fucking boss.

Love this game.

Forkball

If you upgrade an item via smithing first, can you not enchant it? If you want both do you need to enchant, THEN upgrade it via smithing?

Also I have no idea how to refill charges on my enchanted weapons.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Made a shitty video showing the crappy lag/stuttering on PS3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy36Pn0D1BM

If you upgrade an item via smithing first, can you not enchant it? If you want both do you need to enchant, THEN upgrade it via smithing?

Also I have no idea how to refill charges on my enchanted weapons.

You need a perk to do that.

And to refill charges, hit R2 on the weapon in the menu and it lets you pick an available soul-gem to refill.

Drazgul

Awesome, just noticed my azuras star is no longer in my inventory after finishing the party story quest and all my saves are after the point of the game.

Fucking piece of shit Bethesda game bugs.

If you're on PC: player.additem 63b27 1

If on console... well, check the containers you usually use, you might've just accidentally put it there. :p

Top Bottom