• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within Ultimate Preview Video

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lots of folks in the other thread predicting that this will be the biggest gaming bomb come this fall season. I sure hope not.... :/
Doubt biggest, I don't know how successful the game will do, but it's coming to five different main game platforms, has a pretty decent advertising campaign, and I think it will get good word of mouth, think there are other titles in October which will bomb harder thanks to the advertising and availability of platforms alone.

Doubt biggest, I don't know how successful the game will do, but it's coming to five different main game platforms, has a pretty decent advertising campaign, and I think it will get good word of mouth, think there are other titles in October which will bomb harder thanks to the advertising and availability of platforms alone.

Agree completely. I don't know if it will set fire to the charts but be THE biggest bomb. I just can't see it.

Dusk Golem

Not going to make a new topic for this, but confirmed that Anna Tsuchiya, a Japanese musician who may be known for horror game fans as the lady who made these two songs for the two CG Resident Evil films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P992q07BKjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBur8wv2IU

She is confined to have made a song is for an Evil Within commercial, not confirmed for the game itself, but not unlikely for credits or something, the song is unreleased, but will be on her next album, song name is Lucifer.

-MD-

Lots of folks in the other thread predicting that this will be the biggest gaming bomb come this fall season. I sure hope not.... :/

I thought the negativity surrounding this game was nearly gone but there are 90+ mentions in that thread.

People seem more interested in it than ever and the marketing hasn't even really kicked in yet. I dunno, I just don't see this being the "biggest" flop of the year, I don't think it'll flop at all but like you said I also don't see it lighting up the charts. All I care about is that it sells enough to secure a sequel, hopefully it manages to do that.

As far as "biggest flop" goes, I'd be more worried about stuff like Sunset Overdrive, Bayo 2 & the Borderlands prequel.

I thought the negativity surrounding this game was nearly gone but there are 90+ mentions in that thread.

People seem more interested in it than ever and the marketing hasn't even really kicked in yet. I dunno, I just don't see the being the "biggest" flop of the year, I don't think it'll flop at all but like you said I also don't see it lighting up the charts. All I care about is that it sells enough to secure a sequel, hopefully it manages to do that.

Seems pretty backwards though. People barely know about it yet are negative about it. Yeah I don't get it. I still think they have been doing a better job or doing things like the even Dusk Golem attended, the theme park horror event they got going on and now the UK hands on tour. So I think with that, word of mouth, the high profile youtubers getting hands on early, etc. It has a solid chance.

great job SlasherJPC, you've done this game a great service, I'm definitely looking forward to this game, I have no doubt that i will love it.

untitled-1foshn.gif

That's the greatest gif I've ever seen.

Seconded.

edit: EW avatar C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Dusk Golem

As I've said, The Evil Within has an uphill battle to face, I do hope it does well, I don't think biggest bombs of the fall, but from there I am uncertain.

Three big problems for the game marketing wise is that it's one of those games that's much more fun to play than to watch, take this from my experience and other people I talke too who played the demo. Watching an playing are very different experiences here, and I think it's much more fun to play than to watch. People have been needlessly negative on the game since PAX East or so, that stigma probably won't leave the game until more people actually play it. And by design and the fact Mikami and the team want to keep a lot of secrets in te game, they've been very choosey with what they show, which is not good for hype but good for the experience.

I've talked with this with Slasher, but there were some stuff in the demo and demo trailer which I noticed I have purposely left out as I think they might ruin some surprises, but I think the TEW has a lot more surprises in it than people expect.

On the flip side, these lower expectations may help the title. People may more surprised with the game when they play it rather than disappointed by over-hype. The critical reception could push the team an Bethesda to fix and tighten things to make a better end-product. The negativity may bring more attention to people to check in to see how critics and gamers enjoy the game.

I'm still curious how this game will do with gamers, critics, and sales wise.

edit: EW avatar C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Shhh, I don't think it's a secret at this point this point that MD, Slasher, and I are really excited for The Evil Within, and the most forward about it on GAF.

