• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed's Absurd Protagonist Almost Returned for Star Wars: Rebels

SpaceWolf

Banned
Sort of. Basically, IIRC, the idea is that Revan's centuries long torture at the hand of the Emperor kinda broke him, splitting him into a light side version that became one with the force and a force ghost, while his dark side got to keep the body and attempted to 'solve' the problem of the Sith Empire by way of genocide with a... I can't remember if it was a nanovirus or a droid army. Something like that. Why yes, Revan has enough dark and light side for two people because he's Grey Jedi Jesus.

I...I didn't think the force worked that way.

Video games, I guess.

Didn't the Old Republic do some really weird stuff with Revan fairly recently? Like, he ended up becoming evil once more before trying to take over the universe again? Then again, I guess that game isn't exactly canon anymore either.

I honestly didn't like the story for the Old Republic.

I'm glad he didn't.

I enjoyed the first Force Unleashed as a moderately entertaining video game and I really like Sam Witwer as an actor, but I really couldn't stand how that series essentially transformed the force from an introspective, spiritual energy into some utterly deranged, Dragon Ball-Z esque superpower which you could use to pull Star Destroyers out of the sky, whilst blasting it out at thousands of stormtroopers at a time. For me, the outrageously silly nature of Starkiller as a character in general sort of demeaned the whole universe, whilst making all the other Jedi characters like Luke and Anakin look hilariously underpowered in comparison.

Genndy Tartakovski's Clone Wars also portrays Jedi with Dragon Ball Z-esque super powers, but it bothers me less because it took established characters and made them cool, instead of introducing a new character who was actually the most powerful, special and important dude ever.

Snaku

Banned
The more grounded Disney canon? The one where the inquisitors use their spinning double bladed lightsabers as helicopters to fly away?

Nah, Revan is one of the best examples of what was wrong with the old EU. He couldn't just be a character from a video game (and some comics), he had to get shoehorned into everything else (in fairness, a lot of that done by Drew Karpynshyn who loved shoving his creation into everything). And he only got worse as a character after the first game and comic books. He's best treated as the sort of blank slate those two pieces of media treated him as and then left alone.

I didn't mean make everything his even been canon. But to bring him back like Thrawn.

To be fair, it's probably only a matter of time until that happen. There have been a huge amount of nods to the Old Republic timeline, like the Hammerhead Corvette seeing in Rogue One.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I liked Starkiller. I had no idea he wasn't liked. I'm even more shocked that I also saw someone in this thread refer to Darth Maul as a turd. What's next? Rogue One isn't considered good? Pod Racing sucked?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I liked Starkiller. I had no idea he wasn't liked. I'm even more shocked that I also saw someone in this thread refer to Darth Maul as a turd. What's next? Rogue One isn't considered good? Pod Racing sucked?

Yes and yes.

Tobor

Well, both of those are true, so I guess you can be even more shocked.

Savitar

It probably should be mentioned but you know his powers or the strength of them? That was purely a game thing. They knew it was exaggerated and that was part of the point, to allow you to feel like this super powerful person. They allowed you to go nuts with it. Again, purely a game thing for the player to enjoy.

Any version of the character if he had shown up in the show or what not would not have been THAT powerful. He'd be like your average force user or extremely capable but not nearly on par with what the games had him be like. Fairly sure this was mentioned a few times but tended to get over looked.

And yes his design was generic short haired brown white guy too as was the style at the time.

I'm still mad I didn't pick up the LEGO set.

81hqsgwetls._sl1450_wzsm7.jpg

I will name my first born Savage Opress, cause that is what you name a kid who will do great things

In fairness, he was born into a society of warrior slaves controlled by evil force witches. Giving your kids an intimidating name might give them an edge later on.

Hopefully Revan will be back soon.

If the 7-8-9 trilogy is followed up by an even somewhat faithful Knights of the Old Republic trilogy... My god

It probably should be mentioned but you know his powers or the strength of them? That was purely a game thing. They knew it was exaggerated and that was part of the point, to allow you to feel like this super powerful person. They allowed you to go nuts with it. Again, purely a game thing for the player to enjoy.

