• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition PC performance thread

cormack12

Gold Member
1920 x 1080p
i5 6600
Radeon RX480 8GB
Ultra settings
Full screen
V-sync @ 60fps
PC

Firstly, I think it looks much better than I remember but my original experience was PS3 so bear that in mind. Models and faces are disappointing and I can't turn my head slightly without losing sound or voices becoming a whisper.

I get 60fps frequently but it does drop. I entered Riverwood with about 7 NPC'S and smooth as butter. Went to the wood pile where Faendal was and looked across the river, shot down to 30.

Whats weird is that it shoots straight to 28/27 for a few seconds then settles on 30. Like it doesn't seem to hover in the mid 40's for example. It's either 60 or 30.

Lighting and colour a lot nicer. The controller seems buggy. I use DS4 for Windows. I remapped controls in Skyrim, and saved it. When I started again it had unmapped so I drew my weapons and got shanked by the guys in riverwood. Time for a break after that.

Seems a bit hanky as well. Escaping Helgen and I had that objective to practise lock picking. But the lock picks didn't go into my inventory. Had to run back about three rooms and re-enter.

The way double-buffer vsync works is that it caps the framerate to your refresh rate and divides the former if it drops. So, for instance, if you have a 60Hz monitor, the game will be capped at 60fps (60/1) and drop to 30fps (60/2) if 60fps cannot be maintained, and again to 20fps (60/3) if 30fps cannot be maintained, and so on. Many people instead prefer triple buffering, which can be enabled by way of running the game in a borderless window, as it's refresh rate-independent.

Oh. I had mixed up my doubles and triples. :p
I was getting drops to 50 FPS last night though, without doing anything. Think I was using exclusive fullscreen.

Do I need to disable it if I use borderless, or will that overrule double-buffering by itself?

Cheers! :)

1920 x 1080p
i5 6600
Radeon RX480 8GB
Ultra settings
Full screen
V-sync @ 60fps
PC

Firstly, I think it looks much better than I remember but my original experience was PS3 so bear that in mind. Models and faces are disappointing and I can't turn my head slightly without losing sound or voices becoming a whisper.

I get 60fps frequently but it does drop. I entered Riverwood with about 7 NPC'S and smooth as butter. Went to the wood pile where Faendal was and looked across the river, shot down to 30.

Whats weird is that it shoots straight to 28/27 for a few seconds then settles on 30. Like it doesn't seem to hover in the mid 40's for example. It's either 60 or 30.

Lighting and colour a lot nicer. The controller seems buggy. I use DS4 for Windows. I remapped controls in Skyrim, and saved it. When I started again it had unmapped so I drew my weapons and got shanked by the guys in riverwood. Time for a break after that.

Seems a bit hanky as well. Escaping Helgen and I had that objective to practise lock picking. But the lock picks didn't go into my inventory. Had to run back about three rooms and re-enter.

Now that's Double Buffering! Check out the OT or use borderless windowed to hopefully sort it out.

ISee

Nothing there.

They really couldn't have done a little bit of work on the cows?

gksSVwM.jpg

Better Cows Mod

yourenotsupposedtobeinhere said:
Tired of living in the 4k future? Next gen too detailed for your eyes to encompass the true beauty of Bethesda's HD next gen cows?
Well look no further friend. Take a blast to the past, nearly 5 years ago I cobbled this texture together. It's only 2k and doesn't come close to anything the master artisans at Bethesda Game Studios can do, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

It's something...

Bl@de

This sounds bizzare but its true. I went from 100+fps with physics glitches to a locked 60 and its obviously still smooth but it somehow feels comparatively sluggish >_> first world problems and all that.

Hehe yeah, definetly first world problems and some people will maybe even shout "elitist buuuh" but I didn't think that you get accustomed so fast to 100-144fps. Playing Vampire Bloodlines at that framerate with supersampling was simply perfect. Fallout 4, Skyrim SE at 100fps when roaming the countryside in ultra settings = Tasty. Well, until Fallout 4 decides to tank to 40 in cities with 50% GPU load and 60% CPU load -.-

On top of that I have G-Sync, IPS and 1440p. Yeah, 500€ for that monitor was definetly worth it. I can recommend the XB270HU to anyone who is looking for a new display (with good enough hardware obviously^^). If only the Acer screens wouldn't have so much IPS bleeding (it's a non-factor for 99% of the time though).

sueil

3440x1440 21:9 gsync
i7 6700k oc'd to 4.6 ghz
ddr 4 3000 32 gb ram
1080 oc strix factory overclocked
windows 10 pro
850 pro ssd

I get like 120+ fps.

I'm not really surprised I guess.

Vuze

The usual suspects would be shadows, AO and God rays. They also have some of the biggest impacts visually, though
Was kinda hoping sb would throw me a 1080 4K60 config but yeah, thanks :p Will go with shadows first.

I got kinda lazy with adjusting settings ever since I got a Gsync monitor over a year ago but the new TV obviously doesn't have it so eghhh :v

cormack12

Gold Member
Now that's Double Buffering! Check out the OT or use borderless windowed to hopefully sort it out.

If I tried borderless windowed it only gives me the choice to run at 1280 x 720. I disabled the interval in skyrimprefs.ini and tried using controlcenter to lock to 61fps, which largely works but the tearing makes it unplayable to me.

Any other workarounds?

Sky87

If I tried borderless windowed it only gives me the choice to run at 1280 x 720. I disabled the interval in skyrimprefs.ini and tried using controlcenter to lock to 61fps, which largely works but the tearing makes it unplayable to me.

Any other workarounds?

Try going into Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, program settings, add the Skyrim executable and set ''Preferred refresh rate'' to ''Highest available''.

I had to do this to get rid of some massive tearing even with Vsync off on a 144hz monitor (fps capped to 60).

TheContact

Posted this in the OT skyrim thread but maybe someone here could help me. The sensitivity is too high even after lowering the sensitivity to the lowest setting in game. Editing skyrimprefs.ini does nothing and even renaming it to .bak to have it recreate the file doesn't recreate. As if the .ini doesn't do shit. Any ideas ?

OraleeWey

anyone getting a a lot of crashing? No other game but this one consistently crashes on me

I read this earlier in the thread. It's the only type of crashing I've heard of so maybe check to see if this solution works for you.

👇

Found a crashing fix from right here on these forums.

The game was crashing about every 15 mins for me. I checked my windows event logs and it showed that xaudio2_7.dll was causing syrim.exe to crash.

Did some googling and found that this has plagued many people on Windows 10 over many games. I then also found a post from neogaf detailing how to fix it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148961

Basically what you need to do is disable the TabletInputService (Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service)

Hope this helps someone!

Any texture mods working yet?

The default textures are horrible

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/59va9l/skyrim_se_texture_report/

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/659/?

Got 71 active plugins installed according NMM. Plus the sweetfx and achievement mod that I had to install manually.

Performance obviously has taken a hit, tho. Can drop into the mid 40's at times, with a rare gnarly slowdown that puts me around 30. Freesync takes care of all except the gnarly ones. Those are like getting hit in the face with a brick. Luckily, it's still 52-60 most of the time.

I'm not too sure what my issues is, but I think this game is the first one to hate my overclock on my 970. I get flashes of white squares on my screen occasionally and sometimes my screen will go black for a second then come back to life. Seems like a driver crash but my framerate stays at 60.

Sky87

I'm not too sure what my issues is, but I think this game is the first one to hate my overclock on my 970. I get flashes of white squares on my screen occasionally and sometimes my screen will go black for a second then come back to life. Seems like a driver crash but my framerate stays at 60.

Sounds like a driver crash, eventviewer or reliability history should tell you that quickly.

Any texture mods working yet?

The default textures are horrible

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/59va9l/skyrim_se_texture_report/

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/659/?

Got 71 active plugins installed according NMM. Plus the sweetfx and achievement mod that I had to install manually.

Performance obviously has taken a hit, tho. Can drop into the mid 40's at times, with a rare gnarly slowdown that puts me around 30. Freesync takes care of all except the gnarly ones. Those are like getting hit in the face with a brick. Luckily, it's still 52-60 most of the time.

This, SMIM is essential as always.

I've also installed this mod called UV-tweaks.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74324

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't even download the game as the SkyrimSELauncher.exe crashes. Even after setting it to run as administrator and changing compatibility.

Win7 Pro 64bit
GTX 1070
12GB Ram
Xenon W3690 (i7-990x)

The game was insta-crashing on me also until I reinstalled it. I tried verifying the files and manually reinstalling the included redists, but that achieved exactly nothing.

Bolivar687

Banned
This sounds bizzare but its true. I went from 100+fps with physics glitches to a locked 60 and its obviously still smooth but it somehow feels comparatively sluggish >_> first world problems and all that.

Locked 60 often feels bad on a high refresh rate monitor. I've found with Skyrim, you can go above 60fps before reaching the point at which the physics bug out. On my 144Hz monitor I set the cap to one half, 72fps, and got that silky smooth gameplay back without any of the physics problems. Someone else told me he was able to get into the 80s without any issues.

Truant

Does the game have any built in AF? I assumed I had activated it in the launched since the texture filtering didn't look like shit, but I can't find the setting.

Trying to force it through the NV control panel now.

belmonkey

At 900p high settings the game already can come close to maxing my 2GB GPU. I guess that may explain why my performance tanked when I walked into Bleak Falls Barrow at 1080p Ultra settings.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This, SMIM is essential as always.

I've also installed this mod called UV-tweaks.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74324

How in the hell does he give the textures that much extra detail without editing the actual texture? Is this modder a wizard?

Edit: Oh he just changed how they're tiled or what? Same texture, but using several smaller parts to cover objects, which makes them crisper, but clearly changes how they wrap around certain objects. I hope it doesn't produce any weird results, the examples in the video are all an improvement. You sure it's compatible with SSE? I'll give it a try myself, but yeah.

At 900p high settings the game already can come close to maxing my 2GB GPU. I guess that may explain why my performance tanked when I walked into Bleak Falls Barrow at 1080p Ultra settings.

Yeah on High preset 1080p it uses 2.2gB of VRAM on my 280X, so you're definitely toeing the line there. Granted, the game is running every texture at 2x size, so have that in mind, there'll probably end up being a texture pack that uses less ram while still looking much better.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I have an issue

I dont mind capping the FPS at 60, but I need the game to start my screen with 1440P/144hz.

My color calibration changes between 60/100/120/144hz and I only have 144hz calibrated. The game starts with 60hz profile...

jorimt

I have an issue

I dont mind capping the FPS at 60, but I need the game to start my screen with 1440P/144hz.

My color calibration changes between 60/100/120/144hz and I only have 144hz calibrated. The game starts with 60hz profile...

Have you tried setting "iVsyncpresentinterval" to "0" in "Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini?"

If you want v-sync, you'll need to enable it in the control panel, along with a 60 fps cap (RTSS, etc).

Bl@de

Played for three hours today. No issues, no dips below 60 and the game is as good as ever. I really love the dynamic dof effect. It looks really good. Overall the game does look very good on highest settings. I'm happy with this free update. Time to finally finish the game :p And I've never even played the DLC.

Sky87

I have an issue

Try doing what i posted above. Forces the game to run at max refresh rate.

Try going into Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, program settings, add the Skyrim executable and set ''Preferred refresh rate'' to ''Highest available''.

I had to do this to get rid of some massive tearing even with Vsync off on a 144hz monitor (fps capped to 60).

Dante

Running great here. Having a lot of nostalgic fun returning to this world. Biggest issue I have is a lot of the creatures animals tend to bounce around a lot. Not sure what going on but it seems like they are tying to find the ground plane or something and as a result bounce around the screen a bit. Makes hunting with the bow quite difficult.

The game appeared to be running less stable than it should as soon as I added a few mods. I have already encountered 4 crashes (2 while in a game, other two as I was loading a game), and one lock-up that forced me to sign out of Windows. Then again, I'm running it with way less memory than I should. It also hitched while streaming in content more often, it seems.

Perhaps I should leave mods disabled for the time being, even the unofficial patch. (the distant meshes flickering is getting extremely distracting.) It's weird, but the game seems to be running with it obvious bugs without the unofficial path anyway... For now.

Oh well...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The Unofficial Patch mod keeps closing the game when loading to the overworld(PC). Seems a bit of work needs to be added before it properly functions, anyone else able to play with it without this issue?

Have about 8 other mods and all working just fine, but through trial and error, the Unofficial Patch(alone) hard crashes the game to desktop anytime you load into the Skyrim overworld(not a house or cave).

NoWayOut

The Unofficial Patch mod keeps closing the game when loading to the overworld(PC). Seems a bit of work needs to be added before it properly functions, anyone else able to play with it without this issue?

Have about 8 other mods and all working just fine, but through trial and error, the Unofficial Patch(alone) hard crashes the game to desktop anytime you load into the Skyrim overworld(not a house or cave).

I have the Unofficial Patch and it seems to be working fine. Played only a couple of hours of a new game so far.

Fantomas

I played for about 3 hours last night with the Unofficial Patch and 10 other mods installed, no crashes at all. Don't know what to tell ya man, that sounds fucked up.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The game appeared to be running less stable than it should as soon as I added a few mods. I have already encountered 4 crashes (2 while in a game, other two as I was loading a game), and one lock-up that forced me to sign out of Windows. Then again, I'm running it with way less memory than I should. It also hitched while streaming in content more often, it seems.

Perhaps I should leave mods disabled for the time being, even the unofficial patch. (the distant meshes flickering is getting extremely distracting.) It's weird, but the game seems to be running with it obvious bugs without the unofficial path anyway... For now.

Oh well...

They make it very clear you must have the unofficial patch follow immediately after the main game files in the load order, otherwise you'll run into a ton of issues, make sure you set that up properly, I haven't had any issues myself so far.

Tonidayo

So after reading all these issues; isn't it better for one who hasn't played Skyrim yet to purchase the original game in addition to mods rather than buying hte special edition ? I presume original Skyrim game is much more stable, and that the special edition should take months to find stabiliy as history will repeat itsef : with each new patch , new problems will erupt necessitating even more patches.

So after reading all these issues; isn't it better for one who hasn't played Skyrim yet to purchase the original game in addition to mods rather than buying hte special edition ? I presume original Skyrim game is much more stable, and that the special edition should take months to find stabiliy as history will repeat itsef : with each new patch , new problems will erupt necessitating even more patches.

special edition skyrim is already more stable than vanilla skyrim

vgamer1

ASUS ROG G501JW Laptop

Nvidia Geforce 960M 2GB

Intel Core i7-4750

8gb RAM

Currently running the game at 1920x1080 at around ~40 fps on high settings.

Jumps up to a full 60 while indoors, surprised it runs this well on my laptop.

Anyone know how high settings compare to the console versions?

Wallach

Nah the original Skyrim is stuck on a 32-bit executable and is significantly less stable with the additional burden mods apply to the limitations. Even basic stuff like adding NPCs performs way better, as more AI scripts can run simultaneously in SE than in base Skyrim.

It'll take some time for mods to get to the place the are after years of original Skyrim modding but you're better off abandoning the old executable whenever you're comfortable with the mods available, I'd say.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, I read the modding reddit again and the SKSE dudes officially announced that work on a 64 bit version for SSE is underway. No timeframe tho ;(

Chris R

runs like garbage on my 1080 at 1440

sweet

edit: bah, forgot all bethseda games are shit above 60, disabled gsync and it's fine now

maybe next gen the tech will be available

CaLe

Every time I enter a house, there seems to be objects colliding somewhere and making sounds. It's really annoying. Anyone knows what's causing it and how it can be fixed ?

Thanks

Top Bottom