Not a defense force, but horror fans who think TEW will provide something special. If the final game is terrible, we'll let other people know, but I can say for myself at least playing it has solidified that I think I'll love it.

As I've said, The Evil Within has an uphill battle to face, I do hope it does well, I don't think biggest bombs of the fall, but from there I am uncertain.

Three big problems for the game marketing wise is that it's one of those games that's much more fun to play than to watch, take this from my experience and other people I talke too who played the demo. Watching an playing are very different experiences here, and I think it's much more fun to play than to watch. People have been needlessly negative on the game since PAX East or so, that stigma probably won't leave the game until more people actually play it. And by design and the fact Mikami and the team want to keep a lot of secrets in te game, they've been very choosey with what they show, which is not good for hype but good for the experience.

I've talked with this with Slasher, but there were some stuff in the demo and demo trailer which I noticed I have purposely left out as I think they might ruin some surprises, but I think the TEW has a lot more surprises in it than people expect.

On the flip side, these lower expectations may help the title. People may more surprised with the game when they play it rather than disappointed by over-hype. The critical reception could push the team an Bethesda to fix and tighten things to make a better end-product. The negativity may bring more attention to people to check in to see how critics and gamers enjoy the game.

I'm still curious how this game will do with gamers, critics, and sales wise.

Shhh, I don't thin it's a secret at this point this point that MD, Slasher, and I are really excited for The Evil Within, and the most forward about it on GAF.

heh, actually i'm the most excited, i've been wearing barbed wire on my head for the past week and won't take it off till it releases.

Sure no one gets the reference but that's not the point.

edit: OH!!! YOU'RE the one who played the game already, I have so much haterism in my bloodstream for you, I hope all hot tubs turn cold for you.

heh, actually i'm the most excited, i've been wearing barbed wire on my head for the past week and won't take it off till it releases.

LOL.

Yeah. If the game has fault and turns out bad, I'll be one of the first along with MD and Dusk to mention them... but I hope your right Dusk in that people will just have low expectations and be blown away. I mean we've barely seen anything the game has to offer and that's on purpose, they want to keep the surprises in store and if there is one thing Mikami has always done, is had some great ideas, batttles, etc. Though the way people are talking about it, I'm starting to feel a bit crazy for having so much enthusiams for it. It's sort of a buzz kill.

I feel like with the way people are reacting to it, they indeed don't want a more classic style of suvival horror to come back. It's the first big horror game that's been produced in while and people scoff at it like it's crap.

Dusk Golem

I'm thinking of the film The Prison outside of the obvious TEW stuff, but guessing I missed the reference. XD;

I still am keeping my eyes out for The Prison references and similarities in Evil Within. I do not take it as coincidence the boxart for TEW is similar to the Japanese boxart for The Prison.

the-evil-within-box-art.jpg

IMG_6210.png

Which is pulled from one of the most famous scenes from the film.

prison-1988-movie-5.jpg

And the inventory screen looks a lot like the alternative art for the film (a blue skull facing forward flashes before the screen opens up and loiters the background of the inventory).

Picture.png

And some other stuff in the film. I don't expect a carbon copy, RE4 I am convinced took a lot of inspiration from the 2000 Spanish horror film, Dagon, but only inspired by, very different in what they do and how they handle it and go with only some noticeable similar elements.

Dusk Golem

edit: OH!!! YOU'RE the one who played the game already, I have so much haterism in my bloodstream for you, I hope all hot tubs turn cold for you.

If it means anything, it was only one area and playing it has made the wait for the next six weeks a lot harder.

LOL.

Yeah. If the game has fault and turns out bad, I'll be one of the first along with MD and Dusk to mention them... but I hope your right Dusk in that people will just have low expectations and be blown away. I mean we've barely seen anything the game has to offer and that's on purpose, they want to keep the surprises in store and if there is one thing Mikami has always done, is had some great ideas, batttles, etc. Though the way people are talking about it, I'm starting to feel a bit crazy for having so much enthusiams for it. It's sort of a buzz kill.

