• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FBI’s New U.S. Terrorist Threat: ‘Black Identity Extremists’

IrishNinja

source http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/06...ist-threat-and-its-black-identity-extremists/

Law enforcement calls it a violent movement. Critics call it racist.

As white supremacists prepared to descend on Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, the FBI warned about a new movement that was violent, growing, and racially motivated. Only it wasn’t white supremacists; it was “black identity extremists.”

Amid a rancorous debate over whether the Trump administration has downplayed the threat posed by white supremacist groups, the FBI’s counterterrorism division has declared that black identity extremists pose a growing threat of premeditated violence against law enforcement.

“The FBI assesses it is very likely Black Identity Extremist (BIE) perceptions of police brutality against African Americans spurred an increase in premeditated, retaliatory lethal violence against law enforcement and will very likely serve as justification for such violence,” reads the report, marked for official use only and obtained by Foreign Policy.

The August 2014 shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, was the catalyst for widespread anger and violence, the FBI report says, concluding that continued “alleged” police abuses have fueled more violence.

“The FBI assesses it is very likely incidents of alleged police abuse against African Americans since then have continued to feed the resurgence in ideologically motivated, violent criminal activity within the BIE movement,” the report states.

Yet those involved in the Black Lives Matter movement have voiced concerns about FBI surveillance.

DeRay McKesson, an activist involved in the Black Lives Matter movement, told FP that the FBI visited his house in the run-up to the Republican National Convention. “I spoke about the FBI visit to my house and the houses of other activists in our final meeting with [President Barack] Obama,” he said.

“There is a long tradition of the FBI targeting black activists and this is not surprising,” McKesson said.

The FBI declined to comment on the report itself and did not respond to specific questions, but in an emailed statement to FP, the bureau defended its tracking of “black identity extremists,” saying that “the FBI cannot initiate an investigation based solely on an individual’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or the exercise of First Amendment rights.”

more at the link - looks like COINTELPRO isn't so far behind us

"if you've ever wondered how you'd have done during the civil rights movement, now is your time to find out."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
"They won't just let us oppress and arbitrarily kill them as we see fit! Fucking terrorists!"

Vixdean

Welp, the folks who went after Hillary's emails for 2 years need a new witch hunt to waste taxpayer dollars on.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
But why would they give white supremacists and neo-nazis a pass, but target black activists groups?

Foreign Policy Article said:
Amid a rancorous debate over whether the Trump administration has downplayed the threat posed by white supremacist groups, the FBI’s counterterrorism division has declared that black identity extremists pose a growing threat of premeditated violence against law enforcement.

Ah... they "fear for their lives"... got it.

Movement

I mean, this isn't different from what the fbi has always been. white supremacist government institution used to silence minority voices.

2016 Dallas Police Shooting

Yeah doesn't surprise me the FBI is keeping tabs on this.

the report itself is here
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4067711-BIE-Redacted.html

Looking it over now.

edit 2:
". This assessment does not address BIEs who have attacked law enforcement officers during the course
of officers' routine duties, such as responding to calls and traffic stops, in which violent actions
were reactionary in nature."

edit 3: Finished. So basically looking at "Moorish sovereignty" groups, which I've never heard of, and how they're using "perceived" injustices against blacks to push their agenda. It doesn't actually include any recommendations for how to resolve the issue but I suppose that isn't the point. It's pretty pathetic to see the many weasel words around the "injustices" minorities face at the hands of law enforcement.

Confirmation that nothing has really changed. The ideas behind COINTELPRO still live on to this day.

And now they can force apple and Google to search your phone for them and feed them relevant information.

I bet we will find out in 50 years the government was keeping special tabs on specific minority groups in the US

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Wasn't one of the first things Cheetolini's DOJ did was to reduce focus on White Supremacist groups?

Yes, yes he did.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...amme-neo-nazi-counter-extremism-a7558796.html

Donald Trump's administration is reportedly pushing to erase neo-Nazis and white supremacists from the US government's counter-extremism programme by moving it to focus exclusively on Islamist terrorism.

So Muslims and Blacks are more of a concern than the group who had committed, and is considered the biggest domestic threat in the United States? Your bigotry is showing love.

RRockman

Banned
Lol, all these nazis are running around and the newest terrorist group the FBI is onto is black people?

It's too sick to be a joke

watershed

Banned
Show me the trend of so called black identity extremist groups turning to violence and plotting to kill other Americans. We already see it with white supremacists. Show me the receipts.

Breads

Banned
How can men of straw be a part of a movement.

How can imaginary effigies be on a terrorist threat list.

White people... get your shit together.

Fucking christ.

I wonder what they expect when they look at the statistics of police violence towards minorities.

“Guys if we keep killing them, they might start resisting our authority.”

The Kree

Banned
They're going to murder and/or incarcerate all the black activists and leave their kids stranded to form gangs like the Bloods and Crips in the aftermath of the Civil Rights movement in the 60's and then proceed to incarcerate and murder the kids as well.

I 100% believe that White America is perfectly content to just let this happen again.

Top Bottom