• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

JoeFenix

I'm surprised with the performance from this footage considering the engine, but yeah - outdoor environments might cause some slow texture loading.

EDIT: The lighting is pretty impressive. The game has some pretty great shadows. Hopefully that shadow glitch is a rare occurrence and not common.

We don't know that this is from the final version, I really hope it isn't because the performance still isn't looking too hot. Definitely not locked 30fps judging from that footage.

It's most likely the TGS demo build.

We don't know that this is from the final version, I really hope it isn't because the performance still isn't looking too hot. Definitely not locked 30fps judging from that footage.

It's most likely the TGS demo build.

I'm happy (even a little surprised) with the performance. I just wish that enemy didn't clip right through that bit of cloth at the start.

And someone said in the comments section that the guy playing it said it was the final build of the game....if it indeed is I'm good.

Bl@de

I'm happy (even a little surprised) with the performance. I just wish that enemy didn't clip right through that bit of cloth at the start.

Yep the cloth thing would be my only major "glitch". Flickering shadows are just too common in games to rustle my jimmies. I'm playing Dead Rising 3 on PC right now and the shadows look like fuck on max settings...

Other than that ... I love what I see. I will just imagine 60fps PC footage until release^^

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! We finally have some footage (the usual mansion footage) of the final build of the game! Click.

Be warned that the commentary is awful, and the guy is the French version of PewDiePie, but it's still worth watching!

* He's playing the PS4 version.
* New female screams have been added when burning female enemies.
* You can see the grenade in action for the first time.
* The camera goes into a FPS view every time you aim.
* Essential items (the two dials) now glow. It's very similar to the glow when you pick up dropped items in RE4.
* Enemies can bust open doors naturally (it's not always scripted).
* Enemies now throw weapons like in RE4.
* Ammo is still scarce - like really scarce!
* The framerate looks rock solid.
* I noticed a weird glitch where the tree branch shadows kept on spazzing out.

Overall the main thing I took away from watching this is just how polished the game looks now. It's come so damn far!

Serious question, do you have to act like an idiot to get YouTube hits and get special gameplay privilege by publishers? I find it very difficult to watch a lot of let's play videos because the uploader ruins it completely. I only want to hear the game when I watch or a competent uploader.

Bl@de

Serious question, do you have to act like an idiot to get YouTube hits and get special gameplay privilege by publishers? I find it very difficult to watch a lot of let's play videos because the uploader ruins it completely. I only want to hear the game when I watch or a competent uploader.

There are normal people. I am one of the people who actually doesn't hate Pewwwwwwwds because fabolous and pugs^^ But this guy ... wow I just can't watch it with sound. It's worse than being haunted by Ruvik in real life. Just makes me want to throw up from the first moment I hear his voice

antitrop

This part of the game (in the spanish YT video) is definitely more REmake than RE4.

And despite how easily this game relates to other games, when it's all put together it doesn't seem to play like any other game I've ever actually played. It really looks completely new and fresh.

ironcreed

Banned

And someone said in the comments section that the guy playing it said it was the final build of the game....if it indeed is I'm good.

Yeah, what I watched looks fine to me performance-wise as well. Beyond that, it still looks like a new (and very good) Resident Evil with more shades of horror and a few new tweaks to it.

On which difficulty he played on?
Was it on Easy?, felt like Sebastian could take a lot of hits, otherwise the game looks fantastic. Only 1 week and a half.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Wait, what?

evilwith1.gif.gif4qju0.gif

It's not like this anymore? Or are you just calling that FPS? (don't wanna watch the footage, didn't watch any beyond the first two trailers).

antitrop

Yeah, what I watched looks fine to me performance-wise as well. Beyond that, it still looks like a new (and very good) Resident Evil with more shades of horror and a few new tweaks to it.

Yup. That's really what I hoped it would be from the very beginning. Project Zwei: The spiritual successor to Resident Evil.

NovaCross

Neo Member
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! We finally have some footage (the usual mansion footage) of the final build of the game! Click.

