• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The English Fan Translation Thread

Yeshua

DiipuSurotu said:
There was supposed to be a fantranslation for SaGa 3 but the team leader ragequit or something.
That was Crimson Noctural, they were doing Summon Night X Tear Crown as well but the team closed because they didn't want to deal with people whining about the lack of update.
http://crimson-nocturnal.com/

Dunan

I translated the unreleased-in-English sequels to Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Extra Innings. Sports games have a depressingly small fanbase among ron hacking buffs.

bubnbob

Banned
There's great progress being done on Nanashi No Game (DS) over on GBATemp right now. Fingers crossed for that one.

Blood of Bahamut (DS) is also having steady progress, expect a release on that one for sure.

Atolm

There's also fan-translations for the JP versions of Ys VI and Oath in Felghana, in case you prefer playing those on PC. The Oath in Felghana fan translation was even used by Xseed for the official PSP release, I believe.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think there's a fanslation for "Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission" and that's sad :(

A list for ongoing translations would be neat too. Not to say that I need one, as my overflowing bookmark folder for them can attest.

Foffy

Banned
For fans of Demon's Souls and the upcoming Dark Souls, maybe they should give the King's Field games a try. The first one has two fan efforts: one to translate the original game on the Playstation, and a translation to play a visually updated version on the Sword of Moonlight program FromSoftware made. Sword of Moonlight is a program to let fans create their own King's Field games.

Both are found here.

Atolm

Sky Chief said:
This fan translation is excellent, very well done. Its too bad most legitimate localizations are so cheesy.

iirc the guy who did the Policenauts translation was a professional translator himself.

Dunan

Almost forgot: the best fan translation I've ever seen is the one by Gideon Zhi (?) for Treasure of the Rudras. I thoroughly enjoyed playing that.

Aeana

Dunan said:
Almost forgot: the best fan translation I've ever seen is the one by Gideon Zhi (?) for Treasure of the Rudras. I thoroughly enjoyed playing that.
I'm really confident in calling Mother 3 the most professional and high quality fan translation I've ever played. But I do agree that Gideon and Haeleth (translator) did a great job with Rudra.

Aeana said:
I'm really confident in calling Mother 3 the most professional and high quality fan translation I've ever played. But I do agree that Gideon and Haeleth (translator) did a great job with Rudra.
IIRC the guy who did the Mother 3 translation is a professional translator too.

Tadale

There's also a Mother 1+2 translation (at least for Mother 1) done by the same guy who did the Mother 3 translation. It's also excellent.

stalker

Some translation patches I would love to see someday are Slime MoriMori and Tomato Adventure for the GBA. But I guess these two are not high profile.

The games I have enjoyed the most in recent times thanks to very good fan translations are Mother 3, Dragon Quest IIIr (old game but recent translation) and Fire Emblem 6.

Dunan

Aeana said:

Still haven't played Mother 3, but if it's anywhere near what the Rudra team created, it's probably very much worth playing, because with Rudra they just bowled me over again and again. (I only played Surlent's story in the original, but did all three plus the finale on my press-tab-to-speed-up emulator.)

Can I toot my own horn for a moment? Long, long ago I translated three of the four sound novels in Final Fantasy Tactics which were cut out of the English version (and then cut out again in WotL). I really enjoyed making this one, and figuring out what was going on that complicated story as I did it!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Been waiting for years for a KHIIFM+ translation, I almost can't believe there's finally one. Also nice that there's one for FF12 Zodiac, had no idea there was even enough interest for a patch. I always hear about how better the game got in that version.

MechaX

I definitely have to give a thumbs up to the Front Mission translation team. They pretty much rose out of literally nothing, stopped complaining about how much SE fucked up all the time, and managed to put together a pretty good (and what must have taken a significant amount of effort) translation in a surprisingly pretty quick schedule. Not to mention the team is so big in the Front Mission universe that they like bringing some pretty seldom known facts to the fans (like some surprisingly well-placed references to eachother in the older titles, interview tidbits, etc).

I wish the Tales fanbase could get their shit together when it comes to fan-translations (and if Innocence and Graces Wii are examples, they just might be moving in the right direction).

Jigsaw

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Any link or info? How much is translated and what is the difference between FM and vanilla

just google it,i can't link to that forum for obvious reasons

it's the english translation ported back to the japanese FM version,the 5-10 lines of new dialog should be also translated

the fm features english voice acting,a new secret trailer teasing bbs vol 2,an additional epilogue chapter with a completely new area and new boss battles for the arena,including monstro,"no heart" and armor of the master

most of the other new stuff was already included in our overseas version

Dunan said:
Can I toot my own horn for a moment? Long, long ago I translated three of the four sound novels in Final Fantasy Tactics which were cut out of the English version (and then cut out again in WotL). I really enjoyed making this one, and figuring out what was going on that complicated story as I did it!
And then cut again in the iPhone version :(

Dunan

DiipuSurotu said:
And then cut again in the iPhone version :(

The one thing that would have gotten a lot of veterans, myself included, to spend the $15 on a third iteration of this game... and they dump it?

Those sound novels are a lot of fun (well, maybe not the dull one about the 13-year-old girl infatuated with the gardener's son, but the other two, a Jules Verne-ish sci-fi novel about treasure hunters on an airship and a tale of a gambler taking one last shot, are). They add some good background info to Ivalice. They should have been translated.

Atolm

MechaX said:
I definitely have to give a thumbs up to the Front Mission translation team. They pretty much rose out of literally nothing, stopped complaining about how much SE fucked up all the time, and managed to put together a pretty good (and what must have taken a significant amount of effort) translation in a surprisingly pretty quick schedule. Not to mention the team is so big in the Front Mission universe that they like bringing some pretty seldom known facts to the fans (like some surprisingly well-placed references to eachother in the older titles, interview tidbits, etc).

I wish the Tales fanbase could get their shit together when it comes to fan-translations (and if Innocence and Graces Wii are examples, they just might be moving in the right direction).

I'm waiting for a complete Front Mission 2 patch to play the whole series, and I think I'm not the only one :3.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tguy said:
How is the Live-a-Live translation? Is the game worth playing?

Well, the first release was riddled with glitches, typos and ugly as hell... but a few years back, the game got a re-translation and it's MUCH better, with a distinct font for each chapter. Tomato (guy responsible for Mother 3) was one of the contributors.

As for the game itself, well it has its share of flaws but it's one of the most unique RPGs I've ever played. The different chapters of the game are very distinct, with their own gameplay gimmick (one of them - you read NPC minds... another - no combat it's just a creepy 2001-esque adventure on a spacecraft... and another is pure combat), though they are hit-and-miss as well. The game's big plot twist that ties everything together is real neat, too. It's absolutely worth playing.

androvsky

I'm mildly surprised there's not been a Sakura Wars translation patch, since nearly the whole first game (and large chunks of the later ones) has a translated walkthrough. I've been tempted to take a stab at it, since I've been curious on how all this works on a technical level.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
androvsky said:
I'm mildly surprised there's not been a Sakura Wars translation patch, since nearly the whole first game (and large chunks of the later ones) has a translated walkthrough. I've been tempted to take a stab at it, since I've been curious on how all this works on a technical level.
Sakura Wars uses some really weird table/compression format for its text IIRC. I did look into it once. Don't remember any helpful details, but it's not as straightforward as text hacking is on other games on the system.

cj_iwakura

Myself and some freelancers are still working on Shikigami no Shiro/Castle Shikigami (PC). We'll keep you informed.

Translation is near complete. Hacking will be a bitch.

Dunan said:
I translated the unreleased-in-English sequels to Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Extra Innings. Sports games have a depressingly small fanbase among ron hacking buffs.
Really? can i get a link or more info on both of them.

I love that the Tecmo Super Bowl games and the fan hacks that come out every year.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
http://talesofgraces.com/ fills me with so much rage. let's stop this translation project because Namco is releasing the game on a different platform!

Oh by the way make sure to check out our ongoing Tales of Vesperia PS3 project!

What the fuck?

Aeana

Htown said:
http://talesofgraces.com/ fills me with so much rage. let's stop this translation project because Namco is releasing the game on a different platform!

Oh by the way make sure to check out our ongoing Tales of Vesperia PS3 project!

What the fuck?
Graces Wii translation will cut into Graces F sales. Vesperia PS3 translation won't cut into anything since the 360 version has sold what it's going to.

fan-translations are the best thing to happen to gaming since gamefaqs. we need to appreciate these selfless people. there's no money involved, nor is there any artistic expression... sheer kindness alone fuels fan-translations and gamefaqs.

DonMigs85

Time to play Wonder Project J2! Apparently the translation has been out for quite some time, unbeknownst to me.

Top Bottom