• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Grief.exe

We're so close! Might play some RE4 to remind myself of Mikami goodness!

I'm saving up my RE4 Pro run for the HD texture pack release. They are doing a phenomenal job with that mod.

204D.jpg

092401.jpg

208B.jpg

ReaperXL7

Alien Isolation vs Evil within....I won't be able to get both right away so it's going to be a rough choice. It's rare I bother with reviews but I may have to hold out on picking up either until I see impressions for both once released.

Great time to be a horror game fan though.

Ooccoo

Alien Isolation vs Evil within....I won't be able to get both right away so it's going to be a rough choice. It's rare I bother with reviews but I may have to hold out on picking up either until I see impressions for both once released.

Alien Isolation sucks after the first few chapters, so easy choice

Nuke Soda

The Jim Sterling Alien review has me convinced I made the wrong choice on going with The Evil Within.

FYI, $10 gift card at Best Buy for preordering Evil Within. not sure if it will apply to non-preorders once the game is released or not.

-MD-

I own both games but I wouldn't even have to think about what game I'd go with if I had to choose, reviews for Alien say it wears thin about halfway through it's 15+ hour campaign and I totally believe that, I was ready for Outlast to end and that game was like 5-6 hours long.

The Evil Within looks like it has better replayability and gameplay variety.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope both games are successful so publishers can see that there can be a AAA game in the horror genre for this generation.

hemo memo

Gold Member

One is from the master of survival horror the other is just a good horror game. Easy choice.

Given Mikami's track record and the Alien franchise's record, I'd go with The Evil Within.

However, it doesn't seem either will be the "wrong" choice so far.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

One of them is made by the Father of Survival Horror while the other is a hide-and-seek simulator. It really is an easy choice.

-MD-

I have a little extra money this year so i will be going for both games. I might not play Alien until Halloween though.

Same, now that AMD is saying we won't be getting our codes until after it releases Alien is going on the backburner until I've played through TEW a couple times.

Lucent

I think they usually ship preorders one day before release date. If I'm lucky I'll probably receive it by the end of the week.

I'm not gonna spend that much money on a digital title :p

It's not a digital only title though. =P

Unless you're saying it's not worth the risk of getting burned and being stuck with it, then I understand. But I have a lot of faith in Mikami. I can always buy physical if it's amazing and when it's real cheap. =)

Bl@de

So when the game comes out and gets reviewed what do you guys think the IGN cons for the game will be?
-Difficult
-Unpredictable enemies
-Punishing healing system.
-Not enough bullets

3/10

Verdict:

The bottom line is that The Evil Within quickly becomes a boring, annoying and frustrating game. Why should you be forced to try and complete a section with no starting health when you have no hope of survival and will just need to reload a minute later? What's fun in fighting the same annoying demon creatures over and over again when the fight was old the second time you tried it? Why, oh why, did Bethesda put so much money into such a risky joke, and why did no one see that the joke didn't have a real punch line at any point in the development?

3/10

Verdict:

The bottom line is that The Evil Within quickly becomes a boring, annoying and frustrating game. Why should you be forced to try and complete a section with no starting health when you have no hope of survival and will just need to reload a minute later? What's fun in fighting the same annoying demon creatures over and over again when the fight was old the second time you tried it? Why, oh why, did Bethesda put so much money into such a risky joke, and why did no one see that the joke didn't have a real punch line at any point in the development?

God Hand all over?

It's not a digital only title though. =P

Unless you're saying it's not worth the risk of getting burned and being stuck with it, then I understand. But I have a lot of faith in Mikami. I can always buy physical if it's amazing and when it's real cheap. =)
Nope, what I mean to say is that I don't want to pay full price for a digital version of the game. Any game, not just this one. That's why I'm getting the physical edition on Amazon.

That aside, I too have a lot of faith in Mikami and I can't wait to play the game :p

Bl@de

God Hand all over?

Gaf detective is fast detective. Nah I am one of the few people who thinks (secretly hopes?) that it will land at a Metacritic of somewhere between 8.5 and 9.0 ... People (well in the magazines I had^^) were sceptical of re4 too (I sure was), no zombies, new style ... But we know how that story ended.

kodecraft

So when the game comes out and gets reviewed what do you guys think the IGN cons for the game will be?
-Difficult
-Unpredictable enemies
-Punishing healing system.
-Not enough bullets

3/10

Verdict:

To be fair, if these posts are to joke about what IGN gave Alien Isolation, the reviewer had some concerning points, that I take note of as a gamer.

