• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

d00d3n

Can someone tell me where you are getting the cdkeys code? Is it emailed? On the site? I got nothing.

I got an email with a download link when I bought the game back in July. Today, that link led to scanned steam codes for the game and the DLC. I got no further email signalling that the game had been released, so I had to go back to the original confirmation email after my order.

Astral Dog

Ok, so I got this game totally unexpected today already. I won't properly start until Saturday but couldn't resist to take a small peak already. And coming directly from Evil Within 1, which I wrapped up just two days ago, I REALLY dig part 2. It seems like it's an improvement in every single way.

Just a few tidbits:

- Graphics are a HUGE step forward compared to one. It's not even funny. I can't confirm that it supports 4k but it looks extremely crisp on my 1080p TV which leads me to believe that it is downsampled. But take this with a grain of sault.
- Sebastian looks like Bruce Campbell and sounds weird thanks to the exchanged voice actors. But it's not that bad.
- Animation, while still a bit stiff, have clearly been improved. Controls feel much better in part 2.
- Storytelling has, thank god, been improved a lot. The introduction and the goal is clear. You know immediately what it's all about.

That's about it from my short park into the game. From the first 30 minutes alone I can already tell that I am going to like this game loads more than the messy first part. The weekend should be fun. Can't wait.
Sounds good, very glad the graphics wereimproved what about the art direction ?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Sanctuary

There has been more horror games this generation haven't there? I'm not checking release dates but some that come to mind:

Amnesia
Layers of Fear
The Observer
Resident Evil Revelations 2

Those are just a few other than RE7 and EW. EW takes a fat dump over all those though. Granted RE7 is the second best. It would be stronger than EW if the enemies weren't so whack.

The only one on that list that would be considered Action/Horror would be Revelations 2, and because of how decidedly last gen the entire affair is, I forgot that it was a current gen game.

Anyway, I ended up getting this on PC. My biggest issue from the start isn't even really going to be so much about the actual gameplay or potentially foibles of the game itself, but rather getting it to launch with HDR with the current state of Windows 10 CU and HDR in general.

kc44135

Ok, so I got this game totally unexpected today already. I won't properly start until Saturday but couldn't resist to take a small peak already. And coming directly from Evil Within 1, which I wrapped up just two days ago, I REALLY dig part 2. It seems like it's an improvement in every single way.

Just a few tidbits:

- Graphics are a HUGE step forward compared to one. It's not even funny. I can't confirm that it supports 4k but it looks extremely crisp on my 1080p TV which leads me to believe that it is downsampled. But take this with a grain of sault.
- Sebastian looks like Bruce Campbell and sounds weird thanks to the exchanged voice actors. But it's not that bad.
- Animation, while still a bit stiff, have clearly been improved. Controls feel much better in part 2.
- Storytelling has, thank god, been improved a lot. The introduction and the goal is clear. You know immediately what it's all about.

That's about it from my short park into the game. From the first 30 minutes alone I can already tell that I am going to like this game loads more than the messy first part. The weekend should be fun. Can't wait.

Hmmm, sounds quite good. This is basically what everyone who's played the game so far has said. These impressions definitely bode well, but it will be interesting to see how the reviews pan out tomorrow. Also, I like Bruce, so I don't mind Seb doing some cosplay. One quick question:
Has Seb said his infamous "what the fuck?" line yet?

rtcn63

TEW1 Seb and Kidman look like they're modeled after real people (or at least, a pastiche of noir/cop stereotypes)

TEW2 Seb and Kidman look like they're modeled after generic video game characters

That said, Kidman looks better in action (referring to the previews).

kc44135

There has been more horror games this generation haven't there? I'm not checking release dates but some that come to mind:

Amnesia
Layers of Fear
The Observer
Resident Evil Revelations 2

Those are just a few other than RE7 and EW. EW takes a fat dump over all those though. Granted RE7 is the second best. It would be stronger than EW if the enemies weren't so whack.

You're actually forgetting quite a few here. Alien: Isolation, Outlast 1 and 2, Until Dawn, and a few others (generally indie stuff like Little Nightmares). There's definitely been a decent amount of horror games this gen, just very, very few AAA Horror games.

TEW1 Seb and Kidman look like they're modeled after real people (or at least, a pastiche of noir/cop stereotypes)

TEW2 Seb and Kidman look like they're modeled after generic video game characters

That said, Kidman looks better in action (referring to the previews).

The character designs in the first game are way more stylized. Sebastian looked like a Japanese version of an American hero with his absurdly square jaw.

In TEW 2 they look more like real people. Not saying one approach is better than the other, but it was probably done in conjunction with the more serious, empathetic narrative they seem to be going for.

Sanctuary

You're actually forgetting quite a few here. Alien: Isolation, Outlast 1 and 2, Until Dawn, and a few others (generally indie stuff like Little Nightmares). There's definitely been a decent amount of horror games this gen, just very, very few AAA Horror games.

That isn't even what I was replying to. Not "horror" games in general, but action/horror. The releases of traditional survival horror games has been close to non existent this gen. So when I said two, I wasn't far off the mark.

As far as I know only three series have this style of TPS action-horror: RE, Dead Space, and Evil Within. Two of them were started by the same guy!

Like, nobody else has ever thought of doing it?

Parasite Eve and Silent Hill weren't as polished the action department, but they weren't drastically dissimilar overall. Maybe there just wasn't a demand for the genre high enough to support more than a few every few years? Dead Space started out amazing and then quickly just turned into another modern TPS (with "horror elements!") by the third. No idea if that's really what the mainstream was wanting, but now the series is dead.

Plus, in the current state of gaming, it seems like the "made for Youtube viewing" games (Outlast, Alien Isolation, Until Dawn) are somehow more popular.

As far as I know only three series have this style of TPS action-horror: RE, Dead Space, and Evil Within. Two of them were started by the same guy!

kc44135

That isn't even what I was replying to. Not "horror" games in general, but action/horror. The releases of traditional survival horror games has been close to non existent this gen. So when I said two, I wasn't far off the mark.

Parasite Eve and Silent Hill weren't as polished the action department, but they weren't drastically dissimilar. Maybe there just wasn't a demand for the genre high enough to support more than a few every few years? Dead Space started out amazing and then quickly just turned into another modern TPS (with "horror elements!"). No idea if that's really what the mainstream was wanting, but now the series is dead.
Ah, I see. Yeah, not much out there for Action-Horror fans atm. RE: Revelations 2 kinda counts though, even if it's mediocre.

Dead Space tried, but it's Dead now.

Man I hope that's not the case. I just want a less janky TEW1 with better level design.

That's what I want too, but this seems like a completely different game, it's also very ''western'' in its core.

Very westernized open world/sandbox design.

You keep saying this, but you've seen, what, 6 chapters at the most? We don't even know how much of the game actually is. Maybe wait and see what the whole game has to offer before making such accusations?

Sure, just keep in mind I was among the first to call it.

Workbench upgrades, crafting with nails, metals and gunpowder, generic American town covered with green vegetations, ''zombies'' that makes clickers sounds, camera angle and position identical to TLoU....

The game is heavily inspired by a lot of western games, especially TLoU.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Sanctuary

Very western open world / sandbox design.

Awesome, two things that generally put me to sleep. I've never actually played an open world horror game however other than Dying Light, so maybe this will be different. That game was actually pretty fun for what it was for maybe ten hours.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If this is decent, I'm in. Any word on framerate?
My impression so far that it runs just as good as TEW in boost mode on the Pro - and that means very good. Looked and feeled like rock solid 30 fps on the PS4pro so far.

Hmmm, sounds quite good. This is basically what everyone who's played the game so far has said. These impressions definitely bode well, but it will be interesting to see how the reviews pan out tomorrow. Also, I like Bruce, so I don't mind Seb doing some cosplay. One quick question:
Has Seb said his infamous "what the fuck?" line yet?
Nope. But he sure does say bullshit a lot so far.

Parasite Eve and Silent Hill weren't as polished the action department, but they weren't drastically dissimilar overall. Maybe there just wasn't a demand for the genre high enough to support more than a few every few years? Dead Space started out amazing and then quickly just turned into another modern TPS (with "horror elements!") by the third. No idea if that's really what the mainstream was wanting, but now the series is dead.

Dead Space tried, but it's Dead now.

Wasn't Dead Space 3 the result of EA forcing the change of direction than what the developers wanted? I think something similar happened to FEAR3.

Point is, Dead Space is the only other game that tried.

Duxxy3

Wasn't Dead Space 3 the result of EA forcing the change of direction than what the developers wanted? I think something similar happened to FEAR3.

I enjoyed Fear 3 much more than Dead Space 3.

Shit, I just acknowledged Dead Space 3's existence.

