• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

jwillenn

I... can't do it. What can I say, I'm a puss when it comes to Horror games and Evil Within is on levels of horror well beyond the last one I finished (RE4... for GC). That stuff is way more effective than movies of the same genre have ever been. I'll catch a let's play and do the right side of the player's ****s and giggles...

Jacob4815

I'm very disappointed for the lack of PRO support.

I'm tempted to cancel my preorder, but I loved the first game and I want to play the sequel...

This game not having any X or Pro support is beyond stupid..

Especially with other Bathesda titles supporting the upgrades..

This is a turn off for me as well.. I'll wait..

Perineum

I... can't do it. What can I say, I'm a puss when it comes to Horror games and Evil Within is on levels of horror well beyond the last one I finished (RE4... for GC). That stuff is way more effective than movies of the same genre have ever been. I'll catch a let's play and do the right side of the player's ****s and giggles...

You know the same part of your brain that releases endorphins when you laugh does so when you are scared? Nut up and get some endo's brew.

I used to not play horror games when I was little but when I got older I tried Dead Space 1 which solidified the experience for me. If you are that bashful play in a well lit room and maybe have a laptop by you playing some music.

Me personally I'll be headphones on in a dark room after 10PM to get the full effect. It is a game after all and anytime you want to break that immersion you just make the character teabag or run into a wall like an idiot on purpose.

That all said if you want a good ass spooby game that can immerse you in great atmosphere then yes Evil Within 1 had that in spades. I definitely got some good jump scares. Dead Space is still the king of making you think something is coming and it never does due to such outstanding audio use.

The game can't kill you. You got hairs on your chest. DO IT!

Gitaroo

a58c26ed2b1ce875cc33e4918eea2b0720170615110838.png

Is that not real? Would be weird to have a pro system but not actually support it.

kc44135

That's really strange because I thought pro support was required in all games released? (at least the big ones?)

The only requirement for games on PRO AFAIK is that they run at 1080p resolution minimum. That's it, unfortunately. I'd like to believe that this is a PREY situation though, where the Devs patch in support later (perhaps after X1X launches?). Regardless, it is strange to have any game launch without PRO support.

burgerdog

So the ps4 box art is out in the wild and no mention of pro support? It would be really weird if it didn’t support it, wait for confirmation, guys.

I posted a link to the PlayStation evil within 2 page that has it listed as having pro support. I really don't think they would post that if it wasn't the case as they could be sued for false advertising.

DigSCCP

With all the hype around TEW 2 I decided to give a chance to the first one even with all the problems that PS4 edition had and dammmmn I´m glad I did it.
TEW2 is already on my future buy list even if Im not finished with the first yet.

Perineum

Game looks good with or without pro support. Keep in mind EW was made originally for PS3 on an engine for that system.

IMO EW1 looked great, and this will be a looker now with a new engine designed for PS4 bottom up.

It's a 1080/60 or 1080/30 confirmed product? If it's 30 I don't see the Pro support bumping it to 60. There's few games that aren't first party that do anything worth a shit from base to Pro. That's coming from someone who has a Pro.

kc44135

This PlayStation page has it listed as having pro support

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-evil-within-2-ps4/
Perhaps all hope is not lost? :D
Game looks good with or without pro support. Keep in mind EW was made originally for PS3 on an engine for that system.

IMO EW1 looked great, and this will be a looker now with a new engine designed for PS4 bottom up.

It's a 1080/60 or 1080/30 confirmed product? If it's 30 I don't see the Pro support bumping it to 60. There's few games that aren't first party that do anything worth a shit from base to Pro. That's coming from someone who has a Pro.

Higher resolutions (and downsampling) aren't worth a shit?

Aske

For a long time, I thought that Shade was some twisted manifestation of how Kidman viewed herself. The model viewer blew that theory right out of the water. This is what it says about her:

"Shade is tall, flexible, and suggestive. Another of Ruvik's pawns, she is a physical manifestation of his search for a new body. Like Kidman, she searches for Leslie and her light has the ability to reveal memories and locations buried within the minds of people connected to STEM."

