• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Postman

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
That's true. I've been very please and the game is just amazing but have crashed twice. I hope they patch the visual performance and such up. Maybe it's a driver issue so I hope we see an AMD variant on that front as I have a 6970.

I have played all weekend with no crashes.

And I keep telling everyone AMDs drivers are screwed up at this moment. They really need to get their act together.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Reuenthal said:
What are the best mods that are available?
There lots but they require more testing. Lots doesn't mean good btw :p

I'm reading lots and have linked some in post 2. Things are moving fast so we are bound to see great mods come up shortly. I encourage anyone who finds good mods, no matter where, PM me. Permitting that they work and aren't from sketchy sites!

I'm looking at some but until the community and yourself (for example) start testing them and give feedback, it's all unknown. Just like any other mod community.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Linearskillz, make sure you edit the info in that link (if needed) as I have that listed in the OP. So you can fix things or alter things on your own accord.
Fantastic, thanks! I will be keeping that up to date. Hopefully some day it will become obsolete when a patch comes out :)

LiquidMetal14

Linearskillz said:
Fantastic, thanks! I will be keeping that up to date. Hopefully some day it will become obsolete when a patch comes out :)
There's so many things being worked on by the mod community and such that if that happens, I hope I can remember. This is a bigger task than I imagined and am trying to stay on top of things and oh yea, play the game lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cyberheater said:
I've got a Pentium Dual Core E2180 2GHz overclocked to 3GHz and a GTX460 overclocked to 800MHz. I've had no crashed. Stock settings so far. Have not tweaked any ini files.

I just finished a ~30 minute session with the game and managed to exit it on my own accord. Hopefully, my luck will continue into the morrow.

Peterthumpa

Kyaw said:
It was this thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1260131-the-truth-behind-skyrim-performance/

Also what's this talk of DoF and Radial blur? I have them enabled and still don't see any such effects in game.

Edit: Is it just me or is there no noticeable shadows indoors? (Solitude Inn)
DOF talk? I'm dying to see some mod that enables it ingame. Like, when you pause it. IMO it would look amazing for dungeon caves (a la Witcher 2) and for distant vistas on the background.

scarybore

Wazzim said:

That happens with my save as well, the skeleton of the very first dragon I killed randomly spawns at the entrance of Whiterun. Scared the shit out of me when it happened the first time as its head was clipping through the door.

As for crashes, 25 hours so far with not a single crash, which is amazing considering my prior experience with Bethesda games. Haven't bothered messing with ini files, would rather wait on patches and driver updates before I mess around with settings in case I bugger something up.

Dries

From the OT:

Dries said:
Crap, I thought I could just plug in my charge and play cable thingie to use my xbox controller on my PC, but I seems that I need some special USB reciever.

Is there any other way to connect my 360 controller?

LiquidMetal14

Dries said:
From the OT:
I know this is not what you asked but have you tried using motionjoy to just emulate a DS3?
Or maybe even searching for a fix by MSFT. I do know that you have to have the wired variety unless you buy that special USB adapter.

I have been using it (motionjoy) forever and even wirelessly with a BT adapter and it never fails. It emulates other controllers too. If you need help PM me.

gotee12

Wazzim said:
I walked out of whiterun and look what was falling from the sky:
43E62FA7E839C11B49EC346C71FB37E4FA299BD0
Same thing happened to me. Couldn't tell if it was a dragon I'd already killed respawning in different location.

Oni Jazar

So what are some of the best tweaks for maximizing performance with minimal visual degredation? I've got a 580M laptop that runs the game from 20-120 fps depending on the area. I noticed the lighting from this room kills the fps and I don't know how to improve it:

http://i.imgur.com/R2kcT.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. Away at University so I only have my laptop as I can't be arsed taking my desktop up.

Intel Core i5 M430 @ 2.27ghz
4GB Memory
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5400

I'm gonna try out Oblivion/Fallout 3 on it later on, see how they run.

From looking at the spec how would Skyrim run? And say it runs Fallout 3 ok, what would that say about its ability to run Skyrim?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wut...

Menu says: Press R to drop, F to favorite an item
Actual input: pressing R causes an item to favorite, F to drop

derder

The thing that worries me most about future mods is world geometry. High Rez textures and updated character models are just going to make the bad assets look worse.

JaseC said:
Is the game suddenly closing a common bug? It's not a crash as there's no freezing or application errors; rather, the game simply takes it upon itself to quit to the desktop.

This was happening to me all day yesterday. I've also noticed several instances of disappearing textures or textures turning into purple blobs. I crash more often when I take screen shots in Steam with Fraps loaded. This appears to be a common problem and some people have already posted about it on the Bethesda forums. It also seems like there could be some memory leak issues.

I'm going to try the 24 bit, 44100 Hz audio "fix" today that was posted on the Bethesda forums. I was previously running 24 bit, 48000 Hz so I hope this reduces the amount of CTDs and texture errors I have been getting.

AMD Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.4Ghz
Vapor-X 5870, 2GB, Catalyst Driver 11.8
4 GB RAM
WIndows 7, 64 bit

Boss Doggie

grendelrt said:
Mine works with R to drop , F to favorite......

Then again I edited the controls to make it feel more Oblivion-y.

Also, using magic requires you to forfeit your equipped weapons hm?

Postman

Banned
Cindres said:
Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. Away at University so I only have my laptop as I can't be arsed taking my desktop up.

Intel Core i5 M430 @ 2.27ghz
4GB Memory
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5400

I'm gonna try out Oblivion/Fallout 3 on it later on, see how they run.

From looking at the spec how would Skyrim run? And say it runs Fallout 3 ok, what would that say about its ability to run Skyrim?

The game scales pretty well. I put it on my wifes 4 year old laptop to see if it would run and it does albeit with everything turned way down.

So to answer your question. It runs as well as you want it to but you are going to sacrifice graphics of course.

LiquidMetal14

derder said:
The thing that worries me most about future mods is world geometry. High Rez textures and updated character models are just going to make the bad assets look worse.
Then the engine will be rewritten!

I think the game looks damn good most of the time as it is. Better textures and characters will be icing.

Postman

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
This was happening to me all day yesterday. I've also noticed several instances of disappearing textures or textures turning into purple blobs. I crash more often when I take screen shots in Steam with Fraps loaded. This appears to be a common problem and some people have already posted about it on the Bethesda forums. It also seems like there could be some memory leak issues.

I'm going to try the 24 bit, 44100 Hz audio "fix" today that was posted on the Bethesda forums. I was previously running 24 bit, 48000 Hz so I hope this reduces the amount of CTDs and texture errors I have been getting.

what are your pc specs?

Everyone who reports a bug or crash please list your pc specs.

grendelrt

Ookami-kun said:
Then again I edited the controls to make it feel more Oblivion-y.

Also, using magic requires you to forfeit your equipped weapons hm?

Yeah I have read changing keys that are assigned hot keys in the UI can screw things up. Completely stupid, Bethesda really screwed up with the UI.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'd love to see a real time global illumination engine added to this. It would look lovely.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Postman said:
The game scales pretty well. I put it on my wifes 4 year old laptop to see if it would run and it does albeit with everything turned way down.

So to answer your question. It runs as well as you want it to but you are going to sacrifice graphics of course.

I'm totally willing to sacrifice graphics just to play the game.
How smoothly does it run? This laptop was new last September.

Boss Doggie

Ahh I figured out the bug. Apparently, Sheath and POV also affect Drop and Favorite in the items menu (since they share similar keys). Changing them alters the keys without notifying the user.

derder said:

One of the biggest mods in that department will be the conversion of the Natural Water (or whatever it's called) shader from Oblivion. We're talking Crysis level water with proper interaction with shoreline, etc. That kind of thing helps you forget about the polygons in the shore itself.

LiquidMetal14

If anyone wants to make a smaller but effective banner, I would appreciate it. Something cool and classy. I will be asking 1 user who's helped me before if I don't get anything before the day is over so please let me know. I just want the banner to be smaller so the OP isn't just bloated with too many big images.

Postman said:
what are your pc specs?

Everyone who reports a bug or crash please list your pc specs.

Edited my post with my specs. Crashing is a lot more frequent the further you get into the game. I had few crashes in my first 10 hours or so but now about 25 hours into the game with most activities around Whiterun, I can say that the CTDs and texture errors are pretty frequent and causing me quite a headache.

Postman

Banned
I do not get the people who are complaining about the graphics. The game is beautiful. They took the time and effort to make every area look natural and specific unlike oblivion where every hill side looked like every other hill side. They also seemed to really focus on the environmental effects. Wind gust, cloud formations around mountain tops, grass floating in the wind on the plains and leafs failing in the forest. Weather effects are great as well.
The character and enemy models look way better than oblivion's. The lighting and shading is also way better than oblivion. The graphics on a whole look very clean and polished which i would take any day over a 4 thousand polygon rock with baked on flat shading and areas that look thrown together.

Kyaw said:
Also what's this talk of DoF and Radial blur? I have them enabled and still don't see any such effects in game.

They seem to apply almost exclusively to the fatality camera that kicks in when you finish off certain enemies, much like they did in Fallout 3. They're massively demanding if you run at high resolutions with tweaks, and they don't even look that good.

