• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Finals open beta Oct 26

[Sigma]

How do I add friends to this game? I don't see an option anywhere, can't group up with friends
It should be right there in the menu. What are you playing on vs what they are playing on? Crossplay is turned off by default and you may have to search them by their emark id in the event of crossplay or in general(all this is just me guessing outside of the crossplay being turned off by default part).

jorgejjvr

It should be right there in the menu. What are you playing on vs what they are playing on? Crossplay is turned off by default and you may have to search them by their emark id in the event of crossplay or in general(all this is just me guessing outside of the crossplay being turned off by default part).
Both on PlayStation. We are both psn friends already, yet there was no place to invite my psn friend. No cross play

There was no place for me to type his the Finals username either. Are we missing something?

Last edited:

Puscifer

Aight, I think I just had my most fun matches in a mp shooter in a loonnnnnngggg time that wasn't from the Battlefield franchise. Getting more use to the traversing and gadgets I can pretty much use them on the fly anytime instinctively. I had teammates that absolutely knew what they were doing, they definitely had to be partied up. We had some setups going. Im going to show my bros this game and see if they're interested enough to try with me. We were just going to play Helldivers 2 together but this may also be something we could play. Looking to be my first f2p game that I actively play.

Also forgot that I had Victrix Pro BFG that I could use for shooters lol. Set my thumbsticks asymmetrically and mapped my slide and melee buttons to the paddles. Instant improvement. Definitely not using my DualSense for this anymore.
A lot of folks behind Bad Company 2 made this so it's good to know the actual FUN portion that's been missing from those games exist here again

[Sigma]

Both on PlayStation. We are both psn friends already, yet there was no place to invite my psn friend. No cross play

There was no place for me to type his the Finals username either. Are we missing something?
I went and check it myself just now since we are both on PlayStation and all of it is gone now for me. I think it's bugged. It was there earlier. I got curious so I turned on cross play and it let me try to add friends but the thing is I don't know anyone else's id(embark id) and I don't even see my own anymore lol. It just has my psn name. But yeah i think it bugged right now for PS5.

Last edited:

Hugare

I really wanted to enjoy this, but the time to kill is just ridiculous

You have to shoot the whole mag and then some. Dont know how they decided to leave it this way.

Visually, I was also expecting more. Lighting is good, but the environments, especially interiors are just so plain.

nikos

Just tried it out for a match. Not really a fan of that type of announcer in any game. The graphics are pretty nice and everything seems to be pretty nice overall too. Not feeling the bait of using DLSS 3 since a game like this needs the actual performance over the appearance of performance with laggier controls. Anyways, the gunplay seems okay overall but I would need more time. Not A fan of the main mode of the game though but I appreciate someone trying to release something new/different in this day and age.

Not using DLSS and consistently at my frame cap of 140 at 3840x1600 with max settings. Overall system latency is good too, considering how much eye candy there is.

Reading some of the comments, I had a real funny feeling that a lot of you wouldn't like this. It's not really anything like the trailers and the TTK is absolutely terrible. Spawn times are long and it just doesn't work well for me. I felt that way during the closed beta and it seems things haven't changed.

Varteras

Gold Member
Watched about an hour of this and spoke to a couple friends who played it. I don't see this game doing well. It seems to lack any significant hook to stand out in the crowd. I just don't think what's there will be enough to pull anyone away long enough to establish a solid playerbase. My guess is this game will be dead within two or three months of release. Of course, now that I've said this, the game will explode in popularity somehow.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I didn't enjoy it. It's not as fun as Apex, which was great right from the start. I think it's going to be a flop.

As for my other predictions:

Super Mario Wonder-82.
Alan Wake 2 -76

But I knew Fortnite and Apex will be a hit;)

jorgejjvr

A fix from Reddit if you can't add friends

wHAmSDH.png

Xtib81

Ttk is definitely too high in my opinion. You can't win a 1vs2 situation. Respawn time is also too long. Why would I want to spend 15 seconds watching my teammates ? Other than that,there's an interesting learning curve, you have lots of tools at your disposal and you should use them. People should stick to it for a bit imo. You also need to play teamplay which is quite interesting.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Game looks great visually, I missed destruction like this so much. I'd love to support the old BF devs, but I don't want to give any attention to Nexon just cause I really don't care for them. I agree though, that TTK looks really wack. I mean, basically a whole AK clip drops a person, that's pretty wild, lol.

Xtib81

Game looks great visually, I missed destruction like this so much. I'd love to support the old BF devs, but I don't want to give any attention to Nexon just cause I really don't care for them. I agree though, that TTK looks really wack. I mean, basically a whole AK clip drops a person, that's pretty wild, lol.

To my surprise, most people on Reddit praise the TTK.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Surprised at the pushback on the TTK and lengthy respawn times. They're both designed to get you to play with your team. It also rewards winning a fight as you're not likely to run into the same enemy running in on you during the current objective. Keeps things moving.

It's a lot like Overwatch in that you essentially have to group up before you engage.

It's still an Arena Shooter so it won't have legs, but of all the Arena Shooters out today, this one's the best.

Xtib81

Surprised at the pushback on the TTK and lengthy respawn times. They're both designed to get you to play with your team. It also rewards winning a fight as you're not likely to run into the same enemy running in on you during the current objective. Keeps things moving.

It's a lot like Overwatch in that you essentially have to group up before you engage.

It's still an Arena Shooter so it won't have legs, but of all the Arena Shooters out today, this one's the best.

Not really my type but yeah it definitely makes sense. Having low ttk and immediate respawns would likely break the game.

