• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Curufinwe

And how can people say that Rev2 wasn't inspired at least somewhat by TLoU? You could craft smoke/explosive bombs and molotovs. Even the ingredients used are similar. Hell the whole aesthetic of the game takes cues.

At best, you can argue that Rev2 is a light-hearted parody. One with much more replay value.

The looting and crafting was definitely similar to TLOU.

Dynasty8

I've boycotted looking at any trailers or gameplay footage (due to many spoilers in today's media coverage). All I'd like to know from the people who have been playing it early...How are you guys liking it compared to the first one?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jake2by4

Ya, the lenticular slip cover and reversible insert made the packaging of the first game pretty sweet.

Apparently the strategy guide is essentially the 'collector's edition', it is also the artbook (with no proper one confirmed), and comes with a special cover for the game:

https://www.primagames.com/games/ev...il-within-2-collectors-edition-strategy-guide

Meh, Bethesda should have went the extra mile like there other games. Would have been good for a Steelbook edition, with a copy of the soundtrack, and e-guide.

rtcn63

little upset this didn't get any kind of special/ collector's edition or a slip cover like the first one.

the-evil-within-2-2-630x354.jpg

I+ve+seen+the+end+not+_a72781984d69d68c13fc9e97b210725b.png

Close enough

SomTervo

There's something about the structure of Alan Wake that keeps it distinct from the others mentioned, in my mind.

TEW, Dead Space, and Resident Evil all feel much more similar to me than Alan Wake feels to any of them. Everyone has their own definition of what "Survival Horror" means, but Alan Wake seems the most difficult to fit into that genre out of them, for me.

Alan Wake is the only one I feel that has traditional 'levels'. Every one of the 10-12 'episodes' is a distinct environment and progression through that environment. I think the only time you cover the same ground twice is when you go through the diner and town again while the Darkness is attacking everything?

Compare that to TEW, Resi and Dead Space where you repeatedly return to the same environments even if they're only 'save' environments or whatever.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's faster to download through Steam after launch than to wait for it to unpack, if you have a good speed, right?
Took like 3 minutes to pre-load but I'm probably going to uninstall.

Well waiting the last 24 hours or so is always the hardest. Especially when you have another 8 hour day of work to get through!

OniBaka

It's faster to download through Steam after launch than to wait for it to unpack, if you have a good speed, right?
Took like 3 minutes to pre-load but I'm probably going to uninstall.
Man I wish I had that speed, unpacking probably takes 10 mins.

Zeneric

I haven't looked at any impressions (media black out). What is the reception of the game so far? More positive than negative? Better than the first game? Is the modified engine excellently optimized for PC?

RevenWolf

I haven't looked at any impressions (media black out). What is the reception of the game so far? More positive than negative? Better than the first game? Is the modified engine excellently optimized for PC?

I want to know this too. I felt that the first game had alot of potential but fell on its face too often to be enjoyable. How does this one compare?

Dusk Golem

Karak

Seen a lot dislike it tremendously and a lot like it tremendously. So identical to the first it seems like lol.

OniBaka

Seen a lot dislike it tremendously and a lot like it tremendously. So identical to the first it seems like lol.

Survival horror isn't for everyone.

Anyway finally Australia gets the release earlier than other countries, don't have to mess with VPN to play same time as US.

Dusk Golem

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Well all this stuff sucked me into this game, just like the first one did. I am a suckered for horror survival. The story on this one seems pretty decent, also.

antitrop

This is a rough estimate from some information I have that's incomplete, but looking like a 13-20 hour game. I know of two completed times, one person it was 15 & a half hours, the other it was 19 and a half hours. Apparently it's longer than the first game even if you don't do all the side-quest stuff.

Ya, I think the first one was like 12 or 13 hours for me.

Zukkoyaki

Seeing some positive impressions from folks that weren't keen on the first game has caught my attention. After thoroughly enjoying Resident Evil 7, my interest in non-hide and seem survival horror is the highest it's ever been... May have to check this out.

Grisby

I enjoyed Fear 3 much more than Dead Space 3.

Shit, I just acknowledged Dead Space 3's existence.
Ah man, I can;t follow that. DS3 was disappointing to be sure but it had some ok stuff. The weapon crafting was fun for a little while, the space sections at the beginning were decent and as a fan of the Thing the ice planet made me smile several times.

A lot of stuff wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete dumpster fire. F3AR on the other hand man was straight garbage and I don't usually call many games that. Nothing memorable in that game outside of maybe meeting the protagonist from the sequel and learning that he was basically Alma's sex buddy slave.

Dusk Golem

Sanctuary

Survival horror isn't for everyone.

That isn't necessarily relevant at all. A lot of people that enjoyed the classic SV games didn't care for the first game much for various reasons, while just as many seemed to think it was the best thing since ever. I personally thought the previous game was a 7/10 at best. It wasn't awful, and I'm glad that I played it, but it won't be remembered as a classic by me. It did a lot of things right, but lacked identity and focus. I suppose I enjoyed it about as much as RE7.

/shrug

Anyway, I've been mostly on a blackout regarding this game, and the initial trailers at least made it appear to me that it could be an improvement upon the first. Even if it was more concerned with the action aspects, it would at least seem more focused in what it wanted to do, and the trailers didn't show anything offputting to me.

edit: Also, fuck me. I thought this was unlocking at 10PM PST tomorrow, but it's AM?

I don't know, I don't really see that? Unless you just mean like recent games. But if you're just talking in general I feel like there's a lot of universally loved horror games.

Like what exactly? Resident Evil had a relatively large following, but a lot of people couldn't stand the originals because of the "garbage controls" and a lot of the supposed diehards threw a fit when RE4 was released, proclaiming that it was no longer horror and straight up action.

Similarly, critics and obviously many who purchased the first and second Dead Space games loved them, but a lot of people still bitched about the controls, claiming Isaac felt like an archaic tank, so that ruined the gameplay for them.

The original Alone in the Dark?

Shauni

I mean almost every horror game ever seems to have a huge love it hate it from people. Sounds normal to me. Lol

I don't know, I don't really see that? Unless you just mean like recent games. But if you're just talking in general I feel like there's a lot of universally loved horror games.

rtcn63

If it were not for the slight difference in eye color, I'd guess that Kidman and Lily were the same person. Although pulling a River Song would just be unclean.

As a die hard F.E.A.R. fan everytime I see FEAR3 I want to smash the screen.

F.E.A.R. 2 was already disappointing enough, FEAR3 is just straight up cod cancer.

Dead Space 3 on the other hand was at least a fun TPS game with a long meaty singleplayer, it's the RE5 of Dead Space series, fun on solo & co-op but simply not scary at all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sorry if this has been covered in this thread, but it's hard to tell without reviews: is this game a tonal improvement on the first game? I liked the first game a lot mechanically, even some of the more controversial sections (limited ammo run through the city), but nothing about the design of the world or the story stand out to me. Like, I vaguely remember some things, but couldn't tell you what the bread and butter enemies looked. This is from someone who could map most of RE4 out on grid paper at this point.

edit: just saw Dusk's summary above. It doesn't quite answer this, but thanks all the same!

aravuus

So VPN unlocking is possible in 11-ish hours? That's around 7pm here, reeeaaally can't decide whether to unlock it early or not lol. I kinda want my first dive into the game be on a weekend so I can play as much as I want to, but I might be busy tomorrow and couldn't play before Saturday.

Top Bottom