• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... I got that feeling in my bones.

Resident Evil 4-2

Probably not in its impact on the industry, but this feels like it can be a game on that scale and with that kind of quality. The team assembled, the budget, the dev time, the publisher backing. I can feel it.

Don't jinx this with your ***_******* powers, mate

I want to believe

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... I got that feeling in my bones.

Resident Evil 4-2

Probably not in its impact on the industry, but this feels like it can be a game on that scale and with that kind of quality. The team assembled, the budget, the dev time, the publisher backing. I can feel it.

iUhi27k1RhVe2.gif

This is actually really, really cool. I think I'll just grab this based on the premise and pedigree alone.

Basketball

obamayawn.gif

I wish it was fallout

you guys are busting all over the place over this game even though you haven't seen any gameplay other than a bs live action trailer

typical gaf
enjoy your hype train

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
obamayawn.gif

I wish it was fallout

you guys are busting all over the place over this game even though you haven't seen any gameplay other than a bs live action trailer

typical gaf
enjoy your hype train

Faith in the team behind it, the screens and concept art looks promising, and the Japanese PR sounds really promising. We'll see more on Monday.

Basketball

i hope it's a good game and all

but i guess im not the type of person that gushes over annoucements

yes I still wish it was fallout
(but maybe Bethesda is saving the real big news for E3)

Hypron

Faith in the team behind it, the screens and concept art looks promising, and the Japanese PR sounds really promising. We'll see more on Monday.

Yup.

I'm glad we got this announcement instead of fallout 4, because Mikami has a history of directing games with great gameplay, whereas Bethesda Softworks definitely hasn't.

Dusk Golem

Working on an article analyzing everything from today that should be up soon, but I think I have evidence about what the Vaultheaded man is and that the game might have fixed camera-angles in sections of the game.

The only thing that doesnt work for me is safe face guy. It's doesnt make any sense and its about as scary as a guy with a cuckoo clock on his face.

Xpliskin

Seems the correct answer was under our nose all this time:

vZFHXCx.jpg

idStudio (id tech 5 level editor) running with world camera preview and material selector (the yellow maps) in plain sight for all to see lol.
Those other tools: same interface (selected tab turns orange, grayish futuristic color palette, same propriety modifiers, debug output string color/window, material selector ... ).

I had checked UDK, Cryengine, Gamebryo but not IdTech 5, I assumed that what they were showing was a proprietary tool not recognizable or a known DCC tool (they'd blur that shit out right? They didn't).
It does look like modo right.
Well I guess the most obvious answer is usually the correct one, sometimes one shouldn't look past his own nose !

Photo of naoki katakai (and the others) are from 2 years ago. By 2011 they were already using id tech 5.
Of course, they have more advanced developer tools not available in RAGE's mod toolkit.

Also, Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Jason voorhees obviously seem to be major influences for the enemies. And RE 4 as the general game's basis:
310852555.jpg

220902575.jpg

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Working on an article analyzing everything from today that should be up soon, but I think I have evidence about what the Vaultheaded man is and that the game might have fixed camera-angles in sections of the game.

Oh boy this is going to be the survival horror game we deserve! Hyped.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

remz

Working out some of the wording and editing bits of the article, but here's my personal analysis of the media released for the announcement, as well as detailing a few theories and things to observe/note:

http://www.relyonhorror.com/articles/the-evil-within-announcement-media-analysis/

Apart from the one part where you wrote Kieb; instead of Leon- That's awesome. Especially the stuff about the camera and item placement, you're much more observant than I. great job!

Dusk Golem

Man, this gonna look so bad at the current gen consoles. lol

Either get this on PC or the Next Gen.

It will probably be released at Q4 2014 though.

It's confirmed from the Japanese press release that they are using a more-advanced and updated version of the engine than any game has used before with a cutting-edge lighting system. It could still be crap, but we will have to see.

Nemesis_

Dusky that is a beautiful write up. I got to the first piece of artwork before I realised that I should have finished this assignment I'm working on now, but I will continue reading once I get a chance and won't feel guilty about it :p

This game looks amazing. Too bad I'm awful at playing horror games. Watching horror movies is easy. Playing and interacting with something scary is a whole different animal

remz

It's confirmed from the Japanese press release that they are using a more-advanced and updated version of the engine than any game has used before with a cutting-edge lighting system. It could still be crap, but we will have to see.

I think the fact it's mostly in the dark will probably help it hide some of the texture shortcomings. If their lightning looks good in motion as they are implying it is it should be great.

I believe I've read/seen enough. I'll be going on a media blackout for this game starting now, wake me up when we know the release date.

I really hope this turns out to be true!

Do it guys! Make this a success and pave the way for a resurgence in the survival horror genre for the eight generation!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Fallout, what a fuc$%&g boring game.
I just don't get it.

Apparently the writing in at least F:NV was well done. I don't know personally though. I played the first 2 hours (of F3) and couldn't understand how a developer/ QA could look at the gameplay and say, 'this is exactly what I wanted.'

*Shrug, I uninstalled it and installed RAGE. Found the opposite issue, no actual main narrative, but gameplay was solid. Dream game would have id develop the gameplay portion and Obsidian write the narrative.

TedNindo

Apparently the writing in at least F:NV was well done. I don't know personally though. I played the first 2 hours (of F3) and couldn't understand how a developer/ QA could look at the gameplay and say, 'this is exactly what I wanted.'

*Shrug, I uninstalled it and installed RAGE. Found the opposite issue, no actual main narrative, but gameplay was solid. Dream game would have id develop the gameplay portion and Obsidian write the narrative.

To me Fallout NV was the best walking/ exploration simulator ever. And I just love the Fallout universe. The game isn't really about the overal story. But the little stories within it waiting to be found.

Thorgal

at the end of the trailer with the tentacles burst through the door was i the only one who thought : FLYING SPAGHETI MONSTER?

anyway this game shows promise .

If Kamiya can make a game that is on the same level as the first 4 silent hill games
i will offer up my blood .flesh and bones as a unholy sacrifice to him .

Nemesis_

Interesting stuff about the key art though, you know there's no pain receptors in the brain?

So the barbed wire wouldn't actually hurt at all!

:3

Nemesis_

Lord there are no good feeds for this trailer to make decent GIFs.

Nonetheless, starting on some now :3

It's interesting how much stuff is in this trailer when you look at it on a frame-by-frame basis

Yuterald

Looks and sounds really cool. Going media blackout from this point though. Already seeing giant face bosses, that's enough for me.

Zarx

Man, this gonna look so bad at the current gen consoles. lol

Either get this on PC or the Next Gen.

It will probably be released at Q4 2014 though.

I would wager this will be 30fps on consoles and has a new lighting engine and probably other engine updates. So it will probably look a lot better than RAGE. Might not even use megatextures, or at least not in the same way.

Top Bottom