• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |Book Series OT| Doors and corners, kid [SPOILERS]

Welcome to the OT for The Expanse series of novels by James S. A. Corey! This is a separate thread from the OT for the live-action adaptation airing on Syfy Channel for us book readers.

If you're a TV show watcher wandering into here, be aware this thread will have spoilers for the book series up until Babylon's Ashes, the latest release. Publisher blurbs for the books in this OP will be UNMARKED (except for Persepolis Rising, which will be spoiler tagged until the book releases).

---------------------------

About the Author
James S. A. Corey is the pen name used by collaborators Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. Daniel Abraham is already an established author with several titles under his belt, while Ty Franck worked as a personal assistant to George R. R. Martin.

Main Books in The Expanse:

Leviathan Wakes [June 15, 2011]
Nir6b1Gg.jpg

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, the Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to the Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

Caliban's War [June 26, 2012]
pFvgHWb.jpg

On Ganymede, breadbasket of the outer planets, a Martian marine watches as her platoon is slaughtered by a monstrous supersoldier. On Earth, a high-level politician struggles to prevent interplanetary war from reigniting. And on Venus, an alien protomolecule has overrun the planet, wreaking massive, mysterious changes and threatening to spread out into the solar system.

In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun…

Abaddon's Gate [June 4, 2013]
o7X3Uno.jpg

For generations, the Sol system – Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt – was humanity's great frontier. Until now. The alien artifact working through its program under the clouds of Venus has appeared in Uranus's orbit, where it has built a massive gate that leads to a starless space beyond.

Jim Holden and the crew of the Rocinante are part of a vast flotilla of scientific and military ships going out to examine the artifact. But behind the scenes, a complex plot is unfolding, with the destruction of Holden at its core. As the emissaries of the human race try to find whether the gate is an opportunity or a threat, the greatest danger is the one they brought with them.

Cibola Burn [June 17, 2014]
jxvkuCq.jpg

“An empty apartment, a missing family, that’s creepy. But this is like finding a military base with no one on it. Fighters and tanks idling on the runway with no drivers. This is bad juju. Something wrong happened here. What you should do is tell everyone to leave.”

The gates have opened the way to a thousand new worlds and the rush to colonize has begun. Settlers looking for a new life stream out from humanity’s home planets. Ilus, the first human colony on this vast new frontier, is being born in blood and fire.

Independent settlers stand against the overwhelming power of a corporate colony ship with only their determination, courage, and the skills learned in the long wars of home. Innocent scientists are slaughtered as they try to survey a new and alien world. The struggle on Ilus threatens to spread all the way back to Earth.

James Holden and the crew of his one small ship are sent to make peace in the midst of war and sense in the midst of chaos. But the more he looks at it, the more Holden thinks the mission was meant to fail.

And the whispers of a dead man remind him that the great galactic civilization that once stood on this land is gone. And that something killed it.

Nemesis Games [June 2, 2015]
FvfhtgA.jpg

A thousand worlds have opened, and the greatest land rush in human history has begun. As wave after wave of colonists leave, the power structures of the old solar system begin to buckle.

Ships are disappearing without a trace. Private armies are being secretly formed. The sole remaining protomolecule sample is stolen. Terrorist attacks previously considered impossible bring the inner planets to their knees. The sins of the past are returning to exact a terrible price.

And as a new human order is struggling to be born in blood and fire, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante must struggle to survive and get back to the only home they have left.

Babylon's Ashes [December 6, 2016]
SivsmHv.jpg

A revolution brewing for generations has begun in fire. It will end in blood.

The Free Navy – a violent group of Belters in black-market military ships – has crippled the Earth and begun a campaign of piracy and violence among the outer planets. The colony ships heading for the thousand new worlds on the far side of the alien ring gates are easy prey, and no single navy remains strong enough to protect them.

James Holden and his crew know the strengths and weaknesses of this new force better than anyone. Outnumbered and outgunned, the embattled remnants of the old political powers call on the Rocinante for a desperate mission to reach Medina Station at the heart of the gate network.

But the new alliances are as flawed as the old, and the struggle for power has only just begun. As the chaos grows, an alien mystery deepens. Pirate fleets, mutiny, and betrayal may be the least of the Rocinante’s problems. And in the uncanny spaces past the ring gates, the choices of a few damaged and desperate people may determine the fate of more than just humanity.

Persepolis Rising [December 5, 2017]
Mf11JX5.jpg

In the thousand-sun network of humanity's expansion, new colony worlds are struggling to find their way. Every new planet lives on a knife edge between collapse and wonder, and the crew of the aging gunship Rocinante have their hands more than full keeping the fragile peace.

In the vast space between Earth and Jupiter, the inner planets and belt have formed a tentative and uncertain alliance still haunted by a history of wars and prejudices. On the lost colony world of Laconia, a hidden enemy has a new vision for all of humanity and the power to enforce it.

New technologies clash with old as the history of human conflict returns to its ancient patterns of war and subjugation. But human nature is not the only enemy, and the forces being unleashed have their own price. A price that will change the shape of humanity -- and of the Rocinante -- unexpectedly and forever.

Book 8 [TBA 2018]

Book 9 [TBA 2019]

The Expanse Novellas and Short Stories [eBooks unless otherwise specified]:

The Butcher of Anderson Station [October 17, 2011]
One day, Colonel Fred Johnson will be hailed as a hero to the system. One day, he will meet a desperate man in possession of a stolen spaceship and a deadly secret and extend a hand of friendship. But long before he became the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance, Fred Johnson had a very different name. The Butcher of Anderson Station.

This is his story.

Gods of Risk [September 15, 2012]
As tension between Mars and Earth mounts, and terrorism plagues the Martian city of Londres Nova, sixteen-year-old David Draper is fighting his own lonely war. A gifted chemist vying for a place at the university, David leads a secret life as a manufacturer for a ruthless drug dealer. When his friend Leelee goes missing, leaving signs of the dealer’s involvement, David takes it upon himself to save her. But first he must shake his aunt Bobbie Draper, an ex-marine who has been set adrift in her own life after a mysterious series of events nobody is talking about.

The Churn [April 29, 2014]
Before his trip to the stars, before the Rocinante, Amos Burtons was confined to a Baltimore where crime paid you or killed you. Unless the authorities got to you first.

Drive [July 9, 2015]
A prequel short story that can be read for free here.

The Vital Abyss [November 15, 2015]
Somewhere in the vast expanse of space, a group of prisoners lives in permanent captivity.

The only company they have is each other and the Belters who guard them. The only stories they know are the triumphs and crimes that brought them there. The only future they see is an empty life in an enormous room.

And then the man from Mars came along . . .

Strange Dogs [July 18, 2017]
Like many before them, Cara and her family ventured through the gates as scientists and researchers, driven to carve out a new life and uncover the endless possibilities of the unexplored alien worlds now within reach.
But soon the soldiers followed and under this new order Cara makes a discovery that will change everything.

If you're into them, all novels and novellas have been released as audio books. Jefferson Mays is the narrator for all novels (except Cibola Burn) and the novella The Vital Abyss. Erik Davies is the narrator for Cibola Burn and the first two novellas that were released (Gods of Risk and The Churn).

Official sites:
http://www.jamessacorey.com/

If you need a quick recap of any of the first five books, this will get you covered. (courtesy of lightus)

Cool, an OT for the Books.

I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Cibola Burn, and enjoying the series so far. I only actually picked this up after watching the first season of the TV show, and I'm glad I have. It's been a while since I've gotten this invested in a series.

Waxy

Awesome OT, I love this series. Just recently finished reading Babylon's Ashes a few weeks ago and can't wait for the next one.

Random side note, I think Cibola Burns might be my favorite of the bunch, that one was so good imo. Great PoV characters.

So its been confirmed now its a 9 book series, not 10? For some reason I thought it was gonna be 10.

Read Babylons Ashes right before season 2 started, wasn't that impressed with it. I guess its nice it wrapped up the OPA wars storyline, but honestly I just want them to get the fuck on with the big bad aliens storyline - it felt like up till book 5 or so that every book "expanded" the universe one step, to reveal a worse situation waiting in the wings but 5 & 6 just focused back on our solar system.

Also curious to learn what the fuck is going on with that Mars group that went out and is now building ships and stuff, I thought they were taken over by some alien intelligence or something based on how ahead they seem to be tech wise.

I honestly enjoy the TV series more than the book, which is a bit shallow in the writing and so many chapters spent on things that end up being completely superfluous. Still, without the books I think the TV shows wouldn't be as interesting. The shorts especially have been fantastic.

The suckiest thing is that I have zero hope that the show will continue on for 7 or 8 seasons, I'm dreading a cancellation this season but hoping for maybe one or two more years of the show. I just don't see how it can last past that. Oh well, at least the story can be wrapped up with the books and maybe they can make movies in the future.

If you didn't know the concept for the book series was originally an MMO ala World of Warcraft, pretty crazy right.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/...n-of-james-s-a-coreys-space-epic-the-expanse/

(spoilers about book 3-4 below this)
I also really, really, really wonder about ghost Miller on the show, or will another actor like Avasarala's spy or the spy that Holden's crew bunked with for a while replace him? I'd love ghost Miller with hat talking to Holden, but I wonder if its a role Thomas Jane would want.

I'm only 35% into Leviathan Wakes, but I'm having to force myself to pick it up... Could be because I'm up-to-date on the show, which I love.

I've read everything but Babylon's Ashes, to include all the novellas. Don't overlook those, especially the Churn! So damn good.

I'm enjoying the show, too. Great universe.

Jackpot

Banned
Also on Cibola Burn. Not especially feeling it. So much devoted to yet another misguided band of semi-terrorists trying to scratch a living in some piece of dirt whilst they fuck up all these amazing and important discoveries around them.

I mean, what are the odds of Holden & co yet again running into a carbon copy of Captain Ash's character? Just nuke them and get on with the important alien stuff.

Thanks for the praise, guys. It's my first OT so if something seems lacking or if there's something you want me to put in the OP, let me know.

Very cool. Thanks for the thread!

By the way, finding in depth plot overviews for the books are pretty difficult for some reason.

This is what I've been using to catch myself back up before starting a new book:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/5fqk03/summaries_books_i_v/

Thanks for that. I'll add that to the OP.

danthefan

Making my way through book three at the moment. I burned through the first two, really enjoyed them. Will probably take a break after the third and read something else instead but yeah, these are awesome.

I enjoyed Babylon's Ashes.
I understand how books 5 and 6 can be seen as a step back for the ever expanding scope of the universe, but I found they made a lot of sense, considering how the events of books 3 and 4 made the Mars terraforming project and the Belt pretty irrelevant in the long run. So, the authors had to deal with that anyway. Plus, it's still spectacular in its own way.

I half expect
Inaros to show up some time later, as we don't know what happens to these ships absorbed by the gates.

I hope the next book goes all in on finally explaining who the unseen bad guys are, the ones who were bad enough to
eradicate the protomolecule creators.

Chris R

Local library only has two copies of the first book, both checked out :(

Wish it wasn't so expensive on Amazon. Might hit up the used book store to see if there are copies there.

Awesome, an OT to keep book talk separate from the show chatter.

I've finished all the main books and have the novellas on my To-Read List.

Personally I think that Nemesis Games was my favorite. I really enjoyed the looks into their back stories, especially Amos's.

Tizoc

I jave all 3 books but hadnt read them yet
Once i finish my eisenhorn trilogy reading ill start it

KeRaSh

Currently stuck on Abaddon's Gate. Not because I don't like it but I have too many distractions. I can only really read books when I'm on vacation so I'll probably finish this in June.
Will pick up the next book the second I'm done with this.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Babylon's Ashes was good.
I find every book starts rough, but gets rolling around 20-30% and keeps getting better until the end.

It's just that it drops a lot of previously unknown characters as PoVs and.. you're "What?" for their first 3-4 chaps.

Babylon's Ashes was good.
I find every book starts rough, but gets rolling around 20-30% and keeps getting better until the end.

It's just that it drops a lot of previously unknown characters as PoVs and.. you're "What?" for their first 3-4 chaps.

I'm at the 30% mark with Babylon's Ashes and struggling a bit to continue. I know it'll pick up so hopefully I'll finish soon. This is definitely a fair assessment of the series as a whole.

It's been years but I'm still stupidly bitter about Miller. For some reason I just can't get over it.

lt519

Thanks for making an OT! Nice job! We've talked about it before but weren't sure if there was enough interest.

Parahan

Reading book 2, does anyone else think Holden & crew is boring af and they shouldn't have
killed miller
?

Nice OT. I'm 2 books behind (I only buy the large size paperbacks) but I subscribed.

This is my favorite sci-fi series, period. They are such a joy to read.

Reading book 2, does anyone else think Holden & crew is boring af and they shouldn't have
killed miller
?

The rest of the crew will grow on you, I promise. Particularly Amos and Alex (and Bobbie). Although, as you can tell by my posts, I'm still salty about Miller.

killed miller
?
They will grow on you. I wasn't keen on Amos for a while but now he's one of my favorite characters.

I like that they
killed Miller. It was a surprise twist that was as effective as it was sad and frustrating, because his character was excellent.

Halfway through Babylon's Ashes now.

Holy shit I did not expect
Fred to die like that. Stroking out during that battle :/

I just got to this point, too.
RIP. :( Didn't really expect it either but I probably should have since they made a point of mentioning how tired he was and how he'd been awake for 30+ hours. I'm just glad it wasn't Amos or Alex. I would have thrown something.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I started reading Leviathan Wakes a few months ago. Really enjoyed the writing style and the characters, but I stopped after
it seemed that the weird zombiefying goo is going to become a major plot point in the series. Namely, the scene where multiple people in the space station were turned into zombies (it was a while ago, don't remember the details)
. It was just too gross for me.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if I should just power through this segment and keep reading or are my worries justified and it just gets worse?

DieH@rd

Banned
I started reading Leviathan Wakes a few months ago. Really enjoyed the writing style and the characters, but I stopped after
it seemed that the weird zombiefying goo is going to become a major plot point in the series. Namely, the scene where multiple people in the space station were turned into zombies (it was a while ago, don't remember the details)
. It was just too gross for me.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if I should just power through this segment and keep reading or are my worries justified and it just gets worse?

Power through it,
that subplot is resolved by the end of the 1st book, and recently also in Expanse TV show.

I think I have read all the books, really like the series as a whole though I am kinda losing interest with the last few books. Kinda feel the story doesn't have anywhere to go, the writing is fine.

Was really happy when the tv series came out, thought it was great though some things felt simplified compared to the book when it came to motivations and such. Still waiting for season two to turn up on my countries Netflix.

Finished Babylon's Ashes.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Love how
Marco died like a bitch. No glorious death for you.

Also nice that it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

Well, time to wait for Persepolis Rising.

Amazon updated their release date for Persepolis Rising. It's saying November 7, 2017. A few other places have the same date so, barring a delay, just a few more months to go.

KeRaSh

So I just finished book 3 last week and started reading book 4.
Quick question because I'm not sure I remember correctly:

(Spoiler about the first few chapters of book 4 and asking about stuff that happened in book 1 and season 1 of the TV series)

Is Miller's old partner from the first book appearing again in book 4? Not sure I remembered the name right but I thought it rang a bell. Also didn't they kill that character in season 1 of the show? I remember being pissed about it being different than in the books. How are they going to solve that problem if they make it that far with the TV show?

arkon

Amazon updated their release date for Persepolis Rising. It's saying November 7, 2017. A few other places have the same date so, barring a delay, just a few more months to go.

Could just be an updated placeholder date. If it was official I'm sure we would have heard from the authors about it by now.

Atruvius

(Spoiler about the first few chapters of book 4 and asking about stuff that happened in book 1 and season 1 of the TV series)

Is Miller's old partner from the first book appearing again in book 4? Not sure I remembered the name right but I thought it rang a bell. Also didn't they kill that character in season 1 of the show? I remember being pissed about it being different than in the books. How are they going to solve that problem if they make it that far with the TV show?

Yeah, that's him. Didn't he survive in the show? I remember there being a scene with him in a hospital or something after the attack?

Read the series for the first time a month back or so and it was great. I was totally hooked and read them all after one another. I should watch season one again now that I've read the books. I remember disliking Holden in the show, he seemed kind of assholish unlike in the books.

Carn82

I'm pretty sure they'll just invent a new character for that, or maybe merge his actions in an existing character (or one we have yet to meet in the TV series

KeRaSh

Yeah, that's him. Didn't he survive in the show? I remember there being a scene with him in a hospital or something after the attack?

Read the series for the first time a month back or so and it was great. I was totally hooked and read them all after one another. I should watch season one again now that I've read the books. I remember disliking Holden in the show, he seemed kind of assholish unlike in the books.

Really? It looked quite... fatal but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.
I agree with the portrayal of Holden in the show. The book version is unquestionably superior. I'm fine with the other characters, though. Will have to watch season 2 soon. Book 2 was probably my favorite so far and I really liked Bobby as a character. Hopefully she's represented well in the show.

Morat

Banned
I enjoyed the first few novels, although they do resort to cliche more than is healthy. Babylon's Ashes got on my nerves very quickly though, and I stopped reading it. He had clearly run out of ideas.

Edit - actually, he had run out of ideas by Cibola Burn, the plot of which is a retread and nothing much happens, despite a potentially interesting setting.

Paganmoon

Since it's finally available on Netflix, I've caught up

Didn't want to drop a spoiler, even behind a tag, in the other thread, so here I am.

Really hoping they go all the way with the Julie and Clarissa looking alike aspect from the books, and cast Florence Favire for Clarissa (if we get that far, and if they adapt it like that).

They're also dropping lots of hints about the events of Nemesis games aren't they?

Laekon

I read the first 3 as they came out but then stopped. Do the later books keep up in quality? Most series always seem to really drop off after 2 or 3 books.

Morts

I read books 1-3 really quickly and decided to take a break before Cibola Burn. It feels weird, starting the books after watching the show and now being way ahead of the show.

Top Bottom