• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

Neiteio

Hopefully they'll release a gameplay trailer to coincide with IGN's hands-on this Monday.

Also, what's the best version of the "brain-house" art that we have so far? I want to wallpaper it!

maeda

God, this game sounds so delicious. It's basically the game I've been waiting since RE 4. No Wii U version is killing me... Considering the sad state of Wii U's 3rd party support I should be reconsidering my stance on PC gaming.

antitrop

"In film criticism, auteur theory holds that a director's film reflects the director's personal creative vision, as if they were the primary "auteur" (the French word for "author"). In spite of—and sometimes even because of—the production of the film as part of an industrial process, the auteur's creative voice is distinct enough to shine through all kinds of studio interference and through the collective process."

Lime's posts often require the use of my Google Chrome Dictionary extension. :p

Xpliskin

Hopefully they'll release a gameplay trailer to coincide with IGN's hands-on this Monday.

Also, what's the best version of the "brain-house" art that we have so far? I want to wallpaper it!

http://cdnstatic.bethsoft.com/theevilwithin.com/downloads/announce_1920x1200_01.jpg

Also, main website states: "Shinji Mikami, the father of survival horror, is back to direct The Evil Within™".

Bad translation or they shifted directors ?

Which one is it, Ikumi nakamura or shinji mikami ?

D-e-f-

Banned
God, this game sounds so delicious. It's basically the game I've been waiting since RE 4. No Wii U version is killing me... Considering the sad state of Wii U's 3rd party support I should be reconsidering my stance on PC gaming.

There's still a tiny chance. Wait until it's been officially ruled out at least.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sorry for being a bit dense in my formulation. I meant something along the lines of attributing responsibility to one person for all aspects and content of (in this case) the game.
Oh okay. That's wrong and I agree (giving credit to Mikami for game design is wrong, because he is the director and there is a specific role for the designer), but I also feel that people are selling Mikami short on the other hand. He's one of the few auteur directors working in games.

So, I would be okay with saying it's Mikami's game, but not that he did everything in it, which includes misattributing roles to him.

It's fine that uninvited / exoteric people have to put a face on everything, I just expect a place like GAF with lots of people familiar with game development to refrain from lavishly praising one guy for something as complex as what we see in this game.

GAF understands that one person doesn't make a game all by himself.

It takes a dedicated team full of talented individuals to come together to make a game.

At the same time we do understand that a leader can make or break a game. Almost every game studio has talented people. But not every studio has a visionary who can make a good game a Great game. There is a reason names like Miyamoto, Hideo Kojima, Kamiya and Mikami get brought up. Their game may not be perfect, but there vision for their game is usually what makes it stand out amongst the hundreds of other games that get released.

I mostly just expect an enthusiast forum to know how game development works and large-scale productions like this type is rarely dependent on auteur-like principles. Yes, there's general direction and decisions by one or a couple of persons, but the actual execution is accomplished by several individuals.

It's fine that uninvited / exoteric people have to put a face on everything, I just expect a place like GAF with lots of people familiar with game development to refrain from lavishly praising one guy for something as complex as what we see in this game.

Right. The praise comes from the fact that Mikami-directed games usually tend to not just be of ridiculously high quality (e.g. REmake & RE4) but almost always innovative. That's not to say he's always the one who is innovative behind the scenes, but the fact remains games directed by Shinji Mikami, over a span of almost 20 years, almost always bring something new to the industry.

This is more of a special case anyway, generally it's studios who are praised. But when the likes of Mikami, Levine, Kamiya etc have a new project people get excited because of them and I think their catalogue warrants it.

Bruce Straley directed Uncharted 2
And is the director for the Last of Us

Neil Druckman is the creative director for Last of Us... They have both been seen together giving interviews about the game so no argument there.

Bruce Straley is the game director on both. Neil Druckmann was co-lead designer on Uncharted 2 and this is his first gig as Creative Director.

It's from the claim that a film is a director's personal vision.

Lime

but I also feel that people are selling Mikami short on the other hand. He's one of the few auteur directors working in games.

At the same time we do understand that a leader can make or break a game. Almost every game studio has talented people. But not every studio has a visionary who can make a good game a Great game. There is a reason names like Miyamoto, Hideo Kojima, Kamiya and Mikami get brought up. There game may not be perfect, but there vision for their game is usually what makes it stand out amongst the hundreds of other games that get released.

Good posts and I now see what the significance of what is meant by "Mikami" etc. And no doubt he has one of the best portfolios around.

The king of survival horror is back. All i need to hear is that Yoshiki Okamoto is working along side Mikami then Resident Evil burn to ashes for all i care.

Neiteio

News Bot

Banned
The king of survival horror is back. All i need to hear is that Yoshiki Okamoto is working along side Mikami then Resident Evil burn to ashes for all i care.

Yoshiki Okamoto has never worked on a horror game, I don't think. He was a producer who barely even interacted in-office with Mikami's Production Studio 4 or had a role in the development of any game.

Oh okay. That's wrong and I agree (giving credit to Mikami for game design is wrong, because he is the director and there is a specific role for the designer), but I also feel that people are selling Mikami short on the other hand. He's one of the few auteur directors working in games.

So, I would be okay with saying it's Mikami's game, but not that he did everything in it, which includes misattributing roles to him.
Auteur doesn't mean one man did everything. But rather one man directs the vision. In Film people know one person doesn't work all the cameras, build the sets,dresses the people,scores the film,handle special effects and fight choreography if there is any. But still the vision and themes come from one man or woman. You can look at multiple Kubrick films and see his style. The same way you can look at Ken Levine games and see his style.

Vortex566

Just watched the trailer and the first thing that came into my mind was Hellraiser. I've almost just gave my wife a heart attack, as I screamed when the hand came out of the door.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Auteur doesn't mean one man did everything. But rather one man directs the vision. In Film people know one person doesn't work all the cameras, build the sets,dresses the people,scores the film,handle special effects and fight choreography if there is any. But still the vision and themes come from one man or woman. You can look at multiple Kubrick films and see his style. The same way you can look at Ken Levine games and see his style.
I know what it means.

Also, Levine shouldn't be in this conversation.

Good posts and I now see what the significance of what is meant by "Mikami" etc. And no doubt he has one of the best portfolios around.
I hope you've played GOD HAND.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Look at Naughty Dog, 3 Uncharted games Directed and written by Mrs. Amy Hennig but people put Naughty Dog at the front.
Well, Naughty Dog is pretty unquie when it comes to this, I give you that. There are hardly any other quality studios making games that do not have a distinctive face to tie on. I've know Amy for a while though since LoK used to be one of my favourite series. I guess she must really dislike the spotlight. Good for her that Evan Wells is jumping in most of the time. For a long time I actually thought that he was the Uncharted director btw.

Mileena

Banned
I'm getting the following vibe:

- REmake
- RE4
- Siren: Blood Curse
- Eternal Darkness
- Shadows of the Damned
- Cabin in the Woods
- Se7en
- SAW

Thrown in a blender. A strainer used to filter out the Suda.

I hope this turns out to be the case!

You just had to throw that shitty ass Cabin in the Woods in there and ruin it, didn't you?

Creative Director is the main force and what is akin to Director. And Amy Hennig was the creative director of Uncharted 2. Game Director is a more loose term.

In all the interviews I've seen Amy has only handled the writing and the direction of the actors during mocap. Don't get me wrong she does an awesome job but that wasn't the only elements that made Uncharted 2 great.

Look at this way... She was also the "creative director" for Uncharted 3. Yet Uncharted 2 was (IMO of course) the more balanced paced game and it had little to do with the writing and motion capture...(the game direction sucked)

Naughty dog is the exception because they don't have a hierarchy like most studios do, and the last of us isn't out yet so we won't know how good it will end up being. But even though Awesome Amy isnt writing the last of us, the 2 men who are, are definitely Naughty Dog.

