• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomsk

Party Pooper
They had been steadily gaining for the past few days.

Then YouTube decided to delete a bunch of inactive accounts this morning (I lost around 90, Fine Bros lost around 2500)

Which means they've officially lost 500k

VUsbldA.png

MicH

They had been steadily gaining for the past few days.

Then YouTube decided to delete a bunch of inactive accounts this morning (I lost around 90, Fine Bros lost around 2500)

Which means they've officially lost 500k

VUsbldA.png
That's pretty hilarious

They made millions off of reaction videos and tried to stop other people from doing it by trying to trademark the word react.

Well, they also poured a lot of time and effort into building a brand around the "React" trademark (one could argue). Their fuckup was in not realizing the potential backlash there. As someone who advises clients on this stuff, it's something I always need to be cognizant of.

Well, they also poured a lot of time and effort into building a brand around the "React" trademark (one could argue). Their fuckup was in not realizing the potential backlash there. As someone who advises clients on this stuff, it's something I always need to be cognizant of.

PR speak for "we took a gamble on how manageable the backlash would be and whether we can overpower it with brute force"

PR speak for "we took a gamble on how manageable the backlash would be and whether we can overpower it with brute force"

Eh, jobs like mine are all about mitigation of risk, but a client is gonna do what a client is gonna do. Some attorneys don't seem to realize how the Internet works, and fail to anticipate the backlash. Or the client tells them to do it anyway, as you say, assuming that their existing goodwill can mitigate the backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom