• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football Manager series |OT| Mourinwho?

nelchaar

Sounds like a good time to try out the 4-6-0 tactic which should be in FM16. ;-)

Maybe, might as well wait out till Sturridge returns from injury. I got Benteke to place as a target man, but no bloody wingers. Seriously Liverpool transfer committee, what where you thinking??

Seriously Liverpool transfer committee, what where you thinking??

Has anyone tried playing with a DoF making all transfer / contract renewal / staff hire decisions? I did on my beta save, was actually pretty interesting. Forced me to mix it up tactically too.

Added difficulty, I didn't let myself hire / renew the DoF's contract, so he had fairly shit stats. That was all on the Chairman.

Bumhead

Banned
Does anyone have any experience with the Touch version of this on iPad?

How does it run on the iPad Mini's? I know they're supported, but is the game quick to play or is it sluggish?

Has anyone tried playing with a DoF making all transfer / contract renewal / staff hire decisions? I did on my beta save, was actually pretty interesting. Forced me to mix it up tactically too.

Added difficulty, I didn't let myself hire / renew the DoF's contract, so he had fairly shit stats. That was all on the Chairman.

I do this now and again, depending on what club I'm at. It really does make it frustratingly interesting at times.

I do this now and again, depending on what club I'm at. It really does make it frustratingly interesting at times.

I'm doing the same now in my first proper save. Loving it so far.

Only time I've had to intervene a little is shortly after I took over. Best player is Spanish (in Norway), and I guess the previous manager had promised to bring in someone to ease his homesickness. Squad was going full-on meltdown mode. As the DoF AI isn't smart enough to follow through, I added the only Spanish free agent in Norway to my transfer targets pile as 'urgent'. Player was shocking, but actually got some game time as I have fuck all depth in that position.

Very frustrating how long he waits to tie up contracts though, normally for me (Norwegian third tier) he waits until the last couple weeks of their contract. Almost lost one of my personal favourites because of that already.

I'm doing the same now in my first proper save. Loving it so far.

Only time I've had to intervene a little is shortly after I took over. Best player is Spanish (in Norway), and I guess the previous manager had promised to bring in someone to ease his homesickness. Squad was going full-on meltdown mode. As the DoF AI isn't smart enough to follow through, I added the only Spanish free agent in Norway to my transfer targets pile as 'urgent'. Player was shocking, but actually got some game time as I have fuck all depth in that position.

Very frustrating how long he waits to tie up contracts though, normally for me (Norwegian third tier) he waits until the last couple weeks of their contract. Almost lost one of my personal favourites because of that already.

Yeah, I've experienced the same thing in the past too with the contracts!

sora87

I skipped 15 and got 16 this year, injuries seem sky high still and every other week a player is moaning about not starting and creating a ruckus with the media and dressing room lol

Injuries are usually managable, it's when the opposition decides to kick you off the pitch and you lose 3 of your best in a game that it gets really annoying. But hey, adds to the challenge. Having a few very flexible players in your squad really, really helps. If you don't have any, try to get some.

Does result in some matches feeling like a game of Tetris.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
After 21 seasons and over 3 years, my FC Halifax run has come to an end.

BN9n0rY.png

5aEdQEC.png

I started this FM2013 game during the beta in late 2012, it was my first FM game since 2008 due to not having a decent computer and through FM being region blocked on Steam in East Asia.

Either way, I've spent a lot of time on this game and the universe its built up. I want to get the 30 seasons achievement before quitting the game for good.

I'd have stayed with FC Halifax longer, but there was no challenge left. My team was the best in the world, where 2-star Potential was considered "leading Premier League Star". My youth recruitment was finally starting to pay off, but I'll leave that to my replacement - Freek Winkens - to take advantage of.

4BWrA5v.png

pPMXP6I.png

KjcZCRG.png

I won everything possible, now I'll go on holiday for the next season and then see what non-English jobs are available to run out the 8 years remaining on that 30 seasons achievement.

I hate the terminology used when my contract ran out. I wasn't sacked, I was released. :( Fun fact: I literally yelled out "I got fired?!" - then needed to quickly explain things to my confused and upset looking girlfriend.

industrian

Gonna go to FM 16?

Once I get 30 seasons down I don't think I'll be touching FM for a while.

And I briefly checked what jobs were available and took up a position with Rangers. Their previous manager filled the team with lemons, had a massive injury crisis, and I need to pick up the pieces. I love challenges like this.

Moobabe

Hey guys,

I've run out of patience with Google on this issue - but you know when you have players out on loan you get the sent that monthly report letting you know how they're getting on.

Well my chief scout retired and now I no longer get sent them. I cannot for the life of me find the option to restart those reports and it's doing my head in.

fenners

Once I get 30 seasons down I don't think I'll be touching FM for a while.

And I briefly checked what jobs were available and took up a position with Rangers. Their previous manager filled the team with lemons, had a massive injury crisis, and I need to pick up the pieces. I love challenges like this.

Sounds like the real team.

I'm a Motherwell fan, so I always manage them. FM16 is brutal. I've yet to last two years in the job. The club always gets bought out early in the first season, but it can take until November to get resolved, blocking transfers & usually with pressure from the new owner wanting to bring in their own guy - it's been David Beckham too as the new owner the past two tries. Once I was fourth in the league, 8 game unbeaten streak including drawing with Celtic at Parkhead, and it still wasn't enough to impress him.

I started unemployed with a no name, no rep English Manager and strangely was hired by Werder Bremen II - and I'm loving it. Sports Interactive have FINALLY done something with B-Teams. The first Team Manager/Director of Football does all the transfers, promotes and demotes players from the various teams, while I can promote players from the U18s to the B-Team.

The Chairman has demanded that I develop young players good enough for the first team, and gets angry when I keep playing the older players! It's a different kind of challenge.

I started unemployed with a no name, no rep English Manager and strangely was hired by Werder Bremen II - and I'm loving it. Sports Interactive have FINALLY done something with B-Teams. The first Team Manager/Director of Football does all the transfers, promotes and demotes players from the various teams, while I can promote players from the U18s to the B-Team.

The Chairman has demanded that I develop young players good enough for the first team, and gets angry when I keep playing the older players! It's a different kind of challenge.

Exactly how I feel doing the Joe Kinnear Challenge.

industrian

Sounds like the real team.

I'm a Motherwell fan, so I always manage them. FM16 is brutal. I've yet to last two years in the job. The club always gets bought out early in the first season, but it can take until November to get resolved, blocking transfers & usually with pressure from the new owner wanting to bring in their own guy - it's been David Beckham too as the new owner the past two tries. Once I was fourth in the league, 8 game unbeaten streak including drawing with Celtic at Parkhead, and it still wasn't enough to impress him.

I was a Rangers fan growing up (kinda drifted away after I left college) so yeah. You're right on the money. My team is full of Dan Prodans, Phil Sebos, James Beatties and Tore Andre Flos. I took over in January and the previous manager spent 19 million earlier in the season putting together a massive squad of complete underperformers. I can't wait until the end of the season when I can run a lawnmower over the entire squad and bring in some decent guys on free transfers.

It actually feels like I'm Louis van Gaal in respects, as - while I'm undefeated in the league - I'm struggling to score and to keep clean sheets. I think I'm 2 wins, 3 draws so far. Every away game is practically a cup final, and my players are just starting to get their confidence. We're second in the league, but ten points behind Hearts.

In my current game, Hearts are an unstoppable force in Scottish football. They've got a 50000+ stadium and are 9-in-a-row right now (and with their 10 point lead they're practically 10 in a row). When I was the FC Halifax manager I sold them one of my young strikers for 11 million and he's went on to just destroy the SPL.

That and I can't but feel that going from my FC Halifax team to Rangers was like going from Very Easy to Impossible difficulty. The stupid "three players need to be under 21 lulz" rule doesn't help either.

GRaider81

I was a Rangers fan growing up (kinda drifted away after I left college) so yeah. You're right on the money. My team is full of Dan Prodans, Phil Sebos, James Beatties and Tore Andre Flos. I took over in January and the previous manager spent 19 million earlier in the season putting together a massive squad of complete underperformers. I can't wait until the end of the season when I can run a lawnmower over the entire squad and bring in some decent guys on free transfers.

It actually feels like I'm Louis van Gaal in respects, as - while I'm undefeated in the league - I'm struggling to score and to keep clean sheets. I think I'm 2 wins, 3 draws so far. Every away game is practically a cup final, and my players are just starting to get their confidence. We're second in the league, but ten points behind Hearts.

In my current game, Hearts are an unstoppable force in Scottish football. They've got a 50000+ stadium and are 9-in-a-row right now (and with their 10 point lead they're practically 10 in a row). When I was the FC Halifax manager I sold them one of my young strikers for 11 million and he's went on to just destroy the SPL.

That and I can't but feel that going from my FC Halifax team to Rangers was like going from Very Easy to Impossible difficulty. The stupid "three players need to be under 21 lulz" rule doesn't help either.

As a Hearts fan this pleases me! Ann Budge revolution in full swing!

Really need to get back to this, it scares me though as it leaves no time for any other games!

industrian

As a Hearts fan this pleases me! Ann Budge revolution in full swing!

The new Hearts stadium is named after Robbo. They normally get into the knockout stages of the Champions League so they have a lot of money to throw around. I remember playing them a few times with my FC Halifax team. I normally destroyed them, but they held their own a few times.

Bonus screenshots:

iCOJWRt.png

LUBwM77.png

I'm surprised their reputation is still "National" - but the growth of a club's reputation is a major problem that Football Manager seems to have that I doubt has been fixed in newer versions. Hell, I won the Europa League with FC Halifax and we were still considered a relatively small club.

Really need to get back to this, it scares me though as it leaves no time for any other games!

You're telling me! I just bought a PS4 with 10 games and I'm still playing a game I started in October 2012!

Nyx

Fun story, last Sunday an Englishman named Joe Krishnan visited a match of FC Utrecht for the first time, he became fan of the club because of…. Football Manager!

sYdTeIu.jpg

Tonight there will be an item on ''FCU TV'', pretty cool stuff if you ask me!

cabot

Most of the teams I support now are from strong bonds created with FM. It's powerful alright.

I now support Everton, Leverkusen, Fiorentina because of my time with them.

I also have a soft spot for Ross County.

Westlo

Most of the teams I support now are from strong bonds created with FM. It's powerful alright.

I now support Everton, Leverkusen, Fiorentina because of my time with them.

I'm now a devoted Everton (and football) fan mainly thanks to a save I played with them in Fm2014. Took me ages to get Lukaku back in the two FM2014 saves (Initial and after Jan) I had for Everton, thank fuck Bobby brought him back straight away IRL.... Also really like Sevilla because that was my main save in FM2015 and atm my main save in FM2016 is Napoli. I have a soft spot in general for Dortmund just from following football in general the last few years.

industrian

aye FM, right?

Nothing to do with ICT being Celtic's bogey team ;)

Joke obviously, I don't remember them being a bogey team in 2005

;)

Real talk:

I was a kid when Caley Thistle were first admitted to the league system, and I kept up-to-date with how they were able to rise from the bottom to the top in a consistent and well-planned manner - without accruing any long-term debt in the process. It's an incredible feat worthy of respect by any Scottish football fan. Very few (if any) clubs have ever done this in the modern game.

Jackano

This is the first (I think) time I get media praise for the nice football my team play.
Usual 4-1-2-3 wasn't working, so I tried this with the max flexible setting.

My youth team provides me with many wonder kids midfielders, so I definitely manage to keep a pool of 7 per season by eventually buying/loaning only one of them.

Only con, my striker doesn't score that much, that's the two wings who are doing most of the important job.

industrian

Fucking hell, Hearts just won the quadruple in my game. Domestic treble + Champions League. That and they've got 10-in-a-row now.

I doubt I'll be able to catch them in my first full season with Rangers, but it's a worthy challenge.

industrian

With my first full season at Rangers I won the league and Scottish Cup double. AC Milan put me out in the quarter finals of the Champions League, but the fact I beat Juventus, Bayern, and Valencia made me proud of my team. Whenever I played Hearts I got reamed, but they dropped more points than me in the league.

Rangers also seem to have a great youth recruitment system. I've got two goalkeepers, a couple of defenders and an entire midfield that will eventually make its way into the first team.

I seem to have found the winning formation of 4-1-1-3-1. Whenever I attempt to use the classic 4-4-2 attacking that served me well with FC Halifax I just got woefully outplayed by the competition.

For some reason the "new" Scottish season started in late July (WTF) with one game - then has a 2 week break until the next game. Is this a glitch?

I couldn't get into FM17 at all, couldn't play more than a season without quitting. I just wasn't enjoying it. First time that's happened in... forever.

Nyx

I couldn't get into FM17 at all, couldn't play more than a season without quitting. I just wasn't enjoying it. First time that's happened in... forever.

I've clocked almost 200 hours so far, which is more than I played the two versions before this one.

Longest save is 15 seasons, but I've been playing another career game lately.

TBiddy

I've had that feeling ever since they went from CM to FM. It just got way too complicated. In the old games, you could get through a season in about an evening, more or less. Now, an evening gives you two games and a hilarious amount of fiddling around.

nelchaar

Motherfucker, just lost the Spanish cup final to Barca on pens.

Took Valencia to the quarterfinals of the UCL, and placed 3rd in La Liga. Now here come the vultures to ransack all my best players. Fuck you release clauses 😭.

sorry for the necro. Didn't know where else to vent!

Blablurn

dont worry, i have a tragic week of bayern bringing to cup and championship glory, but losing to barca in the CL final.

fucking barca.

now i made aubameyang angry and my whole team hates me.

mui

Neo Member
I've had that feeling ever since they went from CM to FM. It just got way too complicated. In the old games, you could get through a season in about an evening, more or less. Now, an evening gives you two games and a hilarious amount of fiddling around.

That's why I sometime simulate a lot of matches along with only seeing the highlights in a match as I don't do much on the fly tactics like I used to. It's much less tedious that way.

Top Bottom