Mikami games are a no-brainer to me though, its day one.

kodecraft

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! We finally have some footage (the usual mansion footage) of the final build of the game! Click.

Be warned that the commentary is awful, and the guy is the French version of PewDiePie, but it's still worth watching!

* He's playing the PS4 version.
* New female screams have been added when burning female enemies.
* You can see the grenade in action for the first time.
* The camera goes into a FPS view every time you aim.
* Essential items (the two dials) now glow. It's very similar to the glow when you pick up dropped items in RE4.
* Enemies can bust open doors naturally (it's not always scripted).
* Enemies now throw weapons like in RE4.
* Ammo is still scarce - like really scarce!
* The framerate looks rock solid.
* I noticed a weird glitch where the tree branch shadows kept on spazzing out.

Overall the main thing I took away from watching this is just how polished the game looks now. It's come so damn far!

Thanks so much for this Tricky!!

antitrop

Gaf detective is fast detective. Nah I am one of the few people who thinks (secretly hopes?) that it will land at a Metacritic of somewhere between 8.5 and 9.0 ... People (well in the magazines I had^^) were sceptical of re4 too (I sure was), no zombies, new style ... But we know how that story ended.

Resident Evil 4 blew people away at E3 2004, though. It won tons of Game of the Show awards. Nintendo featured it prominently in their press conference (the same one where Twilight Princess was revealed). The Evil Within isn't quite the same situation.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
3/10

Verdict:

80% of their actual user base are in the comments section waiting to rip the game apart like it was E.T.'s 3rd person sequel. I think they can't like it because they aren't looking for specific perspectives, but just one random journalist and a host of complaints he found while playing some Sunday night in his house.

One guy sitting at the desks of IGN right now would probably score it higher than the actual guy whose going to do the review. One journalist isn't the Jesus Christ of all reviewers.

They need to copy Famitsu's style for reviews.

Sanctuary

I hate to say this, but why is it that all the people that are ANNOYING AS ALL HELL getting to preview this yet folks like Dusk_Golem and myself... you know.... people that wouldn't be screaming ape shit, or throwing in a "talk dirty to me" song over footage, folks who have a passion for the survival horror genre, who would showcase the game properly, are having to sit here on the side lines and watch how horrible presented TEW is getting by some of the people. It's really unfortunate, but I already know the reason....subscriber count. :/

Because noteriety gets you hits too. The more of a douchebag you are, the more word will spread. Look up Darksyde Phil (usually most just spell it as Dark Side though). He was one of the biggest trolls in the fighting game community, and got thousands of hits because of it.

I'm saving up my RE4 Pro run for the HD texture pack release. They are doing a phenomenal job with that mod.

What is this, some form of witchery?

I own both games but I wouldn't even have to think about what game I'd go with if I had to choose, reviews for Alien say it wears thin about halfway through it's 15+ hour campaign and I totally believe that, I was ready for Outlast to end and that game was like 5-6 hours long.

The Evil Within looks like it has better replayability and gameplay variety.

I typically pay closer attention to the negative reviews unless they are from the usual suspects like Polygon (who seem to do it just to "stand out" and for hits) and Destructoid. If IGN and Gamespot, the two that had been known for giving underserved piles of praise on pretty much all AAA games for a few years are giving shit scores, something is up. I watched the Gamespot video, because I actually usually believe what Kevin VanOrd is trying to sell, and his review on Isolation was pretty earnest.

Ateron

This guy not only is annoying as shit, he plays like shit too. Makes everything seem clumsy and janky. Not only he doesn't seem to grasp the main mechanics of the game, like trying to lure enemies to traps, or incinerate their bodies so that he doesn't have to kill them twice, he doesn't even pay attention to his stamina meter which got him screwed a lot of times. Ignoring items along the way and trying to play this game like RE4.

I fear that will be this game's achilles heel, reviews wise. Some will review it with RE4 combat focus in mind and the game will suffer for it. How does a guy like this get to play the game early, at home? Just cause he has a lot of views? Videos like this make the game seem worse and janky, imo. It's like someone playing dmc and abusing the stinger over and over and over. Reminds me of that video where someone was playing I:SS and they did nothing more other than spam the cinder blast.

This guy is just running like a headless chicken, bumping into enemies left and right and hoping for the best. And he's speaking spanish, not french. I think he's from Argentina (not that it matters but he ain't french).

Although watching this makes me worry about Ruvik. He doesn't seem that menacing. I thought the player had to successfully evade him and hide in order for him to "give up", but all you have to do is play Ring-Around-the-Rosy around the table and he will disappear. Either that or just acquire his location and run the other way, guy teleports you run the opposite way until he leaves. Might be more to it than this, but so far he doesn't seem to be as insistent as Nemesis was, for example.

Loved when the game trolled him when he was pondering whether or not to use the full health med kit, and as soon as he did, bam, Enemy walks in ready to wreck his shit.

This game will be awesome.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Because noteriety gets you hits too. The more of a douchebag you are, the more word will spread. Look up Darksyde Phil (usually most just spell it as Dark Side though). He was one of the biggest trolls in the fighting game community, and got thousands of hits because of it.

What is this, some form of witchery?

I was wondering the same thing. Like why add squeaky outgoing people to get others interested? Can't we just have another serious survival horror game without adding racket?

I don't need to see a guy turn it into one of those WoW or MMO streams where the music is all techno or rock while he talks on the mic about other people and life. A bad personality is just as bad.

Tobuscus is a cool guy, but he doesn't seem like the guy to lead you off to a survival horror game. A game where you want to take it seriously, like RE2 or RE4. It's like throwing chalk in your face. I don't want to be dodging cafeteria tables in order to enjoy this game.

I want some old school Japanese Silent Hill type of commercials. Give me something that doesn't scream "live actor". Make it "live player".

Check this out

I've got so much crust in my eye after seeing the last couple Live Action trailers they've done here. lol seriously

Sanctuary

I dont think anyone knows mate.

I think it will be midnight of the release.

This is actually one of the first games in a very long time where I'll be going on a review blackout until after I've finished the game. It's how I used to play a lot of games in the past anyway before the internet was populated with the information like it is today. That's also how I came to trust specific sites or magazines over others, even if I still mostly go by the average score (critic, not user and almost never Metacritic) across all reviews for games I'm unsure of.

Sanctuary

Does this game have exploding barrels? That's all I need to know

Dunno, but this game does for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfc0Lg4hqQQ

Same + Sunset Overdrive and Alien. This month's going to be awesome for scary games.

Also gotta pick up a classic Castlevania on the eShop, most likely IV because IV is the best besides Rondo of Blood.

IV is the best becaue it's IV. I mean, those mode 7 effects...amaaaaaazing.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! We finally have some footage (the usual mansion footage) of the final build of the game! Click.

Be warned that the commentary is awful, and the guy is the French version of PewDiePie, but it's still worth watching!

* He's playing the PS4 version.
* New female screams have been added when burning female enemies.
* You can see the grenade in action for the first time.
* The camera goes into a FPS view every time you aim.
* Essential items (the two dials) now glow. It's very similar to the glow when you pick up dropped items in RE4.
* Enemies can bust open doors naturally (it's not always scripted).
* Enemies now throw weapons like in RE4.
* Ammo is still scarce - like really scarce!
* The framerate looks rock solid.
* I noticed a weird glitch where the tree branch shadows kept on spazzing out.

Overall the main thing I took away from watching this is just how polished the game looks now. It's come so damn far!

What?? The dude is speaking Spanish o_O

I guess that footage I posted might not be the final build of the game. It might be the TGS version. That comment on YouTube was probably BS.

Hopefully that means that they fix up that weird enemy that magically went through the cloth (unless it's like that on purpose for some reason!?!)

I think what Tricky meant is that the camera is being smoothly placed almost next to the weapon instead FPS, since this here isn't FPS:

pTDLINl.png

It's basically a little bit more zoomed in than what we are used to from many TPS games.

That's exactly what I meant. To me that looks like a FPS view so that's what I called it. It's the easiest way of explaining how the aiming works....

What?? The dude is speaking Spanish o_O

You're the millionth person to bring that up.

vilmer_

I'd rather hook up some testicular electrodes and splash around in a bathtub while blasting a radio on one shoulder and blowdrying my pubes. Blindfolded. Than listen/watch one of this guys videos ever again. Actually make that any of these youtube "celebrities".

Looking forward to the game. In the meantime I'll be playing Silent Hill 2.

sjay1994

3/10

Verdict:

Even though the score won't be that low. Some people might actually penalize the game for being pretty hard. When I played the demo, the game pushed my shit in quite a bit. However the random enemy placement might help.

sjay1994

Is it wrong I am kinda hoping for a randomnegative impression early on so the thread becomes the hilarity that was the wolfenstein new order OT pre release?

Top Bottom