• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition PC performance thread

LostDonkey

TAA definitely works in borderless, try turning it off and comparing, night and day difference, I wasn't to big on the blur introduced at first, but it really gets the job done with the jaggies

Seems weird. I haven't changed any other setting, TAA is set to on, but i BW mode the image quality is far superior to fullscreen for me.

kevin1025

Banned
I only played the opening, mostly on High.

8GB RAM
HD7870

It ran perfectly fine. No idea on framerate, but it didn't stutter or drop at all, from what I could see!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I only played the opening, mostly on High.

8GB RAM
HD7870

It ran perfectly fine. No idea on framerate, but it didn't stutter or drop at all, from what I could see!

So weird the different accounts on AMD GPUs, a guy with a 270 ran Ultra at 60, I can't get locked 60 on lowest on a 280X. Sure it could be my FX6300, but usage on the CPU goes way up when the GPU isn't being 99% load'd. :( Pls patch, pls driver. PLs smth

Does this have super drops like Fallout 4 does for some?

3570k 4.2GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
980TI

In Fallout 4 I had to cap the framerate at 30 because it was dropping below 60 so often, even at medium shadow quality + distance

I don't use DDU.

For some it can be. These issue with NV drivers never been 100% occurring. Some just get short straw with some versions. I just tend to warn about this stuff.

I always use DDU and do a fresh install but it's really becoming a hassle with how often nvidia is updating their drivers

jorimt

LOL.

I can imagine someone in their excitement wanting to give Skyrim a try and starting off with this. Bethesda please.

It looks like the farthest I can push the framerate without triggering that instance in my video is 100 fps. Anything above that, and...yeah. Not sure if 100 fps is safe across the board though.

Does this have super drops like Fallout 4 does for some?

3570k 4.2GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
980TI

In Fallout 4 I had to cap the framerate at 30 because it was dropping below 60 so often, even at medium shadow quality + distance

Since i turned vSync off in the ini my performance has been about 90-100+fpsish. same gpu, but a 5820k cpu + at 1440p.

Also can someone point me to where in the Nvidia Control Panel i limited Skyrim's fps to 60? I feel like after staring at computers all day I now am unable to see something blindingly obvious :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I always use DDU and do a fresh install but it's really becoming a hassle with how often nvidia is updating their drivers

In my experience you only really need to do DDU if you notice something is obviously wrong, most of the time I just install over the old ones without issue. Only time I had an issue was when my GPU was stuck at video watching clocks of 850mhz forever

Luigi87

Since i turned vSync off in the ini my performance has been about 90-100+fpsish. same gpu, but a 5820k cpu + at 1440p.

Also can someone point me to where in the Nvidia Control Panel i limited Skyrim's fps to 60? I feel like after staring at computers all day I now am unable to see something blindingly obvious :p

Easy thing to do, Download Riva Statistics Tuner (comes with MSI Afterburner) and use that to cap the framreate.

Bethesda has once again earned the title of Most Incompetent Developer in the Western World.
So downloaded a mod and the game has to do a shuffle of the load order. This goes on for 5 minutes plus with no change (for a tiny mod no less). So I close the game down and now, even though it says it's running and shows in task manager it doesn't show up at all. Verified integrity, deleted mods and prefs and redownloaded. Nothing. I guess a reinstall is needed which I cant do at the moment because it's on my work laptop.
Add to that the game is still full of the exact same bugs as before (followers disappearing for example) and you know what, it's all pretty shit. But I got it for free so at least it's free shit. Feel bad for someone who bought this and is having to face this kind of crap though.
Anyway, congrats to Bethesda for cementing their record of technically worthless software releases.

georly

Game keeps crashing. Downloading the nvidia driver now, hopefully that resolves it for me :(

Edit: Also stopped tabletinputservice

hope that helps me

In my experience you only really need to do DDU if you notice something is obviously wrong, most of the time I just install over the old ones without issue. Only time I had an issue was when my GPU was stuck at video watching clocks of 850mhz forever

Will try that cause it's getting tedious

NoWayOut

Runs pretty smooth on my laptop:

6700HQ
16GB
960M 4GB
SSD

I can either play at 1080p with everything on Ultra with a locked 30 fps or 1600x900 on High at 60 fps. Not bad as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like Skyrim is doing the same bullshit Fallout 4 did where it completely fucks over my controller settings when I launch the game.

NotDigital

Neo Member
Found a crashing fix from right here on these forums.

The game was crashing about every 15 mins for me. I checked my windows event logs and it showed that xaudio2_7.dll was causing syrim.exe to crash.

Did some googling and found that this has plagued many people on Windows 10 over many games. I then also found a post from neogaf detailing how to fix it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148961

Basically what you need to do is disable the TabletInputService (Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service)

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks for posting this! I was having the exact same issue and this fixed it. I just finished playing for 3 hours straight with no crashes.

What a bizarre reason for the crashes!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I checked the mod reddit and Bethesda responded saying they'll have a fix for the audio ready next week :D. It's nice that they're actually intending to support this, I was expecting a port and dump and just have them be done with it.

Tovarisc

I checked the mod reddit and Bethesda responded saying they'll have a fix for the audio ready next week :D. It's nice that they're actually intending to support this, I was expecting a port and dump and just have them be done with it.

Fix for audio as in people get to download all audio again?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fix for audio as in people get to download all audio again?

I assume fix means bringing quality parity across all 3 platforms. Or at least bringing the sound quality up. If you're annoyed about download size, I suggest you direct your anger at the upscaled textures that take almost twice as much space (4 to 7gB) without offering any increase in quality whatsoever :p. It's the audio files themselves that are shit, so obviously a fix would result in downloading new audio. Wouldn't surprise me if all they did was put the old audio files from vanilla Skyrim into SSE tho, leaving us with shitty music and voice overs still.

Tovarisc

I assume fix means bringing quality parity across all 3 platforms. Or at least bringing the sound quality up. If you're annoyed about download size, I suggest you direct your anger at the upscaled textures that take almost twice as much space (4 to 7gB) without offering any increase in quality whatsoever :p. It's the audio files themselves that are shit, so obviously a fix would result in downloading new audio. Wouldn't surprise me if all they did was put the old audio files from vanilla Skyrim into SSE tho, leaving us with shitty music and voice overs still.

Was just wondering what other fix there even could be for fixing compressed audio. They kinda have to make users redownload all audio files in their larger, uncompressed, form. I'm personally yet to download SSE at all as I wait release issues to pass. Reading performance threads is just kinda fun as shows quite a bit about state of PC ports.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is the compressed audio related to the audio panning problems I'm having? When talking to an NPC the voice is soft when looking straight at them, proper volume when I look right, and almost inaudible if I look left. I thought it might be some surround effect I needed to disable but there's nothing like that in the options.

So any verdict on why this runs poorly on newer PCs? I'm seeing reports of PCs several magnitudes stronger than mine with 1070's/1080's and far better CPUs than the FX6300 struggling to reach 60, whilst my PC has been able to play at a perfect 72FPS without any dips on Ultra in all scenarios I've tested it in.

Are we having another Akiba Strip /w GTX 970 scenario here?

I've tried everything and still can't get past the launcher. Updated nvidia drivers, updated windows, re-installed game, reinstalled vc redistributables, run program as admin checked, compatibility for windows 7, all kinds of things I've heard. Nothing gets past the launcher.

Every other game I have works fine still, including Fallout 4. Guess I just have to wait for the SKSE for the Special Edition to come out or something. Almost seems like my problems are related to having the previous normal Skyrim installed with mods. I've removed all references of it and it still doesn't work. Oh well.

Edit : i7 4770k, 16 gigs of ram, Geforce 1060 6gig btw.

LostDonkey

So any verdict on why this runs poorly on newer PCs? I'm seeing reports of PCs several magnitudes stronger than mine with 1070's/1080's and far better CPUs than the FX6300 struggling to reach 60, whilst my PC has been able to play at a perfect 72FPS without any dips on Ultra in all scenarios I've tested it in.

Who says it runs poorly on newer pc's?

I have a 6700k 1070 16gb ddr4 build and it runs locked 60 1440p absolutely maxed out, and 4k only drops into the mid 50's in towns.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I don't think the FPS issues are related to CPUs at all, like you said, the FX6300 seems to have zero issues with the game, nice core utilization and all, it's more GPU related. Like for me, GPU usage is at 99% at all times almost, regardless of settings, only on the lowest possible does it go down to 70%, which brings core utilization way up along with the framerate.

What GPU are you running btw, I'm on a 280X, same CPU :p

Who says it runs poorly on newer pc's?

I have a 6700k 1070 16gb ddr4 build and it runs locked 60 1440p absolutely maxed out, and 4k only drops into the mid 50's in towns.

Plenty of people with specs similar to yours mentioning dips to the mid 40s. It's really weird. I wonder if this ends up being a "restart your PC once" kind of errors.

Thorn

Ordinator and Apocalypse Magic got SSE mod pages earlier. There was even a port of SkyUI 2.2 but it got taken down by moderation (god the vanilla UI is terrible).

Glad I got it before it was removed, since the author has no plans to port. Now to wait for the gameplay overhauls.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Nothing there.

They really couldn't have done a little bit of work on the cows?

gksSVwM.jpg

I don't think the FPS issues are related to CPUs at all, like you said, the FX6300 seems to have zero issues with the game, nice core utilization and all, it's more GPU related. Like for me, GPU usage is at 99% at all times almost, regardless of settings, only on the lowest possible does it go down to 70%, which brings core utilization way up along with the framerate.

What GPU are you running btw, I'm on a 280X, same CPU :p

Nothing there.

They really couldn't have done a little bit of work on the cows?

gksSVwM.jpg

tumblr_nq9op5hdLW1tqw94do1_1280.jpg

Is the compressed audio related to the audio panning problems I'm having? When talking to an NPC the voice is soft when looking straight at them, proper volume when I look right, and almost inaudible if I look left. I thought it might be some surround effect I needed to disable but there's nothing like that in the options.

The audio panning is a bit quirky even in the original ;)

The best fit settings to prevent the look from obviously missing effects on a GTX 760M (slightly worse than a GTX 750) at 1080p 30 FPS seems to be medium preset, then set God rays to low, and turn off all checkbox options except SSAO and Lens Flares. I appear to be staying just above 30 FPS in a pretty busy part of Riverwood.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Runs pretty well and in check with my expectations but I need to get like a 10fps boost for stable 4K60 on my 1080. Did anyone determine what has the most impact on performance / least impact on fidelity?
The usual suspects would be shadows, AO and God rays. They also have some of the biggest impacts visually, though

Yeah, I couldn't get over a drawbridge in the second dungeon. Just stuck and then warped around the air. Had to cap it to 60. It feels ... rough and meh compared to 100fps :(

This sounds bizzare but its true. I went from 100+fps with physics glitches to a locked 60 and its obviously still smooth but it somehow feels comparatively sluggish >_> first world problems and all that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why should I disable double buffer v-sync, as mentioned in the OP? Does it improve framerate or something?

The way double-buffer vsync works is that it caps the framerate to your refresh rate and divides the former if it drops. So, for instance, if you have a 60Hz monitor, the game will be capped at 60fps (60/1) and drop to 30fps (60/2) if 60fps cannot be maintained, and again to 20fps (60/3) if 30fps cannot be maintained, and so on. Many people instead prefer triple buffering, which can be enabled by way of running the game in a borderless window, as it's refresh rate-independent.

Wallach

Anyone else's controller vibration screwy on PC? It seems like with magic at least that instead of matching the visuals the vibration runs on for like ~3 seconds after I stop casting. Even if you just tap say Flames long enough for it to start casting, it will vibrate for 3 seconds.

Top Bottom