• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the internet works like that.

What are you talking about? It takes 3-4 days for internet news to be shipped on containers from Maine to Plymouth. Then you have to unload all the data and put them on trucks to disperse around Europe.

They are still losing followers but it's really slow now, doubt they will reach 500k lost but it's going to hurt them getting back to 14mil for a while.

Mimosa97

They might lose 2% of their revenue. Big deal ...

Sadly they'll keep on making millions and millions because 99% of their audience doesn't care.

They might lose 2% of their revenue. Big deal ...

Sadly they'll keep on making millions and millions because 99% of their audience doesn't care.

400,000 out of 14,000,000 is 2.8% of all their subs. Additionally, a large portion of the remaining 13 million are likely lapsed accounts, unengaged viewers, bots etc. After all, their videos don't get 13 million views. They look like they average 1-2 million. And a good chunk of the 400k they lost were people who actively watched their videos.

400,000 out of 14,000,000 is 2.8% of all their subs. Additionally, a large portion of the remaining 13 million are likely lapsed accounts, unengaged viewers, bots etc. After all, their videos don't get 13 million views. They look like they average 1-2 million. And a good chunk of the 400k they lost were people who actively watched their videos.

They uploaded a react video 3 days ago...it has nearly 3 million views.

They uploaded a react video 3 days ago...it has nearly 3 million views.

Yeah, because everyone's upset about React World. Did you notice the dislikes?

Part of Youtube's weighing system on video popularity is based on how long they are watched. Their recent videos have all been watched for as long as it takes to pull it up and click "dislike."

The Flash

Banned
After all this backlash, I wonder if they even would actually do one of their Fine Time videos.

Here's a preview

427.png

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I remember hearing that Youtube counts it as a 'view' only if a certain % of the video is actually watched. Is that not the case?

ppor

Variety said:
“The Fine Brothers have been innovators on YouTube since day one, so it’s no surprise that they’ve created a unique way to expand the hugely popular ‘React’ series to YouTube audiences around the globe,” Kelly Merryman, YouTube’s VP of content partnerships, said in a statement. “This is brand-building in the YouTube age — rising media companies building their brands through collaborations with creators around the world.”

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/fine-bros-react-world-youtube-1201688987/

YouTube corporate looking bad here, they were looking for their cut as well.

B-Ri

If Sam Pepper can still release videos, get views, and keep fan support, nothing is gonna happen to The Fine Bros.

do you notice something here?
b2f3904013.png

Well we don't have the data for the amount of people that have only clicked on the video to dislike and leave, but say those 250,000 people who disliked don't count as real views , they've still had well over 2 million views in 3 days.

Well we don't have the data for the amount of people that have only clicked on the video to dislike and leave, but say those 250,000 people who disliked don't count as real views , they've still had well over 2 million views in 3 days.

Subs and views are fairly irrelevant metrics. Minutes watched is the primary driver. Many people can simply look at the page for a few seconds and not generate revenue.

I can't see their minutes watched but I'm willing to bet with all the negative news - its down, regardless of "views".

"Views" are also artificial as they are NOT unique. So, someone looking at that video more than once to see it's activity and how many times it's been thumbed down, will count as multiple views.

You can see any of this information in your creator panel on YouTube account. This is what people look for when it comes to performance.

I can puff my chest all day at how many "views" my website may get but they won't all be unique and the minutes on each page might be next to nothing. Views, subs, etc are piss poor metrics for performance.

Eh, I don't think that's true.
You don't think what's true, that they wanted to trademark the word "react"? Because it is, there is a ton of proof including their own written "apology" letter. They also wanted to trademark "opinions" and "lyric breakdown". And they were attempting to trademark them under the "entertainment" banner of trademark law so they'd not only have been able to go after people on YouTube, but any form of entertainment such as TV and movies as well. Hence them striking out against Ellen and Jimmy Kimmel.

Sesha

It doesn't matter apparently.

People seem more pissed off with the FIne Bros than they are at stuff like the TPP (trans-pacific partnership)

If the politicians and lawmakers responsible for the TPP talked about its more controversial parts in a YouTube video there'd probably be a lot more visible outrage.

Skux

Wow, a huge acceleration in subscriber loss in the past few hours. Maybe a popular YouTuber made a video about it.

QJP7rny.png

Maximo

Wow, a huge acceleration in subscriber loss in the past few hours. Maybe a popular YouTuber made a video about it.

QJP7rny.png

Either that or they put up a normal video the last 4 hours ago, people might be pissed they haven't uploaded a official apology video and just sweeping it under the rug.

PsychBat!

Banned
ghZA08v.png

It was a good run.

Unfortunately a lot of these youtube comments are about "everyone makes mistakes" and "they apologized". Which angered me a little but I realized those are the responses of young teenagers.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Either that or they put up a normal video the last 4 hours ago, people might be pissed they haven't uploaded a official apology video and just sweeping it under the rug.

Yeah, they need to make a video apologizing and telling their audience that they backed out. I don't feel like a lot of people even know that they're no longer planning on going ahead with React World.

Skux

ghZA08v.png

It was a good run.

Unfortunately a lot of these youtube comments are about "everyone makes mistakes" and "they apologized". Which angered me a little but I realized those are the responses of young teenagers.

Just need to give it a few hours:

1tcCfC9.png

Beefy

What happens if they lied about rescinding the trademarks. So it went over the time they needed for them to go through?

Korey

Even if they stop bleeding subs at some point, they're going to get massive dislikes on all their videos for the foreseeable future.

Kazaam

What happens if they lied about rescinding the trademarks. So it went over the time they needed for them to go through?

At this point there would make no sense to lie about that. Everyone is still watching them and if people would find out they were lying about rescinding the trademarks could only hurt them. They do have a huge image problem atm and even if they stop bleeding subs, they will keep (rightfully so) having lots of dislikes and less views. They need to turn damage control up to 11.

oti

Banned
ghZA08v.png

It was a good run.

I once watched a documentary about Pablo Escoba on YouTube. Same kind of comments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom