• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

It's been a long time since I've kept up with F1. I'm checking out live timing now.

Anyone have info on which channels to tune in the united states?

AcridMeat

Banned
It feels like forever ago hearing these screaming engines. This is fantastic.

I didn't see any of testing and kind of kept in the dark after Hamilton went to Mercedes, it's so bizarre seeing a bright yellow helmet and it not being Hamilton in that McLaren.

Dilly

Banned
For fuck sake McLaren, how many times have they scrapped the fast car they developed last season to start all over again with a radical design that's not up to snuff till the end of the season?

Mastah

Jenson Button on 31th January: "This year’s car is the best we’ve ever made"

Martin Whitmarsh today: "The car is shit"

If that's a car designed around Jenson Button's preferences, who was boasting left, right and centre how much he thrives in a role of team leader, leading development of MP4-28, and all British media were treating him like 7th wonder of the world, then... I know it's only FP1 and FP2 of the first weekend, but looking at Red Bull's pace title is already lost, and McLaren is absolutely nowhere... then heads at Macca should roll. From very fast car in 2012 to midfield in 2013 - how the fuck is that even possible with almost no regulation changes?

Oh, and congrats to Vettel and Red Bull for 4th consecutive title :(

Dead Man

Did anyone else in Australia just see a Lotus/Kimi shampoo ad where they dubbed his voice? It was bizarre.

Jenson Button on 31th January: "This year’s car is the best we’ve ever made"

Martin Whitmarsh today: "The car is shit"

If that's a car designed around Jenson Button's preferences, who was boasting left, right and centre how much he thrives in a role of team leader, leading development of MP4-28, and all British media were treating him like 7th wonder of the world, then... I know it's only FP1 and FP2 of the first weekend, but looking at Red Bull's pace title is already lost, and McLaren is absolutely nowhere... then heads at Macca should roll. From very fast car in 2012 to midfield in 2013 - how the fuck is that even possible with almost no regulation changes?

Oh, and congrats to Vettel and Red Bull for 4th consecutive title :(

Long way to go yet.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Lots of hyperbole in this thread but I'm inclined to agree.
Many (me) included presumed McLaren would start where they left of last year and seriously challenge RBR but with their current troubles it leaves RBR miles ahead of the rest now.

Could end up being a repeat of the 2011 season if McLaren don't get their shit together.

Vettel could have gone way faster except for traffic at the end. Its Sector 3 times as so so much faster than the rest its ridiculous.
Everything looks to be working perfect on their car so far even their passive DRS system while they other are undercooked in several areas.

AcridMeat

Banned
I thought Lotus had a contender this year? Is that false information from my friend (who is biased towards Kimi/Lotus as I am)?

John_B

Seems like the Red Bull has some extra juice. Still we need to see who has the tyres managed.

Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus are fighting for the lower steps on the podium. Should be a great battle. McLaren looking to be in trouble. Probably no regrets from Hamilton this weekend.

Dilly

Banned
If Vettel dominates again this weekend, I'm not bothering with the rest of the season unless some can really challenge him.

Enough motorsport alternatives.

Many (me) included presumed McLaren would start where they left of last year and seriously challenge RBR but with their current troubles it leaves RBR miles ahead of the rest now.

Could end up being a repeat of the 2011 season if McLaren don't get their shit together..

Many thought that until we learned that McLaren have built an entirely new car. It might well pay off for them later, but for now they have work to do. Regardless, relatively poor starts to the season are their bread and butter.

Hackbert

Both Mercedes and Lotus looked pretty good. I'm hoping for some great fights for the podium from them.

this. i am delighted to see Mercedes and Lotus up there, given it is the first FP1+2...
But pls not a year of boring RBR dominance. Ugh. Battle it out.

Now it is prediction time...

Hackbert

i am german, i automatically support all german drivers to a degree. But designed dominance.. not so much. I never hate a driver besides some crashdummies
and where are the german folk in the prediction league.. huh.. thought there were some more

Shaneus

YF5slY0.jpg
Can I see his tracking anklet hidden under his left pant leg?

If
When Webber wins, what will you spend the money on? A prosthetic chin? Or maybe an assassin to take out Helmut Marko? :O
A prosthetic chin for the assassin of Marko.

Starting to really dislike that guy.
Yeah, it's like somehow Mercedes found his "douche" switch a la the on/off switch on the cursed Krusty doll.

The guy screams respectable middle class but he's trying so desperately trying to be gangsta.

He's from Hertfordshire for fucks sake. :D
Is it because he is black?

<3

STR looks like shit again :(
Yeah, but at least it's not the fall from grace that the McL seems to have experienced.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Rusty should be put out to pasture, he is useless.
Is Jones reigning him in at all?

For fuck sake McLaren, how many times have they scrapped the fast car they developed last season to start all over again with a radical design that's not up to snuff till the end of the season?
Shaking my fucking head. Seriously.

Button will be justified in his whinging.

PS. Happy with what I could see of Massa. Hope he guns for it this year. If it can't be #1 #2, I'd like it to be #2 #2.

PPS. Seeing those cars in person... fucking glorious. You all missed out :D

PPPS. I love how my Webber pic just can't believe that photo of Hamilton.

Juicy Bob

People are seriously dismissing this race, this whole championship, just because Vettel has been quickest on Friday of the first race weekend of the season?

Shaneus

People are seriously dismissing this race, this whole championship, just because Vettel has been quickest on Friday of the first race weekend of the season?
Well, he didn't even win Australia last year and he still took the WDC. So if he's doing that well at this stage, I guess it's a lock ;)

This weekend, I'm hoping for some kind of pit malfunction or some kind of racing incident to affect his drive. It's the only way Webber will have any kind of meaningful shot at winning. But if not, I'm feeling confident that Mark will get a podium. Hell, maybe even team orders might come into play to "let" Mark win here.

Dilly

Banned

I said if.

I didn't bother with the races he dominated last season towards the end either.

Krilekk

Banned
Well, he didn't even win Australia last year and he still took the WDC. So if he's doing that well at this stage, I guess it's a lock ;)

This weekend, I'm hoping for some kind of pit malfunction or some kind of racing incident to affect his drive. It's the only way Webber will have any kind of meaningful shot at winning. But if not, I'm feeling confident that Mark will get a podium. Hell, maybe even team orders might come into play to "let" Mark win here.

"Let Mark pass for his ego!"

McLaren probably with full tank, Red Bull empty. There are 4 seconds.

I don't get why BBC hasn't chosen the first race to broadcast.

They can broadcast the highlights at the time most people normally watch the race. It sort of fits for them. Whilst I would have loved to see it on the BBC, I can't see many people getting up at 6am to watch it.

Shaneus

Jones barely sounded like he wanted to be there, the man is too old for this. He's 66 and still slicks back his hair.
Brabham's a hundred-and-fifty-something and I'm pretty sure he does the same thing.

Is Australia really that low on knowledgeable, enthusiastic motorsport commentators?

Top Bottom