• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Episode of the Mandalorian > TLJ

pel1300

It was fun to watch. Very impressive sense of scale for a TV show in its 1st season. The soundtrack is pretty underwhelming.....the same guy who won an Oscar for Black Panther and did the solid Creed soundtrack composed this?!

Action was very good.. Felt like Star Wars. Surprisingly mostly practical effects.

But I hope there is a twist and it turns out Boba Fett is in the show...or The Mandalorian is Boba under a new ID.

ManaByte

Action was very good.. Felt like Star Wars. Surprisingly mostly practical effects.

You'd be shocked at how much of it wasn't actually practical. All of the exteriors were filmed on a dirt lot in a railroad yard outside of Los Angeles with very very minimal sets and lots of blue screen.

Hinedorf

Banned
My biggest disappointment was finding out I had to wait till Friday for episode 2, I went batshit insane for a solid few minutes before I googled they're releasing episodes on Friday, can't wait for more

Mattyp

Gold Member
Wasn’t even going to add it to my plex server after last turds Disney churned our, but the amount of people demanding got to high and I thought I’ll actually give it a chance.

It’s actually pretty solid. Best thing I’ve seen come out of Disney Star Wars yet and pleasantly surprised.

ManaByte

When all is said and done that feeling for Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy when it turns out that the best thing you did with a 4 Billion dollar IP is a TV series set before the BS you green lit truly sets in. 🤔

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
caught the first 5 minutes of thing. just one reference after another. if they want to test "franchise fatigue" then they are plunging headlong into it by continuously rehashing A New Hope.

had TLJ not made a huge deal about "killing the past" and then the ensuing year or more of gas-lighting, I would be more charitable. now, i'm just cynical about it all. everything they have done is just a big budget fan film so far. no new ideas.

that said, it looks good, if super predictable. right away my feeling is they should have released this before or instead of the ST. because just thinking about SW gives me a bad feeling nowadays. i'll have to see the whole thing for a final verdict. not in a hurry to do so.

Last edited:

thequestion

Jon Favreau is the man! When I was a kid and trying to absorb as much Star Wars as humanly possible, I wished for some more live action Star Wars (that had that OG Star Wars “feel”)and this 1st ep delivered in every way - the kid in me was all smiles, during the entire runtime duration. High hopes for next ep, but still preparing for the worst.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
The first 15 min was better than 1,2,3...7,8, and Solo.
That dude getting
cut in half by the door, and the silent badass type is doing it for me

Also
baby Yoda?

This show will be good, I have spoken!

Last edited:

GV82

Now that people have seen the show and more people enjoyed it than expected maybe someone should make a OT for the show? Especially with episode 2 coming Friday and this thread just has “first episode” in the title, plus it’s a comparison thread.

I’ve never been good at those types of threads tbh.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Not a huge star wars fan. Take them for what they are.

Good episode. The ending hooked me. Let's see where this goes.

Now that people have seen the show and more people enjoyed it than expected maybe someone should make a OT for the show? Especially with episode 2 coming Friday and this thread just has “first episode” in the title, plus it’s a comparison thread.

I nominate you. I believe in you. Believe. Achieve. Succeed.

giphy.gif

ManaByte

There is a general Star Wars OT in Communities.

Ovek

7Member7
It looked good for a “TV” show I’ll give it that. Not interested enough by the first episode to follow it once a week, so I will just wait for it to finish season 1 and then binge watch it all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Was good. Only one MCU tier joke moment, and the original trilogy had a couple of those too so no biggie.

I hope they keep the overall serious tone. Not asking for HBO Spawn or some shit, but please don't become goofy.

Last edited:
It was... ok. Felt a bit like an expensive fan-made project.

So far I'm not invested whatsoever in the story or any of the characters. The Mandalorian's decision to save his target's life was lame, but it's Disney, so I suppose moments like that were expected. Visually, most of the creatures and settings look pretty great (the ice-monster attack in particular). The shootout was a little underwhelming.

It was... ok. Felt a bit like an expensive fan-made project.

So far I'm not invested whatsoever in the story or any of the characters. The Mandalorian's decision to save his target's life was lame, but it's Disney, so I suppose moments like that were expected. Visually, most of the creatures and settings look pretty great (the ice-monster attack in particular). The shootout was a little underwhelming.
Well, he was told he'd only get paid half if the target was dead so....makes sense to me. The IG droid's contract was different.

PanzerAzel

Yeah....Disney and Star Wars are a mismatch.

There’s a constant feeling of levity and a lack of gravitas and seriousness that works against what makes characters such as the Mandalorion so brooding and threatening. FFS, not five minutes in we’re stuck with the first bounty making toilet jokes freely walking around the ship. Mama jokes to toilet humor, you’re on a roll, Mickey. The placement of this style of humor (which was also out of place in TLJ) nullifies any feeling of threat or tension. Yeah the kids will laugh, great. It just doesn’t work for me; there remains a semblance of tonal inconsistency and immaturity that robs the scenes of weight and consequence.

Secondly (and I wasn’t expecting this at all), I can’t buy into the physicality the main actor’s bringing to the role. Not being able to see his expressions demands compensation in pronounced and a tad exaggerated body language and presence, and I don’t feel he has either the proper physical build, nor the mannerisms, to present a tangible feeling of intimidation and badassery required for the role. He’s not menacing, he doesn’t move with purpose or determination. It’s like watching a kid dressed up at Con. Just because he’s wearing a mask doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to act, and maybe it’s just me but I’m not feeling it at all. Even Fett in Empire was very deliberate and calculating in his movements and speech.....you could tell he knew what he was doing and was not to be fucked with.....I’m not getting it here at all for some reason.

Eh. I’m on the week trial. Perhaps it’ll improve come more episodes, but as of now, I’ll save my money.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'll say this at least, I'm far more interested in the next episode of this show than I am at the prospect of Episode 9.

Agree, while it wasn't amazing by any stretch, it absolutely exceeds my interest in the next SW movie by miles.

GV82

Worth watching this Q & A just to hear Werner Herzog throw shade at films with “Too much CGI & Robotic acting and this is like Cinema back at it’s best” all in Werner Herzogs Voice (note that this show does indeed use some cgi but practical effects like some puppets, props, sets too and also new in camera technology)

Last edited:
Top Bottom