• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fans Have Inherited the Film Industry — and It's a Problem for the Rest of Us

Nerdkiller

Membeur
horizontal_split_1296_730_preta.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fans-have-inherited-film-industry-a-problem-rest-us-guest-column-1015340

Inkoo Kang said:
For filmgoers (and critics) who don't keep up with every Marvel project, are only casual 'Star Wars' fans or missed the Harry Potter train, mainstream movie culture has become frustratingly exclusionary.

Movies were once inviting. Ticket-holders didn’t need to skim Wikipedia entries before getting in their car because they could follow a story from the start to its end. Sure, sequels and remakes have been around for more than a century, but the past decade has seen their takeover of the multiplex (in most of America, the only kind of theater around) — and a corresponding rise in the exclusionary nature of mainstream film culture.

As the media and entertainment industries continue to fragment, blockbusters like Wonder Woman and Get Out have remained one of the few cultural products we can all watch and discuss (and argue about) together. And so there’s something enormously dispiriting about the current transformation of our public square into a clubhouse, where the bar for entry gets higher with each new franchise installment. Disney’s not marching anyone into MCU Summer School at gunpoint — but viewers who don’t keep up with Marvel’s annual output (three features this year) are at risk of being confused when they do drop into the overstuffed “cinematic universes,” or of being shut out of a significant chunk of pop culture altogether.

But today’s fan-centric culture is a raw deal for the rest of us. The long-running complaints against franchise culture — especially regarding the studios’ self-repetition — are thoroughly earned. Wonder Woman, The Fast and the Furious movies and the Star Wars episodes The Force Awakens and Rogue One are some examples of how greater gender, racial and LGBTQ inclusion has breathed some new air into familiar universes (while garnering some heartwarming PR). The passionate reaction to Wonder Woman, especially the tear-eliciting scenes of women in combat, has proven the need for a superheroine film. But for all its virtues, Patty Jenkins’ movie looks and feels a lot like every other comic-book adaptation. And as welcome as Rey’s ascendance as The Chosen One is in The Force Awakens, the installment is practically a beat-for-beat facsimile of A New Hope, the original Star Wars movie. “Franchise fatigue” may or may not be real, but there’s no question that the prevailing sequel/remake/spinoff trend has pushed original ideas in studio filmmaking to the margins.

Just as dismal is the reality that the industry is essentially training us in how to be entertained. The Marvel Cinematic Universe, for example, has created a new kind of viewer: One that searches for connective narrative tissue from film to film across what is planned to be dozens of features. Again, if you enjoy that particular way of engaging with a franchise, that’s great. But Disney evidently hopes to make casual fans into (possibly grudging) devotees. One of Spider-Man: Homecoming’s main draws is its relatively fresh starting point. But the studio’s ambition is for a casual Spider-Fan to eventually check out all six of the films in which Holland is contracted to play New York’s dorkiest swinger. And that’s just one filmic iteration of a single character.

The geeks have inherited the Earth with the maneuvering of the studios, and together they’ve put up a wall between the corporate-designed fandom and everybody else. If the wall has to be there, I wish the door to get through wasn’t so frustratingly high — and getting higher every few months. There’s definitely a lot of us out here. So why does it feel so lonely?
What say you, GAF? Because I do feel that it can be frustrating to an outsider, especially now that more studios are trying to capitalise on the Marvel formula of interconnected stories, easter eggs, and character focused cameos, to pay somewhat of a passing glance to a particular movie series. Particularly if it's also something that transcends multiple mediums like what Marvel's doing to TV, or the recently overhauled Star Wars extended universe (and what's being rumoured of Bond)...though I think I'm just going a bit off topic at this point, but I do consider it a symptom of the problem in question.

You go with what sells. No different than like say the 90s where it was basically a bunch of near mindless action movies left and right. Just now said action movies star people in tights.

I love the MCU but completely agree with the sentiment of this article. I think a large reason guardians of the galaxy resonates with so many people is how self contained it's been so far.

I don't know when/if there will be a noticeable backlash, but it'll probably be after a series of misfires from multiple franchises lacking the ubiquity of marvel superheroes or Star Wars.

Poppy

i am sure there is plenty of great standalone cinema out there, life isnt only about comic book movies

and star wars i guess, i forgot that we get like one of those a year now blah

100% accurate. My wife has no interest in going to movies anymore because she is completely lost with these films. Even I have to take notes sometimes and look shit up after the movie is over.

i am sure there is plenty of great standalone cinema out there, life isnt only about comic book movies

and star wars i guess, i forgot that we get like one of those a year now blah

There are arthouse films that come out sure but those are often not widely released until/if they get Oscar buzz.

jwk94

I agree with the OP though. There kinda are too many connected movies these days. It's great in some cases, but all these comic book movies don't need to be building toward something.

The best thing about Wonder Woman (and the Sony Spidey movies) was how accessible they are. You don't need to know about the larger universe to enjoy them. I mean, you don't even need to know who the characters are, really.

I love the MCU but completely agree with the sentiment of this article. I think a large reason guardians of the galaxy resonates with so many people is how self contained it's been so far.

I don't know when/if there will be a noticeable backlash, but it'll probably be after a series of misfires from multiple franchises lacking the ubiquity of marvel superheroes or Star Wars.

I think it resonates with people because it's a meme-friendly comedy.

Snaku

Banned
For the average filmgoer, I can see the problem I guess. But for critics? It's your job to watch movies. You can't squeeze in five or six superhero films a year into your indie circle jerk queue?

Briarios

There are so many films, and so much content being released, I have to disagree with the sentiment. It sounds like kvetching because the author isn't into what is popular.

zeemumu

It's not like past generations haven't attempted this exact same thing. They just either weren't as successful or failed miserably. But yeah I can get how this might be annoying to someone who just wants to watch a movie and not need to be concerned with continuity. That's what the Resident Evil series is for. You can jump in literally anywhere and it won't make a bit of difference because things very rarely carry over, and when they do they don't matter.

Ogodei

Action films used to be completely serialized and nobody complained. Writers who care about continuity are not the issue here.

Blader

These articles are always pathetic clickbait. If watching Star Wars and Marvel movies is too difficult for you, then watch something other than Star Wars and Marvel movies. There are more than four films released in any given year.

There are arthouse films that come out sure but those are often not widely released until/if they get Oscar buzz.

So aside from superheroes and Star Wars, your local movie theater is otherwise completely empty from March to October?

Boke1879

For the average filmgoer, I can see the problem I guess. But for critics? It's your job to watch movies. You can't squeeze in five or six superhero films a year into your indie circle jerk queue?

Superhero films aren't the only movies that come out. Not to mention there isn't one person watching all of these movies.

jwk94

They probably can, but that doesn't mean they like it. Having to take notes about a large universe can get tiring.

Never cared for Thanos. They keep plugging him as some kind of carrot so it removes a bit of what's supposed to be a whole story.

Also having a cinematic universe means you're allowed to critize inconsistencies from the other movies.

Vengal

How necessary is knowing some of this stuff though? If OG predator was a sequel to a movie that was filmed 10 years before covering the escapades of that squad does it diminish the enjoyment of the film for people who never saw it?

I'd say its more on the movie producers to treat every movie like its possibly someone's first experience with the property and make it a stand alone that is enhanced by additional media.

commedieu

Banned
I had no idea who iron man was. I just thought he was a lame looking dufus from a comic. Same with dr.strange. same with Harry potter.

Guess I just have the ability to pay attention to stories in a film.

Am I unique?

I think this speaks more to a problem of digital culture, you have the tools to spoil a movie or look up everything before you even live your life. Its so insane. I just read a synopsis and figure if that's good enough.

You don't have to be a slayven to be entertained by content. You just pick up on the shout outs to the fans.

As the media and entertainment industries continue to fragment, blockbusters like Wonder Woman and Get Out have remained one of the few cultural products we can all watch and discuss (and argue about) together.

That's a very biased premise to go off of.

To be more specific, why movies? Why not television? Or sports? Or video games? Or books? What makes movies so special, and why does it matter? Just because the writer said so?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i mean, the vast majority of blockbuster films are still one offs

just because the mcu and f&f have been super sucessful at creating this serialized story doesn't mean you need to follow every cinematic universe

having said that, i understand that the MCU is a MASSIVE investment at this point. to fully appreciate Civil War you need to watch like 10 movies

a916

I mean, it makes sense. I tried to get my parents to watch Civil War... then started to explain the MCU... then stopped lol. It's quite a bit of back story and investment for some people.

Tried the same thing with Force Awakens, that's way easier. A lot of these are almost being episodes in a longer narrative. You miss a few of them, I can totally see how people may be lost.

Most people who don't care about a franchise don't actually mind gong to see superhero movie #3 and enjoying it for what it is. It isn't like these aren't just big dumb action movies at heart.

film critics continue to be some of the most annoying people with a platform.

Oersted

You go with what sells. No different than like say the 90s where it was basically a bunch of near mindless action movies left and right. Just now said action movies star people in tights.

This is an explanation, not an excuse, the explanation is already given in the article and the article is actually about what it means for the rest not buying into it.

I think it resonates with people because it's a meme-friendly comedy.
The tea is that the Guardians have been allowed to develop on their own without the MCU trappings of connecting everything to the Avengers.

The comedy helps, yes. But the fact that the movies are largely self-contained within their own continuity helps a ton. The only movie you need to watch to fully enjoy GoTG2 is the first one for the climax of the film to really resonate with you.

On the other hand, for you to fully maximize your enjoyment for Civil War, you'd need to watch... several other films to see Cap and Iron Man's development up to that point.

LionPride

Banned
1. I disagree original ideas are pushed to the margins, that's not true and never has been

2. Talking specifically about the MCU over the last 9 years, there have been two movies released a year typically, one in the summer/spring and another in the fall. That's not a lot guys

cr0w

Old Member
Films are starting to go in the same direction that led to me getting out of comics. I shouldn't have to be familiar with what's going on in three other series and six separate one-shots to enjoy an event or story. It's not to the point that it's overwhelming yet, but the insistence on establishing a cinematic universe is eventually going to be detrimental.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'll give you the MCU unraveling in every direction being a good reason average audiences are going to skip Ant Man 3 and the like ... but where else is this really a problem? Harry Potter was an international phenomenon. Star Wars is Disney Universe big at this point. Everyone, EVERYONE knows the major DC characters.

Where is this a problem outside of the MCU? Where is this a problem outside of missing a few inside jokes in a few superhero films?

I'm not really buying this at all.

Palocca

I sort of agree with the sentiment, but there are still standalone movies being made. I mean, for this summer, you have Baby Driver, Dunkirk, and Atomic Blonde releasing in each month. It's just a matter of looking past the "blockbuster" marketed movies and being more aware of the movie release calendar.

lush

So the author is complaining about blockbusters and sequels? Things hardly seem all that different now in that regard and I promise you, non-Disney movies are released in 2k17.

Most people who don't care about a franchise don't actually mind gong to see superhero movie #3 and enjoying it for what it is. It isn't like these aren't just big dumb action movies at heart.

nah, you're just weirdly defensive, because they're otherwise very easy to ignore.

ryseing

The benefit of Netflix and Amazon investing heavily in content is that those sorts of movies are released worldwide now at all times of the year.

Cagey

Banned
I don't know.

I watched Birdman without watching 90% of other superhero movies and I understood what it was about just fine.

commedieu

Banned

This too. I've read a few glowing reviews of content which say "now I'm not a huge fan of character x. But the film was funny or x reasons, and sucked for these reasons."

Fans know when they're reading content that a fan is writing. It's always been this way.

Sunster

yea I feel like everything is a sequel or the beginning of a trilogy for an already established character like Spiderman. Stand-alones are more rare. Not an issue for me because I follow all the major series.

I know I talk about this series like every other post but I like how the MonsterVerse is handling it. Godzilla and Kong both have standalone movies that you don't need to know anything about to jump right in, and it's looking like it will just be a short 4 movie series that's spread apart, so far at least. I feel like I can't really jump into the Marvel or FF movies as easily.

jwk94

The tea is that the Guardians have been allowed to develop on their own without the MCU trappings of connecting everything to the Avengers.

The comedy helps, yes. But the fact that the movies are largely self-contained within their own continuity helps a ton. The only movie you need to watch to fully enjoy GoTG2 is the first one for the climax of the film to really resonate with you.

On the other hand, for you to fully maximize your enjoyment for Civil War, you'd need to watch... several other films to see Cap and Iron Man's development up to that point.
You have a really good point. I forgot Guardians was largely self-contained. Wasn't that because Guardians 1 took place before where we were in the other MCU movies at the time?

1. I disagree original ideas are pushed to the margins, that's not true and never has been

2. Talking specifically about the MCU over the last 9 years, there have been two movies released a year typically, one in the summer/spring and another in the fall. That's not a lot guys

When they all tie into each other it's a lot. That's 18 movies to watch before Infinity War.

milanbaros

Member?
The CU is great when the trajectory is one of quality and success but it will be a massive burden when the quality falters. There will be a bubble in CUs (Mummy?). MCU is getting towards 20 movies so it has been a big success.

Blader

I'll give you the MCU unraveling in every direction being a good reason average audiences are going to skip Ant Man 3 and the like ... but where else is this really a problem? Harry Potter was an international phenomenon. Star Wars is Disney Universe big at this point. Everyone, EVERYONE knows the major DC characters.

Where is this a problem outside of the MCU? Where is this a problem outside of missing a few inside jokes in a few superhero films?

I'm not really buying this at all.

It's not even an MCU problem, given as it's one of the biggest franchises of all time. You don't gross $12 billion off small niche crowds who are constantly plugged into Marvel Wikipedia pages. These movies have pretty clearly demonstrated crossover appeal with general audiences who, I imagine, are not terribly steeped in superhero (film or comic book) lore yet seem to return to and enjoy these movies over and over.

So aside from superheroes and Star Wars, your local movie theater is otherwise completely empty from March to October?

The overwhelming majority of popular movies now are part of franchises. MCU, DCEU, Star Wars, Fast and the Furious, X-Men, Pirates, Transformers, Minions, etc etc.

The benefit of Netflix and Amazon investing heavily in content is that those sorts of movies are released worldwide now at all times of the year.

No doubt. The premise of the article is about people actually going to theatres though.

I'm just tired of the superhero movies. Its great for people into that but it just gets tiring after awhile. I do want to see Guardian's of the Galaxy 2 but the rest I dont even really care anymore.

My brother was saying how there's a bunch of separate shows on Netflix that are interconnected and I should watch em, and I'm thinking "man I dont have time to watch all of this stuff, I'm having enough trouble sticking with one or two shows right now."

There are plenty of other movies besides the big tentpole franchises. I don't really get what people are complaining about.

Yep, the mainstream blockbuster movies get the mainstream blockbuster advertising. So if you're not actively seeking out alternatives you may think that's all that exists. I basically only go to chain theaters for Marvel movies these days. Smaller stuff and arthouse/indie films, I always keep up with my local arts theater to see what's playing and looks interesting.

a916

There are plenty of other movies besides the big tentpole franchises. I don't really get what people are complaining about.

Writer seems to be stating that these franchises, because of their episodic format, are asking for a larger initial investment from new comers that makes it feel exclusionary. I don't get what's so hard to understand about that concept. Which, on it's face value, is true.

The writer of the article is talking about those who haven't watched it and want to get in... it is a high barrier to ask from people.

Lol. No they haven't. Focus test groups still control everything.

The only difference now is that focus testing shows that a random character showing up and saying a bunch of nonsense in the after credit sequence of a movie gets people excited.

These movies still operate like normal sequels for the most part. It isn't like they are impossible to follow for anyone who hasn't seen every marvel movie going back to iron man or anything.

Top Bottom