• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within Ultimate Preview Video

Hey GAF!

I went ahead and created a 5 minute video for The Evil Within. It encompasses a general broad sense of all the information we have on the story, gameplay (thanks to GAF member Dusk Golem for some input from his hands on at PAX) and a focus on some of the enemy types you'll be encountering. There is plenty more that Tango Game Works and Bethesda won't be sharing till the retail release I assume. This does a pretty good job of letting you know what horrors you can expect to encounter when evil takes hold Oct 14th, 2014.If anyone has any questions I didn't answer in the video, shoot. Me and Dusk and even MD would possible be able to answer any of them for you. After this, I think I'm about done covering this game until release, there isn't much more that can be said at this point.

Also if you haven't read Dusk Golem in depth impressions, it's a great read. Be sure to check out his thread here.

Also a issue was recently brought to my attention I wanted to mention here. I'll quote my post about it so people can be sure to know my intentions on this video.

I recently had this brought to my attention privately over on youtube messages from a fellow GAF member and wanted to just mention this here. Here is a small quote, there is more but here is the bottom line the person wanted to express.

"I'd like to speak honestly. The video made me uncomfortable. Something like this, which blends advertising and news style media coverage, is typical for games media outlets"

Obviously it made them uncomfortable on the way this video was done, the production of it, etc. I apologize if this video came off that way whatsoever. I simple wanted to do a fun video that was sort of all encompassing the information we have on the game so far since video previews seem to be lacking that as of this post. My message isn't about trying to tell you this will be the best game ever or that it deserves your money, and yes the game could suck for all I know. It will have flaws like any other game does and I'll be sure to discuss those in my coverage of the game once it releases. Again, if this came off gross, or misleading to anyone. I apologize. Not my intention in the slightest.

Will watch the video after work, thanks!

As an aside, is there any information on the PC version at all? Quality of the port etc. My big decision for this game is Steam vs PS4

Will watch the video after work, thanks!

As an aside, is there any information on the PC version at all? Quality of the port etc. My big decision for this game is Steam vs PS4

Not as of yet. So for now I would consider the PC version the best if the port or build of it is solid. Just like most multi console games. If it means anything, Dusk Golem stated the Xbox One build ran smooth and loading was vastly improved from the PS4 version. Not saying the PS4 version is a poor port but that it appears the best build we have seen so far is on Xbox One. This leads me to believe the PC version along with the PS$4 version will be solid versions also.

curiousrobot

Neo Member
Great video. My hype-meter is running off the chart.

I am hoping for a solid PC version. Lets hope idTech5 behaves itself.

Thanks for the video. Was it ever noted why Boxman is a blatant ripoff of Pyramid Head?

Honestly, I think there to be a back story or history for most of the boss like enemies you encounter. Boxheads origins haven't been discussed but I really don't feel he is a huge rip off of pyramid head. They seem pretty different in my eyes. Just my thoughts.

Jingo

Great video! Its amazing how an "amateur" fan can make me more hyped about the game than a professional.

Bravo.

antitrop

I watched this last night and found it very informative and entertaining. I appreciated the effort that went into making it fun to watch.

Great video! Its amazing how an "amateur" fan can make me more hyped about the game than a professional.

Bravo.

Thanks.

Being passionate for a game your excited for before it releases can be easy, but when they keep the game in the dark, it's a bit harder to get all the details together. It has the potential to dissapoint you and come out not as well as you hoped. Yet regardless of that, putting out the information for others to see, read, and learn more about it is the least I can do to show my support. Even if the game doesn't live up to my hype, the ideas behind it, the creator, and the style the game has, has been enough for me to want to support it completely.

JoeFenix

I'm incredibly excited to play this game now, can't wait to check out that Akumu mode, finally a new Mikami joint!

It's been way too long since Vanquish came out and he left to form Tango. This and Bayo 2 back to back, good times ahead!

For someone who has no official ties to the game, you're going above and beyond and have done more to promote and keep everyone informed on this game than Bethesda has done since it was announced.

They really need to acknowledge your hard work in some fashion, just wouldn't be right if they didn't.

untitled-1foshn.gif

Extremely excited for the game, Can't damn wait! October and November are going to be one hell of a month for gaming as they mostly have been.

For someone who has no official ties to the game, you're going above and beyond and have done more to promote and keep everyone informed on this game than Bethesda has done since it was announced.

They really need to acknowledge your hard work in some fashion, just wouldn't be right if they didn't.

They really don't have to. I'm just happy to be able to spread the word, but I really appreciate the gesture of it, Miles.

Sweet, will watch after work. Praying for a smooth framerate on release!!!
Yeah if the Xbox One version that Dusk played is any indication, I think we can relax a little bit on that.

untitled-1foshn.gif

Extremely excited for the game, Can't damn wait! October and November are going to be one hell of a month for gaming as they mostly have been.

I've never seen this version of the GIF but you had me dying in laughter at work.

Great video preview!

What's up with the reticle off to the right side of the screen and the very claustrophobic FOV? Especially when Sbeastian turns to melee an enemy, you can't see the enemy and his melee attack moves off screen. Same goes for aiming over the shoulder, his character completely disappears...

Is this a design element to increase tension or a more archaic form of control and just bad camera work?

Great video preview!

What's up with the reticle off to the right side of the screen and the very claustrophobic FOV? Especially when Sbeastian turns to melee an enemy, you can't see the enemy and his melee attack moves off screen. Same goes for aiming over the shoulder, his character completely disappears...

Is this a design element to increase tension or a more archaic form of control and just bad camera work?

That's simple me just having the screen zoomed in. The camera is much further back then what your seeing. I went zoomed in on quite a few moments. Also with the footage I had to work with, not having access to the originals from Bethesda, I had to work with what I had. Some footage in there has the more accurate viewpoint.

Reedirect

Great video. The waiting for mid-October will be painful. Also, you have that same soothing type of narration in your videos as Chris Stuckmann.

Great video. The waiting for mid-October will be painful. Also, you have that same soothing type of narration in your videos as Chris Stuckmann.

Interestingly enough, I usually have a goofball sense of humor or zaniness to my channel, so the serious tone isn't something I do usually. Glad to know it come off really well.

That's simple me just having the screen zoomed in. The camera is much further back then what your seeing. I went zoomed in on quite a few moments. Also with the footage I had to work with, not having access to the originals from Bethesda, I had to work with what I had. Some footage in there has the more accurate viewpoint.

Ah, good to know! Thanks. Atmosphere seems to be fantastic. Which means I will likely not be playing it as I can't handle scary games.

The wait will be hard. Unable to think about any other game :D

Yep. If there is one light at the end of the tunnel during the wait, is that eveything else coming out beforehand will just seem to appear suddenly for me. Yet I have one true love I'm waiting for.

Nibel

Great video, Slasher :)

Man, every sequence with stalker enemies in it creep me out. Shit will be tense, man.

Superflat

Having all the info about gameplay condensed into one video was a great idea. Gave me a much better idea about how it'll play, and I didn't see the footage before. It seems like it's along the same vein as TLOU combat, like the stealthy take downs and fairly discreet button prompt bubbles that pop up when you're in range of something.

That plus randomized enemies makes for a pretty compelling recipe; they just need to have executed it all in a way that makes it fun to play.

The only designs I don't like is the lockbox-head with a meat cleaver and especially the teleporting guy. Just seeing him zip around stabbing dudes takes the horror out of it and gives me more of a sci-fi action vibe, which I'm sure isn't the goal. The meat cleaver guy just seems like a easy boring design that doesn't scare me at all.

The regular enemies seem creepy enough, and I like that you need to torch them to make sure they stay down.

Grisby

Nice video. I think I'm moving this to a day 1 purchase.

Strange, but I'm getting more excited for this and less excited for Alien Isolation where the opposite was true just a few months ago. I think it's the fact that the Alien always spawns near you or some rumor like that (gamescom?).

Plus, I always like to fight back in my survival horror games.

Having all the info about gameplay condensed into one video was a great idea. Gave me a much better idea about how it'll play, and I didn't see the footage before. It seems like it's along the same vein as TLOU combat, like the stealthy take downs and fairly discreet button prompt bubbles that pop up when you're in range of something.

That plus randomized enemies makes for a pretty compelling recipe; they just need to have executed it all in a way that makes it fun to play.

The only designs I don't like is the lockbox-head with a meat cleaver and especially the teleporting guy. Just seeing him zip around stabbing dudes takes the horror out of it and gives me more of a sci-fi action vibe, which I'm sure isn't the goal. The meat cleaver guy just seems like a easy boring design that doesn't scare me at all.

The regular enemies seem creepy enough, and I like that you need to torch them to make sure they stay down.

What creepy for me about Boxhead is that he can basically regrow himself after being destroyed or stuck and can surprise you. Something about a enemy that can regrow itself is scary to me. Also the thing with Ruvik, it appears he is more like a glitch in the system so to speak. I'm sure more will be revealed but I think the game will def stay in line with more horror then sci-fi.

Great video! I'm surprised we haven't had a comprehensive look at the game till now.
Agreed

I wouldn't know much about the game at all if it weren't for hands on impressions and videos like the one SlasherJPC made. Hopefully Bethesda and Tango start making some gameplay vids to explain the mechanics a bit so we don't get another RE6 situation where people can't take full advantage of what the game has to offer.
Seems some other gaffers are joining in on The Evil Within excitement and have made their avatars...EVIL-fied! :p Nice. About 6 weeks left to go.
Evil takes hold slowly. Come October 14th all of us will have the evil within. :p

Agreed

I wouldn't know much about the game at all if it weren't for hands on impressions and videos like the one SlasherJPC made. Hopefully Bethesda and Tango start making some gameplay vids to explain the mechanics a bit so we don't get another RE6 situation where people can't take full advantage of what the game has to offer.

Evil takes hold slowly. Come October 14th all of us will have the evil within. :p

And another one joins us. I'd really love for the Bethesda community lead to chime in on here and get in touch with me. Would love to work with them in some capacity. They've been a bit quite lately but also they have also been busy.

malfcn

Thanks Slasher and Golem.
The hype is building again for this game.

I want to be afraid..I don't think I've been terrified since the REmakes.

Thanks Slasher and Golem.
The hype is building again for this game.

I want to be afraid..I don't think I've been terrified since the REmakes.

Thank you and everyone else here on GAF. Didn't expect everyone to come away so happy with the video I made, but I did feel I did a good job on it. Glad to know it wasn't all in my head. ;)

awesome video dood. I really hadnt put much effort into finding info about this game, so this was a great watch for me. That enemy swinging at the character while on the ground after being shot down was 2spooky, dont recall ever seeing anything like that in other games

From this video looks like the camera gets in the way. Anybody else noticed it?

Depends on what sections of the video your refering to. A lot of shots I had to zoom in or move a bit around to work with other things overlayed. Due to not having access to the original source material.

Top Bottom