Be warned that the commentary is awful, and the guy is the French version of PewDiePie, but it's still worth watching!

* Essential items (the two dials) now glow. It's very similar to the glow when you pick up dropped items in RE4.

Overall the main thing I took away from watching this is just how polished the game looks now. It's come so damn far!

Game looks amazing but this kid is so terrible and so damn annoying. I wish I could yank the controller from his hands.

Bl@de

C'mon gaf, you hyped me through the roof with this game and in one single post you've managed to kill my pre-order.
I did not want a FPS view in this game every single time you aim. so angry right now
tumblr_lrsz9dRD2m1qm1975o1_500-1.gif

1399360616124.jpg

Because It zooms in a lot for the second of a shot you quit on the whole game? Even if it's the best way to shoot things because you have no character model in your way? well okay ... I can't understand that but it's your choice

1399360616124.jpg

Because It zooms in a lot for the second of a shot you quit on the whole game? Even if it's the best way to shoot things because you have no character model in your way? well okay ... I can't understand that but it's your choice

i'm not watching the footage, i've tried to avoid watching anything for a while now.
I'm just going by what they said, and they said it went into a fps view every time you aim.
If people are now telling me it doesn't then great but i'm not sure why they said a fps view every single time, i'll wait for gaffers to play the retail and hopefully someone will have a concrete answer because the early footage clearly had third person view aiming.
I'm not keen on the idea of constantly switching viewpoints so drastically every time i aim my gun, the old footage had the camera zoom in a little but not full on fps view.Can someone else on gaf please explain in more detail what happens now? are you all sure it's every time you aim, not just for some tight spaced rooms?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
C'mon gaf, you hyped me through the roof with this game and in one single post you've managed to kill my pre-order.
I did not want a FPS view in this game every single time you aim. so angry right now

The amount of zoom on aim varies depending on the situation, according to people who have played the demo. What you're seeing and mistaking for 1st person is the highest degree of zoom.

i'm not watching the footage, i've tried to avoid watching anything for a while now.
I'm just going by what they said, and they said it went into a fps view every time you aim.
If people are now telling me it doesn't then great but i'm not sure why they said a fps view every single time, i'll wait for gaffers to play the retail and hopefully someone will have a concrete answer because the early footage clearly had third person view aiming.
Look above you, Tricky clarified what he meant.

Bl@de

Well you need to see it to judge it... there is no other way. In this video it zooms in to a level were you still see his arms and the gun on the side but not the body. but its not aiming down sights or something. It's just a very close FOV shot of a Third Person View.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Yar, there were grenades in the PAX demo at least, I did experiment a bit with them. Item glow can actually be turned on or off in the options. Enemies definitely threw stuff at me on occasion in the PAX demo.

Now then, to see if I notice any changes.

Steez

So am I right in the assumption that there is no last gen footage floating around? Thinking about getting this day 1, but the lack of information surrounding the PS3 version is kinda worrying.

Nibel

I think what Tricky meant is that the camera is being smoothly placed almost next to the weapon instead FPS, since this here isn't FPS:

It's basically a little bit more zoomed in than what we are used to from many TPS games.

Also, a little detail I would like to point out: now that the player character + weapon cover much less of the screen, it is now actually possible to get a better overview of enemies who are coming from the left side.

There were many situations in RE4 where I was surprised by an enemy that I couldn't see because of Leon, and this might be a little solution to that without becoming an FPS. It might lower the chance of surprise attacks as in RE4, but might offer better playability.

Meh. That video footage is like 15FPS. And the graphics look like previous gen. Good shadows but nothing we haven't seen before.

I'll wait for reviews before popping down any more money this Fall.

The amount of zoom on aim varies depending on the situation, according to people who have played the demo. What you're seeing and mistaking for 1st person is the highest degree of zoom.

Thanks, i really hope it still varies depending on situation. saying fps view every single time got me very worried.

I think what Tricky meant is that the camera is being smoothly placed almost next to the weapon instead FPS, since this here isn't FPS:
It's basically a little bit more zoomed in than what we are used to from many TPS games.

This helps, thankyou for the screenshot, that is not a fps view, it's more zoomed in than i'd prefer but i'm hoping it's due to what looks like a tight indoor space.

I went from panic and heartbroken to relieved but still a little concerned in under 10 minutes, i can't take this anymore i'm hyped too much for this title.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Weird how the female enemy just clipped through the cloth, I played the PAX demo and the cloth definitely reacted to her touching it in the demo. But might have been a glitch, maybe there's another story behind it.

The music is a bit more present than the original demo, in fact I think the may have selected a different song. It works well though so not complaining. The original song was mainly dissonant guitars that occasionally came in.

Not really a change but from playing myself I'm thinking to myself things the player is doing differently he could of benefited from. The axe is usually a one hit kill, if he had grabbed it and waited by the door frame for the enemy with the gun to appear, he could of axed him over the head and taken care of that threat without wasting ammo. But the axe would of been broken after that.

I've actually never seen Sebastian do that spin-kick he does to the enemy on the ground after burning him. But then I never tried to scour enemies for items while they were on fire, only after, which Sebastian goes down and looks for items then.

Its fun to hear the French dub to the English dub and how it differs.

That tree shadow glitch definitely did not happen when I was playing the demo. XD

Didn't look too much different but a few things.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thanks, i really hope it still varies depending on situation. saying fps view every single time got me very worried.

This helps, thankyou for the screenshot, that is not a fps view, it's more zoomed in than i'd prefer but i'm hoping it's due to what looks like a tight indoor space.

I went from panic and heartbroken to relieved but still a little concerned in under 10 minutes, i can't take this anymore i'm hyped too much for this title.

I can't help but prod further given your extremely strong reaction to what I perceive as a minor technical difference...

Let's say it turns out that the game always zooms that far when aiming. What makes that an FPS view and why is that so bothersome? The character is still offset, so it's clearly not the same thing as a floating gun being held by a character at the center of the screen. Is seeing the character's head and shoulders that important? They aren't generally animated in a significant way, and you can't see their face, so what meaningful difference, in your view, is there between the more traditional TPS view and the zoomed-in view we are seeing here?

Weird how the female enemy just clipped through the cloth, I played the PAX demo and the cloth definitely reacted to her touching it in the demo. But might have been a glitch, maybe there's another story behind it.

Seems like it's got to be a glitch. Why would anyone design a scenario in which an enemy is hidden behind a cloth without including cloth physics and collision detection to prevent clipping? You can see the cloth move when Sebastian brushes against it. Maybe the cloth animation isn't set up to really conform around another object, and merely wavers when collided with. Edit: Should have watched for 5 more seconds before posting. The cloth moves appropriately when Sebastian goes all the way under it.

On another note, even though he was crawling very slowly toward her, she still detected him and turned around. That may not bode well for the stealth mechanic. edit: lantern was on, probably causing the detection.

I watched about a minute of that video: looks good. Buying the game.

God that commentary was annoying

I hate to say this, but why is it that all the people that are ANNOYING AS ALL HELL getting to preview this yet folks like Dusk_Golem and myself... you know.... people that wouldn't be screaming ape shit, or throwing in a "talk dirty to me" song over footage, folks who have a passion for the survival horror genre, who would showcase the game properly, are having to sit here on the side lines and watch how horrible presented TEW is getting by some of the people. It's really unfortunate, but I already know the reason....subscriber count. :/

I hate to say this, but why is it that all the people that are ANNOYING AS ALL HELL getting to preview this yet folks like Dusk_Golem and myself... you know.... people that wouldn't be screaming ape shit, or throwing in a "talk dirty to me" song over footage, folks who have a passion for the survival horror genre, who would showcase the game properly, are having to sit here on the side lines and watch how horrible presented TEW is getting by some of the people. It's really unfortunate, but I already know the reason....subscriber count. :/

Unfortunately it will always be this way, I still remember how PDP made Skate popular again, because he is famous and has that really high subscriber count.
Most of the time when I'm watching those "weird" folks, that most people watch them because they are funny in a weird way I maybe do not understand, and are less watching at the game anyway.

Thrakier

Shit sells. That's how it has always been. You finde your niche or you better are as dumb as possible. People don't value good content most of the time, they value easy content.

Anyway, the framerate in his video looks HORRIBLE. So bad that it seemd unplayable. Hope it was just his recording software or his PC or whatever.

Unfortunately it will always be this way, I still remember how PDP made Skate popular again, because he is famous and has that really high subscriber count.
Most of the time when I'm watching those "weird" folks, that most people watch them because they are funny in a weird way I maybe do not understand, and are less watching at the game anyway.

That's ok. I've got a really well done video walkthrough planned out for the game. With a template for chapter selection, boss selection, weapon tactics, etc. It's going to be really nice and easy to navigate via youtube.

DukeBobby

Some good footage there. Still a little worried about the PC version, so I hope we see some of it before release.

However, that guy was painful to listen to. He makes PewDiePie sound pleasant to the ear.

That's ok. I've got a really well done video walkthrough planned out for the game. With a template for chapter selection, boss selection, weapon tactics, etc. It's going to be really nice and easy to navigate via youtube.

Sounds great, so basically you are planning a walk through instead of an let's play?

Sounds great, so basically you are planning a walk through instead of an let's play?

It's a bit of both. My goal is to play the first time. Record. Edit the video for dull, lost, died repeatedly parts. Face came introduces the video, along with the menu options at the top and bottom of the video. Then after a few moments. That all fades away. You will hear my commentary, but it won't be ANYTHING like that constant talking, drivel. On occasion my webcam will fade back into view for specific key moments, but then fade away again. It's a new idea for a walkthough type I've had, but I've planned for THE EVIL WITHIN as the first game I'm starting this style with. Though the difference is, they will all go up at once. The videos that is. It might be a bit hard to envision but once it's done, I'm sure it will make sense. Here is a example of the chapter selection I've made. http://imgur.com/lfcHaEe Videos end with face cam and menu system coming back up. Goal is to have chapters at the top. Boss battles, weapon tactics, Keys (if I can find them all), and anything else I can think of at the bottom.

Nibel

Hey, at least it's not as bad as Devil's Third where there is no transition between TP-view and FP-view. :p

By the way.. is this really the final version of the game? The ending makes it seem like this is just a preview build and it really reminds me of the same build that Gronkh played. Also, I don't think the language in the video is French.

It's a bit of both. My goal is to play the first time. Record. Edit the video for dull, lost, died repeatedly parts. Face came introduces the video, along with the menu options at the top and bottom of the video. Then after a few moments. That all fades away. You will hear my commentary, but it won't be ANYTHING like that constant talking, drivel. On occasion my webcam will fade back into view for specific key moments, but then fade away again. It's a new idea for a walkthough type I've had, but I've planned for THE EVIL WITHIN as the first game I'm starting this style with. Though the difference is, they will all go up at once. The videos that is. It might be a bit hard to envision but once it's done, I'm sure it will make sense. Here is a example of the chapter selection I've made. http://imgur.com/lfcHaEe Videos end with face cam and menu system coming back up. Goal is to have chapters at the top. Boss battles, weapon tactics, Keys (if I can find them all), and anything else I can think of.

Sounds like a really cool idea, I'll watch those videos for sure. And the idea with the fade in and fade out camera sounds neat. I'll definitely watch your YT videos when this game is out.
The chapter selections looks cool with the brains and the chapter numbers in it, looking forward to that :)

Hey, at least it's not as bad as Devil's Third where there is no transition between TP-view and FP-view. :p

By the way.. is this really the final version of the game? The ending makes it seem like this is just a preview build and it really reminds me of the same build that Gronkh played. Also, I don't think the language in the video is French.

It was Spanish, text, language and subtitles.

Top Bottom