• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've lost nearly half a million subs in under a week. That's fuckin insane. Do we think they'll cross the 500,000 mark by the end of the day, or will it take the weekend as well?

ghZA08v.png

It was a good run.

Unfortunately a lot of these youtube comments are about "everyone makes mistakes" and "they apologized". Which angered me a little but I realized those are the responses of young teenagers.

The Fine Bros could be attempting to eliminate an entire section of the human race and it probably wouldn't change the opinions of YouTube pre-teens with "Gaming" in their name and Club Penguin avatars.

LoveCake

Just a heads up for people, one of the people who helped explain the copyright/trademark issues on YT Copyright attorney reacts to The Fine Brothers trademark application on the word REACT that was posted here numerous times is going to start making videos answering peoples questions regarding YT videos, copyright etc after the increase in views & subscribers on his channel since the Fine Bros video.

This is going to be very useful in the future for people the way things are going on YT.

Off topic I know, but relevant I think.

I wonder how much longer the subs will keep going down for the Fine Bros, nice if it could get to a million.

Just a heads up for people, one of the people who helped explain the copyright/trademark issues on YT Copyright attorney reacts to The Fine Brothers trademark application on the word REACT is going to start making videos answering peoples questions regarding YT videos, copyright etc after the increase in views & subscribers on his channel since the Fine Bros video.

This is going to be very useful in the future for people the way things are going on YT.

I wonder how much longer the subs will keep going down for the Fine Bros, nice if it could get to a million.

Very cool of him. Its a win/win since it increases his own exposure, and people can get knowledge of whats good to upload and not.

Vashetti

Banned

It's at 458k now, but the rate is so slow that at times you can see their subscriber count rise, rather than decrease. I think any more significant milestones aren't likely to happen now.

https://tfbsubscribers.github.io

Sucks that it's pretty much blown over, it'll take a few months and their sub count will likely be even bigger than before. All whilst they enact React World under a different name.

The trademarks they said they'd rescind are all still up too btw.

It's at 458k now, but the rate is so slow that at times you can see their subscriber count rise, rather than decrease. I think any more significant milestones aren't likely to happen now.

https://tfbsubscribers.github.io

Sucks that it's pretty much blown over, it'll take a few months and their sub count will likely be even bigger than before. All whilst they enact React World under a different name.

The trademarks they said they'd rescind are all still up too btw.
Trademarks take a long time, like several months from filing date before they take effect. There's a small window at the start of the filing process when people can oppose, but after that the process takes several months. I'm assuming it's just as much of a clusterfuck for removing them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Even if they stop bleeding subs at some point, they're going to get massive dislikes on all their videos for the foreseeable future.
Don't upvotes/downvotes not matter? I was at a talk at PAX and Patrick Klepek said "the big secret" about how YouTube pushes content isn't based on upvotes, but on "engagement."

PsychBat!

Banned
Don't upvotes/downvotes not matter? I was at a talk at PAX and Patrick Klepek said "the big secret" about how YouTube pushes content isn't based on upvotes, but on "engagement."

I don't think it matters as much as people do. It's just bad PR though and attracts more attention to those uninformed.

atomsk

Party Pooper
given the average attention span of the internet, it's amazing this is still dropping

while it's certainly an important metric (and why I don't mind negative comments, because everything helps), lately it's been all about Watch Time

they even changed the analytics dashboard to highlight that

riotous

Banned
Unfortunately a lot of these youtube comments are about "everyone makes mistakes" and "they apologized". Which angered me a little but I realized those are the responses of young teenagers.

So wait; the mature thing to do would be to continue to demand these guys lose their careers even though they stopped the trademark claim and apologized?

Note: I don't watch or film "reaction" videos so I have no real leg in this race.. but on what planet is the mature thing to do to continue such a crusade after the boycott was successful? Maybe I'm missing some facts, these are honest questions.

So wait; the mature thing to do would be to continue to demand these guys lose their careers even though they stopped the trademark claim and apologized?

