• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011 Season of Vettel Fingering the Competition |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgun

Templar Wizard said:
Got my tickets for China and Sinapore! will try to make Suzuka too.

the greatest places for action will be DRS zones. if you go to races, make SURE you are sitting/standing there.
Of course Red Bull are complaining about the system, they will be the main target for the system. Ferrari and their comments about 'oh its simple to use, VERY easy' :)
I can see Alonso scratching at vettels ass for the season.

here comes the year of Alonso!

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/9100/9177.jpg

Double hoverhand! :)

I would love to be at the Suzuka race, have yet to go to any kind of motor racing event :(

VISIT BEAUTIFUL VENEZUELA
171743.jpg

John_B

Will there be a bonus question in the fantasy league before this race, or will the bonus questions start from next week on?

Orgun said:
Double hoverhand! :)

I would love to be at the Suzuka race, have yet to go to any kind of motor racing event :(

if you have a track close to you, find out the program and go to the see the most powerful series. I find the best places to view are the medium speed corners into straights. you really see the speed.

if you want to see overtaking: hairpins.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Articate said:
We saw Schumacher getting more and more back into form later in the season, in comparison to Rosberg. The way I viewed is was that when Schumacher came to F1 he already had yeeaars of competitive racing behind him. Last year was his first year in three years, and he can have that year to get back into form. I don't think Rosberg being beaten by Schumie will warrent his downfall; people will remember who he's up against.

I think it will be closer this years. Haters are gonna say it's the car, lovers are gonna say it's Schumacher. I say it's Schumacher <3
There's a section of fans who will think that sadly, the argument being if he can't beat a 42 year old Schumacher, how would he fare against Alonso, who was already matching Schumacher in 2006 and has certainly progressed a great deal since then and Lewis who's proven to be just as good as Alonso, not to mention Vettel who might just have more raw speed than the aforementioned drivers, but lacks their completeness at the moment.

Personally, I think it's a silly argument, because there are so many variables to take into account, but it's just something I've come across on other forums.

I certainly think it'll be closer this year, and it will be one of the more interesting intra-team battles.

Orgun

Templar Wizard said:
if you have a track close to you, find out the program and go to the see the most powerful series. I find the best places to view are the medium speed corners into straights. you really see the speed.

if you want to see overtaking: hairpins.

Hmm Silverstone is only a few miles away, might have to try there.

operon

Loving the op great job, thread subscribed really pumped over this, might stay up tonight to watch first practise.

Has to be the Year of the "Real KIng" Schumi

Chris R

S. L. said:
nope, only between races
Bah, I woke up this morning (just like 5 mins ago) and was like... oh shit! BONUS QUESTION!!!

At least I got my bets in, because when I made my team there weren't any of the yes/no questions up, but they are now.

Orgun

Decided to follow S.L.'s advice and changed up my Drivers/Engine/Chassis choices for the fantasy league.

AndyD

aka andydumi
rhfb said:
Bah, I woke up this morning (just like 5 mins ago) and was like... oh shit! BONUS QUESTION!!!

At least I got my bets in, because when I made my team there weren't any of the yes/no questions up, but they are now.

To be clear, there is no bonus question but there are bets.

Itll be an interesting start to the season that's for sure.

S. L.

Orgun said:
Decided to follow S.L.'s advice and changed up my Drivers/Engine/Chassis choices for the fantasy league.
I just saw i wrote Tyres, what i meant was Fuel -_-
Fuel should be pretty high on your priority list as it is pretty cheap to buy the best fuel (usually Total) and will rake in money early in the game

@Leunam maybe you can change that in the op :|

Mr. Sam

Impressive OP. Liked the preview I got in the last thread, too.

I'm here, I'm queer and I don't want any more bears!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is that Alonso's wife/gf above?

Also we are missing livery shots of each team in the OP. Since some of them are dramatically different from the past.

Deadman

S. L. said:
I just saw i wrote Tyres, what i meant was Fuel -_-
Fuel should be pretty high on your priority list as it is pretty cheap to buy the best fuel (usually Total) and will rake in money early in the game

@Leunam maybe you can change that in the op :|

Give out less f1racemanager secrets plz, i wish to win a 2nd hat so i can start my tower of hats.

Leunam

AndyD said:
Also we are missing livery shots of each team in the OP. Since some of them are dramatically different from the past.

That's a good idea. I may get a chance to work on that tonight if no one does it first.

S. L.

Deadman said:
Give out less f1racemanager secrets plz, i wish to win a 2nd hat so i can start my tower of hats.
the real secret is using excel sheets to pre-calculate possible scenarios :p

h3ro

So hyped for the season to finally start! Feels like it's been forever since the last race. I really hope Ferrari makes better decisions on the pitwall and don't too many panic decisions... Damn you Petrov!