Dusk Golem

It's not anymore Last of Us than the original game, honestly. The same comparisons the original game could have, IE Resident Evil, Last of Us, Silent Hill, can be made with TEW2.

It's actually more its own beast since LoU wasn't open-world anyway, and the open-world isn't what I think many think it is, it's more stylized like Silent Hill both in the fact the town parts are split into 'segments' like Silent Hill rather than one seamless open world (they're more just bigger levels you can explore), and the town segments are not randomized in anyway, IE there's no respawning enemies, infinite enemies, or anything. Enemies in even the hub world areas are intentionally placed there by the designers and once killed are dead for good. There are story moments that spawn more enemies in parts of the overworld, but that's still intentionally designed.

Some people don't like the art direction of the first part of Union, and that's all down to taste but Chapter 3's open world bits are its thing, then the chapters that follow are its own thing too. I'm trying not to speak too much since I need to form my own opinion and don't want to get to spoiler talk for others, but I think some are jumping the gun too hard from superficial similarities and not seeing the mechanics, level design, and pacing at play to differentiate itself and how it's still very much Evil Within. Almost all the people behind TEW2 are the same people who were behind TEW1, given they have more experience, critique, and going for not exactly the same vision now, and it shows.

I know I need to see past Chapter 6 to judge the game properly, but everything I've seen so far just depresses me. I really LOVE the first game, and I consider it to be my GOTY of 2014, and I was really excited about the sequel. but other than the ''gameplay'' everything else seems bland to me, it's just not as dark and interesting, everything in TEW2 just looks colorful and flat.

The first TEW might not be perfect, but it is something that I honestly have never seen before, even the Silent Hill inspired approach feels original and unique. It's truly a Mikami game, no doubt.

This one really just feels like a ''western dude's typical horror shooter'' with colorful skill tree, weapon wheel and map icons. (and yes, the director this time is a western guy, not Mikami.)

Not saying TEW2 is bad or anything, I am just disappointed by how ''not unique'' it feels, it really feels like a mix of games I've already seen and played, and surprisingly The Evil Within isn't one of them...

I completely disagree with you.

For starters, it's literally the exact same team making TEW2 than 1. It's not any more westernized than the original game, outside of the first game having kind of a Japanese interpretation of European architecture and this being a kind of Japanese interpretation of American architecture. And there's some people weirdly fear-mongering the director was 'originally American', despite the fact he has lived in Japan now for longer than he ever lived in America, he worked on the first game and was lead designer some of people's favorite chapters of the original and did the DLC, he was selected by Mikami and the team for that. The 'open world' is overselling what it is, I keep making the Silent Hill comparisons because it literally is like if you took Silent Hill 1 & Downpour-esque elements into a blender. In the original Silent Hill the town is split into segments you can freely explore before you get to your main objective, there's supplies to find around town and a few small story things (like cheryl's notebook, the store, etc). The enemies are all placed and designed for the areas they patrol in that game and occasionally you have an objective to do in the overworld, like the first one is to find three keys to open up a door in Silent Hill 1.

The Evil Within 2 is structured more like this, the Chapter 3 'open world' is actually not that big. It's about six city blocks by four city blocks, but in a more suburb forest area. There are various places you can decide to explore, or not. Some trigger story moments, optional cutscenes, and some even lead to completely optional levels you don't need to do but can choose to do. It doesn't work like a 'Western' open world, both in the whole place is intentionally designed, the 'side-quests' are no more than exploring optional locations (you don't need to kill X enemies ever, you don't talk to NPCs to receive side-quests, you just explore and can stumble on things). And if you don't want to, you don't need to. Just go to the story location and move on.

In the first six chapters, only chapter 3 is in a more open level. And even then, you can do things like route plan in the stage as enemies don't respawn (unless a story moment happens to make more enemies appear specifically in that area). Now I would recommend some exploring, there's some weapons you can permanently miss for example by not doing so, but there's more than one type of each weapon anyway (like I right now know of four different kinds handguns you can get).

I know you have talked about how much you personally dislike the HUD and the art direction of Union, and it's okay to think that, but I honestly think your letting your dislike of it cloud your vision to make serious jumps here. You can turn off all HUD elements individually if you really dislike them so much (I played the first game with absolutely zero HUD, no aiming reticle, no nothing, and I plan to do the same here), and it's okay to be disappointed and your feelings are yours, but you're so focused on one part of the game you dislike you're not really even seeing everything else.

You have a point, but still I can't help but feel disappointed.
At one point I was an artist, and I do think I am a bit too sensitive when it comes to color, lighting, tone, immersion and atmosphere, especially in games...my favorite kind of art form. I always value games that can create an experience deep like a dream, ICO and Demon's Souls are good examples.

I see a lot of talent in the first Evil Within, it was a beautiful piece of art in my honest opinion, with a better control and more thought out level design it could be one of the best game of this generation.

I just can't see that twisted talent anywhere in TEW2, that eerie, drippy, suffocating, dirty atmosphere is pretty much gone, it's rarely seen in this game, at least in the first 6 chapter, most of the time it feels like a game made by a different team somewhere in the west.

Dusk Golem

Linkura

Not saying TEW2 is bad or anything, I am just disappointed by how ''not unique'' it feels, it really feels like a mix of games I've already seen and played, and surprisingly The Evil Within isn't one of them...

I agree with this based on what we've seen so far. The atmosphere overall does not seem like what you think a sequel to TEW would be. I think the design of the Union hub in particular was a huge misstep and might be a big misrepresentation of the rest of the game, but we just don't know for sure at this point. Union looks like it just came out of TLOU or another Western TPS, not a survival horror game.

Sanctuary

I find it mildly amusing seeing the "It's like TLOU" comments being countered with "It's no more TLOU than the first game!" when the first game was so blatantly "inspired" by TLOU, among all of the other "best of" games mix it tried doing. Maybe it seems even more obvious in TEW2, but it would be disingenuous to claim the first game didn't have much, or anything in common with it.

edit: That also doesn't mean it was more inspired by TLOU than any of the other games either, but it did seem to stand out more.

I also take it as a very good sign most horror enthusiasts I know who have the game early are loving it, but we shall see. I'll have my own thoughts to share tomorrow.

People you know and all that, but I'm nowhere near as forgiving as you are with modern horror games, and I consider myself a horror enthusiast. Just not regarding most modern horror video games it seems.

Linkura

kc44135

That's what I want too, but this seems like a completely different game, it's also very ''western'' in its core.

Very westernized open world/sandbox design.

Sure, just keep in mind I was among the first to call it.

Workbench upgrades, crafting with nails, metals and gunpowder, generic American town covered with green vegetations, ''zombies'' that makes clickers sounds, camera angle and position identical to TLoU....

The game is heavily inspired by a lot of western games, especially TLoU.
OK. I disagree.
It's not anymore Last of Us than the original game, honestly. The same comparisons the original game could have, IE Resident Evil, Last of Us, Silent Hill, can be made with TEW2.

It's actually more its own beast since LoU wasn't open-world anyway, and the open-world isn't what I think many think it is, it's more stylized like Silent Hill both in the fact the town parts are split into 'segments' like Silent Hill rather than one seamless open world (they're more just bigger levels you can explore), and the town segments are not randomized in anyway, IE there's no respawning enemies, infinite enemies, or anything. Enemies in even the hub world areas are intentionally placed there by the designers and once killed are dead for good. There are story moments that spawn more enemies in parts of the overworld, but that's still intentionally designed.

Some people don't like the art direction of the first part of Union, and that's all down to taste but Chapter 3's open world bits are its thing, then the chapters that follow are its own thing too. I'm trying not to speak too much since I need to form my own opinion and don't want to get to spoiler talk for others, but I think some are jumping the gun too hard from superficial similarities and not seeing the mechanics, level design, and pacing at play to differentiate itself and how it's still very much Evil Within. Almost all the people behind TEW2 are the same people who were behind TEW1, given they have more experience, critique, and going for not exactly the same vision now, and it shows.

I completely disagree with you.

For starters, it's literally the exact same team making TEW2 than 1. It's not any more westernized than the original game, outside of the first game having kind of a Japanese interpretation of European architecture and this being a kind of Japanese interpretation of American architecture. And there's some people weirdly fear-mongering the director was 'originally American', despite the fact he has lived in Japan now for longer than he ever lived in America, he worked on the first game and was lead designer some of people's favorite chapters of the original and did the DLC, he was selected by Mikami and the team for that. The 'open world' is overselling what it is, I keep making the Silent Hill comparisons because it literally is like if you took Silent Hill 1 & Downpour-esque elements into a blender. In the original Silent Hill the town is split into segments you can freely explore before you get to your main objective, there's supplies to find around town and a few small story things (like cheryl's notebook, the store, etc). The enemies are all placed and designed for the areas they patrol in that game and occasionally you have an objective to do in the overworld, like the first one is to find three keys to open up a door in Silent Hill 1.

The Evil Within 2 is structured more like this, the Chapter 3 'open world' is actually not that big. It's about six city blocks by four city blocks, but in a more suburb forest area. There are various places you can decide to explore, or not. Some trigger story moments, optional cutscenes, and some even lead to completely optional levels you don't need to do but can choose to do. It doesn't work like a 'Western' open world, both in the whole place is intentionally designed, the 'side-quests' are no more than exploring optional locations (you don't need to kill X enemies ever, you don't talk to NPCs to receive side-quests, you just explore and can stumble on things). And if you don't want to, you don't need to. Just go to the story location and move on.

In the first six chapters, only chapter 3 is in a more open level. And even then, you can do things like route plan in the stage as enemies don't respawn (unless a story moment happens to make more enemies appear specifically in that area). Now I would recommend some exploring, there's some weapons you can permanently miss for example by not doing so, but there's more than one type of each weapon anyway (like I right now know of four different kinds handguns you can get).

I know you have talked about how much you personally dislike the HUD and the art direction of Union, and it's okay to think that, but I honestly think your letting your dislike of it cloud your vision to make serious jumps here. You can turn off all HUD elements individually if you really dislike them so much (I played the first game with absolutely zero HUD, no aiming reticle, no nothing, and I plan to do the same here), and it's okay to be disappointed and your feelings are yours, but you're so focused on one part of the game you dislike you're not really even seeing everything else.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Dusk Golem to the rescue! :)
My impression so far that it runs just as good as TEW in boost mode on the Pro - and that means very good. Looked and feeled like rock solid 30 fps on the PS4pro so far.

Nope. But he sure does say bullshit a lot so far.
:D

Oh yeah, definitely. EA pulled an EA with DS3, no doubt. I just wanted to use the "Dead Space is Dead" joke. :p

I agree with this based on what we've seen so far. The atmosphere overall does not seem like what you think a sequel to TEW would be. I think the design of the Union hub in particular was a huge misstep and might be a big misrepresentation of the rest of the game, but we just don't know for sure at this point. Union looks like it just came out of TLOU or another Western TPS, not a survival horror game.

I just hope someone can show me sneak peak of the game beyond Chapter 7, what I've seen in the first 6 chapter are extremely disappointing.

I find it mildly amusing seeing the "It's like TLOU" comments being countered with "It's no more TLOU than the first game!" when the first game was so blatantly "inspired" by TLOU.

I find it funny when people say the ''first game is just as much like TLoU''

I was talking about the enemy design (red eye zombies that makes clickers noises) and the location we are in (the generic American town called Union) and the loot/upgrade/crafting system in general, not just the gameplay or the camera angle...

The style and setting in general are just similar, and to me, very bland as a horror game.

mz0dRYB.png

MY5gouJ.png

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

kodecraft

I'm not looking at this stream, but there is somebody streaming right now that's beyond chapter 7 right now (got the game from a store, not under contract). It's still going right now, BUT HUGE SPOILERS, obviously: https://go.twitch.tv/mofa_tv

(I'm not going to look at it to not spoil myself anymore, but confirmed it's still going on just now.)

Dusk, are you streaming or at least uploading your play through?

Dusk Golem

Linkura

I'm not looking at this stream, but there is somebody streaming right now that's beyond chapter 7 right now (got the game from a store, not under contract). It's still going right now, BUT HUGE SPOILERS, obviously: https://go.twitch.tv/mofa_tv

(I'm not going to look at it to not spoil myself anymore, but confirmed it's still going on just now.)
Thanks for posting, was hoping someone would stream past chapter 6. :)

Edit: Where the stream is at right now looks a LOT more like the first game than what we've seen so far. He is currently on Chapter 14.

Thanks, will watch.

EDIT: Without spoiling shit I say it looks much better than the first 6 chapters which in my opinion is just The Last of Us trash. The UI is still as ugly as a cup of rainbow diarrhea but at least the environment look more dark, eerie and atmospheric, look more like TEW1 environment than The Last of Us environment.

Now if only they get rid of that ugly cartoon interface...we can have a real survival horror game...

This please

09-EvilWithin-copy.jpg

Not this

news-15067432114114.jpg

Top Bottom