• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
1m19.184s for Webber....

I really hope other teams havent been trying so far =/ I dont think i could stick another season of Red Bull domination

Don't fall into the trap of putting much stock into the testing times, for comparison here's last years times for day two:

1. Michael Schumacher Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 20.352s
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 20.413s
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m 21.613s
4. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m 21.614s
5. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m 21.857s
6. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 22.019s
7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m 22.445s
8. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m 22.591s
9. Vitaly Petrov Lotus Renault GP-Renault 1m 23.041s
10. Jarno Trulli Team Lotus-Renault 1m 23.216s
11. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m 25.874s​

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
exactly, sandbag duals thats all it is

It's not even that at this stage, they don't have the luxury of sandbagging with the limited amount of track testing they get during the offseason now.

The teams have their own varied testing procedures and schedule, they want data about all sorts of scenarios and balance / set-up changes, in addition to things like getting data to improve the simulator accuracy for the new cars. The lap times can only be taken in isolation and the variance between teams times means nothing at this stage.

Ricciardo: 1m19.605s

Real deal or The Real Deal?

Good to see Toro Rosso seem to have kept up the progression from about half way through last year.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's not even that at this stage, they don't have the luxury of sandbagging with the limited amount of track testing they get during the offseason now.

The teams have their own varied testing procedures and schedule, they want data about all sorts of scenarios and balance / set-up changes, in addition to things like getting data to improve the simulator accuracy for the new cars. The lap times can only be taken in isolation and the variance between teams times means nothing at this stage.
I'd put more stock on the final days of testing than at this stage. We all remember what the BGP 001 did as well as the F2004 and so on and so fourth.

Schumacher Mercedes 1m18.622s 27
Getting there now.

Osiris

what site's do you guys follow to get your information about the tests?

Autosport.com's live blog is quite good, although sometimes a little over dramatic :)

NHale

So which teams are running their car under the minimum weight allowed so they can achieve the top of the time sheets in Winter testing and fool a company to sign a sponsorship deal?

It didn't work with HRT last year but you never know.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Truly a Swan amongst Vultures.

ibtIPdCiilfiNR.png

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bookmakers odds for the second Ferrari seat in 2013.
Robert Kubica 1:4
Mark Webber 1:5
Felipe Massa 1:5
Sergio Perez 1:8
Bruno Senna 15:1
Michael Schumacher 51:1
Jeremy Clarkson 1000:1
One of these is not like the others.

Osiris

Edmond Dantès;34946957 said:

You're right, Massa just isn't in the running for it. :D ;)

Adamm

So which teams are running their car under the minimum weight allowed so they can achieve the top of the time sheets in Winter testing and fool a company to sign a sponsorship deal?

It didn't work with HRT last year but you never know.

Sauber did that the year before last. They were topping time sheets all winter but near the bottom when the season started.
It was the year thier car had basically no sponsors, after BMW pulled out

Kimi for 20/1 (or 25/1 on Sky) is worth it for a giggle. But otherwise not much to go for; unless you fancy 1/9 on Alonso to beat Massa - such confidence in Massa's abilities lol

A bet for Kimi would be madness.

Webber for 14/1 is slightly tempting... but in my heart I know that's not a smart bet. Still tempting to put a fiver on to support the sexy bastard, though.

Lucius86

Banned
"As you know, Mercedes are the only top team here in Jerez who are running an old 2011 car. The word on the street is that the reason they are not here with a 2012 car is that they are trying to hide a clever new front wing they have developed - they don't want their rivals to see it too early. It seems the word is already out, though."

I hope it has rocket launchers and hookers on it. That would be epic.

Edmond Dantès;34946957 said:

Yeah, Bruno Senna. Hack trading off his uncles good name.

It will be interesting to see the ultimate speed of these new cars. They've lost both the standard and off-throttle blow diffuser and the rules are so tight now it's going to take some serious genius to claw back the time. Might be hard to tell due to new Pirellis though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Mika Salo doubts Newey's nose inlet claims
“The hole is really big compared to what it was before. Surely the cooling air goes somewhere else, such as cooling the KERS system. The driver does not need that much air and this would be the first time in history of F1 where I hear of someone thinking about cooling the driver,” said Salo.
Source

This season's flexi-wing or do RBR have something else up their sleeves.

Edmond Dantès;34947510 said:
Mika Salo doubts Newey's nose inlet claims

Source

This season's flexi-wing or do RBR have something else up their sleeves.
Certainly must be partly true as there is no hole at the front anymore. But if it's for cooling KERS too, is there any issue? I don't see how that might give them an unfair advantage.

Think how many pizzas I can buy with £75 when Webber takes the gold!
Hehe. I wish you all the best! I'd love to see him win it.

I'm surprised the odds were so short. If the Red Bull is good enough this year then the finger wins it, no question. Maybe they take into account risk of injury, or some rabid Webber fan kidnapping Vettel.

S. L.

I'm surprised the odds were so short. If the Red Bull is good enough this year then the finger wins it, no question. Maybe they take into account risk of injury, or some rabid Webber fan kidnapping Vettel.

the odds come from all those nutjobs betting in favor of webber :p

Adamm

Theres some nice odds on paddy power for predicting 1st & 2nd.
Webber first & Button 2nd is 40/1
Vettel first & Hamilton 2nd is 5/1

Omiee

You don't even hide the fact you are Alonso.

Question is - which poor soul is Massa?

lol, i dont think we have massa fans here.

for sure nobody wants to be his fan.

for sure thats a bad thing to be.

for sure you would get frustrated every race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom