• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

I Just found out that Zenimax will be attending a panel / meeting at my local comic book shop, so I'm gonna try to get an interview/camera time with them. Anyone got any questions / concerns to pass onto them?

Getting into the spirit with some Fatal Frame 3 and 4 in the lead-up. Thought about maybe squeezing Alien in there before TEW, but I think I will wait until afterward.

Hard to believe it's almost just a week now!

I Just found out that Zenimax will be attending a panel / meeting at my local comic book shop, so I'm gonna try to get an interview/camera time with them. Anyone got any questions / concerns to pass onto them?

Ask if there are any extra game-modes beside campaign ? Some sort of challenge or survival arena (like in RE4) ?
And try to get some info on New game+ Are there special unlockable weapons, outfits, modes...

thanks

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Ask them if they received a lot of information regarding development and design choices. If they received a playable version before the press did.

Tell 'em Northeastmonk sent ya :p

Grief.exe

And Anti Aliasing Options^^

There is generally always an AA solution included with the game, Shadow of Mordor being a recent exception. Even on the outside chance they are not included, then you can always downsample or force through drivers.

If animations key into 30 FPS, then we are stuck at that framerate.

Xpliskin

There's a new trailer out.
In b4 GIFs.

Someone make a thread so this one stays clean.

Some screenshots are out too:
BzRY486CcAIKxZc.jpg:large

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know what is going to be the most painful? If after the anticipation and waiting...
That it's just another Shadow's of the Damned type game in quality. It may have its moments, but it will easily be forgotten in terms of gameplay but not disappointment.

I like Shadows of the Damned, I have a strange attachment to the game, but I'm always surprised how well it did with critics. The gameplay fees like a poor-man's RE4, there are some problems with it (some repetitive combat encounters in places, the roll dodge is horribly broken, the boss encounters I find to be underwhelming after the first two bosses really, controls aren't really as stern as they should be, some sections are rather ehhhh...), the main reason I enjoyed it has more to do that I really liked its music, its style, and enjoyed the characters and pseudo-symbolism going on and undertoned story about masculinity and its effects. An interesting take on hell, and again, I have a strange attachment to the game, but I seemed to have found it more flawed than most critics (I'm just a bit more forgiving of flaws for my personal opinion, but focus on them more when talking an overall opinion on a game).

I can't tell you how the whole game of TEW will compare to SotD, but I can tell you this game controls much more fluidly and has much more gameplay depth than SotD, and the area in the demo felt more thought out and better designed than any area in SotD.

I haven't been anticipating a game this much since I don't know when. It's almost here :D

This game feels like a culmination of all Mikami's survival horror ideas in one package. It has the potential to be his most complete game yet.

I'm in the same boat. The last game I was anticipating this much was Resident Evil 5, which while in the end I did enjoy as a co-op game, obviously didn't live up to my hype. My hype for TEW actually rose a lot more because I played it for a couple hours, so it's a bit different of a position for me. The one thing I advise is take some time to get used to the game and its mechanics. I wasn't exactly 'into' the game when I first started playing, it took about 15-20 minutes for it all to start sinking in and myself to really start enjoying it and come to terms with what sort of game it was.

At this point everything is just a time waster until TEW hits. I'm playing Shadow of Mordor atm and it just feels like going through the motions until TEW.

Basically how I feel, I've been mainly playing new indie horror game releases and RPG Maker Horror Games. However, been a good distraction, as I've actually lucked out and most games have been pretty good. Neverending Nightmares was a bit of a disappointment, but was fortunate I actually liked Vanishing of Ethan Carter (not amazing, but it was pretty good, recommend it for those who like exploration in games), and Silence of the Sleep may be my biggest surprise this year, it's a REALLY good indie horror game. And experienced some RPG Maker games, like Bury and OneShot, I actually really liked. Rare when I play these games, as I've played terrible games, great games, and everything in-between when I play RPG Maker games, so to play two RPG Maker games I really enjoyed one right after the other is a good coincidence.

I really can't stand most "open world" games. Played enough of them from 99 - 2010 with EQ and WoW that I don't need them in my single player experiences. Also got extremely bored with the first Dead Rising after killing the 700th zombie with a lawnmower and I never bothered playing the second. The third seems to have a ton of technical issues on PC too, so I'm not going to bother until those get ironed out, if ever.

Sandbox games I usually dislike. I don't mind open-world. The flaw to these games is that the sandbox element often makes the areas themselves less interesting, enemies less... Interesting to conflict with, by design sort of, and usually suffer from repetition in what to actually do. I'd prefer open-world games which have some variety in tasks and enjoyment.

The weirdest open-world game I have ever played was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, which I'm strangely fond of, and it mostly has to do with the fact how weird the game is, and how it's open world but there's a ton of unique things you can do in each area of the world.

Top Bottom