• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The English Fan Translation Thread

Aeana

Oh yeah. Some people might be interested in this. It was released to pretty much no fanfare.

Brandish 4 (PC)

It's a PC port of one of my favorite Brandish games, Brandish VT. I haven't actually tried the translation yet, but I'm sure it's good.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
DonMigs85 said:
Roughly how long does it take to beat the game?

If you know what you are doing, I dunno, four hours? I equate it roughly to a Metroid really. Maybe 7 if you get really stuck.

DonMigs85

lobdale said:
If you know what you are doing, I dunno, four hours? I equate it roughly to a Metroid really. Maybe 7 if you get really stuck.
I think I'll give it a try. Though I was expecting it to be similar in length to Link's Awakening.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
DonMigs85 said:
I think I'll give it a try. Though I was expecting it to be similar in length to Link's Awakening.

The script itself is longer and there's more chatting and story than LA, and there is more platforming, but it is definitely not as long and it's much harder to get stuck as long as you think like in Metroid. "Where can I go now" and whatnot.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Aeana said:
Graces Wii translation will cut into Graces F sales. Vesperia PS3 translation won't cut into anything since the 360 version has sold what it's going to.
What? How?

If you own a PS3, you're going to buy Graces F. If you own a Wii, you'll buy Graces and use the fan translation. If you own both, why would you not get Graces F for PS3?

Aeana

Htown said:
What? How?

If you own a PS3, you're going to buy Graces F. If you own a Wii, you'll buy Graces and use the fan translation. If you own both, why would you not get Graces F for PS3?
I would assume that a lot of people would rather pirate a Wii game with a translation than buy a PS3 game.

Either way, that is indeed the rationale behind it. They don't want to do anything that would dissuade people from actually supporting an official western Tales release.

Teknoman

Is there an undub for Maken X? Just got that a few days ago, and while its full of Kaneko art and Meguro aural awesomeness, the voice acting kinda kills each scene.

cj_iwakura

Teknoman said:
Is there an undub for Maken X? Just got that a few days ago, and while its full of Kaneko art and Meguro aural awesomeness, the voice acting kinda kills each scene.

It's hilariously bad dub VA. I enjoyed it.

(Also, don't blame Atlus USA; Sega localized it, I believe.)

I've googled the shit out of it, and I did not find anything regarding a fan translation of Suikoden I&II for PSP. I don't understand. This franchise has a rabid fanbase. Small, but extremely passionate. One would think that a somebody somewhere would have tackled the project. I'd certainly do it if I had the skills necessary, but alas, I don't.

Aeana

AuthenticM said:
I've googled the shit out of it, and I did not find anything regarding a fan translation of Suikoden I&II for PSP. I don't understand. This franchise has a rabid fanbase. Small, but extremely passionate. One would think that a somebody somewhere would have tackled the project. I'd certainly do it if I had the skills necessary, but alas, I don't.
You'd think someone would have done a retranslation of Suikoden 2, also, but nobody has. Meanwhile, Chrono Trigger and FF6 have two each.

bubnbob

Banned
Aeana said:
Oh yeah. Some people might be interested in this. It was released to pretty much no fanfare.

Brandish 4 (PC)

It's a PC port of one of my favorite Brandish games, Brandish VT. I haven't actually tried the translation yet, but I'm sure it's good.

This isn't complete? At least from what the page says.

Aeana

bubnbob said:
This isn't complete? At least from what the page says.
Guess not. I've never tried it or anything. I just assumed it was complete since the patch version is 1.0. My bad.

I know this is the "English" fan translation thread, but I'm just throwing this out there: if any of you are fluent in French, Team CRHack has already hacked Suikoden I&II for PSP and are currently translating it in French. When I googled the fan translation the other week, I came across a forum where people were saying that the game was apparently hard to hack and this was the reason we hadn't seen a fan translation yet. Well, it appears they were wrong.

Link

If I ever find something regarding an English FT, I'll be sure to post it here.

EDIT:

Well, that did not take long. A guy named DarknessSavior hijacked the forums and asked for help regarding an English translation. The guys agreed; they will share their tools with him plus the Japanese script, so he can produce a new English translation. He had wanted to since January 2010, apparently (link).

Many of us are familiar with Demiforce's fan translation of Radical Dreamers, the famous Chrono Trigger sidestory/Chrono Cross prototype, but apparently Demiforce changed a lot of details in his translation. For example, in the original, Kid had "a Time Egg", but in the fan translation this Time Egg is consistently referred to as "the Chrono Trigger" instead. Also in the original Magil knew karate, but he's more of a normal magician in the fan translation. There are probably tons of other differences too.

So... what's people's opinion on fan translations that freely change the original script and story?

Nairume

Banned
DiipuSurotu said:
Many of us are familiar with Demiforce's fan translation of Radical Dreamers, the famous Chrono Trigger sidestory/Chrono Cross prototype, but apparently Demiforce changed a lot of details in his translation. For example, in the original, Kid had "a Time Egg", but in the fan translation this Time Egg is consistently referred to as "the Chrono Trigger" instead. Also in the original Magil knew karate, but he's more of a normal magician in the fan translation. There are probably tons of other differences too.

So... what's people's opinion on fan translations that freely change the original script and story?
Because some fan translators localize and change stuff to try and make things read better instead of just doing a cut and dry translation.

Aeana said:
You'd think someone would have done a retranslation of Suikoden 2, also, but nobody has. Meanwhile, Chrono Trigger and FF6 have two each.
I think they are both up to three each now. All of which are hilariously unnecessary.

graywolf323 said:
possibly a stupid question but was there ever a fan translation of Star Ocean: Blue Sphere?

Not released. Aeon Genesis has a project on the go for it but it looks like it needs a translator.

DiipuSurotu said:

I think there's an incredibly broad spectrum in what you're describing. I'm all in favour of localisation, but I don't like completely self-indulgent changes that add nothing, e.g. self-inserts or shitty/out-of-place pop-culture references. What you described in Radical Dreamers doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

HBroward

This is a great thread, it's reminded me I have to finally play Shining Force 3 episodes 2 and 3. I'll probably have to replay the first at this point as well, with how long it has been.

Nairume

Banned
cultureculture said:
Not released. Aeon Genesis has a project on the go for it but it looks like it needs a translator.
It's been like that for years. I kind of remember finding that they (well, he) had already started it when I was in high school. I'm now in grad school, and the project hasn't publicly made any progress.

But, that's fine. Ghideon and co have put their efforts into much better stuff in the meantime.

Ra1den

Ace Combat 3 has an ongoing fan translation that is partially complete. Seems all the missions are translated, and now just the story scenes remain. It is available for download in its current form.

http://projectnemo.net/

If you want to read about how incredibly butchered the NA version was, here you go:

Released in 1999, the Japanese version is extremely story-driven, featuring anime cutscenes, detailed characters, and 52 missions, with multiple paths through the game and 5 possible endings. The Japanese version introduced some elements carried over to Ace Combat 04, including radio chatter between comrades and enemies, and intelligent wingmen. The American and European versions, released a year later, have been extremely criticized for removing almost all of the story elements, including all of the cutscenes, and cutting the game down to 36 missions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat_3

Ultratech

Monster Hunter 2 Dos
http://monsterhunterdos.weebly.com/index.html

Translates a lot of stuff (Quests/Items/Equips/Etc.) to English (or rough Engrish) and there's variations of the patch to allow for High Rank Online quests and the crafting of "Forbidden Equipment". Also some custom quests in there.

MoogPaul said:
Has progress ended on Soma Bringer or will it ever reach 100%?

It's more or less done. While the author never said why he didn't complete it, I assume there's probably a technical reason behind it...

Anyway, the only thing not translated is some Library data, so everything else in in English.

How is the FF12 International Patch? I was thinking about playing FF12 but was wondering if I should just pick up the International version from ebay and get the patch. Is the International Version worth playing over the original release?

