• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

is this game playable after The witcher 3 ? i can't enjoy an open world RPG game anymore because of The witcher 3

same with MGS V, everytime i play stealth game i keep remembering how amazing MGS V's gameplay, which kinda ruined games like Rise of Tomb Raider for me gameplay-wise

Just my opinion but yes. I much prefer this to the witcher 3. Think it's the blank canvas approach to character that does it mind you

PFD

is this game playable after The witcher 3 ? i can't enjoy an open world RPG game anymore because of The witcher 3

same with MGS V, everytime i play stealth game i keep remembering how amazing MGS V's gameplay, which kinda ruined games like Rise of Tomb Raider for me gameplay-wise

The Witcher 3 is probably my favorite RPG ever, but I still enjoyed revisiting Skyrim with the Special Edition. The game has a great atmosphere, and I never played the DLC, so I'm taking this opportunity to go through them.

Lorcain

Good lord the Character Overhaul mod makes such a huge difference. It's the only mod I have installed right now (pc). Very easy to install too. Really enjoying being back in Skyrim.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is it even possible for PS4 to have the Morrowind-like loot mod? I forgot what it's called. Or the perks mod?

I know the shitty nature of Sony's support is turning off modders, so they might not even attempt getting them up and running, but are those two even possible?

I just... cannot play TES with scaled loot. I just cannot.

Blackreach is such a cool place.

It really is, isn't it?

I'm in there now collecting Crimson Nirnroot. I still remember seeing it for the first time 5 years ago and being in complete awe of it all. Doesn't have the wow factor it did back then, but it's still beautiful.

Speaking of Nirnroot. As a heads up, the quest glitch is still there where if you pick up 5 and drop them or store them, the count might be off when you pick them up. I had 4, dropped 4, picked them up and it was in the negatives, so 4 only counted as 1/30.

Coxy100

Banned

Why don't you try it? Bit strange that you can't enjoy an open world RPG any more because of the witcher. Even if you think it's amazing and can't be surpassed - surely you can get fun from others?

Anyway, personally I prefer skyrim to the witcher 3 so my answer is unequivocally yes.

NoWayOut

Just my opinion but yes. I much prefer this to the witcher 3. Think it's the blank canvas approach to character that does it mind you

Same for me. Despite the W3 being technically superior, I'm having more fun with this. The fact that I really despised the combat in W3 didn't help, but this is just my opinion.

No, should I have that?

Unless your not using mods so you can earn achievements, then yes, the unofficial Skyrim patch is the #1 most essential mod you could download.

Fixes thousands of bugs and glitches from little things to game breaking issues. It also goes as high up in your load order that it can go.

The Dude

Of course it is

Gragen

I played this at launch on pc, maybe 80 hours worth. I bought this on a whim on ps4 with no hype until about 2 hours before release. It took about 2 hours of the been there done that feeling to go away but when it did I sunk in and can't stop. Maybe it's the recliner and TV of using a console, but man I'm glad I decided to play this again.

I keep dying on this game early on. Any tips? I'm trying to be a Theif/Assassin character. Difficulty is on normal, but might put it on the easiest difficulty :(

xviper

i already played and finished skyrim om ps3 when it was launched, finished the story+ all the factions and played tons and tons of side missions, it was amazing at it's time

and then when i remember my time with it and how the combat was terrible even at it's time, and when i wanted to play the DLC but Bethesda delayed them for a like a year on ps3, that made me forget the game, and then a masterpiece has arrived that completely wiped this game from my memory, The witcher 3

i was just curious if the game is still fun to play like when it came out 5 years ago, especially after playing The witcher 3, please don't tell me "they are different" no they aren't, one is far more superior than the other and that's the truth that every fan boy needs to accept, same situation between Team Fortress 2 and the beautiful masterpiece, Overwatch

Gragen

I keep dying on this game early on. Any tips? I'm trying to be a Theif/Assassin character. Difficulty is on normal, but might put it on the easiest difficulty :(

A totally good tactic is running your ass off until mobs reset. Try to kill one, run and repeat. Totally acceptable as a thief.

i already played and finished skyrim om ps3 when it was launched, finished the story+ all the factions and played tons and tons of side missions, it was amazing at it's time

and then when i remember my time with it and how the combat was terrible even at it's time, and when i wanted to play the DLC but Bethesda delayed them for a like a year on ps3, that made me forget the game, and then a masterpiece has arrived that completely wiped this game from my memory, The witcher 3

i was just curious if the game is still fun to play like when it came out 5 years ago, especially after playing The witcher 3, please don't tell me "they are different" no they aren't, one is far more superior than the other and that's the truth that every fan boy needs to accept, same situation between Team Fortress 2 and the beautiful masterpiece, Overwatch

Well seeing as how you pre-emptively insulted me....

They ARE different. You seem to be saying 'I didn't like this game five years ago, will I like it now?'

Probably not. I loved it then and love it now.

Jacknapes

Picked this up on Friday. Skyrim (and all Elder Scrolls that Bethesda have made) are the types of games that can draw me in. The mods available on PS4 are perfect for what i'm looking for, nice to have streetlights on the main paths.

Spent much of today just wandering around exploring locations and doing a few side missions.

Having a lot more fun playing Skyrim over Fallout 4.

The Dude

I wish I could mod, I'd probably spend hundred if not thousands of hours modding skyrim. I just love the game, it's you're ideal rpg... I wish we had a rivaling series that was just as awesome as elder scrolls and medieval/D&D style

kris.

Banned
i made a home and display cases aren't working again. i can't get the prompt to put whatever i'm holding into the case. i tried the unofficial patch to see if that'd fix it and zilch. anyone got any ideas?

DOWN

Banned
This game is so much better to me than Witcher 3 (which I beat). I think Witcher 3 is well written but it otherwise is a standard action game in an open world that doesn't have this kind of atmosphere. The cities in Witcher 3 have so much less interaction and it feels like many NPCs are just animatronics to dress the scenery for the occasional written quests.

Vuze

Is there any way to tell whether a weapon is one handed or two handed when browsing I.e. stores?
Armors have light/heavy stated explicitly.

Also, I just delivered the first dragon slab and wondered where I can store my loot? Do I need to buy the house that's now on sale or is there a cheaper option?

SlickVic

I guess that depends what you're coming to Skyrim for. If you're coming to it for the overall writing and quality of quests, it doesn't match the Witcher 3. Other technical aspects like the animations and overall graphics quality I'd give the nod to the Witcher 3 as well (of course some of that can change signifcantly with modding). I love The Witcher 3 a lot and it may very well go down as my favorite game of this generation.

But Skyrim (and Bethesda games in general) provides a sense of exploration that I don't usually see in other games (at least the ones that I've played). I've said this before about Fallout, but hearing the classic jingle when a notification pops up for 'X area discovered' is just so satisfying. It gives you the sense of being an adventurer, charting an unknown world for the first time. This isn't a criticism of Witcher 3, which also has a very rich and varied world, but it never felt to me that the focus of that world was exploration. To me, that's what makes a game like Skyrim different, and still makes it well worth experiencing.

Is there any way to tell whether a weapon is one handed or two handed when browsing I.e. stores?

Also, I just delivered the first dragon slab and wondered where I can store my loot? Do I need to buy the house that's now on sale or is there a cheaper option?

Rule of thumb: Two words = Two-handed

One-handed:
Staves
Daggers
Swords
Maces
Axes

Two-handed:
Greatswords
Battleaxes
Warhammers

You can store your loot by buying a house or completing quests (Companions/College of Winterhold etc.)

A1R

Banned
I bought the Legendary Edition 2 years ago, only played for about 2 hours as I couldn't get into it. It was also my first Elder Scrolls game.

This version with the updated graphics doesn't really hit the mark for me either, not helped by the fact I played the Witcher 3 earlier this year which is superior in every way for me. Skyrim feels so empty, unimaginative, unengaging, lifeless, and small in scale. It seems you need a multitude of mods to capture the feel the developers were going for.

Maybe it's because I'm not very far in and haven't explored much, but the 'city' I've seen (Whiterun, I think, it had a Jarl who had a catlady as a guard) was nothing like a city, seemed like more of a small village, and the story is boring, the art style not very well thought out.

Runs very well on a 970 though, maxed out the graphics and have a few mods running, such as SMIM, the bug fixing, a form of SkyUI (the default interface is terrible). I might try playing it with a PS4 controller, and locking it to 30fps for a more cinematic feel to see how I like it.

vehn

Unless your not using mods so you can earn achievements, then yes, the unofficial Skyrim patch is the #1 most essential mod you could download.

Fixes thousands of bugs and glitches from little things to game breaking issues. It also goes as high up in your load order that it can go.

Don't you want to put important mods on the bottom of the list? So they don't get overwritten

SlickVic

Could be exceptions, but from what I noticed, most 2 handed weapons show up diagonally or tilted in the image in the inventory, while 1 handed weapons go straight up and down. Again, don't know if this is the case 100% of the time, just something I noticed.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Mark me down as another who prefers Skyrim over Witcher 3. I love the feeling I get in Skyrim (and Oblivion and Morrowind before it) of actually being in the world -- the immersion of that. I almost get lost in it, forget I'm playing a game. I love the sense that I'm making my own story, my own choices, moment by moment. I never got that in the Witcher. I was always aware I was playing as a pre-created character with a pre-defined personality and history. It feels more like someone else's adventure, whereas Skyrim feels more like mine.

Another thing I prefer about Skyrim is the world itself and how enjoyable it is to just hit the road and explore. I can go off the beaten path any time and know that I'll run into something interesting. I didn't get that feeling in Witcher. CD just doesn't have the experience creating open worlds that Bethesda does.

I appreciated a number of things about Witcher 3 (quest writing, animations, and combat), but I don't share the adulation a lot of people feel for it. For me, Skyrim is the more enjoyable game.

Mark me down as another who prefers Skyrim over Witcher 3. I love the feeling I get in Skyrim (and Oblivion and Morrowind before it) of actually being in the world -- the immersion of that. I almost get lost in it, forget I'm playing a game. I love the sense that I'm making my own story, my own choices, moment by moment. I never got that in the Witcher. I was always aware I was playing as a pre-created character with a pre-defined personality and history. It feels more like someone else's adventure, whereas Skyrim feels more like mine.

Another thing I prefer about Skyrim is the world itself and how enjoyable it is to just hit the road and explore. I can go off the beaten path any time and know that I'll run into something interesting. I didn't get that feeling in Witcher. CD just doesn't have the experience creating open worlds that Bethesda does.

I appreciated a number of things about Witcher 3 (quest writing, animations, and combat), but I don't share the adulation a lot of people feel for it. For me, Skyrim is the more enjoyable game.

Pretty much why I never finished W3. Well said.

I believe that fixed it! Thank you!

I guess I have to be more wary on where mods should be on the load order.

On a related note, there wouldn't happen to be any good graphical enhancement mods that would work for the X1, would there?

DrkSage

Why can't I disable DLC damn it. 1st got fucked by a vampire before making my first travel to high hrothgar. Then when I finally made and made my way down for schooled by some cultist

also, my tv doesn't have options to change aspect ratio so I'm pretty much greeted by ethesda every time I start the game, utosaving, and guessing how many lock picks I got left

Never gave the game a fair shake when it first came out and since I had it bought on steam I got the special edition upgrade.

Really have a new appreciation for these games and what they are after playing through fallout 4. I think before the biggest letdown was the combat but this time I'm going a sneaky bow mage and I'm loving it so far.

mujun

What the fuck is with games releasing on Friday now?!?!

I import because I live in Japan.

When games released on Tuesday I'd usually have them by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. Now I have to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrghghhhhhh

I finally installed mods on the PS4 and they're nice so far, but I still can't really get into this game. I love Fallout series(FO 4 was just okay), but there's something off with this game. Maybe the game gets better if I keep playing for the next few days.

It took years of modding for original Skyrim to reach the current state.

Imagine Goku and Gohan in Freezer to the end of Cell arc.

Goku is original Skyrim, Gohan is Skyrim SE.
I mean I have Skyrim and a bunch of mods already on my PC. Is there any tangible benefits to going with this version?

hwy_61

Banned
alright guys, i dont know if im fucking up here.

So, I started an Orc, with the intentions of playing a bad ass 2 handed warrior. But then I was like, magic is pretty cool! So I started using more of that. I have lydia with me, ,so she tanks while im burning up the mobs from behind.

I cant shake this feeling like im messing up here.

Should I restart? I'm lvl 7 atm.

I mean I have Skyrim and a bunch of mods already on my PC. Is there any tangible benefits to going with this version?

If you didn't get the free upgrade, then no. Currently original Skyrim with full mods still look better than SE. But with time and more mods coming to SE, it'll surpass original at some point.

Santiako

alright guys, i dont know if im fucking up here.

So, I started an Orc, with the intentions of playing a bad ass 2 handed warrior. But then I was like, magic is pretty cool! So I started using more of that. I have lydia with me, ,so she tanks while im burning up the mobs from behind.

I cant shake this feeling like im messing up here.

Should I restart? I'm lvl 7 atm.

You'll be fine. By the end you'll be so overpowered that a few messed up perks won't hinder you at all.

Top Bottom