Postman

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Edited my post with my specs. Crashing is a lot more frequent the further you get into the game. I had few crashes in my first 10 hours or so but now about 25 hours into the game with most activities around Whiterun, I can say that the CTDs are pretty frequent and causing me quite a headache.

Cool I just want to keep a count of how many with problems are using AMD cards and how many are using nvidia.

I was running dual 6850s for while but started having tons of problems with games so I switched to 560ti and haven't had any problems since.

Ledsen

Cindres said:
I'm totally willing to sacrifice graphics just to play the game.
How smoothly does it run? This laptop was new last September.
I have a laptop with a 5650 card and i run it very well(30-60 fps with dips to 17-20 in cities) on high settings at 720p. Your 5400 is much worse and youd have to turn everytging down to low.

Salaadin

Just fought a dragon and his texture didn't load or something...just a purple blob. Anyone else see this?

I took a screen bit it came up as invalid

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm...finally ran into under 20 fps in a town after fast traveling there. Just went to TD and restarted game and back to normal. Probably cache needs some optimizing since I have 8 gbs of ram :p

Wazzim

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
3GB RAM
AMD HD6850 1GB
1440 x 900

How well would it do?
It would run great on high.

DMPrince said:
is the game CPU or GPU intensive?
CPU for the most part because of the shadows but you can turn them down and run the game fine.

Blizzard

Banned
DMPrince said:
I haven't tried to monitor my CPU usage ingame, but I am guessing CPU intensive. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64-bit home premium
4GB memory
7200 rpm hard disk if I recall correctly
e8400 3.0 GHz core 2 duo
1GB 5850 graphics card

I would think the graphics card would be able to handle at least high settings, and the game autodetect set things to high, but I ended up turning shadows down to medium and not using the tweaks mentioned in the OP since I am trying to keep at least 30 fps. Indoors is 40-60 fps, outdoors tends to be 24-40 fps. So, I am guessing it is because of my CPU.

I think I have 4xMSAA, no FXAA, and everything medium except for high textures.

LiquidMetal14

DMPrince said:
Not, not yet at least. It doesn't fully utilize HW yet for some reason. When I run the game it never uses above 51% GPU and 50% CPU resources. RAM is never over 800-1000MB of usage too but that doesn't seem too abnormal.

Or did you mean like requirement-wise? It's not very intensive and I advise anyone who buys to do so on the PC version. Even on some low setting screens, it still looks about as good as the consoles.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
DMPrince said:

From my own observation, neither, gpu hovers around 50% usage, cpu hovers around 25-30% usage on each core with the odd 50-60% usage on one of the cores.

LiquidMetal14

Corky said:
From my own observation, neither, gpu hovers around 50% usage, cpu hovers around 25-30% usage on each core with the odd 50-60% usage on one of the cores.
1 core get's to about 50%, the others are around what you noted (CPU).

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if my performance is abnormally bad then. I still suspect a better CPU might help. Oh, and I use D3DOverrider with vsync and triple buffering so my vertical sensitivity doesn't go crazy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Blizzard said:
Hmm, I wonder if my performance is abnormally bad then. I still suspect a better CPU might help. Oh, and I use D3DOverrider with vsync and triple buffering so my vertical sensitivity doesn't go crazy.

Don't wallow too much on the performance, it's just not working like it should if you ask me, there is no reason in hell why certain people are getting the kind of performance they are. Let's be real here, Skyrim is no metro/tw2/crysis/bf3 with regards to pushing hardware, and thus the performance should follow suit but alas it's not.

core i5 750, watercooled
4gb ram
GTX 460 with latest drivers

XJBy5.jpg

Sometimes it's fine for awhile, then suddenly it gets jacked up like this ("spikes" coming out of random objects, purple/red/green/black wall walls, etc.) Ctrl+Alt+del out of full-screen seems to temporarily fix it (sometimes). And I turned off overclocking for this, so if my card is overheating it's 100% caused by the coding in this game, as it happens with nothing else I've ever played on my rig. Random crashing-- sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a few hours.

Ledsen

Blizzard said:
I haven't tried to monitor my CPU usage ingame, but I am guessing CPU intensive. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64-bit home premium
4GB memory
7200 rpm hard disk if I recall correctly
e8400 3.0 GHz core 2 duo
1GB 5850 graphics card

I would think the graphics card would be able to handle at least high settings, and the game autodetect set things to high, but I ended up turning shadows down to medium and not using the tweaks mentioned in the OP since I am trying to keep at least 30 fps. Indoors is 40-60 fps, outdoors tends to be 24-40 fps. So, I am guessing it is because of my CPU.

I think I have 4xMSAA, no FXAA, and everything medium except for high textures.
Read my post a couple above yours, You should have perfect fps at High/Ultra settings.

Top Bottom