Amy is in a class of her own so she doesn't fall under A or B Team

Xpliskin

I wonder if Capcom will revise its direction regarding Resident Evil 7 after witnessing the reception TEW is/will (be) getting.

Jawmuncher

Excellent! Thank you! :)

LOVE the logo art. Both the stacked font with the extended 'T,' and the brain-house. The barbwire is incredibly visceral, and the inverted church forming the brain-stem is all sorts of creepy.

Do you guys think this game's monsters will have a "scientific" explanation (like viruses and parasites in RE), or are they going supernatural this time?

I'd like to see them swing both ways. But with some of the designs here, I'd assume supernatural is more likely.

News Bot

Banned
He worked on my favorite RE games.

In those days, Okamoto was a producer who had no creative involvement, unless you count when he made demands at the final stretch of BIO1's development in relation to ink ribbon quantity and item box sharing. But from there on he literally didn't have anything to do with the active development of the series. He made corporate decisions such as deciding that the series should have a wide universe shared between many games like the 007 franchise.

He did bring in Noboru Sugimura for BH2 and then established FLAGSHIP though, so he gets major props for those.

The same way you can look at Ken Levine games and see his style.

He definitely doesn't like extremists, if that's his style.

Slate said:
The first BioShock was admired by critics both as an ego-gratifying combat simulator and a critique of extremism, with Objectivism standing in as the particular but not exclusive source of it. "I wasn't setting out to make a game about Objectivism," Levine told games site Kotaku after the original was released. "I was setting out to make a game about someone who had a very strong belief in a philosophy that was similar to this philosophy. It's a cautionary tale about wholesale, unquestioning belief in something."

This mistrust is perceptible in many of Levine's games, and since everyone’s fair game for vilification, it makes it easier for him to justify a shoot-everything approach. System Shock 2, the outer space precursor to BioShock, follows a hero waking in a space station where all the humans have been zombified by an evil computer AI that’s hoping to wipe out human resistance to its plans to merge reality with cyberspace. Though less directly political, it poses a similar philosophical conflict between the body politic, always susceptible to becoming a brainwashed horde, and the evilness of their ruler. Freedom Force, released in 2002, similarly makes fighting the easily chosen imperative. That game, a cheerfully pulpy riff on World War II-era comic books, focuses on a compound that transforms otherwise normal people into either heroes or supervillains, impelled by their new powers to fight one another.

7threst

I don't like the use of Bach in the trailer and wasn't scared at all. I want to see more though. Not impressed yet.

Xpliskin

If the game sells Capcom's target of 7 million copies, yes.

PC version (piracy) and no online component ("one shot" campaign) kills sales drastically imo.

I really want to see what they've come up with to deal with these problems (if anything).

In those days, Okamoto was a producer who had no creative involvement, unless you count when he made demands at the final stretch of BIO1's development in relation to ink ribbon quantity and item box sharing. But from there on he literally didn't have anything to do with the active development of the series. He made corporate decisions such as deciding that the series should have a wide universe shared between many games like the 007 franchise.

He did bring in Noboru Sugimura for BH2 and then established FLAGSHIP though, so he gets major props for those.

Well he was apart of the series. That's good enough for me. :)

for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.
god hand is sss tier bro

7threst

I loved it. Though I wanted it to play the whole trailer rather than quickly in the beginning and end.

I love Bach but it seemed kinda forced into this trailer to me somehow. I kinda expected more from Mikami maybe, I don't know. What I did like, was the kind of thrashy '80's Hellraiser-style horror-vibe, if that makes sense. Not scary, but it did look cool.

Xpliskin

The press release clearly states PS3/360/PC and next gen consoles.

yes and adding to that; If it was UE3, a port would have been easy.

AFAIK there is no id tech 5 game running on Wii U.

PS4/X720 have similar architecture to PCs.

Seeing the PS3 version of id tech 5 and the amount of bugs on its PC version, I highly doubt Tango Gameworks is going to invest time & money into porting the engine to WiiU, which itself uses an uncommon architecture.

Top Bottom