• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

You know, we gotta start getting to work on the OT!

Who will take up the mantle for that one?

We need a really good subtitle for the thread too.

I'm trying to come up with something witty and clever. Trying to think of something that takes a swipe at RE6, while still related to this game.

_Nemesis has the thread. Also I think most people want the subtitle "where'd everyone go...Tango?"

Does this mean Sessler's got something new going on? Is he just gonna release this interviews independently?

Adam still exists after Rev3Games?
I thought he had quitted game journalism. Where can I find his current work?

He joined a company, still hush on what he does there I think, but tweeted saying people were asking him if he'd ever go in front of the camera again, to which he said yes, he'd been in talks with Bethesda and has done a series of interviews about Evil Within. On Twitter says it's not his priority but he hasn't deprecated himself completely from games or anything, and it all sounds like some independent thing.

I can say something TEW related was the last thing I expected when he started mentioning this in a series of tweets. But maybe shouldn't surprise me, I recall him gushing about RE4 in the past.

Adam Sessler is President of TheoryHead Inc., a game consultant company.

He is no longer doing commentary, reviews, or analysis. Time consuming and terrible feedback noise from the audience.

However, he was recently on NPR to speak about Destiny, and there's this that suggest that he will indeed be still doing some independent work. However, he will be relying on others to drive that discussion, and act more as a moderator or platform for the content to form around. Really glad to see him find a different avenue and hope it suits him far better than his previous work.
That's good.

Still would prefer something that would slam RE6 thougth.

To me, this is the REAL RE4 sequel that Capcom never gave us.

_Nemesis does not want to launch the OP as another avenue to encourage/drive Resident Evil fan base shit slinging. I didn't care much for RE6 as a RE game and not much as a game either outside of the combat system, but I agree with _Nemesis on that.

Famitsu scans (last week issue) are out. Actually they have been for a few days, but I've only noticed them now. Some pics are new, some are old.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You know, we gotta start getting to work on the OT!

Who will take up the mantle for that one?

We need a really good subtitle for the thread too.

I'm trying to come up with something witty and clever. Trying to think of something that takes a swipe at RE6, while still related to this game.

Pull out the dictionary and the thesaurus.

-MD-

Adam Sessler announced on Twitter he's had several interviews about The Evil Within with Shinji Mikami and other members of Tango Gameworks, first batch goes up tomorrow, claims they have been some of his favorite interviews ever.

Sessler has been pretty terrible the last few years but I'll check out the interview.

Somnia

f3hrOea.png

65psW6g.png

EDIT: Gave it a try, dunno what i'm doin.

Thanks sir, that'll work. Can't switch it over till I get home from work though.

AsfaeksBR

You didn't watch the voice acting video?

And there's also this:

We're happy to the voice cast for #TheEvilWithin! Lending his voice as the main protagonist, Sebastian Castellanos is @ansonmount (known for his popular role as Cullen Bohannon on AMC's 'Hell On Wheels'). As Detective Juli Kidman we have @jenniferthecarpenter (Officer Morgan on TV's 'Dexter'). For the game's more sinister role, Academy Award nominee #JackieEarleHaley is Ruvik. Get the full press release on bethblog.com to find out more about this terrific cast!

antitrop

I'm down with Twitter and shit, but I'm starting to get really sick of seeing an @ and a # in front of everything these days.

Ugh, old man yelling at cloud and I'm not even 30, yet.

I'm down with Twitter and shit, but I'm starting to get really sick of seeing an @ and a # in front of everything these days.

@Net_Wrecker: @antitrop sounding real #SaltyAndOld right now. Someone get him his #HeartMedication before he starts #YellingAtClouds #YoloSwag #2Legit2Quit RT RT RT @NeoGAF @TheEvilWithin @ShinjiMikami

AsfaeksBR

It's because it's from their Instagram.
Tagging the actors and the game makes it easier to find it in the future with a quick search!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
@Net_Wrecker: @antitrop sounding real #SaltyAndOld right now. Someone get him his #HeartMedication before he starts #YellingAtClouds #YoloSwag #2Legit2Quit RT RT RT @NeoGAF @TheEvilWithin @ShinjiMikami

It's a digital calling card. Everyone has a way to get notified now a days. I like knowing developers and publishers are communicating with their fan base, but there's also that lack of security we all thought was majestic way back when. Someone might be reading this right now who sits up somewhere someplace I'll never be.

vg260

It has been asked before but no worries. Dusk got to play the PS4 build and Xbox One build and he saw some noticiable improvements on the Xbox One build meaning it seemed more optomized and most likely a more current build versus the PS4 version on hand.

The admin at Bethesdas forum stated that the game is running great at 30FPS. So it seems that things have gotten better and better. We won't know officially to digital foundry and users get their hands on it but all signs are pointing to it being rather smooth, and also the game hasn't gone gold yet so they are def busting their asses till the final hours to finish optimization.

What exactly is this game doing technically that hitting 30 fps is an issue at this stage?

AsfaeksBR

What exactly is this game doing technically that hitting 30 fps is an issue at this stage?

I bet it's Really-Mega-Textures.
IdTech 5 was, until this point, locked on 60fps in all platforms, and offered a thing called MegaTextures to make the grame prettier.
Tango decided to lock the engine at 30fps, so the only explanation is that they want to make a prettier shadow/lightning effect, or using better quality MegaTextures.

antitrop

IdTech 5 was, until this point, locked on 60fps in all platforms, and offered a thing called MegaTextures to make the grame prettier.
Tango decided to lock the engine at 30fps, so the only explanation is that they want to make a prettier shadow/lightning effect, or using better quality MegaTextures.

The point of a megatexture is not necessarily that is of a higher quality, but rather that it is one massive texture wrapping over everything, so it allows for everything to be unique. No need for repeating textures to save memory. Also allows for easy porting.

In the Wolfenstein dev commentary that just came out, the guy explained how the megatextures allowed them to better show off the destruction of the bridge in that level.

You're right, though, it's mostly to do with lighting and shadows, I'm sure. Dat atmosphere.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Woah i watched the x play review of RE4 and it's spoilerific as fuck, they show a lot of the best bits of the game in the review.

That is (was) X-Play. They even did that spoiler segment once. I do remember I bought a couple games after watching their reviews. They always added humor to the mix. I wonder what they'd give TEW.

That is (was) X-Play. They even did that spoiler segment once. I do remember I bought a couple games after watching their reviews. They always added humor to the mix. I wonder what they'd give TEW.

Well maybe we will at least know Sessler's opinion on it, it seems like he is doing some videos with bethesda about the evil within, according to his twitter

vg260

Being in development.

Sure, but specifically, this game being sub-30 in previews seems to have been more of a talking point than most other recent games, so I was wondering what was different about its development.

Ok.

I wonder if Sebastian has to load all the bullets in the chamber, or if it's a canned animation like RE4 where Leon loads 2 shells into his shotgun and then he magically has 20 shells loaded.

I can see the merit of both methods honestly.

Awesome thread, thanks OP.

I want this game to be great and hopefully successful enough to launch a new series. But Ive got the feeling this might end up loved by enthusiasts and misunderstood/avoided by the general gaming public. I hope it does way better than that. Ill be pre-ordering for sure and looking forward to early reviews.

Xpliskin

I wonder if Sebastian has to load all the bullets in the chamber, or if it's a canned animation like RE4 where Leon loads 2 shells into his shotgun and then he magically has 20 shells loaded.

I can see the merit of both methods honestly.

About that .

Well, I had the same remarks, a designer I used to work with told me:
"It's not about accuracy, it's about representation"

In a story the hero survives, the player finding items/healths and getting hit are his own faults.
It doesn't make sense finding ammo in boxes and other unlikely places, they are just there for the player's enjoyment/mistakes and have no impact on the story.

The same way those items are placed, the same way the inacurrate reloading animations are there just to indicate "hero is reloading".

It's a very meta type of thinking, I hope it makes sense.

antitrop

About that .

Well, I had the same remarks, a designer I used to work with told me:
"It's not about accuracy, it's about representation"

In a story the hero survives, the player finding items/healths and getting hit are his own faults.
It doesn't make sense finding ammo in boxes and other unlikely places, they are just there for the player's enjoyment/mistakes and have no impact on the story.

The same way those items are placed, the same way the inacurrate reloading animations are there just to indicate "hero is reloading".

It's a very meta type of thinking, I hope it makes sense.
In the recent developer commentary of Wolfenstein, the dev states that one of the key tenets of MachineGames is to make the collectables and pickups (even the secrets) feel like they belong in the world.

The example the dev used in the commentary was "This room needs Shotgun ammo for the balance pass, but it doesn't realistically make sense for shotgun ammo to be here, how do we make this work?".

Another was a secret enigma code located in a briefcase attached to a dead Nazi officer's arm that is stuck underneath a train. You have to use the LKG to break the chain attaching the briefcase to the officer's arm and then steal the secret. It fits the story.

That's why MachineGames > * and Wolfenstein is current GOTY

Made a new thread on this, but the gang all here needs to be sure to see it.

First up we have a intro from Adam Sessler discussing a little about the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbjMx_ccKtI

Next up we have the Art behind TEW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zhemd9hinM

Last he presents a inside look at the man behind the madness, Shinji Mikami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3r7WUE4kw#t=300

Lots of great stuff in here and some new footage as well.

In the recent developer commentary of Wolfenstein, the dev states that one of the key tenets of MachineGames is to make the collectables and pickups (even the secrets) feel like they belong in the world.

The example the dev used in the commentary was "This room needs Shotgun ammo for the balance pass, but it doesn't realistically make sense for shotgun ammo to be here, how do we make this work?".

Another was a secret enigma code located in a briefcase attached to a dead Nazi officer's arm that is stuck underneath a train. You have to use the LKG to break the chain attaching the briefcase to the officer's arm and then steal the secret. It fits the story.

That's why MachineGames > * and Wolfenstein is current GOTY

While Wolfie will probably end up on the lower end of my top 10 this year, I certainly appreciated things like this, and the thought the developer put into to making it a believable universe.

Top Bottom