• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other youtube drama news.
vkGpIl1.png

Came across this.

My anxiety is fluctuating.

Oooh

Kard8p3

In other youtube drama news.

Came across this.

My anxiety is fluctuating.

Mad cuz GradeA shittin' on losers. They can't touch him.

What is this?

a youtuber who goes by GradeAUnderA made a bunch of videos exposing Nicole Arbour and Jinx as failures and liars. They're hating cuz they aint shit. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7iJPVTBGX6DNO1RNI2Fcg is GradeA's profile

What video is that screenshot from? Would love to see it lol.

Mad cuz GradeA shittin' on losers. They can't touch him.

a youtuber who goes by GradeAUnderA made a bunch of videos exposing Nicole Arbour and Jinx as failures and liars. They're hating cuz they aint shit. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7iJPVTBGX6DNO1RNI2Fcg is GradeA's profile

The drama in particular is over GradeAUnderA starting beef with a YTer called "Tyrone Magnus" while refusing to tell anyone what it's about.

I'll be honest, what I've seen of GradeAUnderA's channel comes across as some genuine criticism mixed in with assumptions and outright namecalling/bullying; The only reason it comes across as "okay" is because he usually picks targets that have "bad" social standing. (though imho a lot of his stuff comes across as really petty & presumptuous.)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he'd pull a keemstar some day and "accidentally" mess up extremely badly.

Pifje

But the sub loss per minute is really slow right now. 15 per minute.

That's a shit load of people.

It will take months to gain all that back. Getting back the initial growth rate from losing subscribers daily alone will probably take weeks at least. That's gotta hurt.

PsychBat!

Banned
The drama in particular is over GradeAUnderA starting beef with a YTer called "Tyrone Magnus" while refusing to tell anyone what it's about.

I'll be honest, what I've seen of GradeAUnderA's channel comes across as some genuine criticism mixed in with assumptions and outright namecalling/bullying; The only reason it comes across as "okay" is because he usually picks targets that have "bad" social standing. (though imho a lot of his stuff comes across as really petty & presumptuous.)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he'd pull a keemstar some day and "accidentally" mess up extremely badly.

EEEEHHHH on the namcalling/bullying thing. The assumptions are also part of his satire that is mixed in with his genuine criticism.

I don't know about the petty part either. Not gonna agree or disagree with you there, just saying I'm gonna need time to think about that.

here you go, it's from another "reactionist" channel which, imo, are not very funny or entertaining.

Skux

Is there a cliff notes on this? I haven't been keeping up.

- Fine Bros announce React World, licensing program that will let YouTubers use "Kids React" and other Fine Bros shows to make their own reaction videos, with Fine Bros taking a cut.

- YouTube and online communities (Reddit etc) call BS, showing that:

- The trademarks for names like "React", "Kids React", "Elders React" etc are so broad and have no standing being trademarked when they have been used in the online space for years before the Fine Bros even showed up (and even before the internet itself)
- the Fine Bros are acting like they invented reaction videos (eg showing how they asked their fans to brigade Ellen DeGeneres for doing a segment showing kids reacting to old technology)
- the React World program is exploitative and content creators will barely make any money while Fine Bros reaps the rewards
- most importantly, they point to the fact that Fine Bros have been taking down reaction videos from other YouTubers by abusing the Content ID and copyright takedown systems, such as the mysterious disappearance of an earlier series "Seniors React" by a UK group

- Fine Bros release an "update" video with no apology but instead treating their audience with thinly-veiled contempt for not understanding what React World is about. They claimed to not be taking down reaction videos and that they had no ownership on the reaction genre, but the community again debunked their claims.

- Meanwhile, a massive internet backlash starts, YouTubers make videos about it calling them out, make meme videos from the Fine Bros footage, and getting a massive movement started for people to unsubscribe from the Fine Bros.

- Fine Bros subscriptions tank, losing 375,000 subscribers as of this post. People set up sites with counters to track the sub loss in real time, while others stream the counter itself, turning watching the counter fall into its own media event. At its peak, the Fine Bros were losing over 200 subscriptions per minute.

- Fine Bros finally capitulate, rescinding all "React" trademark applications, scrapping React World, and releasing all Content ID claims on previously blocked videos. Subscribers continue to decrease, although it has largely stopped as of now.

EEEEHHHH on the namcalling/bullying thing. The assumptions are also part of his satire that is mixed in with his genuine criticism.

I don't know about the petty part either. Not gonna agree or disagree with you there, just saying I'm gonna need time to think about that.

here you go, it's from another "reactionist" channel which, imo, are not very funny or entertaining.

I think "LOL CALLING PEOPLE NAMES" and calling it satire is a really wishy washy area & "satire" often gets stamped on how someone genuinly feels to get away with it.

Tyrone (still trying to figure out wtf gradeA's upset about) has a video of him going over GradeA ranting aobut him on twitch; https://youtu.be/p0AJgen6cC4?t=615

And if GradeA calling people cunt & idiot and shitbag is meant to be satire, he sure loves doing it when he's not "his persona" but talking seriously about the people he makes videos about.

I've seen plenty of anomaly hunting and well poisoning online, often under the guide of genuine criticism or satire, and GradeA rubs me in all the wrong ways.

Kard8p3

Ehhh. Most of what he says he backs up. Not sure I agree on the petty part either. I feel his dislike for reaction channels is fair. Shit is talentless. Also Nicole Arbour IS a cunt.

PsychBat!

Banned
I think "LOL CALLING PEOPLE NAMES" and calling it satire is a really wishy washy area & "satire" often gets stamped on how someone genuinly feels to get away with it.

Tyrone (still trying to figure out wtf gradeA's upset about) has a video of him going over GradeA ranting aobut him on twitch; https://youtu.be/p0AJgen6cC4?t=615

And if GradeA calling people cunt & idiot and shitbag is meant to be satire, he sure loves doing it when he's not "his persona" but talking seriously about the people he makes videos about.

I've seen plenty of anomaly hunting and well poisoning online, often under the guide of genuine criticism or satire, and GradeA rubs me in all the wrong ways.
I didn't say his name calling was satire. I said his assumptions were.

Also, the fact that Tyrone keeps responding to him is really weird. I'm sorry but why the fuck does he care so much?

Is there a cliff notes on this? I haven't been keeping up.

Overrated
IMO, but mostly everyone's
YouTube channel The Fine Bros make "react video's" of various viral video's using kids, elders, youtubers reactions.
TFB are going to trademark "their" format of react.
TFB feel like "their" format, which cant really be put into words by anyone, is being infringed upon from channels with 10 views up to major TV stars such as Ellen.
TFB make a video announcing a new channel called react world. In the video they announce how you can license "their" format and partner up with them in a revenue share, no up front payment scheme like a Burger King franchise.
They promise that it is not to wield any power over anyone and it will "change history".
TFB then use their influence at YouTube to give strikes (not sure of the actual terminology here, but YouTube remove the video because of copyright infringement) to said videos who TFB feel is copying "their format". Also they try to get their fans to boycott/harass big shows like Ellen because "their format" has been ripped off.
The internet finds out about their shady ways and reacts badly, pun intended.
TFB issue another video named UPDATE, where they give the impression of how we got it wrong, we don't understand, no take downs are happening, and generally come across as douchebags.
Unsubscribing from TFB channel becomes almost an obsession to watch. Everyone waits for it to go under 14 million. It does.
TFB issue full retraction of concept and trademark rights.
Internet rejoices.

TLDR - They done fucked up, they got caught, they sorry/mad at everyone.

edit - Beaten.

Also, the fact that Tyrone keeps responding to him is really weird. I'm sorry but why the fuck does he care so much?

Some people care when other people they like suddenly start talking shit about them?

I've had it happen that people within communities I participate in suddenly started talking shit about me and claiming me an immoral lying jackass. (for claiming I took payment for a dragon pixelart commission I bailed out on, which is a straight up lie);

It can be hard to ignore stuff like that, especially if you genuinly feel like you did nothing wrong & would like to talk it out if possible.

PsychBat!

Banned
Some people care when other people they like suddenly start talking shit about them?

I've had it happen that people within communities I participate in suddenly started talking shit about me and claiming me an immoral lying jackass. (for claiming I took payment for a dragon pixelart commission I bailed out on, which is a straight up lie);

It can be hard to ignore stuff like that, especially if you genuinly feel like you did nothing wrong & would like to talk it out if possible.

That still doesn't explain why he responded with a video just because Grade tweeted about him. That's the entire premise of the first video.