Forza Ferrari and Alonso!! Woooooo

TylerD

Orgun said:
If I can convince some people to go then I will definitely be there :)

This is incorrect. You don't need anyone else to go with you. I went to Montreal for a week by myself and had the time of my life. Chat up the people you sit next to since if you go multiple days they may be there too.

Once you see, hear, and FEEL (down changes for the win) this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bCTiZlkUc in person your life will have new meaning. :D

I went without earplugs for a little while during my time at the track. It wasn't that bad until there were lots of cars running. I had chill bumps through all of FP1.

Can't wait for Austin in 2012!

Ark

Great OP Leunam :)

So excited for this weekend, think I might just get up a bit earlier tomorrow and watch some FP2 before I head off to college.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Awesome OP Leunam.

Well, we are finally here, the start of the F1 2011 season. While I feel for the people of Bahrain at this time I cannot be sad for the loss of the race as that track is abysmal!

So, onto Albert Park, onto Australia! F1 2011 brings us movable rear wings controlled by the might that is Charlie Whiting, the return of KERS and the re-birth of Michael Schumacher? Only two of those things is good and frankly those wings are a silly idea.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Practice 1, which of course, is 1:30am in the UK, meaning that I will be dead on my feet at work tomorrow, yey! Still, it's worth it, if only to see if McLaren can close the gap the Ferrari and RBR.

Right, in the interests of full disclosure, and of course for new people to this thread (The regs know how I roll), I will states a few things about myself to make sure any misconceptions of particular bias is out of the window from the start:

1: I am a Jenson Button fan. When David Coulthard was racing, my loyalty went to him, and I welcome his inclusion in the BBC commentary team for 2011, but this means that my 2nd favourite British drive gets my attention. So when I say that this is Buttons's year etc, I may be hoping more than expecting this, even with the Pirelli tyres helping drivers like himself.

2: I like Red Bull Racing. This is due to Coulthard, again, and the impact he had on the team. While of course he is gone and they have become a serious outfit, the legacy of being the fun team of F1 remains.

3: I do not like Ferrari. This was not always so, back before the Schumacher/Brawn partnership, I liked the plucky red cars with Alesi and Berger at the helm. This all changed when Schumacher came along and started his ways, while Brawn kepts the FIA on side by staring at Mosley until he was too scared to say no, indeed upon the signing the Ferrari International Association" deal making Ferrari the main benefactor of the F1 coffers, I decided that they didn't deserve anything other than my contempt. oh, and having that whiny bastard driving for them doesn't help. I like Massa though, and I feel for the poor lad.

4: I have a...thing with avaya. We have an understanding on GAF, when either of us says something, the other one WILL call them wrong, no matter what. It just seems to be the case that we never seem to agree on anything, and don't have any issues making that abundantly clear. I have nothing personally against the guy, but if you ever see any randomly nasty posts from either of us, that's probably why!

Right, that's out of the way, onto the racing! For now, I invite you all to the F1 2010 GAF Steam Group, where chat about the racing would be very good to see, given the real-time nature of the sport. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F1GAF

I'll get round to making a F1 2011 Group at some point, if demand is there.

Ark

Stop It said:
Right, in the interests of full disclosure, and of course for new people to this thread (The regs know how I roll), I will states a few things about myself to make sure any misconceptions of particular bias is out of the window from the start:

1: I am a Jenson Button fan.

So you are biased? :p

Guess I should put this out there too:

I'm a 'neutral' fan. I support every driver & team (Although I have a large hate for HRT and their two drivers this year). I wouldn't even consider myself biased towards Hamilton/Button/Di Resta, I spent most of 2010 wanting Webber to win the title, and it's likely I'll spend most of 2011 doing the same.

EDIT: I would join the steam group, but the only time I ever look away from the TV during an F1 race is when the race is incredibly boring (Hello Malaysia 2010), which means there's probably nothing to talk about!

Holy f'ing shiznat. That KERS "boost button" sounds like some true video game shit. That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've heard about in racing in... forever.

Stop It

Ark said:
So you are biased? :p

Guess I should put this out there too:

I'm a 'neutral' fan. I support every driver & team (Although I have a large hate for HRT and their two drivers this year). I wouldn't even consider myself biased towards Hamilton/Button/Di Resta, I spent most of 2010 wanting Webber to win the title, and it's likely I'll spend most of 2011 doing the same.

EDIT: I would join the steam group, but the only time I ever look away from the TV during an F1 race is when the race is incredibly boring (Hello Malaysia 2010), which means there's probably nothing to talk about!
Ah, the joys of having a HDTV and a PC monitor next to each other (I use the HDTV as my primary PC gaming monitor too), it allows you to watch and chat/check the live timings at the same time.

Anyway, yes, I have my leaning when it comes to my likings of F1 drivers, however, I will cheer on most of the racers as they are really talented drivers and deserve acclaim. The only exception is when Alonso throws his toys out, but even so, if he drives well I do not hold it against him...too much!

DeuceMojo said:
Holy f'ing shiznat. That KERS "boost button" sounds like some true video game shit. That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've heard about in racing in... forever.
It's also not new. Lower formulas of racing like the Palmer Audi series, and soon the TOCA UK Touring Car series (MAY USE, depending on how they want to power boost the NGTC to 400hp as mentioned in the NGTC regs) use an overboost button, the only difference is the fact that these versions were just boost buttons, rather than KERS powered.

Lucius86

Banned
I am glad my single greatest contribution to the thread is coming up with the theme of the OT title.

I have already told friends I can't make Saturday night so I can get up to watch the race. At long fucking last.

Adamm

Awesome OP.

Im away all weekend so i will miss all the action :(

So i plan to record it & try to avoid hearing anything about it until i come back & watch it all on monday.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
I am glad my single greatest contribution to the thread is coming up with the theme of the OT title.

I have already told friends I can't make Saturday night so I can get up to watch the race. At long fucking last.
Heh, nice.

You better be on Steam on Sunday morning then, make a proper event out of the first race of the year!

Orgun

I might have to get up early and watch the race also, don't have access to steam downstairs though. Unless there is an app cor that :)

Leonsito

Edmond Dantès said:
You may well be onto something there. If he can beat Schumacher again this year, he might just propel himself in to the top tier of drivers. If he's beaten, it could destroy his career. Make or break season for him and Schumacher.

I love Schumacher, he's my favorite driver ever, but since his first season in Williams Rosberg has become my favorite in the grid.

I hope that he's able to keep him ahead of Schumi, and if he has a car that can see the podium on a regular basis maybe he can get a win this year, and he's pretty good at qualifying, if those Amus reports are true about the conditions of the quali-sims in Barcelona for Mercedes and Ferrari maybe we will see his first pole in Australia.

Believe.

Aegus

Can't wait for the new season. Gonna see the Vettel finger this weekend hopefully.

My sister is going to the British GP this year and I'm insanely jealous. Last time I went was in 1997.

F1 GAF - I've decided to start following F1 this year, after being talked into it by a relative who interned with the Renault team. I may chime in with noob questions from time to time - hope that's ok, and please bear with me.

Any USA folks know how I can watch the race this weekend (hopefully for free)? The time will obviously be crazy (I'm EDT), but is it shown on cable live or the next day to DVR? Is it streamed live anywhere? Ditto for practice/quals? Better to just use the live timing apps? Official F1 apps or is there something else I should use?

I've always enjoyed watching racing of all kinds, but definitely pumped to start following a full season of F1.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Fong Ghoul said:
F1 GAF - I've decided to start following F1 this year, after being talked into it by a relative who interned with the Renault team. I may chime in with noob questions from time to time - hope that's ok, and please bear with me.

Any USA folks know how I can watch the race this weekend (hopefully for free)? The time will obviously be crazy (I'm EDT), but is it shown on cable live or the next day to DVR? Is it streamed live anywhere? Ditto for practice/quals? Better to just use the live timing apps? Official F1 apps or is there something else I should use?

I've always enjoyed watching racing of all kinds, but definitely pumped to start following a full season of F1.

In the US its on Speed channel in HD. I think they only show it live and that's it. A few races every year are on Fox in HD.

I stopped having speed about 2 years ago and I just get the bbc version off the net. That requires me to wait a few hours after the race to see it and also go on media blackouts, so its tough.

And any questions are welcome, there are some on here who have been watching for decades and can answer just about anything.

Chris R

AndyD said:
In the US its on Speed channel in HD. I think they only show it live and that's it. A few races every year are on Fox in HD.

I stopped having speed about 2 years ago and I just get the bbc version off the net. That requires me to wait a few hours after the race to see it and also go on media blackouts, so its tough.

And any questions are welcome, there are some on here who have been watching for decades and can answer just about anything.
Yep, F1 coverage in the usa is on SPEED. We get Free Practice 2, Quailifying, and the race.

We also have taped GP2 races just before the F1 race when those occur. And yay for the races in the east, great timing for us west coast gaffers.

AndyD said:

Nice - thanks. I think I still get Speed, so I can at least DVR it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom