• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Even though the score won't be that low. Some people might actually penalize the game for being pretty hard. When I played the demo, the game pushed my shit in quite a bit. However the random enemy placement might help.

There's always a percent that cannot justify a hard game or a game they can't control perfectly. It just so happens we hear more about it on the internet or you're friends with that one person.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Resident Evil 4 blew people away at E3 2004, though. It won tons of Game of the Show awards. Nintendo featured it prominently in their press conference (the same one where Twilight Princess was revealed). The Evil Within isn't quite the same situation.

iZMHp4iKcSDXw.gif

Even though the score won't be that low. Some people might actually penalize the game for being pretty hard. When I played the demo, the game pushed my shit in quite a bit. However the random enemy placement might help.

You gotta remember that the demo is from chapter 9. By then you'll have gotten used to how the game works and even upgraded a few weapons/stats making the difficulty a lot more manageable. If reviewers complain that the game is too hard (I doubt they will) I won't even care. I'm expecting mostly 8's and 9's with a few 7's when it comes to the reviews. Overall I think it'll do well with the critics.

You gotta remember that the demo is from chapter 9. By then you'll have gotten used to how the game works and even upgraded a few weapons/stats making the difficulty a lot more manageable. If reviewers complain that the game is too hard (I doubt they will) I' won't even care. I'm expecting mostly 8's and 9's with possibly a few 7's when it comes to the reviews. Overall I think it'll do pretty well with the critics.

Were so close now! :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If the load times haven't been massively improved from the demo, being hard will be a huge liability for this game. I like a challenging game, but when the penalty for death is huge wait times, I can get very sour on a game very quickly.

Quick load times mean you can experiment with different tactics and try to play the game how you want to play it without fear of constantly sitting around on a load screen. If the load times remain, then I'm going to feel forced into playing a specific way that minimizes failures, even if it's less fun.

The punishment for dying should simply be that you don't progress. The additional punishment of long load times is completely unnecessary and adds genuine negative feelings to what is supposed to be an entertaining experience. So, in a hard game especially, short loads should be at the top of the designer's priority list. I hope that the shittiness of Idtech5 doesn't prevent any improvement on this front.

I haven't been following any news on this game very well. Was there ever word on a demo? Or is that just not happening/was never a thing?

maneil99

I feel like this game will either be great or shit, no inbetween.

Pre ordering with money I get from Shadow of Mordor next week

Sanctuary

Given Mikami's track record, most likely great.

He's made what, one shit game? P.N.03 as a director, otherwise he's pretty damn consistent.

Two.

God Hand. :)

Also, this interview is just over a year old now, but this is the first time I've read it. It's an okay read, but it comes off as horribly naive. I think Mikami is completely wrong about why the Dead Space franchise took the direction it did, similarly with RE5/6. It had everything to do with trying to sell more units, and the way you do that is to make the game more appealing towards people who are gobbling up the franchises that are selling the most units.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09...me-out-of-the-commercial-failure-of-re-remake

Reading this article makes the Sessler interview even more underwhelming, because he's practically rehashing the same lines.

Im gonna switch my Alien Isolation preorder over to this.

Can't believe I still haven't preordered this after how hyped I've been,

Just been too busy.

Sanctuary

The wait is so painful! : (

You know what is going to be the most painful? If after the anticipation and waiting...
That it's just another Shadow's of the Damned type game in quality. It may have its moments, but it will easily be forgotten in terms of gameplay but not disappointment.

I haven't been anticipating a game this much since I don't know when. It's almost here :D

This game feels like a culmination of all Mikami's survival horror ideas in one package. It has the potential to be his most complete game yet.

-MD-

You know what is going to be the most painful? If after the anticipation and waiting...
That it's just another Shadow's of the Damned type game in quality. It may have its moments, but it will easily be forgotten in terms of gameplay but not disappointment.

I'd be able to tell from footage if it was as mediocre as SotD, I'm not too worried about that.

Scary thought though.

Sanctuary

I've felt like replaying the first Dead Space lately, but then I think that doing so would just dampen the impact of TEW come the 14th. No idea what game I want to waste time on until then. Still have Wasteland 2 half finished, Baldur's Gate 2 half finished, the Batman trilogy to replay...

I've felt like replaying the first Dead Space lately, but then I think that doing so would just dampen the impact of TEW come the 14th. No idea what game I want to waste time on until then. Still have Wasteland 2 half finished, Baldur's Gate 2 half finished, the Batman trilogy to replay...

At this point everything is just a time waster until TEW hits. I'm playing Shadow of Mordor atm and it just feels like going through the motions until TEW.

Sanctuary

At this point everything is just a time waster until TEW hits. I'm playing Shadow of Mordor atm and it just feels like going through the motions until TEW.

Already finished it days ago. :( Started replaying Arkham Asylum last night since I got it for $5 on Steam (already beat it twice on the 360), and boy does it look so much better even with the ass console textures. It's just that the Batman combat in SoM is sooooo much more satisfying that the actual Batman combat feels so vanilla now.

-MD-

I've barely been playing anything lately to build up a desire to play a lot when the 14th rolls around.

Bl@de

I'm going with Dead Rising 3. Didn't take notice of it at first but got it at 27.-€ and damn it's a blast (never played a similar title). So much open world fun without climbing towers and all that nonsense. Feels like a 90s game with modern graphics.

Sanctuary

I'm going with Dead Rising 3. Didn't take notice of it at first but got it at 27.-€ and damn it's a blast (never played a similar title). So much open world fun without climbing towers and all that nonsense. Feels like a 90s game with modern graphics.

I really can't stand most "open world" games. Played enough of them from 99 - 2010 with EQ and WoW that I don't need them in my single player experiences. Also got extremely bored with the first Dead Rising after killing the 700th zombie with a lawnmower and I never bothered playing the second. The third seems to have a ton of technical issues on PC too, so I'm not going to bother until those get ironed out, if ever.

Bl@de

I really can't stand most "open world" games. Played enough of them from 99 - 2010 with EQ and WoW that I don't need them in my single player experiences. Also got extremely bored with the first Dead Rising after killing the 700th zombie with a lawnmower and I never bothered playing the second. The third seems to have a ton of technical issues on PC too, so I'm not going to bother until those get ironed out, if ever.

Yeah maybe I like it so much because I never played a title like that^^ Concerning issues ... don't have any. Runs at high (most of them maxed) details on 1080p with 45-60fps except on rare drops to 35fps. Yeah that's bad but well, I can live with it this one time. 1620p runs at measly 15fps =/ Game never crashed, has no graphic errors and plays very smoothly.

It seems like I never run into all those issues people keep moaning about ... I wonder why ...

Just read something about the development of RE4 and one thing really sounds familiar

"First shown at E3 in 2003, this version was set in a mansion and featured Leon fighting what appeared to be paranormal enemies, [...]. Still infected with a virus as in "Castle", the screen would adopt a blue filter once the paranormal entities appeared as part of hallucinations."

Sounds like Mikami never gave up on that idea after all.

Top Bottom