• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Also, I don't think supplies are as limited as you guys think they are.

Most people who play the mansion demo seemingly ignore breaking the barrels and vases laying around which usually contain ammo among other supplies.

Though admittedly, I wouldn't have known that factoid if I didn't see Pete Hines or whatever his name doing that on the Bethesda stream a few months ago.

I'm guessing the game teaches you about that during the first few chapters like in RE4, but since this chapter is late in the game it doesn't bother telling you.

Also, I don't think supplies are as limited as you guys think they are.

Most people who play the mansion demo seemingly ignore breaking the barrels and vases laying around which usually contain ammo among other supplies.

Though admittedly, I wouldn't have known that factoid if I didn't see Pete Hines or whatever his name doing that on the Bethesda stream a few months ago.

I'm guessing the game teaches you about that during the first few chapters like in RE4, but since this chapter is late in the game it doesn't bother telling you.

Sounds legit, but to be honest, breaking barrels and everything possible, would be common sense, RE4 for e.g. never told you that you could break boxes or barrels for additional ammo.
And I think it will use the same mechanic than RE4, that you'll get items, which are based on your play style. If you die a lot you'll get more supplies than dying less.

Nibel

The more think I about I'm pretty sure this is not the final build of the game. It looks like an old build from the content that is in this and the first video is from mid-September around when other YouTubers posted some TEW content.

In the second Video, the one linked here, it even has the word 'demo' in the description and YT comments are worth shit. Bethesda probably just contacted every big gaming YouTuber in each country and gave them a preview build to showcase.

Sounds legit, but to be honest, breaking barrels and everything possible, would be common sense, RE4 for e.g. never told you that you could break boxes or barrels for additional ammo. And I think it will use the same mechanic than RE4, that you'll get items or not based on your play style. If you die a lot you'll get more supplies than dying less.

Actually, in the first two chapters of RE4 if you go near a box or barrel there would be a CHECK button prompt to tell you that they are breakable. The prompt goes away by the third chapter or so (i.e: 1-3).

The boxes are obvious enough, but the barrels kinda blend in with the environment, so it's not too obvious unless you accidentally blow them up while using a grenade or something.

In TEW especially the barrels look like background props or decoration. They don't stick out at all. In the room with the piece of cloth hanging the barrels there don't have the usual video gamey appearance of "look here, break me!" to them. So I don't necessarily blame the demo players for ignoring them.

I am generally like that in games as well. So I'm especially disappointed in myself for not immediately noticing that the barrels in TEW are breakable.

But meh, better to feel like an idiot now, then to go halfway through the full game before realizing and feeling like a complete dumbass :lol

Xpliskin

You guyz, "FPS" aiming view is area dependent.
RE4 started it, then Dead Space copied, Dark Sector didn't get the hint, it continued in RE5 and 6.
I know because I had to do something similar.
e.g in RE4 compare regenerador lab area cam to castle hall cam

Twitter:
You can't start on HARD, only modes available are NORMAL and EASY/casual.
But normal is very challenging.

PS4 version is smooth !
And they re-enabled obstacle avoidance for the camera when opening doors, it actually made it to the final version.

You guyz, "FPS" aiming view is area dependent.
RE4 started it, then Dead Space copied, Dark Sector didn't get the hint, it continued in RE5 and 6.
I know because I had to do something similar.
e.g in RE4 compare regenerador lab area cam to castle hall cam

Twitter:
You can't start on HARD, only modes available are NORMAL and EASY/casual.
But normal is very challenging.

PS4 version is smooth !
And they re-enabled obstacle avoidance for the camera when opening doors, it actually made it to the final version.

I just recently replayed RE4 and it's true, the aiming camera is area-dependent.

The first time you meet a regenerator is especially ridiculous, Leon literally takes up 50% of the screen :lol

Majmun

I'm on total media black-out. The reveal trailer is the first and the last footage I've seen from this game. I wonder if much has changed...

Can't wait to play it.

JayEH

Bethesda has to stop with the midnight embargoes. Wolfenstein was great and reviewed well and everything I've seen from The Evil Within looks good.

Look at Shadow of Mordor, I know a bunch of people (including myself) here on gaf pre ordered the game right away once the reviews hit.

Thrakier

So play the PC version?

PC isn't the answer to everything. If a developer doesn't give a shit about performance, the PC port will most likely suffer as well. Brute forcing to 60FPS isn't the most ideal situation, since a) it's costly and b) graphical fidelty suffers. At this point I have the feeling it's not even about graphical fidelty even more. It's just a cost/marketing decision: "Will the market accept the game at 25FPS or do we need to pay three more months for performance polishing"? If the answer to that question is "the market does accept it", we all know what the outcome will be.

PC isn't the answer to everything. If a developer doesn't give a shit about performance, the PC port will most likely suffer as well. Brute forcing to 60FPS isn't the most ideal situation, since a) it's costly and b) graphical fidelty suffers. At this point I have the feeling it's not even about graphical fidelty even more. It's just a cost/marketing decision: "Will the market accept the game at 25FPS or do we need to pay three more months for performance polishing"? If the answer to that question is "the market does accept it", we all know what the outcome will be.

Funny though, the game was pushed back by about two months for polishing.

Grief.exe

Let's do this

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

vsryLSs.png

Both the @Bethblog and @TheEvilWith tags seem to answer fan questions relatively frequently, while the @johnjohanas, an employee of Tango Gameworks, seems to answer questions very frequently.

As usual, retweet, start your own, or both!

Nuke Soda

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! We finally have some footage (the usual mansion footage) of the final build of the game! Click.

Be warned that the commentary is awful, and the guy is the French version of PewDiePie, but it's still worth watching!

* He's playing the PS4 version.
* New female screams have been added when burning female enemies.
* You can see the grenade in action for the first time.
* The camera goes into a FPS view every time you aim.
* Essential items (the two dials) now glow. It's very similar to the glow when you pick up dropped items in RE4.
* Enemies can bust open doors naturally (it's not always scripted).
* Enemies now throw weapons like in RE4.
* Ammo is still scarce - like really scarce!
* The framerate looks rock solid.
* I noticed a weird glitch where the tree branch shadows kept on spazzing out.

Overall the main thing I took away from watching this is just how polished the game looks now. It's come so damn far!
Mute isn't helping. His muted face cam reactions are still annoying lol.

Nuke Soda

So when the game comes out and gets reviewed what do you guys think the IGN cons for the game will be?
-Difficult
-Unpredictable enemies
-Punishing healing system.
-Not enough bullets

-MD-

So when the game comes out and gets reviewed what do you guys think the IGN cons for the game will be?
-Difficult
-Unpredictable enemies
-Not enough bullets

All of the above.

- Lack of bread crumb trails
- Puzzles
- Ammo cap

-Difficult
-Unpredictable enemies
-Not enough bullets

Clunky melee/close quarters combat will be a common complaint, guaranteed. And from what I've seen, it won't be an entirely unwarranted criticism. Not that it's a big deal to me though.

Xpliskin

-Difficult
-Unpredictable enemies
-Not enough bullets

-Game is unforgiving on Normal
-Sebastian is a detective, yet he can't investigate
-Lack of QTEs

14th is too far away :/

Local game shop said he'd break the street date as soon as they're available \o/

Top Bottom