• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed's Absurd Protagonist Almost Returned for Star Wars: Rebels

Link.

Starkiller, the fabulously ridiculous antihero of The Force Unleashed, almost featured in Star Wars: Rebels. This would have been bonkers.

The tidbit comes from a Twitch stream event broadcasted by Witwer.

“Dave [Filoni] did share with me, by the way, he considered making Starkiller an Inquisitor in Star Wars: Rebels,” Witwer said. “It didn’t quite fit the story they were telling, but he did think about it because he thought that would be interesting.”

“Didn’t quite fit” is a mastery of understatement from Witwer, who voiced Starkiller before taking on the role of Darth Maul on Rebels and its predecessor, The Clone Wars. The videogame hero, if introduced in anything like his form in 2008's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, would have damn near broken the new canon. Gather around, children, let me tell y’all about Starkiller.

-

So, yeah. Starkiller could’ve been a fun nod to the fandom, and placing him as an Inquisitor (they’re basically Vader’s personal army of anti-Jedi Force-using assassins in Rebels) makes a bit of sense. But to make him work in the more grounded Disney canon would’ve forced Filoni and co. to ditch almost everything that made the character so memorable and unintentionally funny.

And if Starkiller can’t wreck a Star Destroyer with his mind, why even bother?

TFU backstory at the link.

Witwer also voices Maul on Rebels and stormtroopers in new the movies.

LionPride

Banned
My love of Sam Witwer has made me overlook how stupid Starkiller is as a character

Yet he would not be a good fit for Rebels

Could be worse.

We could have Darth Maul and Darth Talon together like Lucas wanted.

I like Starkiller more than any of the leads in the new trilogy lol.

image.php

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Should have brought him back and called him Darth Icky like Lucas originally wanted.

Slayven

Can someone explain why starkiller is so bad?

He is no worse then any other Star Wars characters. Just people put the property on a pedestal and blind to how poopoo it is.

Not Clone wars or Rebels, them and the Thawn books are the best the IP has ever been.

Anything to keep Sam Witwer in Star Wars. I love the dude.

I wouldn't mind seeing other aspects of Force Unleashed being reworked into the canon. PROXY, Juno, Raxus Prime, etc. Kanan in Rebels is practically a reworked Rahm Kota.

Slater

Banned
Sam is the best man, and star killer, regardless of how OP he was always had fantastic voice acting.

Him and Kota in the arena is some of the best shit you can find VA wise

I think people are less mad about Starkiller the actual character and more about how nonsensically critical to the backstory of the OT they ended up making him.

Like they literally ended up making his family crest the Alliance symbol in memory of his sacrifice in the first game.

Savitar

Is Starkiller still canon then?

No.

He was, but he got removed.

Same story that happened with Shadows of the Empire, was cannon due to Lucas involvement originally and fully supported. Dropped like a hot turd soon after.

Veelk

Banned
Does this mean starkiller is part of the official canon going on right now?

Edit: Nevermind, misread the title.

kevin1025

Banned
Now that we had Starkiller Base, bringing in Starkiller as a character would be odd. Unless they changed the name, I suppose.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm glad he didn't.

I enjoyed the first Force Unleashed as a moderately entertaining video game and I really like Sam Witwer as an actor, but I really couldn't stand how that series essentially transformed the force from an introspective, spiritual energy into some utterly deranged, Dragon Ball-Z esque superpower which you could use to pull Star Destroyers out of the sky, whilst blasting it out at thousands of stormtroopers at a time. For me, the outrageously silly nature of Starkiller as a character in general sort of demeaned the whole universe, whilst making all the other Jedi characters like Luke and Anakin look hilariously underpowered in comparison.

Tapejara

Considering how good TCW/Rebels has been at fleshing out and improving the worst parts of the prequels and reintroducing EU characters to the canon, I would have actually liked to see this. I always liked Starkiller's character, and more Witwer is never a bad thing.

Edit: how is Starkiller edgy, anyway? I was replaying the first Force Unleashed a few months ago and he doesn't come across as edgy at all. Yeah the box art has him making an angry face, but in the game itself I don't recall him doing anything that would put in the same category as Shadow the Hedgehog.

Didn't realize he voices Maul. But yeah. Including Starkiller doesn't make sense unless he's a huge player (hero or villain) and downplaying him to something less would defeat the purpose of including him at all beyond a fun nod.

How do you polish diarrhea though?

You kinda have to see it, Maul is a broken man, but at the same time he is more dangerous then the sith and jedi because he realize the force is all bullshit.

Well, he's sort of like the prince that was denied his throne, and the show uses that to make for a compelling dark side character outside of the traditional master-apprentice relationship. He's still evil of course, but his motivations are rooted in all that he was promised and how he was personally scorned, which in turn makes him the perfect foil for Obi-Wan in a way that people could have only hoped for at the end of Phantom Menace.

On topic, I think a reworked Starkiller could have possibly worked, but A) That's potentially an oversaturation of Sam Witwer for one show and B) I feel like you'd either have to drop the Grand inquisitor from the show for Starkiller to serve as the equivalent, or position him as more of a longterm rival to either Kanan or Ezra, starting as a younger inquisitor but becoming more powerful and more like his Legends self as time went on. Which, I mean, could actually work since the Rebels Jedi are rather lacking for arch-enemies - Vader's somewhat too impersonal and beyond their scope, Thrawn's more Hera's enemy - but it would mean taking up a good chunk of the show's already pretty stretched air time to build him up.

Edit:
I'm glad he didn't.

I enjoyed the first Force Unleashed as a moderately entertaining video game and I really like Sam Witwer as an actor, but I really couldn't stand how that series essentially transformed the force from an introspective, spiritual energy into some utterly deranged, Dragon Ball-Z esque superpower which you could use to pull Star Destroyers out of the sky, whilst blasting it out at thousands of stormtroopers at a time. For me, the outrageously silly nature of Starkiller as a character in general sort of demeaned the whole universe, whilst making all the other Jedi characters like Luke and Anakin look hilariously underpowered in comparison.

The sad thing is that shit was already kinda tame by the time the game came out, it's just EU nonsense hadn't really bled into the mainstream at the time.

I'm glad he didn't.

Meh, video game protagonists are sometimes broken. The novels for the games essentially boiled it down to him not being trained to perceive limits to the force. Vader at one point drugged him and left him in a pit to be killed by beasts. While paralyzed, he had to figure out how to use the force to get himself out of the situation.

That's only a portion of what he went through as a child. If you were raised by Darth Vader you'd probably be OP compared to someone who grew up on a moisture farm. It took a huge amount of effort for him to pull that Star Destroyer down.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Me too.

Hopefully Revan will be back soon.

Didn't the Old Republic do some really weird stuff with Revan fairly recently? Like, he ended up becoming evil once more before trying to take over the universe again? Then again, I guess that game isn't exactly canon anymore either.

VeeP

Starkiller, the name, just sounds dope as hell. I think George Lucas planned on making Luke's last name Starkiller but changed it to Skywalker.

I'm really disappointed Disney made the new Death Planet and dubbed it Starkiller base or whatever. I was hoping down the line we would see a reimagining of the Starkiller character. Rework him to better fit the new universe.

Didn't the Old Republic do some really weird stuff with Revan fairly recently? Like, he ended up becoming evil once more before trying to take over the universe again?
Then again, I guess the Old Republic isn't canon anymore either.

Sort of. Basically, IIRC, the idea is that Revan's centuries long torture at the hand of the Emperor kinda broke him, splitting him into a light side version that became one with the force and a force ghost, while his dark side got to keep the body and attempted to 'solve' the problem of the Sith Empire by way of genocide with a... I can't remember if it was a nanovirus or a droid army. Something like that. Why yes, Revan has enough dark and light side for two people because he's Grey Jedi Jesus.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Meh, video game protagonists are sometimes broken.

That doesn't change the fact the protagonist was broken. Nor does it change the fact the character essentially had to break all the previously established rules of the universe that surrounded him to operate the way that he did.

If you were raised by Darth Vader you'd probably be OP compared to someone who grew up on a moisture farm.

I don't really feel that having an abusive childhood is really a valid enough in-universe justification for the character being able to toss Darth Vader around like a dog toy.

giphy.gif

Starkiller, the name, just sounds dope as hell. I think George Lucas planned on making Luke's last name Starkiller but changed it to Skywalker.

I'm really disappointed Disney made the new Death Planet and dubbed it Starkiller base or whatever. I was hoping down the line we would see a reimagining of the Starkiller character. Rework him to better fit the new universe.

TFA took the Starkiller name and Rogue One took the Apprentice's real name, Galen. So if they ever brought him back, they'd have to really rework him.

Didn't the Old Republic do some really weird stuff with Revan fairly recently? Like, he ended up becoming evil once more before trying to take over the universe again? Then again, I guess that game isn't exactly canon anymore either.

It was needlessly complicated and dumb. I think the easiest way to explain it is
part of him dies, but the evil part of him survives and murders all his followers, makes new followers, tries to make an army and then in the midst of being defeated gets visited by the dead part who convinces the evil part to die and merge spirits or some shit.

Me too.

Hopefully Revan will be back soon.

Nah, Revan is one of the best examples of what was wrong with the old EU. He couldn't just be a character from a video game (and some comics), he had to get shoehorned into everything else (in fairness, a lot of that done by Drew Karpynshyn who loved shoving his creation into everything). And he only got worse as a character after the first game and comic books. He's best treated as the sort of blank slate those two pieces of media treated him as and then left alone.

Top Bottom