• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Just tried AO. Disgusting. Even on the 'Quality' setting the shimmering in the distance on grass and such is horrendous. It's even worse than the FXAA mod (which also generates shimmering on certain textures).

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yes. With AO enabled.

Yikes. Guess it's personal taste. AO rocks.

What do you actually think looks horrible about them? The colours? The shadows?

the shadows, the extreme contrast between there feet on the floor and then a fully lit, solid floor is jaring. The colors look fine and good (though pretty flat and undynamic inside, i guess thats whats making it seem overly 1 dementional, the shadows are too soft and subtle for an inside lightsource like that).

And the outside windows look like a Goldeneye texture thrown into the world of skyrim, just very low res looking.

Enco

the shadows, the extreme contrast between there feet on the floor and then a fully lit, solid floor is jaring. The colors look fine and good (though pretty flat and undynamic inside, i guess thats whats making it seem overly 1 dementional, the shadows are too soft and subtle for an inside lightsource like that).

And the outside windows look like a Goldeneye texture thrown into the world of skyrim, just very low res looking.
What platform do play the game on?

Have you seen the vanilla game?

I don't see how your game would look any different apart from the shading.

Demon Ice

Banned
Find a small room

Hit ~

Open up the console

Type 'pcb'

Save

Exit game

Reload save.

Also, there's an ini setting that'll do this periodically to keep you from CTD'ing. I use it and I haven't CTD'd since.

Thanks, what does that command do and why does it require being in a small room? And what is the .ini command?

Erethian

Thanks, what does that command do and why does it require being in a small room? And what is the .ini command?

pcb stands for purge cell buffer, which empties out your cache of cells to free up memory. Which is why it's best to be in a small interior (like a house), because that room counts as its own cell. Which will be the only cell remaining in memory after the purge.

Demon Ice

Banned
pcb stands for purge cell buffer, which empties out your cache of cells to free up memory. Which is why it's best to be in a small interior (like a house), because that room counts as its own cell. Which will be the only cell remaining in memory after the purge.

Ah I see, thank you. Do you know the .ini command for it? And also, if I use the .ini command, is there a chance it will purge the buffers when I am outdoors, or will it only do it indoors?

Pagusas

Elden Member
What platform do play the game on?

Have you seen the vanilla game?

I don't see how your game would look any different apart from the shading.

PC, and im not commenting on the quality of the overal graphics and saying "what did you do to destroy this!" more on the composition, and from the overall flatness of the picture i thought it was having a lighting issue that some people with 1.2 have had (overly bright, dynamic shadows somehow removed). I thought your post was demonstrating a glitch from 1.2, both in the lighting and windows. Obviously I was wrong, I'm sure my game looks the same I just havnt been in a similar area at the same time or had things in the same way.

Haunted

Does anyone else get giant kids? I'm thinking it's the killable children mod?

Also, how can I delete a mission? The thieves guild wants me to rob an orphan and the game won't let me.
oh god that's freaky. Good thing they're killable.

And what do you mean, "delete a mission"? Random quests specifying a target that makes completing the mission impossible is a known issue. :/ I remember reading it in the compilation of bugs on the official forums but can't find the thread again.

Is anyone have more issues with ground textures not loading properly (sometimes not until I'm standing right on top of them), the more they play?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is anyone have more issues with ground textures not loading properly (sometimes not until I'm standing right on top of them), the more they play?

Yes. Not every single instance but it's far more frequent than it should be.

And my save file is now at 12MB with about 50 hours of play time.

rumsey

Don't run your game off the same constantly overwritten save for your entire playthrough.

I question the validity of this statement, for several reasons.

1) Overwriting a save file with a new one does not "reuse" it in any traditional sense, it deletes the old file and creates a new one.
2) I've been using the same 2-3 slots (they really aren't) for 50+ hours.
3) The games autosave feature only cycles 3 slots as well.

AFAIK there isn't any indication overwriting a save has any effects on new saves, it sounds and awful lot like conjecture ("oh I have a corrupt save, I was overwriting an old save, it must be a problem with using old saves").

Ah I see, thank you. Do you know the .ini command for it? And also, if I use the .ini command, is there a chance it will purge the buffers when I am outdoors, or will it only do it indoors?

I'll get it for you.

I question the validity of this statement, for several reasons.

1) Overwriting a save file with a new one does not "reuse" it in any traditional sense, it deletes the old file and creates a new one.
2) I've been using the same 2-3 slots (they really aren't) for 50+ hours.
3) The games autosave feature only cycles 3 slots as well.