Note: I don't watch or film "reaction" videos so I have no real leg in this race.. but on what planet is the mature thing to do to continue such a crusade after the boycott was successful? Maybe I'm missing some facts, these are honest questions.

I think the mature message, in intent, is to hold the decisions of two heads of a company against them so they can continue to know that what they did cannot be condoned at any point in time instead of just forgiving them for their conduct just because the rescinded after backlash.

TheYanger

I think the mature message, in intent, is to hold the decisions of two heads of a company against them so they can continue to know that what they did cannot be condoned at any point in time instead of just forgiving them for their conduct just because the rescinded after backlash.

Which is incredibly immature, and based on how the people with that 'intent' tend to frame it, comes accross that way too.

PsychBat!

Banned
Which is incredibly immature, and based on how the people with that 'intent' tend to frame it, comes accross that way too.

Oh, I didn't think you would post here again. Even after several people told you why the Fine Bros didn't make any kind of mistake.

TheYanger

Oh, I didn't think you would post here again. Even after several people told you why the Fine Bros didn't make any kind of mistake.

Ok?
The notion that someone can make a mistake, get burned for it, apologize and correct their mistake, yet still it's 'mature' to want to watch them fall to nothing is one of the most ridiculous things I've read all day.

PsychBat!

Banned
Ok?
The notion that someone can make a mistake, get burned for it, apologize and correct their mistake, yet still it's 'mature' to want to watch them fall to nothing is one of the most ridiculous things I've read all day.

It's funny that you think that a "we're sorry" statement from them means they're remorseful about what they intended to do and about what they have done in the past. Again, this wasn't a mistake, it was their choice to go on ahead with this. They doubled down with their "Update." video and since they could not handle any more bad PR after that, they decided to do damage control. AGAIN, NOT because they thought it was a mistake (it wasn't) but because they wanted to salvage whatever good image they still had.

Just a heads up for people, one of the people who helped explain the copyright/trademark issues on YT Copyright attorney reacts to The Fine Brothers trademark application on the word REACT that was posted here numerous times is going to start making videos answering peoples questions regarding YT videos, copyright etc after the increase in views & subscribers on his channel since the Fine Bros video.

Damn this guy is great. I found interesting to think that there is legal recourse for people that got accused of DMCA infringements and got video take downs to counter sue as if fair use is obvious. This seems like something not most youtubers aren't aware of, or maybe they are aware but choose not to proceed for whatever reasons.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Hmm, it's crawled its way to 465k, perhaps we will see 500k?

The drop rate had slowed down to 3-4 a minute about 9:45am est

Right now it's sped up again, around 50-60 per minute

I wonder what happened

edit: far as I can tell it's because danisnotonfire (5.5 million subs) made a reaction video.

LoveCake

Damn this guy is great. I found interesting to think that there is legal recourse for people that got accused of DMCA infringements and got video take downs to counter sue as if fair use is obvious. This seems like something not most youtubers aren't aware of, or maybe they are aware but choose not to proceed for whatever reasons.

Yeah I agree, there are some very good Tubers about that don't get the views or subs they deserve., he is talking about "fair use today".

Glad to see the "bro's" are still losing subscribers though, I have never sub'd to them & I have heard that the way YouTube builds its statistics is that if people stop viewing a video it hurts more than no viewers, so I have put the "bro's" channel in my RSS feed list & am going to click on their new uploads, thumb down & click off the video.

Vashetti

Banned
The drop rate had slowed down to 3-4 a minute about 9:45am est

Right now it's sped up again, around 50-60 per minute

I wonder what happened

edit: far as I can tell it's because danisnotonfire (5.5 million subs) made a reaction video.

475k at the mo, I think 500k is gonna happen.

Bgamer90

Banned
hell of a catch 22 if every time they upload a video they lose subs faster

Yeah, and I think this is something many (me included) didn't think of.

Their new videos will have more dislikes than likes for many weeks (maybe months); People will wonder why it's the case, find out what happened, and then unsubscribe.

atomsk

Party Pooper
looks like it's slowed down enough they might actually start gaining subs today... unless they post another video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom