• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed's Absurd Protagonist Almost Returned for Star Wars: Rebels

Wolfe

I can see why you would think that, but you should really give it a go. In season 3 it became a better show than Clone Wars for me.

I was planning on going through it once it hits Netflix, which who knows when that will be obviously but that was how I caught CW as well so I was just going to wait. Won't deny that I'm looking forward to seeing it though.

I think it wasn't that. My interpretation is that the lightsaber didn't want to go to him.

Lightsabers aren't like the wands from Harry Potter ;p
Though given what TFA did in that regard I can see thinking that though, so I can't really blame ya.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
His fighting style is basically walk slowly toward someone while force choking them

I don't think it would hold up for a full game.

A level here and there sure, but a full game would be slow.

8 hours of that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I'm sure a developer could easily figure it out anyway.

I was planning on going through it once it hits Netflix, which who knows when that will be obviously but that was how I caught CW as well so I was just going to wait. Won't deny that I'm looking forward to seeing it though.

It's ending next March so it might be sooner than you think, on the other hand Disney might have pulled all of it's content from Netflix before it releases to streaming platforms.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think it wasn't that. My interpretation is that the lightsaber didn't want to go to him.
I don't think it would have a choice in the matter. Kylo doesn't seem to use the force at all after pushing Rey into the tree.

Amazing body acting by Daisy Ridley. I'm completely sold that she's being frozen by the Force.
Ain't that the truth. <3

Ivan 3414

I'm not a Star Wars fan and I've never played the Force Unleashed outside of a demo, but Starkiller was awesome in Soul Calibur IV, as ill-fitting his appearance was.

Even his voice acting was great, leaps and bounds above the other performances in talent and expression

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If they didn't get him in Rebels, they'll get his ass for whatever Filoni's working on next.

watch.

Assuming his next show is set during the events of the OT, there could be a really interesting story there about Vader ditching Starkiller when he finds out about Luke.

So while I realize Starkiller isn't a good character, I do wish he was in the show.

Simply because Star Wars Rebels already isn't an entertaining show. It's a boring episodic slog that only has a handful of genuinely solid episodes.

Throwing in some of the more goofy aspects of the Star Wars canon couldn't hurt it too much when it's already boring as hell. I'd take a poorly written entertaining show over one that puts me to sleep.

Crossing Eden

So while I realize Starkiller isn't a good character, I do wish he was in the show.

Simply because Star Wars Rebels already isn't an entertaining show. It's a boring episodic slog that only has a handful of genuinely solid episodes.

Throwing in some of the more goofy aspects of the Star Wars canon couldn't hurt it too much when it's already boring as hell. I'd take a poorly written entertaining show over one that puts me to sleep.
It's certainly no CW that's for sure, especially the visuals. Clone Wars was just too good because of that massive budget. But Rebels does have it's moments:
EGfy10D.gif

Markitron

This is honestly one of my favourite lightsaber fights.
While some were disappointed it was so brief, the duel conveys so much about how Maul and Obi-wan have developed as characters.

I had my doubts about how they were going to portray a fight between these two, but they pulled it off perfectly.

Crossing Eden

While some were disappointed it was so brief, the duel conveys so much about how Maul and Obi-wan have developed as characters.
So much attention to detail.

Of course Maul should have fucking died at the end of Season 2 and the reasoning for him not dying was pretty garbage considering what his end actually was.

But yeah, it was a cool fight.

border

When did Darth Maul get his legs back?

A+++ YouTube Comment:
"The fight would have had a completely different outcome had the terrain not affected things. Maul's first strike was almost completely absorbed by the coarse sand, which by that point had pretty much gotten everywhere.&#65279;"

Markitron

When did Darth Maul get his legs back?

In the Clone Wars. He has gone thru various sets of legs. At first his torso was connected to a mechanical spider body (which was fucking stupid), then he had armored legs (kinda like Grievous) before ending up with more standard legs in Rebels.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
It was needlessly complicated and dumb. I think the easiest way to explain it is
part of him dies, but the evil part of him survives and murders all his followers, makes new followers, tries to make an army and then in the midst of being defeated gets visited by the dead part who convinces the evil part to die and merge spirits or some shit.

Nah, Revan is one of the best examples of what was wrong with the old EU. He couldn't just be a character from a video game (and some comics), he had to get shoehorned into everything else (in fairness, a lot of that done by Drew Karpynshyn who loved shoving his creation into everything). And he only got worse as a character after the first game and comic books. He's best treated as the sort of blank slate those two pieces of media treated him as and then left alone.

True. The story of revan in KOTOR 1/2 and some comics was fantastic and pretty definitive, but he got to over expososed

Starkiller was alright and the game was great as a fun over the top force user, but put him in the movie and to universe and he becomes a stupidly over powered character

Luke and yoda struggled to lift up a Y Wing (?). Star Killer pulled down an entire fucking star destroyer.

Savitar

I dislike the CGI Clone Wars and Rebels much of the time, but it did have a nice moment or two like that. It felt more like a true duel, despite what movies and TV would have us believe sword fights, especially with lightsabers are going to be about as long as that actual fight. Epic minute long fights are more stories than anything.

He considered Starkiller for Rebels.

He'll consider him again. Dude loves dumb ideas like this.
Maybe The Force Unleashed 3 will finally happen.
/s
I dislike the CGI Clone Wars and Rebels much of the time, but it did have a nice moment or two like that. It felt more like a true duel, despite what movies and TV would have us believe sword fights, especially with lightsabers are going to be about as long as that actual fight. Epic minute long fights are more stories than anything.
At this point both of them are old and tired. It makes sense how that fight went down.

Basically a teenage self insert for a "badass" firce user complete with insertion in the canon in an obnoxious way. So like most VG main characters really.

Well I mean look at the other initially Lucas forced Anakin/Vader apprentice...
and how well that was actually handled by Filoni and crew.

RyanW

Assuming his next show is set during the events of the OT, there could be a really interesting story there about Vader ditching Starkiller when he finds out about Luke.

A lot of the comics have covered both Vader and Luke & the gang between IV and V so that's not gonna happen

The shows canonized yellow-green, yellow, black, and white as lightsaber colors. Ahsoka has white sabers to signify her non-allegiance to Jedi or Sith.

While in story, it's because she purified a couple of lightsaber crystals from inquisitors, which were themselves the corrupted crystals of now dead Jedi.

...So I guess if you wanted to make the comparison of Lightsabers to Harry Potter wands, it'd be more the crystals that should be the focus of the argument. Because those are personal and have some mystical hoodoo about their owner, hence dark siders have to bend them to their will.

I really loved the TFU, I mean it can't beat Jedi Academy or Jedi Knight II or Kotor2 but damn dude.

Starkiller was my boy for awhile, I really liked the fact the dude was so powerful he could throw Darth Vader through shit and bring down imperial star destroyers with his mind.

Dude was insanely powerful. I also loved the Euphoria physics they used in it.

Fiddy bucks says the Vong show up just so they can do a run on Legacy at some point.

Filoni was going to do it, he still might.
latest

Dude was insanely powerful. I also loved the Euphoria physics they used in it.

I remember watching the video showcasing the physics, with an astromech being thrown against walls made of metal, glass, and wood. It hyped me up until I played the PS2 version and none of that was in it. :(

Crossing Eden

It's a series about space wizards.

Just embrace the dumb shit.
Them NOT embracing the dumb shit is what makes it so good in the first place. Give me emotion over spectacle anyday of the week. Insane how satisfying this is:
c65b5e1b129e17340d515c6b79e61d7a.gif

vs this:
USEFs0A.gif

You know Star Wars loves to do that. Is there a Sith who's lightsaber wasn't red?
Eh he was LTTP, first thing he was gonna do was make a red one after the whole Jedi purge thing.

Tapejara

Star Wars was never hard sci-fi, so there's a level of goofy I'm willing to accept. I.e. Maul with spider legs is stupid as hell but it comprises one or two scenes in a single episode so I end up just filing it away.

JCHandsom

Y'all know light saber colors having meaning, and being more then blue and green was started by kotor, yeah?

"Grey Jedi" and unique Lightsaber colors (and yeah, I'll throw purple and yellow onto that pile) are just Star Wars versions of heterochromic eyes and brooding, "badass" loner OCs.

Note that I haven't said any of this is inherently bad, just that it is goofy as hell sometimes.

Savitar

It wouldn't stun me to see those who can use the force to have lightsabers with different colors, be it good or not. For the most part it seems a lot of lightsabers were the colors due to the crystals used available to whoever. Some of it probably tradition. Yet if someone had to use whatever a lightsaber a certain color they probably would, granted a Jedi is not likely to use a red one as that is more of a symbol of a group that is evil, has committed crimes etc. Kinda like how we don't use certain symbols due to their past usage from certain people/beliefs etc.

Top Bottom