AFAIK there isn't any indication overwriting a save has any effects on new saves, it sounds and awful lot like conjecture ("oh I have a corrupt save, I was overwriting an old save, it must be a problem with using old saves").

Do whatever you want. But Oblivion, FO3, and FO New Vegas all had save game corruption problems. With today's massive hard drive sizes, why wouldn't you keep lots and lots of extras if corruption occurs? At least then you have something to roll back to.

LiquidMetal14

I tried a few settings that I found in the unlocked Skyrim.ini but none of the settings would take. Heck, I don't know even know of one guide that has succesfully tweaked lighting LOD. I wish someone that knows what the heck they're doing would respond.

[LightingShader]
fEyeEnvmapLODEnd=0.0500
fRefractionLODFadeEnd=0.0300
fRefractionLODFadeStart=0.0250
fDecalLODFadeEnd=0.0600
fDecalLODFadeStart=0.0500
fEnvmapLODFadeEnd=0.1000
fEnvmapLODFadeStart=0.0900
fSpecularLODFadeEnd=0.1000
fSpecularLODFadeStart=0.0900

and

[Display]
fLightLODMaxStartFade=1200.0000
fLightLODMinStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODRange=500.0000
fLightLODDefaultStartFade=1000.0000

Those are the settings I'm dealing with and they do nothing.

Something else that is very interesting is that if I look at a pillar that just lit up in a dungeon BUT then I turn up, down, left, or right, the lighting starts to fade. But when I go back to looking at the lit surface it looks like it should. I still get the pop in but I'm starting to wonder if it's what the game wants to render based on where you're looking. Either way I'm still getting lighting pop-in and tree shadows that appear to be tied to a similar radius.

There is a setting somewhere in which tree shadows or shadows in general AND lighting in dungeons can be extended.

And for the record, I tried putting these settings in Skyrim, Skyrim Prefs, and VeryHigh.ini's.

been playing around with the "unofficial" 11.12 driver and may be its just me but skyrim seems to run a little smoother for me. I haven't been playing for long so this is nothing to go by but everything seemed "overall" better. My "test" was going into the first dungeon and seeing if the microstutter was still there. It is. but I remember getting slight drops in frames outside of the first dungeon and it ran perfectly fine for me.

Im running on a single 5850 so I don't know what this will/won't do for people with crossfire

Not sure what is wrong but I have a q6600, 4gb of ram and a gtx 560 TI and in the open world the game gets right around 30 on high.. seems to be worse after the batch. I had to lower my settings to Medium. :(

Not sure what is wrong but I have a q6600, 4gb of ram and a gtx 560 TI and in the open world the game gets right around 30 on high.. seems to be worse after the batch. I had to lower my settings to Medium. :(

Can you overclock your q6600? My e7200 is at 3.5ghz (stock is ~2.5ghz, similar to the q6600) and with 4gb DDR2 and a GTX560 I get better frames than that on higher settings (ultra with 2x AA, medium decals, tree and land shadows and a few other tweaks and mods): between 30 and 60 outdoors, usually around the 45 mark.

I have a slower Core2Quad and my outdoors performance is fine, definitely far above 30 FPS average. Edit: Running with the Ultra presets plus some shadow tweaks.

Also can I get that .ini command for the purge cell buffer? :p

Change this in Skyrim.ini

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

Needs to be under [BSPathing] if you don't have the extended skyrim.ini.

ntb825

I'm running a Q6600 and a 5870 on Ultra and I'm getting 20-30 in towns, 45-60 when exploring, and a locked 60 in dungeons.

Enco

PC, and im not commenting on the quality of the overal graphics and saying "what did you do to destroy this!" more on the composition, and from the overall flatness of the picture i thought it was having a lighting issue that some people with 1.2 have had (overly bright, dynamic shadows somehow removed). I thought your post was demonstrating a glitch from 1.2, both in the lighting and windows. Obviously I was wrong, I'm sure my game looks the same I just havnt been in a similar area at the same time or had things in the same way.
Haha ok that's cool.

I was just confused because I hadn't messed around with the lighting or anything.

oh god that's freaky. Good thing they're killable.

And what do you mean, "delete a mission"? Random quests specifying a target that makes completing the mission impossible is a known issue. :/ I remember reading it in the compilation of bugs on the official forums but can't find the thread again.
I meant completely remove a mission from your quest log. However, I reloaded to before I got the mission and it's ok now after disabling the mod.

