• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed's Absurd Protagonist Almost Returned for Star Wars: Rebels

You know, the fact that lightsabers aren't just weapons is something I really dislike about the new canon.

They are just weapons though.

Like, swords are also just weapons but most everyone chooses to pack a gun.

People more or less feel like they need a good reason to tote a sword around.

Tapejara

"Grey Jedi" and unique Lightsaber colors (and yeah, I'll throw purple and yellow onto that pile) are just Star Wars versions of heterochromic eyes and brooding, "badass" loner OCs.

Note that I haven't said any of this is inherently bad, just that it is goofy as hell sometimes.

Have you watched TCW and Rebels? Because your assessment of alternate lightsaber colours doesn't really fit with Ahsoka.
Her lightsaber is white to signify that she doesn't have allegiance to Jedi or Sith, but she's not a "badass loner" by any stretch.
She's a light side force user that was unfairly forced out of the order and doesn't feel comfortable calling herself a Jedi, but she's still fights against the Sith and is a member of the rebellion

Additionally, I'm not sure why you consider white, purple, yellow or any colour to be goofy? If the original lightsaber colours had been yellow and green, and then you saw someone use a blue lightsaber would you think it was goofy too?

JCHandsom

I won't even front, I would totally rock a purple lightsaber. That's my favorite color after all! I would just have to deal with everyone else at the Temple rolling their eyes behind my back.

Xero

It probably should be mentioned but you know his powers or the strength of them? That was purely a game thing. They knew it was exaggerated and that was part of the point, to allow you to feel like this super powerful person. They allowed you to go nuts with it. Again, purely a game thing for the player to enjoy.

Any version of the character if he had shown up in the show or what not would not have been THAT powerful. He'd be like your average force user or extremely capable but not nearly on par with what the games had him be like. Fairly sure this was mentioned a few times but tended to get over looked.

And yes his design was generic short haired brown white guy too as was the style at the time.

It wasn't a purely game thing with him throwing vader around like his bitch. Played and beat the first one, but wasn't a fan. Felt like they took all the depth out of the combat from outcast/academy and replaced it with button mashing, and mediocre level design.

It wouldn't stun me to see those who can use the force to have lightsabers with different colors, be it good or not. For the most part it seems a lot of lightsabers were the colors due to the crystals used available to whoever. Some of it probably tradition. Yet if someone had to use whatever a lightsaber a certain color they probably would, granted a Jedi is not likely to use a red one as that is more of a symbol of a group that is evil, has committed crimes etc. Kinda like how we don't use certain symbols due to their past usage from certain people/beliefs etc.

Yeah, I think the color depends on the crystal, not the user who makes it, unless you are a Sith and then the corrupted crystal is red. All the yellow lightsabers belong to the Jedi Temple guards and the purple lightsaber was just Samuel Jackson being Samuel Jackson.

It wouldn't stun me to see those who can use the force to have lightsabers with different colors, be it good or not. For the most part it seems a lot of lightsabers were the colors due to the crystals used available to whoever. Some of it probably tradition. Yet if someone had to use whatever a lightsaber a certain color they probably would, granted a Jedi is not likely to use a red one as that is more of a symbol of a group that is evil, has committed crimes etc. Kinda like how we don't use certain symbols due to their past usage from certain people/beliefs etc.

The Jedi typically don't just get any crystal

It wasn't a purely game thing with him throwing vader around like his bitch. Played and beat the first one, but wasn't a fan. Felt like they took all the depth out of the combat from outcast/academy and replaced it with button mashing, and mediocre level design.

It wasn't meant to be a follow-up to those games though so it's not like they took anything of it.

JCHandsom

Have you watched TCW and Rebels? Because your assessment of alternate lightsaber colours doesn't really fit with Ahsoka.
Her lightsaber is white to signify that she doesn't have allegiance to Jedi or Sith, but she's not a "badass loner" by any stretch.
She's a light side force user that was unfairly forced out of the order and doesn't feel comfortable calling herself a Jedi, but she's still fights against the Sith and is a member of the rebellion

Additionally, I'm not sure why you consider white, purple, yellow or any colour to be goofy? If the original lightsaber colours had been yellow and green, and then you saw someone use a blue lightsaber would you think it was goofy too?

I was responding to the comment that stated she had white lightsabers because she was "neither Jedi nor Sith" and I read that as her being a "Grey Jedi," which is a dumb concept people came up with to be all special, like "I get to be a good guy and have emotions and use some dark side powers and stuff!" I'm sure she's still a fine character, I was more commenting on the trope.

I consider it goofy because I judge it against the original trilogy, which had a very simple binary of blue/good red/bad, with green thrown in because filming a blue lightsaber against a blue sky makes it diffi- I MEAN it's special because Luke made it! If yellow and green where the OG colors, than yeah blue would probably look goofy to me. Again I have to say that I don't even dislike this kind of stuff, just that sometimes I find it funny.