Ultratech

Big Papa Husker said:
How is the FF12 International Patch? I was thinking about playing FF12 but was wondering if I should just pick up the International version from ebay and get the patch. Is the International Version worth playing over the original release?

Patch uses text from the original XII, so it basically that + some stuff.

Is it worth playing over the original? If you can manage to acquire it, then yeah.

hank_tree

AuthenticM said:
I know this is the "English" fan translation thread, but I'm just throwing this out there: if any of you are fluent in French, Team CRHack has already hacked Suikoden I&II for PSP and are currently translating it in French. When I googled the fan translation the other week, I came across a forum where people were saying that the game was apparently hard to hack and this was the reason we hadn't seen a fan translation yet. Well, it appears they were wrong.

Link

If I ever find something regarding an English FT, I'll be sure to post it here.

EDIT:

Well, that did not take long. A guy named DarknessSavior hijacked the forums and asked for help regarding an English translation. The guys agreed; they will share their tools with him plus the Japanese script, so he can produce a new English translation. He had wanted to since January 2010, apparently (link).

Has anyone been following this? Has there been any updates since? Since English text exists for both games already I would hope this wouldn't take too long. Relatively speaking.

hank_tree said:
Has anyone been following this? Has there been any updates since? Since English text exists for both games already I would hope this wouldn't take too long. Relatively speaking.
I am following this. There doesn't seem to have been any update since June. You can tell from the bottom of this page, where we can read:

Dernière Mise à Jour : 24 Juin 2011

Basically: "Last update: June 24th, 2011"

B.K.

hank_tree said:
Since English text exists for both games already I would hope this wouldn't take too long. Relatively speaking.

Both games really need a new translation though.

It's always broken me to discover there's been no completed translation of Mega/SEGA CD Shadowrun. Especially with so many fans craving a new Shadowrun RPG of that sort of size and style. Massive shame.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
cbrotherson said:
It's always broken me to discover there's been no completed translation of Mega/SEGA CD Shadowrun. Especially with so many fans craving a new Shadowrun RPG of that sort of size and style. Massive shame.
Theres not much activity at all with SegaCD translations or hacks. There might be technical issues to consider here.

cbrotherson said:
There's a Shadowrun Starter Pack (for potential hackers and translators) over at RHDN's abandoned projects page, if anyone's interested.

But enough about the inert. I've been looking through RHDN's forums, and it is nice to see that there has been notable progress on some interesting projects. The first draft of the translated script for Rent A Hero was recently finished, and the Moon Remix RPG project now has a skilled translator and hacker.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is a little different than the translation focus of the thread but there are some really cool hacks/improvements of recent platform games. Probably the most notable is Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3. The hack is available for both the PSX and PSP version and here is the summary from the website:

1.3 is a mod made by Archael for the game Final Fantasy Tactics which greatly increases the game's difficulty by rebalancing the game.
It alters enemies, items, jobs, skills, and fixes many gameplay mechanic exploits present in the original.
It is, to date, the most popular Final Fantasy Tactics mod out there. It is based on the original FFT 1.1 and 1.2 patches by Philsov. Counting every minor change, FFT 1.3 contains 404,421 individual differences from the original game.
ModDB page for FFT 1.3
FFT 1.3 Youtube Trailer

There are some other interesting ones such as bugfixes for FFVIIs Spirit value, Jade Cocoon 2 Complete, and the Phantom Hourglass D-Pad hack.

cj_iwakura

I don't suppose Sega CD hacking would be that hard. The console's got no copy protection, and people have hacked Saturn games for god sakes.

I've heard mixed things about Shadowrun SCD; that it's great on one hand, boring on another.

I'd play it in a heartbeat if given the chance.

shadowrunmcd-17.png

butanebob

Neo Member
I never understood those hacks that make JRPG's/SRPG's more difficult. They're long enough already with way too much emphasis on grinding. :S

butanebob said:
I never understood those hacks that make JRPG's/SRPG's more difficult. They're long enough already with way too much emphasis on grinding. :S
That's the kind of hacks that's made "by hackers for hackers" and not normal players.

Top Bottom