Demon Ice

Banned
Change this in Skyrim.ini

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

Needs to be under [BSPathing] if you don't have the extended skyrim.ini.

Thanks! Testing now.

Edit: Still crashing when I fast travel. I did the console purge too. Any other ideas? What's in the extended Skyrim.ini?

Edit 2: It's something to do with Falkreath. I just successfully fast travelled to Whiterun, and then crashed again when I tried to go to Falkreath. Curious...

I tried a few settings that I found in the unlocked Skyrim.ini but none of the settings would take. Heck, I don't know even know of one guide that has succesfully tweaked lighting LOD. I wish someone that knows what the heck they're doing would respond.

[LightingShader]
fEyeEnvmapLODEnd=0.0500
fRefractionLODFadeEnd=0.0300
fRefractionLODFadeStart=0.0250
fDecalLODFadeEnd=0.0600
fDecalLODFadeStart=0.0500
fEnvmapLODFadeEnd=0.1000
fEnvmapLODFadeStart=0.0900
fSpecularLODFadeEnd=0.1000
fSpecularLODFadeStart=0.0900

and

[Display]
fLightLODMaxStartFade=1200.0000
fLightLODMinStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODRange=500.0000
fLightLODDefaultStartFade=1000.0000

Those are the settings I'm dealing with and they do nothing.

Something else that is very interesting is that if I look at a pillar that just lit up in a dungeon BUT then I turn up, down, left, or right, the lighting starts to fade. But when I go back to looking at the lit surface it looks like it should. I still get the pop in but I'm starting to wonder if it's what the game wants to render based on where you're looking. Either way I'm still getting lighting pop-in and tree shadows that appear to be tied to a similar radius.

There is a setting somewhere in which tree shadows or shadows in general AND lighting in dungeons can be extended.

And for the record, I tried putting these settings in Skyrim, Skyrim Prefs, and VeryHigh.ini's.

What's the problem with dungeon lighting? I haven't noticed it myself.

Dietlama

Neo Member
Performance Question:
Outdoor framerate is pretty solid at 60. Towns dip to low 50's but the drop is jarring and "feels" much lower.

Worse than that, and my real question here: in dungeons the game will chug, sometimes as far down as the low 30's. It happens when there are more than four or five candles, braziers or any sort of indoor fog/mist. Number of enemies onscreen does not affect this in any visible way.

Any idea how to fix this?

i5-2500
4GB RAM
560 Ti 1GB
GT240 in slot 2 for PhysX (no Skyrim support, right?)
Win 7 32bit

Ultra Settings plus tree and land shadows ini
4xMSAA, AF
Happens with or without mods

Thanks in advance, this thread is awesome.

nataku

Anyone else have the Skyrim 4GB mod give you an application load error all of a sudden, even though it was working fine before?

I've changed nothing on my PC but all of a sudden when I went to start up Skyrim today I've getting Application load error P:0000065432

EDIT: And restarting Steam fixed it. Weird.

And now when I start the game up I get no audio at all.

I don't understand this. If I play the game on my PC monitor, I get sound. As soon as I switch to my HDTV via HDMI, I get nothing. It was working just fine before with the audio being sent to my receiver whether I was playing on my monitor or HDTV but now all of a sudden it stops working.

LiquidMetal14

Patch 1.3 Notes:

General stability improvements
Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs
Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just had 'Steam has finished downloading Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim....' pop up on my monitor.

edit: nvm

coopolon

Patch 1.3 Notes:

General stability improvements
Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs

Wow, now I am really excited to try it. And I was getting acceptable performance before on my e8400.

Didn't they mess up something in the interface with 1.2? That's why everyone had to backup their interface.bsa? Surprised that's not mentioned, and it concerns me because I really want that inventory mod to come out.

LiquidMetal14

I can't tell anything yet regarding performance. I was able to play it with my old 1.1 exe with LAA and got some performance back. I will try to patch LAA into the new exe.

In light of the new patch, should I undo the multi threaded changes I made to my ini files last night? I'm not even sure if they helped with anything.

moop1167

Great but did they fix any bugged quests? I can't advance in the Thieve's guild quest line because the supposed quest giver won't start it for me.

spirity

I'm hoping the ctd's are gone. I've been holding off from playing partly because of that and partly because I'm getting a new pc this weekend. Can't fuggin wait.

Top Bottom