Okay. Can we get back to the dropping subscribers.
He's not lying brah
and the sub count is still dropping, but moving ever slower.

That still doesn't explain why he responded with a video just because Grade tweeted about him. That's the entire premise of the first video.

It annoyed him and he wanted to vent? I don't see what's so hard to grasp there.

It's basically like any GAF-age "my friend stopped talking to me and won't tell me why"-thread.

Does making a thread actually answer what happened? Probably not. But sometimes people feel like venting if they feel strongly about something.

vern

These guys are responsible for all the react videos always posted on gaf? Or they just wanted to trademark and there are other players in the "react" space ?

Skux

These guys are responsible for all the react videos always posted on gaf? Or they just wanted to trademark and there are other players in the "react" space ?

The latter. They make most of the reaction videos but the "Koreans react/eat/watch" ones are from a competitor.

PsychBat!

Banned
It annoyed him and he wanted to vent? I don't see what's so hard to grasp there.

It's basically like any GAF-age "my friend stopped talking to me and won't tell me why"-thread.

Does making a thread actually answer what happened? Probably not. But sometimes people feel like venting if they feel strongly about something.
It's not in his character to do that. Over a tweet.
And do not tell me what I am having difficulty with or not. This isn't a debate or an argument. I'm not trying to convince you on anything.

It's not in his character to do that. Over a tweet.
And do not tell me what I am having difficulty with or not. This isn't a debate or an argument. I'm not trying to convince you on anything.

I'm just gonna stop talking to you, sorry for wasting your time & offending you with my rude and demanding replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm just gonna stop talking to you, sorry for wasting your time & offending you with my rude and demanding replies.
Not sure if you're being really condescending and sarcastic or not. But if you are, I do have a response.

There are circumstances and other behind the scenes stuff to your arguments you're missing. First, was this person, the one who called you a liar, a friend of yours or an acquaintance? Second, do these threads that you speak of talk about people really close to the OPs or the people they talk about are of random strangers? Third, do the people that the OPs talk about in the threads you mention, do they have an impact on their personal/social/financial lives or are they trivial in which case they have little to no impact at all?
It doesn't make sense for a "reactor" to incite drama on YouTube so his followers can start a crusade. All because of a tweet. And this is between two people who don't even know eachother personally.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ehhh. Most of what he says he backs up. Not sure I agree on the petty part either. I feel his dislike for reaction channels is fair. Shit is talentless. Also Nicole Arbour IS a cunt.
The way he's choosing to try and shit on Tyrone js another issue though.

Tyrone posted a video reacting to GradeA's vitriolic hate of him on Twitch.

I'm not some flsg bearer but if you listen to his GradeA calls Magnus a dog, cunt, and hates on him for no reason then I think you'll see that this GradeA is a big idiot.

I don't care about the other cases as his seetjing hate might have more recourse but the way he handles himself would not warrant any interaction from me with that type of angry individual.

farisr

Where's this from? I don't remember Grade calling any of them out.
He's boss anyway.
GradeA's been name calling and throwing slurs at them (mainly Tryone) for a few days and when asked what the issue is, he says "wait for the video next week" in the meantime continuing on with the name calling and slurs (and then wondering why tyrone is responding in videos to said comments, no shit a person is going to respond or comment on it if you continue this type of behavior)

Really immature.

It was cool when he layed the smackdown on nicole arbour, but the way he's been carrying himself regarding this is just bad, and honestly is going to end up making his side of the story, whatever it is, look weaker to me and a lot of people just by the way he's been carrying himself.

The way he's choosing to try and shit on Tyrone js another issue though.

Tyrone posted a video reacting to GradeA's vitriolic hate of him on Twitch.

I'm not some flsg bearer but if you listen to his GradeA calls Magnus a dog, cunt, and hates on him for no reason then I think you'll see that this GradeA is a big idiot.

I don't care about the other cases as his seetjing hate might have more recourse but the way he handles himself would not warrant any interaction from me with that type of angry individual.
I'm British and I know from his accent and the way he talks what sort of guy GradeA is, so his disgusting behaviour is not a surprise to me.

Skux

Even though it's slowed they're still dropping. I never thought we'd hit 400k but it looks like it'll be happening soon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Daaaaaaaamn they took quite a drop in subscriber since I last check yesterday. I honestly thought that it would recover after the Fine Bros said "sorry"

I guess they really must have pissed the Internet off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom