• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed's Absurd Protagonist Almost Returned for Star Wars: Rebels

border

In what way? I've seen nothing that resembles how ridiculous the force got in the old EU. Like people phasing through walls and turning into super saiyans and shit.

Someone already beat me to helicopterlightsaber.gif, so I'd probably add that making the games canon is inevitably going to screw with canon. Already Battlefront has all these weapons and technologies that don't really exist in the greater universe simply because the developers want to give players a bunch of cool toys to play with.

Between all the novels and ongoing comic books, this will become disheveled and busted as well. Maybe never as absurd as the EU, but those were always sub-canon anyway so they had a license to do crazy shit.

If he was canon would that mean they named Starkiller Base after him? How silly

Starkiller was Luke's original surname. That inspired Starkiller Base's name.

Edit: Ah yeah, I see what you mean. Another reason not to include him.

Didn't Rey master the Milenium Falcon in mere seconds despite only driving land/hover vehicles on Jakku and bested Kylo Ren with years of experience all in the span of about a week?

Didn't Luke destroy the Death Star during his first ever flight in an X-Wing?

There's nothing comparable to Starkiller displayed by either of them really.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I liked Starkiller, a toned-down version of him coulda been great in Rebels. I'd much rather it was him hunting down Ezra/Kanan than the inquisitors tbh.

Wolfe

If that is what is consider "canon"...ok.

I honestly haven't seen much of Rebels outside of a few clips, unfortunately for my own preferences it comes off as quite a bit more aimed squarely at children than Clone Wars was. It may not be great reasoning but I don't deny that that reason plus things like that clip of the chopter blades don't really get me all that interested in checking it out.

I definitely will at some point, likely after it's finished and available on streaming in full (such as how I watched CW), but it's still a bit of a turnoff for me for the reasons above.

JCHandsom

Also he looks like this in the DLC
1090375-use3.jpg

Truly an OC worth not-stealing

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I honestly haven't seen much of Rebels outside of a few clips, unfortunately for my own preferences it comes off as quite a bit more aimed squarely at children than Clone Wars was

This isn't true at all, though I can maybe see why you would think this before watching it. It can get just as real as Clone Wars, and doesn't have any of the tiresome Jar Jar/R2D2/C3PO episodes either.

Also those blade copters are blown way outta proportion. They were used twice in one episode and haven't been seen since.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I honestly haven't seen much of Rebels outside of a few clips, unfortunately for my own preferences it comes off as quite a bit more aimed squarely at children than Clone Wars was. It may not be great reasoning but I don't deny that that reason plus things like that clip of the chopter blades don't really get me all that interested in checking it out.

I definitely will at some point, likely after it's finished and available on streaming in full (such as how I watched CW), but it's still a bit of a turnoff for me for the reasons above.

Star Wars is aimed at children

That's why the idea of canon is stupid, IMO. I get why Disney did it but whatever. Most of the SW stories I really like aren't considered post buyout canon.

Nope.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah he's kind of right, doing starkiller without making him overpowered and borderline super saiyan is basically pointless.

My extremely unpopular and highly inflammatory opinion is that I wish that Filoni and his squad had full control over star wars. Honestly The Clone Wars show and Rebels were all the things I love about star wars and given nearly complete control over how they were done was refreshing.

I would love to get the entire prequel trilogy remade by Filoni at the very least but that'll never happen.

Markitron

Not sure why everyone is so up in arms about a design in a non-canon ending to a non-canon game..........

Tapejara

Also he looks like this in the DLC
https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/5911/1090375-use3.jpg[IMG]

Truly an OC worth not-stealing[/QUOTE]

I mean, you only get this costume if you [TFU1 spoilers] [SPOILER]get the non-canonical (before the whole game was non-canonical) bad ending where you kill Darth Vader[/SPOILER], and then wear it in the DLC packs where you [TFU1 DLC spoilers] [SPOILER]kill Obi-wan twice (first as a human, second time when he's a force ghost) and Luke Skywalker.[/SPOILER] This was always more of a joke thing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I still don't get why people want the PT remade rather than new shit, set in different time eras, not focused on the Kadashians of the Galaxy, the Skywalkers.

Well mostly because the clone wars show had a lot of really great characters and a lot of great storylines that don't get used properly in the prequel movies but they easily could have been explored. And perhaps even able to cement other characters earlier would have been great. But that's just me.

Are Delta Squad canon?

I wanna know what happened to Sev

Yeah I believe they are canon because they were included in an episode of the clone wars but more as a cameo.

Markitron

Are Delta Squad canon?

I wanna know what happened to Sev

Sort of, they were brought back in the Clone Wars. So there is a Delta Squad but none of the events of the game are canon.

Wolfe

Don't be fucking dense, it's clearly aimed at all ages when you look at the OT and the majority of content since then.

This isn't true at all, though I can maybe see why you would think this before watching it. It can get just as real as Clone Wars, and doesn't have any of the tiresome Jar Jar/R2D2/C3PO episodes either.

Don't get me wrong as I suspect this to be the case, I just mean the visual design of the show coupled with things like the inquisitors goofy looking sabers don't do it any justice to it for me before seeing it. I get that it's dumb reasoning.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Didn't Rey master the Milenium Falcon in mere seconds despite only driving land/hover vehicles on Jakku and bested Kylo Ren with years of experience all in the span of about a week?
First one is explained by her involuntarily using the force. Similarly, right at the beginning of Rebels Ezra was able to detect this and react accordingly for the same reason despite it being impossible to know that he was about to get shot:
UExg1SA.gif

She certainly wasn't a master either. Second is due to the following:

Mentally weakened due to this:
kylo-ren-kills-his-father-han-solo.gif

tumblr_o01qugoAeY1v2kafqo1_400.gif

Physically weakened by this:
r7otnWZ.gif

zgDZi.gif

kllW5xd.gif

If Kylo was anywhere near 100% it would've been an easy win since Rey spent the majority of the fight running away.
HxH3krs.gif

but as it stands, the guy who did this earlier in the film:
5695972-giftk2.gif

was so weakened that he couldn't even pull a lightsaber out of snow:
IV9OIkB.gif

Show don't tell.

Markitron

Don't get me wrong as I suspect this to be the case, I just mean the visual design of the show coupled with things like the inquisitors goofy looking sabers don't do it any justice to it for me before seeing it. I get that it's dumb reasoning.

I can see why you would think that, but you should really give it a go. In season 3 it became a better show than Clone Wars for me.

I never played 2

It's not as bad as people make out, and it actually fixed a number of control issues from the first game, but it's so short and uneventful.

Sojgat

Starkiller was fine, everything in those games was heightened. They could've probably made him work on the show just fine.

WillyFive

No joke, The Force Unleashed 1 had a fantastic story, and one of the best Star Wars narratives in the series.

Shame about that sequel though....

It does look silly. But fwiw it's not the spinning blades that make it fly. They have repulsorlift tech in them and the blades have to be ignited for it to work... supposedly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob90p0SoMpY&feature=youtu.be&t=4m44s

At least it's a better explanation than what appears to be happening just by looking at the gif. Still, yeah.

I think this gif gives the show a bad impression, and it doesn't deserve it, I'm a fan of David Filoni and his hat. But the gif is so funny...

JCHandsom

I mean, you only get this costume if you [TFU1 spoilers]
get the non-canonical (before the whole game was non-canonical) bad ending where you kill Darth Vader
, and then wear it in the DLC packs where you [TFU1 DLC spoilers]
kill Obi-wan twice (first as a human, second time when he's a force ghost) and Luke Skywalker.
This was always more of a joke thing.

Never said it was a bad thing, I think it's really entertaining.

Savitar

First one is explained by her involuntarily using the force. She certainly wasn't a master. Second is due to the following:

Show don't tell.

Yup, Ren was hurting by this point. Mentally he wasn't in the game, physically he was likely ready to drop. You see his blood on the ground, he hits himself try and feel something else.

Earlier when a stormtrooper got hit by Chewie's weapon he was blasted and tossed into a flip before crashing. Getting hit in the side by would drop most people and leave them thrashing in pain if they were lucky.

In addition to the fact that the movie specifically shows the power of the Bowcaster repeatedly (it's depicted as literally being able to throw Stormtroopers back several feet), so the fact that he's even standing, let alone fighting through this shows just how powerful Kylo is.

PLUS, there's the fact that Kylo does not want to harm Rey (he wants to recruit her, and Snoke wants to use her) or the lightsaber (which is one of his greatest desires). Meanwhile, Rey outright wants to kill him. And she only turned the tide of the battle when she caught him off-guard and suddenly started attacking far more aggressively, almost out of no where.

IT'S ALL RIGHT THERE IN THE FUCKING MOVIE.

BigDes

Still my favourite opening to a game ever. How have we not had a Vader game yet...........

His fighting style is basically walk slowly toward someone while force choking them

I don't think it would hold up for a full game.

A level here and there sure, but a full game would be slow.

Top Bottom