Any version of the character if he had shown up in the show or what not would not have been THAT powerful. He'd be like your average force user or extremely capable but not nearly on par with what the games had him be like. Fairly sure this was mentioned a few times but tended to get over looked.

And yes his design was generic short haired brown white guy too as was the style at the time.

Incidentally, I think Witwer himself (or someone else with reasonable authority on the matter, maybe Hidalgo) lampooned the whole 'dragged down a Star Destroyer' thing by noting they were probably just using the force on the poor bastard at the controls, not the whole ship.

I think it did really well with non-force related aspects for the most part but it stumbled hard with almost anything related to Jedi or Sith.

That's a good point. Whenever I play Star Wars games, I want to explore or do things that are not force related.

This stems from me playing Star Wars Galaxies a lot and it's a rich universe even without the Jedi or Sith.

Can someone explain why starkiller is so bad?

He's an angsty, overpowered, agency-less dipshit who gets jerked around and who only exists to be edgy and overpowered, only for the story to suddenly go "oh, he was actually the most super important dude ever".

"Fan-Fiction" gets tossed around alot, but Starkiller and The Force Unleashed is textbook bad fanfic. There's nothing to him or the story that exists beyond mind numbing wish fulfillment.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can someone explain why starkiller is so bad?
Basically a poster child for why video game adaptations can be so tacky. Single handedly is the reason why the alliance is forged, was just born with an incredibly high affinity for the force so much so that Darth Vader thought he was a jedi master as a child. Literally uses the force to pull objects out of space and can go toe to toe not only against Darth Vader,
but also can hold his own against the emperor. Hell he can even survive being stabbed this long with a lightsaber:
dqeEqqB.gif

Just a five second stab is able to kill Qui Jon by comparison:
ZojZclf.gif

Just a simple Very textbook video game power fantasy. Next time video games tackle lightsabers it should really strive to feel grounded and visceral over being yet another variation of Kratos.

Basically a poster child for why video game adaptations can be so tacky. Single handedly is the reason why the alliance is forged, was just born with an incredibly high affinity for the force so much so that Darth Vader thought he was a jedi master as a child. Literally uses the force to pull objects out of space and can go toe to toe not only against Darth Vader, but also can hold his own against the emperor.

Probably his biggest crime.

border

The videogame hero, if introduced in anything like his form in 2008's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, would have damn near broken the new canon.

I have to imagine the new canon is already pretty busted and broken by this point.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have to imagine the new canon is already pretty busted and broken by this point.
In what way? I've seen nothing that resembles how ridiculous the force got in the old EU. Like people phasing through walls and turning into super saiyans and shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Basically a poster child for why video game adaptations can be so tacky. Single handedly is the reason why the alliance is forged, was just born with an incredibly high affinity for the force so much so that Darth Vader thought he was a jedi master as a child. Literally uses the force to pull objects out of space and can go toe to toe not only against Darth Vader,
but also can hold his own against the emperor. Hell he can even survive being stabbed this long with a lightsaber:.

Didn't Rey master the Milenium Falcon in mere seconds despite only driving land/hover vehicles on Jakku and bested Kylo Ren with years of experience all in the span of about a week?

JCHandsom

Well, both of those are true, so I guess you can be even more shocked.

giphy.gif

Starkiller is adorably edgy. TFU was worth it just for the ridiculous Alternate Universe Star Wars DLC, where he electrocutes Obi-Wan's Force Ghost and manipulates Luke into becoming his apprentice at the end.

Didn't Rey master the Milenium Falcon in mere seconds despite only driving land/hover vehicles on Jakku and bested Kylo Ren with years of experience all in the span of about a week?

Context, what is it?

mcrommert

Banned
He is no worse then any other Star Wars characters. Just people put the property on a pedestal and blind to how poopoo it is.

Not Clone wars or Rebels, them and the Thawn books are the best the IP has ever been.

Why do you forget x wing and I, jedi

Also there were moments in new Jedi order though tonally that is no longer star wars

I sincerely hope whoever came up with that idea was fired and now works at a Burger King.

I believe it was David Fillone, and he is one of the most competent guys working in the Star Wars franchise right now.

Even competent people have some bad ideas from time to time.

And maybe it was not as silly as it looks? I don't really follow Rebels.

Top Bottom