• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

rumsey

Xenius has released all his mods packaged together which is pretty cool.

Beats having lots of separate files.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2356

Finally! For reference here is an excerpt from a chat with a friend earlier this week:

rumsey said:
rumsey: couldn't he just have a mod called DETAILED PEOPLE?
rumsey: why do i have do download Detailed Left Molar, Detailed Right Hand Fingernail, Detailed Brown Shoelace
rumsey: honestly I don't think he could have made this any more of a pain

Despite my complaints, I do love the mods.

Enco

How do you guys manage your mods?

Nexus Mod manager or something else?
Check out the OP and the last page.

Mod Organizer is the best right now. NMM has nothing on it based on organization. All mods are sorted nicely in their own folder and the program is extremely stable.

Special J

Banned
Do you mean MSAA? AFAIK the SMAA injector doesn't have configurable options for low/medium/high/ultra.

Also, what does "FXAA injector" represent? FXAA with Bloom + Techinicolor + Tonemap + Pre/Post Sharpen? The others are individual?

SMAA by default uses ULTRA, you have to set a define to use the other quality settings, the FXAA is with only FXAA enabled, i've separated each thing to gives a better sense of each feature's cost.

Enco

The problem was that I was using injector settings for version 1.3, while I had 1.2 :)

Thanks though
Haha glad it's sorted.

I took some new shots if anyone wants to have a look:

Shots were taken with Steam because I was too lazy to load fraps, take pics, convert them and upload them.

Special J

Banned
so i went to benchmark a few settings but noticed my baseline changed after an hour of messing with stuff i think i may have found a bug that can give ~4fps.

make sure to disable this if you're not using a controller. i think what is happening is if you have the box checked skyrim will constantly poll your usb devices and drop your framerate slightly.
pGn4V.jpg

@enco so you're not using any injectors? and 4xmsaa?

Enco

so i went to benchmark a few settings but noticed my baseline changed after an hour of messing with stuff i think i may have found a bug that can give ~4fps.

make sure to disable this if you're not using a controller. i think what is happening is if you have the box checked skyrim will constantly poll your usb devices and drop your framerate slightly.
http://i.imgur.com/pGn4V.jpg[/IM G]

@enco so you're not using any injectors? and 4xmsaa?[/QUOTE]
I actually haven't tried those settings yet.

Decided to just play instead of mess around with things today haha. I'm using a slightly modified version of the Himmelsrand shaders posted by Confidence Man.

I'll give the other settings you posted a go tomorrow and see what they're like.

edit: I only have the tonemap enabled and I'm using 8x AA.

Grassy

Started getting a strange bug whenever I open a chest or loot a body where the X button on the 360 controller won't respond so I can't select "Take All". The X button works fine in other menus and in gameplay but just not on that screen, weird.

Erethian

Awesome. It looks really nice too. If they said with next patch that should be sometime next week I hope.

Yeah, they're just about ready to put it out for testing.

Reason they're waiting for the patch released next week is because a lot of people reverted to the old interface.bsa because of the bugs introduced by the 1.2 patch. Because of potential compatibility issues they need to assume everyone is using the same version of interface.bsa

hlhbk

I have a question. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 superclocked
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

Should these specs be enough to get a solid 60 FPS out of vanilla oblivion with the 4 GB mod at 1920x1200 on ultra or high? I ask because I am not seeing it and I want to know if its something with my system?

Anyone?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm actually gonna try those. They do look great and I have room to spare with my 2GB GPU memory.

Definitely notably sized at nearly 200MB. SHould be good and gauging all the comments, it looks like a good addition to the game.

Sethos

Banned
Slow internet so it should be about 15-20 minutes to test and look at different environments.

Nice, looking forward to it, hope it's good.

By the way, anyone know a bit about the FXAA Injector sharpening settings? These are my current settings under sharpening;

#define SharpenEdge 0.2
#define Sharpen_val0 1.2

I wish to keep the game sharp and I've used these settings for +30 hours but I'd like to tone it down just a bit, because certain textures and especially trees have this tendency to show single white spots, a bi-product of the sharpening.

Do I just bump it down to say 1.0 or 0.9, or how do these settings work and what does edge do specifically?

LiquidMetal14

What kind of performance hit? I can't get a solid 60 FPS as it is now.

I dropped that theory a while back when I started getting the game to look so good. It's above 30fps all the time and mostly 60 so I can't say I'm unhappy since the game looks very good and this mod will make things even better.

hlhbk

I dropped that theory a while back when I started getting the game to look so good. It's above 30fps all the time and mostly 60 so I can't say I'm unhappy since the game looks very good and this mod will make things even better.

I am willing to have the game not look 100% awesome and get as close to 60 FPS as I can. Performance is much more important that eye candy. Not to be mean, but if I wanted 30 FPS I would have got it on 360.

Kyaw

Nice, looking forward to it, hope it's good.

By the way, anyone know a bit about the FXAA Injector sharpening settings? These are my current settings under sharpening;

#define SharpenEdge 0.2
#define Sharpen_val0 1.2

I wish to keep the game sharp and I've used these settings for +30 hours but I'd like to tone it down just a bit, because certain textures and especially trees have this tendency to show single white spots, a bi-product of the sharpening.

Do I just bump it down to say 1.0 or 0.9, or how do these settings work and what does edge do specifically?

From what i've seen, Edge sharpens only the edges while Sharpen Value controls the whole thing.

I have my edge sharpen value at 0.0.

LiquidMetal14

I am willing to have the game not look 100% awesome and get as close to 60 FPS as I can. Performance is much more important that eye candy. Not to be mean, but if I wanted 30 FPS I would have got it on 360.

I had the 60fps mentality at first but quickly went out the window when I started making the game look more jaw dropping. You still get higher res graphics, better effects, textures, and still runs better than consoles. It's worth the compromise and it still runs 60fps about 75% of the time. I know where you're coming from though.

Syringe

I've searched the thread and didn't see this question, but I've noticed that I can't give my items to followers on the PC version of Skyrim. On Xbox 360 it works just fine. I assume this is a bug, but do anyone of all the computer savvy people on Neogaf know a workaround?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's weird. Every mod that causes my game to crash for me only crashes when I try to enter Whiterun. Everywere else is fine :(

Mine was crashing in WR all the time till I used the LAA exe. Now though whenever I enter buildings in WR the walls are missing. I'm sure a few mods will fix it in time. I shouldn't have installed so many at once! :lol

Demon Ice

Banned
Game just started CTD'ing whenever I quicksave, and now I can't even load a save before it crashes. Pathetic. It's a shame because the game itself is amazing, but Bethesda's shoddy coding and non-existent QA have absolutely raped the experience for me. I'm so tired of paying to be a beta tester.

The LAA helped for a while, no idea where to go from here. I'm not running any other mods at all, totally vanilla.

Not sure exactly where to look but I did notice more of a tessellation like effect on the ground. I snapped pics of leaves and some rocks sticking out. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure how different it is but there is no performance hit on my 2GB GPU. The game does look nicer and has a little more depth with these textures. I only went to about 5 locations so this is what I could find now.

Those are the vanilla textures.

LiquidMetal14

Those are the vanilla textures.

The mods were disabled, you're right. I had to double check to see for myself. I took these 2 now and I thought they were definitely better but honestly, I don't spend a lot of time staring at the ground in this game. I took the other 4 down as they're not needed. And again, no performance hit.

tesv2011-12-0321-51-1cnj2f.png

tesv2011-12-0321-54-1rukm3.png

Demon Ice

Banned
You try backing up and deleting all but the last 5 saves?

Yup. I know the issues with the save folder getting too large, I backed up and deleted all but the most recent one. No go. Had to re-verify on Steam.

The 4 files it had to validate were the TESV.exe, Skyrim.esm, and the Meshes and Interface .bsa files. Of those 4, the only two I had altered myself were the Interface.bsa (rolled it back to fix the patch issues) and the TESV.exe (LAA patch). No idea what happened with the other 2.

HooYaH

Haha glad it's sorted.

I took some new shots if anyone wants to have a look:

Shots were taken with Steam because I was too lazy to load fraps, take pics, convert them and upload them.

Sorry Enco, but that Earth looks so out of place that it should be nuked from orbit.

Top Bottom