Savitar

Starkillers capabilities was a game thing, the developers said as much, the title even is a statement to it. But people actually believed he was truly that powerful and not just a game mechanic.

Yeah, I think the color depends on the crystal, not the user who makes it, unless you are a Sith and then the corrupted crystal is red. All the yellow lightsabers belong to the Jedi Temple guards and the purple lightsaber was just Samuel Jackson being Samuel Jackson.

I know about what they're suppose to represent when you go deeper, I know about the lightsaber forms, etc. Overall though when it's said and done the color itself is kinda meaningless, anyone can pick up a blue lightsaber and it's still going to be due. And that's because.......

The Jedi typically don't just get any crystal

Their lightsabers are powered by crystals and those crystals are what makes a lightsabers color the way it is. Yellow crystals make yellow, blue make blue etc. Has to be a certain type of crystal or it doesn't usually work. Sith created their own crystal imitations that made theirs typically red.

I was responding to the comment that stated she had white lightsabers because she was "neither Jedi nor Sith" and I read that as her being a "Grey Jedi," which is a dumb concept people came up with to be all special, like "I get to be a good guy and have emotions and use some dark side powers and stuff!" I'm sure she's still a fine character, I was more commenting on the trope.

This is also Drew Karpynshyn's / BioWare's fault.

Before KotOR "Grey Jedi" was pretty much exclusively used for unambiguously light sided characters like Qui-Gon and not the "I can have my cake and eat it too" crowd.

Tapejara

I consider it goofy because I judge it against the original trilogy, which had a very simple binary of blue/good red/bad, with green thrown in because filming a blue lightsaber against a blue sky makes it diffi- I MEAN it's special because Luke made it! If yellow and green where the OG colors, than yeah blue would probably look goofy to me. Again I have to say that I don't even dislike this kind of stuff, just that sometimes I find it funny.

I know, I didn't think you were shitting on it or anything. Was just curious why you considered it to be goofy.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
A lot of adaptations miss the point of what makes the force so cool in the first place, and that is that it doesn't make Jedi even remotely invincible or incredibly powerful, just gives them a noticeable edge. Meanwhile a lot of other SW media straight up makes it ridiculously strong by leaning WAY too much into the space magic side over the borderline sixth sense side in the films. Like when kids do this:
eV24Rxs.gif

kvFLvOR.gif

It's just yawn inducing. To quote Han Solo:
l32iT9B.gif

I get what you are saying but that doesn't really apply to her.
She certainly isn't a loner and is extremely important to the early Rebel Alliance,
she doesn't do any dark side stuff or anything.

She just really didn't appreciate the Jedi Order after what happened in Clone Wars.

Ala Alba

They are just weapons though.

Like, swords are also just weapons but most everyone chooses to pack a gun.

People more or less feel like they need a good reason to tote a sword around.

See then people say stuff like this:

Yeah, I think the color depends on the crystal, not the user who makes it, unless you are a Sith and then the corrupted crystal is red.

A corrupted crystal, really?

JCHandsom

I get what you are saying but that doesn't really apply to her.
She certainly isn't a loner and is extremely important to the early Rebel Alliance,
she doesn't do any dark side stuff or anything.

She just really didn't appreciate the Jedi Order after what happened in Clone Wars.

That's good to hear. The lightsaber color was more of a warning sign for me than an actual indication that she was that kind of character.

Mr_Moogle

I haven't watched any of Clone Wars but bringing back Darth Maul from the dead sounds super lame to me. I get that people like his character design and everything but the whole thing sounds like something out of a B movie or McGuyver.

Ala Alba

Red lightsabers are that color because the dark side Force user wielding them bends the crystal to their will, making it "bleed" so to speak.

Why would they need to "bend the crystal to their will"? It's an inanimate object.

Unless you're saying they have to use magic crystals, in which case we're back to my "I liked lightsabers better when they were just weapons."

Tapejara

I haven't watched any of Clone Wars but bringing back Darth Maul from the dead sounds super lame to me. I get that people like his character design and everything but the whole thing sounds like something out of a B movie or McGuyver.

Watch Clone Wars.

sphagnum

Banned
Why would they need to "bend the crystal to their will"? It's an inanimate object.

Unless you're saying they have to use magic crystals, in which case we're back to my "I liked lightsabers better when they were just weapons."

Kyber crystals aren't alive, but they do commune with the Force. A Jedi finds their kyber crystal during the Gathering ceremony on Ilum where the crystal is revealed to them by the Force. Sith get their crystals by killing Jedi and taking their crystals, then forcing their dominance upon them.

The lightsaber itself is just a tool, but the crystal has indeed been made somewhat special in canon.

Crossing Eden

Literally NOTHING about the storylines in CW should've worked. They all sound terrible on paper
-Anakin has a jedi apprentice
-Obi-wan has a lover who he'd leave the order for
-Everything concerning the nightsisters
-Darth Maul having an apprentice named Savage Oppress
-Ventress meeting Boba Fett not long after he began his bounty hunter career as a child.
-Anakin and Obi-wan meeting the literal personifications of the light side and dark side as well as their creator
-Obi-wan faking his death and getting facial surgery

Just a few examples. There are so many plot lines that on paper sound terrible, but were executed so well. Such a good show lol.

GOD DAMN IT.
I'm a big Starkiller fan and the Inquisitors on Rebels was exactly how I wanted Starkiller reintroduced to canon. From a month ago:

SillyNonsense said:
The whole Inquisitor thing would actually mesh well with a loose version of his previous backstory.
He could be revealed to be the youngest and last surviving Inquisitor now serving directly under Vader after the deaths of the others, a child stolen from a wayward post-66 Jedi who fled the order and started a family.

If they wanted to try and work a loose version of TFU into the story, Vader could send him to infiltrate the Ghost crew pretending to by an ally. Ultimately Kanan Jarrus would play the role of Kota and set him on a path that would lead him to dying while protecting the Ghost from being captured by Vader at the battle of Scariff.

Slots right in there. Proxy on Rebels would be sublime. However there's only one season left and it's not going to happen.

So close, so close...

A lot of adaptations miss the point of what makes the force so cool in the first place, and that is that it doesn't make Jedi even remotely invincible or incredibly powerful, just gives them a noticeable edge. Meanwhile a lot of other SW media straight up makes it ridiculously strong by leaning WAY too much into the space magic side over the borderline sixth sense side in the films. Like when kids do this:

It's just yawn inducing. To quote Han Solo:
l32iT9B.gif

Yea that's my beef with some of the EU stuff that dealt with the force. Prime offenders for me are Old Republic, Force Unleashed, and in Dark Empire when the Emperor creates a force storm in space, but Luke and Leia turn it against him, swallowing up him and his super star destroyer.

That's good to hear. The lightsaber color was more of a warning sign for me than an actual indication that she was that kind of character.
That reason also plays into how they redeemed Anakin as a character, and making his turn less ridiculous and silly sounding.

Clone Wars really didn't make a lot of the Jedi Order look too great.
Particularly Mace Windu.

ryseing

I always thought that in the OT the Force was limited by its users, and that a trained, in their physical prime Force user would be able to do some crazy shit. After all, being able to commune with the Force is an ability given only to one in a billion life forms. Such a rare ability should have the potential to move mountains.

I dunno- maybe I just like the flashy stuff.

LionPride

Banned
You can tell when someone ain't watched Clone Wars because they think the Maul thing is dumb and not genuinely good and worked well

Crossing Eden

The Force is like SSJ. Eventually everyone gets to be one and do some crazy shit with it.
In the old EU, in the new canon it's way more reigned in. No fireballs, healing powers, phasing through walls, space storms, and literal super saiyan transformations here.

You can tell when someone ain't watched Clone Wars because they think the Maul thing is dumb and not genuinely good and worked well
True.

I like Starkiller more than any of the leads in the new trilogy lol.
So you like the generic edge lord template used for every white male protagonist from 2002 on better than a bunch of really well done characters with nuance to each of them?

..... K

Man, I remember when Cade could bring people back from near death.
So you like the generic edge lord template used for every white male protagonist from 2002 on better than a bunch of really well done characters with nuance to each of them?

..... K
Pfffft... Rey is just another white male template.

Kyber crystals aren't alive, but they do commune with the Force. A Jedi finds their kyber crystal during the Gathering ceremony on Ilum where the crystal is revealed to them by the Force. Sith get their crystals by killing Jedi and taking their crystals, then forcing their dominance upon them.

The lightsaber itself is just a tool, but the crystal has indeed been made somewhat special in canon.

Again, if there's any comparison to be made with Harry Potter wands, it's in the kyber crystals. They do seemingly have a connection with their Jedi now, though it's not like they only turn on for just their primary owner.

Maul was cut in half and fell into a bottomless reactor shaft.

He's back you say? Hm.

That Boba Fett retcon doesn't seem as bad now.

Basically he clung to life out of sheer hatred for Obi-Wan, though over a decade or so just kinda went insane. When his brother (yes, he has a brother) finds him, he slowly gets on the mend, picks up some legs, and tries to strike out on his own from Sidious. It actually works and provides some of the rivalry with Obi-Wan that honestly should have been part of the prequels in general.

Top Bottom