I feel like with the way people are reacting to it, they indeed don't want a more classic style of suvival horror to come back. It's the first big horror game that's been produced in while and people scoff at it like it's crap.

I understand, I was in the same boat waiting for it, but so many being so negative towards it that it can sizzle out some of your own excitement as you can't really talk about it without many bringing in their expectations and overwhelming eh-ness to the game right now. Am I wrong in being excited, will this be shit and I just don't see it?

But I am convinced a lot more will be pleasantly surprised when they play it. By how much, if it will do well critically, and so on is to be seen. But I am now in the position to sit back and wait to play it and see how people's opinions will probably change in 6-7 weeks from now. In my hopes, from good reviews and gamer response. In maybes, the game getting mixed reception and people taking this as affirmation the game isn't great but then people playing it and telling others the game is good, underrated and another example of critics bein dumb. That one sounds likely, but I can be hopeful.

I mean, if Shadows of the Damned can review as it did... (I liked SotD, but it has a lot of flaws and questionable decisions and sort of sloppiness feeling to it, but a lot of style).

Is this something I should be watching?
It's pretty okay to good. It's a B-horror film, I feel it may be one source of inspiration of many for The Evil Within. Some of the imagey is similar, and I'm thinking maybe the main force in the film might be an inspiration for Ruvik, maybe.

Dagon had large Spanish crowds chasing our main character. the main character jumping out of windows and pushing bookshelves to block the Spanish mobs, and then tentacles sprouting from the Spanish people. I think The Prison may be like Dagon to RE4, inspired by some but very different, as what I mentioned above about Dagon is really the only sort of stuff RE4 and the film had in common, the rest of it was very different.

Dusk Golem

Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks.
I'll be curious of what you think of it. It's an okay to good movie, has a lot of classic cult horror story actors in it, B-movie-ish, and I think the main connection is imagey as it's very different from what we've seen of TEW, but I thought the film was enjoyable enough and curious to see if some more visual stuf makes it's way into the game.

Speaking of which, who's making the OT?
_Nemesis

I'm thinking of the film The Prison outside of the obvious TEW stuff, but guessing I missed the reference. XD;

I still am keeping my eyes out for The Prison references and similarities in Evil Within. I do not take it as coincidence the boxart for TEW is similar to the Japanese boxart for The Prison.

the-evil-within-box-art.jpg

IMG_6210.png

Which is pulled from one of the most famous scenes from the film.

prison-1988-movie-5.jpg

And the inventory screen looks a lot like the alternative art for the film (a blue skull facing forward flashes before the screen opens up and loiters the background of the inventory).

Picture.png

And some other stuff in the film. I don't expect a carbon copy, RE4 I am convinced took a lot of inspiration from the 2000 Spanish horror film, Dagon, but only inspired by, very different in what they do and how they handle it and go with only some noticeable similar elements.
ha ha it was mainly a reference from the games cover art, but dang if The Prison doesn't look like the next film i'm watching, thanks for the heads up, I LOVE b-movie horror with practical effects!

Korigama

I understand, I was in the same boat waiting for it, but so many being so negative towards it that it can sizzle out some of your own excitement as you can't really talk about it without many bringing in their expectations and overwhelming eh-ness to the game right now. Am I wrong in being excited, will this be shit and I just don't see it?
To be honest, I think Bethesda could stand to do a better job of how they promote the game, primarily when it comes to gameplay demonstrations. Personally, I wasn't all that excited to find out more and pick the game up for myself until I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPot-AwdkKE

Dusk Golem

To be honest, I think Bethesda could stand to do a better job of how they promote the game, primarily when it comes to gameplay demonstrations. Personally, I wasn't all that excited to find out more and pick the game up for myself until I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPot-AwdkKE
For me it's when I played it at PAX. I really don't know how reviews will go, or how the whole game will go, but the segment I played I enjoyed a whole lot, and has sold me completely on the game.

I feel the demo would be a smart idea for them to do. But I also feel people's tones on the game will change in the next 6-8 weeks.

I think people are expecting a full-on action-game, or a mediocre lazily designed game, or a game with an identity crisis. I think TEW is none of these things, it is a survival game, the design in game is very tight and deliberate from what I've played, and I think it knows very well what it wants to be.

Mikami has done a good job describing the game in interviews, but I think people are so used to not believing interviews that they don't realize how true he has been in explainig his own game. He seems to know completely what sort of game he is directing.

dreamfall

That video brought the hype! In heavy doses! I actually had only seen the motion capture video for Re-bone Laura, and it was pretty fucking scary in how they were translating it into the game. I'm really excited for Mikami's return, just trying to debate which platform to get it on.

I find that the Kb/M offers a level a precision I always feel most skilled with, but my PS4 library is sorely lacking. Either way, the excitement to play this right before Halloween just has gotten me in high spirits!

BRING THE HORROR! BRING THE PAIN! Great video!

wildfire

Banned
That was a great preview. Teases enough without spoiling much. I'm hyped but now I'm concerned what my system requirements will be.

antitrop

Just like the other Bethesda published title of 2014 that isn't The Elder Scrolls Online.

For me it's when I played it at PAX. I really don't know how reviews will go, or how the whole game will go, but the segment I played I enjoyed a whole lot, and has sold me completely on the game.

I feel the demo would be a smart idea for them to do. But I also feel people's tones on the game will change in the next 6-8 weeks.

I think people are expecting a full-on action-game, or a mediocre lazily designed game, or a game with an identity crisis. I think TEW is none of these things, it is a survival game, the design in game is very tight and deliberate from what I've played, and I think it knows very well what it wants to be.

Mikami has done a good job describing the game in interviews, but I think people are so used to not believing interviews that they don't realize how true he has been in explainig his own game. He seems to know completely what sort of game he is directing.

Those people probably haven't played REmake (seeing it was only beloved game by a small GCN audience), or Vanquish (loved by many, still a cult classic type of game).

If they had played REmake or Vanquish, even RE4 - these people would understand Mikami is brilliant and his only real misstep was PN03.

I have high, high hopes for Mikami's TEW - if anybody can masterclass survival horror game design, he can. Hell, he created RE and birthed Survival Horror into the mainstream gaming genre lexicon.

All of those people in the huge thread about REmake Remaster:

Mikami directed that. He recreated RE1 in such a gruesome and beautifully chilling way. RE1 is a pale shadow of REmake. He changed action gaming, through RE4.

I don't get why people are doubting TEW heavily?

He even has artists from REmake assisting the game...

Those people probably haven't played REmake (seeing it was only beloved game by a small GCN audience), or Vanquish (loved by many, still a cult classic type of game).

If they had played REmake or Vanquish, even RE4 - these people would understand Mikami is brilliant and his only real misstep was PN03.

I have high, high hopes for Mikami's TEW - if anybody can masterclass survival horror game design, he can. Hell, he created RE and birthed Survival Horror into the mainstream gaming genre lexicon.

Mikami directed that. He recreated RE1 in such a gruesome and beautifully chilling way. RE1 is a pale shadow of REmake. He changed action gaming, through RE4.

All I see is comments like, "gonna suck", "looks medicocre", "I don't play bad games" , etc. It's a bit ridiculous. I cross my fingers it comes out and just surprising the hell out of everyone!

Korigama

The fact that I have such a high opinion of Mikami thanks to games like RE4, God Hand, and Vanquish yet doubted TEW was something that bothered me for quite some time. For me, this was the problem.
I used to believe the bolded specifically thanks to how Bethesda had been promoting material from the game. I didn't have a clear understanding of just what TEW was or was trying to be, and it gave me the impression that it could be a misstep. I'm not surprised that some still have reservations about the game for the same reason, as the preview video created by the OP has done a much better job of contextualizing the experience than the game's publisher has so far.

Dusk Golem

There's people on this project who come from a number of Mikani's older projects and survival-horror games of the past. People who worked on the older RE games/RE4, some people who worked on Haunting Ground, some people from Platinum Games who worked on Vanquish, some people from Grashopper Manufacturer who worked on Michigan: Reprt From Hell, Killer7, and Shadows of the Damned. And some fresh blood in there as well.

I think honesty part of the down-ness for the game comes from being burned on previous shoulder-behind horror games, and Bethesda early marketing decisions with the title, but it will probably remain prevalent until the game is in people's hands, or more people play it and love it and spread the word.

No problem mate. What store are you attending?

Hammersmith. Next week will be fun. :D

Just like the other Bethesda published title of 2014 that isn't The Elder Scrolls Online.

It will be funny if Bethesda publishes two of the best games of 2014. Finally, idTech5 will have a decent legacy.

All I see is comments like, "gonna suck", "looks medicocre", "I don't play bad games" , etc. It's a bit ridiculous. I cross my fingers it comes out and just surprising the hell out of everyone!

It's ridiculous how every Resi thread gets huge and is filled with people complaining about the series losing its way, yet Evil Within is made specifically for those people by Mikami's own studio, with a healthy amount of backing from Bethesda and freedom to make a challenging survival horror and people aren't more excited. I have no doubt this will be a very good game if not a classic.

I also don't think Bethesda did a good job showing this game off. I mean really sloppily recorded video of PewDiePie playing it is not the best way to get a first impression. The Pete Hines video was a step in the right direction, but even then I hoped they could have got someone who worked on the game to play through the demo showing the systems and actually playing the game competently.

Also, thanks to Dusk Golem - I just ordered this

Can't wait to get a few friends around and watch it.

Andrew.

Banned
So I hadnt seen any footage of this game until now and I just watched the video. Excellent work Slasher. The game looks great to me. Welcome back Mikami. Hot damn.

Now I think I am going to take off work for this. I dont want to encounter that spider woman while Im playing in a dark room. Nope.

So I hadnt seen any footage of this game until now and I just watched the video. Excellent work Slasher. The game looks great to me. Welcome back Mikami. Hot damn.

Now I think I am going to take off work for this. I dont want to encounter that spider woman while Im playing in a dark room. Nope.

LOL do it! As for what was shown in the video and the information Dusk has provided. I feel will still haven't seen anything yet :D

mattp

i've been kind of avoiding info on this so i could go blind and just hoping it ended up good
but man, i am so psyched watching little bits of this. the rooms/wallpaper in the asylum are straight out of re1. and save rooms! fuckkk
i really hope this feels like classic re. i mean, obviously the controls and upgrades are more in the re4 vein. but the environment, puzzles, and progression look more like re1

mikami don't let me down

i've been kind of avoiding info on this so i could go blind and just hoping it ended up good
but man, i am so psyched watching little bits of this. the rooms/wallpaper in the asylum are straight out of re1. and save rooms! fuckkk
i really hope this feels like classic re. i mean, obviously the controls and upgrades are more in the re4 vein. but the environment, puzzles, and progression look more like re1

mikami don't let me down

It's surprising what a nice little bit of contructed info and videos can do for a game. Seems to be the case for lots of people. Glad to see another person pumped for the game.

-MD-

p6FKa1a.png

And done, I feel a sense of relief. I was holding off my preorder because I had credit there and am otherwise pretty broke atm.

Got it for about 4 bucks. Also bought the season pass so I'm all set.

p6FKa1a.png

And done, I feel a sense of relief. I was holding off my preorder because I had credit there and am otherwise pretty broke atm.

Got it for about 4 bucks. Also bought the season pass so I'm all set.

So much evil, so litle price. That's a great deal! Now you are prepared! Now we wait...

Haven't watched the video yet, will when I get the chance, but I'm getting pretty pumped about the game after reading the impressions. Will likely be playing the PS3 version myself. Just hoping the performance in it doesn't suffer too much in comparison to the other versions.

Top Bottom