• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Is there any way to reduce the flickering caused by AO? I'm running performance level AO and the flickering can get quite bad. Also, is there a way of reducing the distance of AO as it seems to highlight features far ahead when they're not meant to be really visible.

Turn it up. Visually the performance setting is very spotty, but quality is good. It's sort of wierd as it was flickering for me pretty badly at one point, even on high quality, but for whatever reason it just stopped and now I get no flicker at all.

Phandy

sky UI is absolutely 100% necessary for everyone. Best mod yet hands down.
Cant believe it only took 1 month for them to make it. It makes Beths ui look even worse by comparison.

Cant wait for them to update with magic next.

Durante

I think it's really impressive that the script extender (SKSE) already implements useful features for mods such as SkyUI when the construction set hasn't even been released yet.

Cant believe it only took 1 month for them to make it. It makes Beths ui look even worse by comparison.
Not just Beths, IMHO it makes every PC RPG UI look worse by comparison.

coopolon

How is SkyUI with a gamepad, and not Mouse+Keyboard?

You cannot sort by column or filter inventory with a gamepad (which means you also can't see v/w since that is not a seperate column), however you can still move through the inventory just like you can without SkyUI and now you get the much imrpoved layout with weight, value, damage/armor in columns. You lose the ability to assign weapons/magic with RT/LT to specific hands.

Durante

Played a few hours with SkyUI now, it's so good. The only bad thing about it is that all the other menus in the game seem even worse by comparison! When they're done, Bethesda should just buy it off them and bundle it with the inevitable Game of the Year edition.

Phandy

I dont neccasarily think I'm having a problem.
But when I run skyUI in the top right of the item screen it says a little error like; 'not running SKSE or need latest version' or something. But the UI appears to run completely fine so it might be bug.

Can anyone lay out how to install SKSE?
I did this; I dropped the exe/dlls in the folder, and ran the exe. The readme said run it with a -editor but that gave me a 'no creation kit' error. Do you have to run the game from SKSE every time you run the game? I get the ui error in-game no matter where I run skyrim from.

Durante

Without SKSE the 3D model of the items will not be positioned correctly, and the text filter doesn't work.

To use SKSE, you need to drop the dlls and the exe in the skyrim folder (the main one, not the data/ subfolder like other mods) and then launch the game using the included launcher.
You can also use the 4GB launcher, which will also include the skse dlls when it finds them. That's the setup I use.

JVIDICAN

Holy shit. I had my PS3 controller still plugged into the computer for dolphin use. Started skyrim, and then discovered there's a F'ing sprint button! lol. How the hell do you do this on a keyboard? :3

How well does SkyUI work with the keyboard? I like the implemented UI, because I don't have to use the mouse. Everything works really fast and well with tab+wasd+e+r.

coopolon

Oh. Thanks!
Feels kinda uncomfortable on the keyboard.
The speed boost is fantastic though! Fallout 3 and NV never had this did they?

First thing I do with every Bethesda game is remap the buttons. As far back as Morrowind they've had some pretty bizarre key choices that run counter to how every other PC game plays.

Skyrim is actually not as bad as they have been in the past, but I immediately swapped shift and alt.

How well does SkyUI work with the keyboard? I like the implemented UI, because I don't have to use the mouse. Everything works really fast and well with tab+wasd+e+r.

As far as I can tell all of that functionality is intact. You'll have to use the mouse to filter and sort though I think.

RedSwirl

Okay, for some reason Whiterun turns the game into a slideshow on AMD's new 11.11 drivers. Anyone else have this problem?

So I guess the SkyUI isn't for those who play with a gamepad?

I just tried it and while I can navigate menus fine I got a CTD as soon as I hit a shoulder button (with freshly-downloaded copies of the 4gb loader and script extender). I'd uninstalled it for now, to wait for a later version.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Sadly, this caricature is still close to reality in Skyrim.

radiantai6kx.jpg

Only perhaps the third part is replaced with "running away" instead of staring at wall.

Just recently my Redguard's horse wildly charge at an enemy mage while the Redguard is using power-attack, thus the attack ended up on the horse. Similar things have already occurred with NPC companions during skirmish with hostile NPCs.

coopolon

Sadly, this caricature is still close to reality in Skyrim.

radiantai6kx.jpg

Only perhaps the third part is replaced with "running away" instead of staring at wall.

Just recently my Redguard's horse wildly charge at an enemy mage while the Redguard is using power-attack, thus the attack ended up on the horse. Similar things have already occurred with NPC companions during skirmish with hostile NPCs.

The only thing you'd have to add is doing everything in their power to block you in narrow doors/hallways/rooms. And tripping every trap they can find.

neoism

Cant wait for them to update with magic next.

does it work with a controller

neoism

You cannot sort by column or filter inventory with a gamepad (which means you also can't see v/w since that is not a seperate column), however you can still move through the inventory just like you can without SkyUI and now you get the much imrpoved layout with weight, value, damage/armor in columns. You lose the ability to assign weapons/magic with RT/LT to specific hands.

nm lol

Grinchy

Banned
Lol at NMM requiring an account to login to use. Fuck that shit, deleted.

I'm like you, but honestly it's a good site to be registered on. It becomes a non-issue after that.

The only thing you'd have to add is doing everything in their power to block you in narrow doors/hallways/rooms. And tripping every trap they can find.

My frost atronach is the biggest troll in the game. Always blocking me into shit.

My frost atronach is the biggest troll in the game. Always blocking me into shit.

I have a companion following that does just that as well.
Barbas the dog of Clavicus Vile
, walks right in front of me all the time. Or if I am crouched in a spot to hide and pick off bandits with my bow I get pushed from behind out of cover... so frustrating. If it wasn't a quest mandatory companion I would be running around alone with no problems.

and because its a dog it only blocks part of a hallway or path but I can't seem to jump over it as the hitbox is bigger then the dog itself

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
does it work with a controller

What? It worked for me. I just beat the game with it lol

I installed it via the Mod Organizer and got the inventory management so I'm not sure if there's anything else to the mod but that's 10x's better just with that.

SpidermanJones

Neo Member
Can also confirm that it works pretty well with the 360-Hotkey-Mod.

As mentioned before, the few downsides are that the column-sorting won't work and you can't assign a weapon to a specific hand.

But I'm somehow confident that it will implemented in future updates. :D

Christine

As mentioned before, the few downsides are that the column-sorting won't work and you can't assign a weapon to a specific hand.

How does that work, in practice? Does it behave like pressing a hotkey for that item, i.e., you'd have to select Bound Sword twice to put it in your right hand?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can also confirm that it works pretty well with the 360-Hotkey-Mod.

But I'm somehow confident that it will implemented in future updates. :D

For the one I'm using, yes.

RedSwirl

Do most of the mods still install like the ones for Fallout? For New Vegas mods I just put them in the data folder and then selected them from "Data Files" upon booting up the game.

Durante

Usually replies from people with guy fawkes avatars are intelligent but I guess there's always an exception. Have fun with your nude mods.
That's rather stupid. Like it or not, the nexus sites are the hub for all TES modding, including "nude mods" as well as fantastic, game-changing projects such as SkyUI.

Ledsen

Usually replies from people with guy fawkes avatars are intelligent but I guess there's always an exception. Have fun with your nude mods.

I agree, your "lol at x" comment that I stole doesn't come across as very intelligent. Like the guy above me said, the Nexus sites are the center around which ES modding revolves. That, and the Beth forums.

Sethos

Banned

Sounds like you really aren't interested in mods, maybe you should just look at the pictures in this thread and not comment? To save us all the headache.

You don't know how to set up a gmail account? I don't see the problem.

And I don't see the point in another account. Seriously, what's the point of a nexus account, if you just want to download mods and not participate in the community? It's bothersome to create accounts if you don't really need them. There's a reason why we have sites like bugmenot.com.

Any mod to stop Lydia from dying? I'm sick of this bitch walking in front of my sword and getting slaughtered then having to reload my most recent save

Top Bottom