MiguelItUp

Not really my type but yeah it definitely makes sense. Having low ttk and immediate respawns would likely break the game.
Yeah, honestly it makes sense for the type of game it is. I just think it looks weird because of the type of gunplay it contains. The mechanics and all do make it look like it's more teammate centric like TF2 or Overwatch, along with the objectives. So that TTK is surely more fitting. I just think the majority have the initial reaction of the TTK looking strange because of that. The speed, aim down sights, and all.

Last edited:

DonF

Not only time to kill is way too long, but the damage drop off is ridiculous. So far I'm not liking this game and I was really hyped about it.
Also this open beta is way too buggy I return to the main menu from a game and I couldn't do anything and had to restart the game.

DonF

I played one round of it and instantly uninstalled. I did not like how that game felt at all. Needs some more work.
I had to tweak lots of the settings (I'm on ps5) to make it feel right. The dead zone default setting is way too high, and the sens on horizontal is waaay too low. I don't really know wtf they were thinking. Makes the game feel more sluggish than it already is.

nikos

TTK feels good to me. I've mostly been using the default AK and it kills fast. There are weapons with even shorter TTK. Aim for the head. You can't have a super fast TTK in a game like this. The balance would be thrown off.

I'd like to see slightly faster reload times to make fighting multiple enemies a little more manageable.

I hope this game succeeds but it has a difficult hill to climb. It sucks that gamers have come to accept that all that's left in the multiplayer shooter space is pretty much Fortnite, Apex, Valorant, and CoD.

I guess I still feel sour over the fact that Splitgate died right before the Halo fanbase finally decided that they were done with 343's bullshit.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It sucks that gamers have come to accept that all that's left in the multiplayer shooter space is pretty much Fortnite, Apex, Valorant, and CoD.
+Counter Strike, Insurgency, Battlefield, Rainbox Six, plus some military sims, and Xdefiant on the way. I think there are already a sufficient number of online FPS games. The biggest disadvantage of this game is that it seems like it won't be interesting enough among so many options.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I put in a good 4 hours in two different play sessions.

- This is Teamfight The Game. If you are not grouping up before you engage, you are a rat bastard.

- Playing with friends >>> playing with randos. Communicating with teammates gives you significant advantage.

- Game is really a mixture of Overwatch + Siege.

- Not sure about the destruction. It can get dumb chaotic at times.

I was ready to **** on this game but I'm having a surprising amount of fun. I could see it carving out a steady playerbase.

Zuzu

The default controller settings are really poor and I don’t feel like fiddling with them to make them right. It’s on the developers to have this game tuned to play well on console.

+Counter Strike, Insurgency, Battlefield, Rainbox Six, plus some military sims, and Xdefiant on the way. I think there are already a sufficient number of online FPS games. The biggest disadvantage of this game is that it seems like it won't be interesting enough among so many options.
I think your list needs to be updated. I’ll give you CS GO and possibly Tarkov, but games like Battlefield and Siege are on their last leg(yes I know Siege had a small player bump recently due to a streamer, but still). XDefiant remains to be seen and lastly I can’t comment on Insurgency because I haven’t seen enough of that game’s community.

There are a sufficient number of online FPS but it’s clear that a large quantity of the online playerbase are being funneled to the few most popular ones because that’s what people’s friends and friends of friends are playing. And yes, you can say “this is normal like in the past” but the difference is that those older games would allow for smaller communities to exist on their servers for years to come. 9 times out of 10 that isn’t allowed on today’s games and they’ll simply shut everything down within a year or so if a game doesn’t acquire giant playerbase numbers.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
9 times out of 10 that isn’t allowed on today’s games and they’ll simply shut everything down within a year or so if a game doesn’t acquire giant playerbase numbers.
Most of the games you mentioned are free-to-play and rely on active players' spending to survive. The fate of this game will likely be as you described. They are trying to be the next big thing but probably that's not gonna happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The really need to find a solution when a player leaves during the match, they're never replaced. It can easily ruin a game, it's not like we're 64 on the same server and you don't notice.
Yeah I played a game where all the other teams dropped before launch. It was actually ok at this point as I got to just run around testing out the destruction but would be lame normally.

Fbh

Played a few matches. The destruction is cool but these small team objective based PVP games just aren't for me. I only find them fun if I'm actually playing with 2 other people I know.

[Sigma]

The really need to find a solution when a player leaves during the match, they're never replaced. It can easily ruin a game, it's not like we're 64 on the same server and you don't notice.
Yeah they do need to address that. Funny enough, ive won all my matches(like 3 of them) in when someone for whatever reason dropped out on my team lol.

The default controller settings are really poor and I don’t feel like fiddling with them to make them right. It’s on the developers to have this game tuned to play well on console.
Yea it feels awful on controller with the default settings. Massive amount of input lag. Anyone have custom settings that feel good?

[Sigma]

I'm still tweaking the controls even now. I've had to do this in almost every Battlefield game from Bad company 1 to V. I didn't have to tweak it much in Battlefield 1 though. Battlefield Bad Company 2 and 3 felt like I took weeks to get a sweet spot. In this game I immediately turned dead zone to 0. Noticed I couldn't follow targets fast enough while ADS so ive had to increase the percentage multiple times already. I think im up to 60%. I kept my horizontal and vertical within 30pts of each other but bumped it up to 260 over 230. And haven't adjusted anything else other than the 1st 4 so far. I can see Embark adjusting AA but I hope they do it slightly if they do.

EDIT: And I dumped the wheel in favor of buttons.

Last edited:
Perfect Dark-style variety bots should always be the answer for these situations.

If only more shooters tried it.

Top Bottom