• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

ezekial45

Banned
Is there anyway to scale the HUD on PS4? The text gets cut off on my TV screen (etheda Games on the title screen, and the inventory menu and prompts getting cut off).

Rellik

Is there anyway to scale the HUD on PS4? The text gets cut off on my TV screen (etheda Games on the title screen, and the inventory menu and prompts getting cut off).

See below.

Your TV is over scanning. Go to your TVs ratio/ Pictur Size setting and change it from 16:9 to Screen-Fit or Native. That will give you the complete image.

If your TV doesn't have an option for native then you're screwed because Bethesda didn't think to add a HUD scale option.

Lanrutcon

What mods are you using? I got my first CTD last night. Using the nVidia drivers that came just before the Skyrim ones.

I have Unofficial Patch, Open Cities, Marco's Leveled Lists, Cutting Room Floor, Alternate Start, and a few other non intrusive ones.

I suspect the Unofficial Patch is causing some issues. I get a lot of Z-fighting around Whiterun as well.

I've since removed all my mods, and I'm still getting the CTDs. Mostly when transitioning locations.

Tobor

As far as murdered NPC's go. Save. Save often. It's the golden rule with these games. NPC's can die in other ways than just vampires.

Anyway, I'm in love with this game all over again. Looks and runs great on PS4.

sensui-tomo

As far as murdered NPC's go. Save. Save often. It's the golden rule with these games. NPC's can die in other ways than just vampires.

Anyway, I'm in love with this game all over again. Looks and runs great on PS4.

Hell if people run Open City mod, well shit its like asking that to happen.

Terrorblot

These kinds of textures happened to me when I caught a carriage from Solitude to Whiterun (so just outside Whiterun). Do you have flickering issues on certain buildings, like Dragonsreach when outside of Whiterun? I think all of this may be related to LOD issues with the UInoffical Patch. They are aware of the flickering issues and there will be an update soon, but I'm not sure if this problem relates to that too. Hopefully the next update will fix this.

I don't have the unofficial patch, but this DID occur after a carriage ride.

So... I just downloaded and I'm playing on xbone. Can I resize the display? Some of the text on the side of my screen is cut off and I can't find an option to re-center or move the image around? I feel like this has been an option on games since forever... What am I missing?
There's no in-game settings for boundaries. You should be able to fix it via your TV settings though. I can select different ratio options and one of them (Native) fits the the game to my display perfectly.

Lanrutcon

Alright, then we have different issues. I got mine by running from Whiterun to the first dragon encounter in the fields. Totally random.

Aye. Mine feels very much like vanilla Skyrim did on release. It used to CTD a LOT on random load screens.

Nibiru

Banned
It really is a testament to how great this game is. Even after so many years I'm completely drawn in again. The character model overhaul and static mesh mods on pc are a must have btw.

Could anyone give me advice on building a character in this game? Before I start playing it, I just feel like I need some input, because prior to now, I played Skyrim a little when it came out on PS3/360, and I remember putting maybe 10ish hours into it. I stopped though, because I felt completely unequipped to handle any situation well. I was playing it the same way that I had played Oblivion previously, with a high emphasis on stealth, and archery. However, unlike Oblivion, it seemed like it was soooooo much easier for the enemies to detect you in Skyrim.

I just would appreciate some suggestions for good character setups to consider, since this game does not seem exactly like Oblivion. I still enjoyed that game the most out of all Bethesda games.

I'd just pick a weapon style and start with that if you're having trouble, and then probably heavy armor. Either sword and shield or two handed. Also a strong combination of enchanting, alchemy, and smithing will break the game. Focus on your combat at first, because if you level up too fast with non-combat skills you'll start facing some tougher enemies that you might not be ready for.

Gragen

I have a Phillips and I was able to fix my screen issues by changing aspect ratio to unscaled.

Oh no... First quest related NPC fallen victim to the vampires. Sven from Riverwood, and i never did do his quest...

Huh? I've never played the dlc... do we need to do it quickly then so this doesn't happen?

I HIGHLY recommend doing the dawnguard dlc right at lvl 10 and avoiding settlements/cities until finished. You will lose NPCs otherwise.

The only alternative is by modding. There were a few that addressed this issue on PC though I'm not sure if they made their way to console.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Ugh, my companion disappeared. Fast travel won't solve it.

Any solution?

Maybe check where you originally met the person? Maybe they reverted there. That would happen with Lydia occasionally, iirc.

The PS4 mod selection is a pleasant surprise for me so far

Me, too. I was expecting a dozen or so shabby little mods that altered signage or other little stuff. Instead, there are quite a few --not as much as Xbox/PC, I know, but it's not a bad selection, and many of the mods do things I appreciate.

So guys, I'm playing this for the first time and I'm extremely overwhelmed. How do I know what to do at any given time? How do I know if a quest is achievable at my current level?

Yeah, it's easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you talk to everyone -- you'll be picking up quests right and left. In general, you can choose whatever quest interests you. I try not to talk to too many people all at once; otherwise I get quest-bloast. As far as the difficulty, there is an auto-balancing of quest difficulty, so you don't have to worry too much about picking quests that are beyond your level.

You mentioned not assigning perks. Perks can make a big difference in combat, so as soon as you've decided on a weapon or magic style you like, or an armor type you'd prefer, go ahead and drop some perks in there.

OraleeWey

I HIGHLY recommend doing the dawnguard dlc right at lvl 10 and avoiding settlements/cities until finished. You will lose NPCs otherwise.

The only alternative is by modding. There were a few that addressed this issue on PC though I'm not sure if they made their way to console.

I've never played the dlc before. How do I start it and roughly how long does it take to end ?

Ugh, these crashes. It's probably the mods making the game more unstable on consoles, but this is the first time (barring Skyrim on PC) that I've had a Bethesda game crash this often.

I've never played the dlc before. How do I start it and roughly how long does it take to end ?

Upon reaching lvl 10 a member of the dawnguard may approach you in town, starting the quest.
It really depends on your playstyle on how long, plus if you get sidetracked doing other things in the dlc. If your just pounding through the main quest, maybe 8-12 hours? I'm not sure, its been awhile.

Skywind and Enderal will almost certainly be ported to SE. Word I'm hearing from Mod Makers is that the process is actually pretty easy. A lot of OG texture mods even work fine without any porting necessary, there's just some weird specularity issue on some landscapes.

I dunno man. Enderal is 8.5gb using OG skyrim as a base, and skywind users a ton of custom models and textures.

Edit: Misunderstood - thought you were talking about porting to consoles. My bad!

Got this day one and I haven't let it go since. It's sort of crazy how addicting the gameplay is, even though it feels like most of these quests are the same. I have no idea as to how long this'll take me to beat, but my friends and I are already considering going into Elder Scrolls Online because of how much fun we're having just playing solo.

One thing that bugs me is the whole Dawnguard situatio, I wish you were able to toggle the DLCs on/off so I can just start it later on. Do i really have to complete these quests in order to save future quests?

How can I delete a mod that I downloaded via Bethesda, it crashes just after the first loading screen so I can't get into the Mods menu? It's crashing the game.

I'm on the PC version btw.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've been playing this in VR (using vorpx) on the Vive and it is awesome. I find that I'm actually enjoying slow treks across the world. Getting jumped by wolves, while easy to defend against makes the hair on the back if my neck stand up.

I've been playing this in VR (using vorpx) on the Vive and it is awesome. I find that I'm actually enjoying slow treks across the world. Getting jumped by wolves, while easy to defend against makes the hair on the back if my neck stand up.

Are you running at Skyrim's default 60fps? No nausea?

Rellik

How can I delete a mod that I downloaded via Bethesda, it crashes just after the first loading screen so I can't get into the Mods menu? It's crashing the game.

I'm on the PC version btw.

This could be wrong, but look in

Steam -> steamapps -> common -> Skyrim Special Edition -> Data

And if it's in there, delete it.

soldat7

Playing this on Xbox One with mods is like a whole new game to me. I've never had a great PC and so I've never used mods for anything.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Does anyone know the answer to this? I'd like to know too...
Probably a good idea to get Dawngaurd out of the way. Had an close call with a Vampire attack early on. I fast traveled and vampires were trying to murder people when I showed up. Luckily, I fought them off without casualties.

I don't think I can continue with the main quest in the game, possibly due to mods (Xbox One). I'm on the quest "A Blade in the Dark" and I'm trying to talk to Delphine, but the game crashes right when I select the dialogue option "You know how crazy that sounds, right?"

I'll try it with the mods completely deleted, but I have a bad feeling about it. :(

This game got my hooks into me from the start. Such a magnificent difference between the PS3 and PS4 version. I am glad I can finally witness Skyrim in all its glory.

IceIpor

There is a mods folder but deleting the files does nothing.

Best advice? Delete everything and reinstall.
Then download Wrye Bash from Nexus mods and use that to install your mods.

This way you can install and uninstall mods as required and also do a clean all data option to wipe it back to fresh state if required so you don't have to ever reinstall Skyrim again.

Best advice? Delete everything and reinstall.
Then download Wrye Bash from Nexus mods and use that to install your mods.

This way you can install and uninstall mods as required and also do a clean all data option to wipe it back to fresh state if required so you don't have to ever reinstall Skyrim again.

I used that in the past but I had major problems with mods disabling themselves and not being able to re-enable them, I'll have another look.

Jibbed

So I dun fucked up.

Bought a fairly cheap Legendary edition last week, didn't realise there was an October 28th cut-off on the free upgrade to SE.

I've put a ticket in with Steam support but idk how far that's going to get me. Anything else I can do?

hwy_61

Banned
i rented this at a redbox expecting not to buy it, because i played a fuck ton of it on 360....

im omw to gamestop.

goddamn this game is good.

I don't think I can continue with the main quest in the game, possibly due to mods (Xbox One). I'm on the quest "A Blade in the Dark" and I'm trying to talk to Delphine, but the game crashes right when I select the dialogue option "You know how crazy that sounds, right?"

I'll try it with the mods completely deleted, but I have a bad feeling about it. :(

Do you have the unofficial Skyrim patch first in your load order?

witness

Addicted all over again, it's so goddamn good and the mods on Xbox are great. So if I don't start dawnguard right away I could get locked out of it entirely?

I_D

Wanted to see how it stacks up against OG Skyrim.

Looks pretty decent for essentially an Xbox 360 game.

Ultra settings @ 4k, no mods.

skyrimse2016-10-3012-5xu9b.png

skyrimse2016-10-3012-anuie.png

skyrimse2016-10-3012-tzuit.png

skyrimse2016-10-3012-u3uel.png

And now the mod hunt begins...

xviper

is this game playable after The witcher 3 ? i can't enjoy an open world RPG game anymore because of The witcher 3

same with MGS V, everytime i play stealth game i keep remembering how amazing MGS V's gameplay, which kinda ruined games like Rise of Tomb Raider for me gameplay-wise

Top Bottom