Just more Ruvik being a fucking weirdo lmao.

Anyway, here's the Myra doc.

Thanks! And thank you for the Shade text. I still can't believe the parallels to Kidman are coincidence. Perhaps Ruvik created her in mockery of Kidman. I forget if the game's lore supports it, but I think she could also be a Ruvik creation perceived as something different by Kidman - or any of the other characters. Prepared to be wrong about that, but I do remember that everyone could add things to the STEM world, and everyone could perceive the things within it differently.

Thanks! And thank you for the Shade text. I still can't believe the parallels to Kidman are coincidence. Perhaps Ruvik created her in mockery of Kidman. I forget if the game's lore supports it, but I think she could also be a Ruvik creation perceived as something different by Kidman - or any of the other characters. Prepared to be wrong about that, but I do remember that everyone could add things to the STEM world, and everyone could perceive the things within it differently.

While it's true that everyone does perceive things in STEM differently, there's currently no confirmation that the monsters themselves change that drastically. The biggest discrepancy between Seb and Kidman as far as monsters go is that Kidman's Haunted glowed weird neon colors.

I feel like one of the more interesting dynamics at play in TEW was the corruption of a pure mind by an impure one, as was the case when Leslie's mind was (presumably) melded with Ruvik's at the end of the game.

Knowing that, I wonder if we'll see Sebastian's daughter's mind melded with that of another malevolent force? Or if this has already happened and it's why the few manifestations of her we've seen have been so unsavory.

Of course, I fully expect to understand nothing by the end of this.

Enzo88

Sorry i was not keeping up with this game, is this another case of bethesda not giving the game to the press before release? I don`t see any reviews showing up.

Zeneric

Sorry i was not keeping up with this game, is this another case of bethesda not giving the game to the press before release? I don`t see any reviews showing up.

Yes. It's a policy Bethesda made. All of their games won't be given to press before release.

kc44135

I feel like one of the more interesting dynamics at play in TEW was the corruption of a pure mind by an impure one, as was the case when Leslie's mind was (presumably) melded with Ruvik's at the end of the game.

Knowing that, I wonder if we'll see Sebastian's daughter's mind melded with that of another malevolent force? Or if this has already happened and it's why the few manifestations of her we've seen have been so unsavory.

Of course, I fully expect to understand nothing by the end of this.
Don't worry, there will surely be a Model Viewer to explain everything in text while you stare at cool action figures!
Also says "xbox one x enhanced" on xbox page

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/evil-within-2
:D

TitusTroy

It's an option that you can turn on in the menus, but it's off by default.

I'm surprised they left it in again (even as an option)...seems like a lot of people weren't happy with it last time...hopefully it's optimized better for widescreen this time around

kodecraft

So who's going to play through TEW2 at the Mikami-recommended difficulty of casual?

And letterbox playthroughs? I want that 'cinematic' feel with this. I may go letterbox my first play through if that's an option right out of the box.

Wide FOV, 60fps, and letterboxed.

Gasian

so I'm assuming no letterbox this time?...I'm a little disappointed in the Battlefront 2 beta so I might pick this one up instead

EDIT: Beaten. Definitely looking forward to it without that this time :)

So who's going to play through TEW2 at the Mikami-recommended difficulty of casual?

And letterbox playthroughs? I want that 'cinematic' feel with this. I may go letterbox my first play through if that's an option right out of the box.

Probably gonna play with that off as I replayed TEW with it off and enjoyed it a whole lot more on PC. I like the style for sure, but when it came to playing the game it got in the way for me. Also I always play on the the normal difficulty for these type of games. So Survival for me

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Watching a stream. Game still has delayed texture loads like the first one during cutscenes. At least on XB1.

Glancing a bit at the Xbox One version, the game looks like its performance is a LOT better than the original, it's been pretty smooth from all I've seen. But on Xbox One there still is some half-second texture loading when switching scenes, but otherwise than that seems pretty improved so far.

Top Bottom