• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Dead Man

Brabham's a hundred-and-fifty-something and I'm pretty sure he does the same thing.

Is Australia really that low on knowledgeable, enthusiastic motorsport commentators?

Yes, we are. Neil Crompton (who a lot of people dislike but I am quite amused by) and Daryl Beattie are the best we have. And that is a sad statement. Beattie at least can make sentences unlike Greg Rust, who seems to open his yap before he knows what it is he is going to say. He seems rabidly afraid of periods of time with no speaking.

h3ro

F1 is back!!! WOOOOOO!

Looks at FP1 times: "ok, not too bad, looks pretty even across the top...."

Looks at FP2 times: "daaayyyyyuuuumn"

Shaneus

Yes, we are. Neil Crompton (who a lot of people dislike but I am quite amused by) and Daryl Beattie are the best we have. And that is a sad statement. Beattie at least can make sentences unlike Greg Rust, who seems to open his yap before he knows what it is he is going to say. He seems rabidly afraid of periods of time with no speaking.
I don't mind Crompton. He's doing almost all the closed-circuit (pun! lolz) stuff (with assistance, of course) and doing a more than adequate job of it. Better than Glenn Ridge, at least ;)
At least he has more than a passing knowledge of motor racing.

Dilly

Banned
Whining because of Friday practice. Lol yep true F1 fans. Maybe there should be 2 threads.

Whining because of the last 2 years*

Also, true F1 fans, sounds like die hard fanboys from a band who are salty that some people like their new music. Such a stupid term.

jey_16

Banned
Had a great day at the track, my ears are still ringing. Will say that just sitting at the second last corner, the red bull looked so planted and had great traction. It looked like there was a decent gap back to the rest of the field but Mercedes/Lotus & Ferrari were evenly matched I think but the Mclaren looked like a bit of a handful which makes sense based on the times.

It could all change though, even though the air temp wasn't that high the sun was really shining down so the track temp was high (they said it was 37 degrees at the start of fp2) but its meant to be much cooler with rain tomorrow so who knows what could happen

cmr-94

To start moaning that Vettel is definately going to be the 2013 champion really is stupid. It was only FP1 and 2, it's Australia (not a representative track), the season is very long and nowadays the development race is the factor that contributes the most to winning the title, not necessarily the car you start with.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
To start moaning that Vettel is definately going to be the 2013 champion really is stupid. It was only FP1 and 2, it's Australia (not a representative track), the season is very long and nowadays the development race is the factor that contributes the most to winning the title, not necessarily the car you start with.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mclaren is simply unbelivable. How can they lost so much speed during winter? I think that some heads will roll if they bomb hard on first 5 races.

Rosberg is saying that there is some more in Mercedes and they hide it today

Adamm

Calm down guys - I dont think anyone was actually serious about declaring Vettel champion already.

Can we at least wait until the race is over before we start arguing over Vettel again?

Lucky Oimee isn't here yet

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Gearbox failure on Rosberg car was minor and he stopped car just to avoid further damage

RBR is still having a lot of pace left. Vettel best sector times would be 1:25.650....

TylerD

Vettel already won WDC? Man, that was a short championship.

images.jpg

malyce

Gearbox failure on Rosberg car was minor and he stopped car just to avoid further damage

RBR is still having a lot of pace left. Vettel best sector times would be 1:25.650....

Yeah, there's still more left in the redbull. Don't sleep on Mercedes though, Hamilton was able to match Vettel's 25.9 first sector, too bad he decided to go rallying before the 2nd. But it's only practice 2, we should get a better picture of what the grid will look like on Sunday by the end of FP3 tonight.

F1 is already over?

Vettel and Red Bull are WDC and WCC.
Rosberg is better than Hamilton. And Massa is on par with Alonso.

It was a pretty impressive season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, there's still more left in the redbull. Don't sleep on Mercedes though, Hamilton was able to match Vettel's 25.9 first sector, too bad he decided to go rallying before the 2nd. But it's only practice 2, we should get a better picture of what the grid will look like on Sunday by the end of FP3 tonight.

Yeah, but how will the weather be in FP3 and Q? Rain or not? Paging Melbourne GAF :)

Does every app on android to follow F1 suck ass? Any recommendations? Mostly looking for notifications when quali and race events are starting. I suck at remembering times and dates. I may end up just entering all the times and dates in my Google calendar and doing it that way.

TylerD

Are people already saying McLaren are doomed? It's just one session, in the first race meeting.

Crofty talked to Whitmarsh during FP2 when he was on the wall and he looked pretty concerned and basically said they are way off right now.

edit: Also Button said that just scoring points is all they can hope for and said that they knew they were off the pace during testing.

Not looking real good for them right now.

Lach

God damn

I was ready to cave in and subscribe to Teleclub Sport (basicly Sky Sports) for an additional 10.- SwissFrancs a month. They have the german Sky Coverage of all the Sessions. But Sport is only an additional package to the Teleclub Cinema Package which is 40 CHF by itself...

Ah well I get a good coverage on Swiss TV and an excellent coverage on BBC every other race...

Omiee

what league are we using this year?

nice times by RBR but im not counting ferrari or lotus out of the race yet.

P1 and P2 generally dont mean a lot. Cant count the times a team was slow in P1 and P2 and ended up on pole on saturday or dominating the race on sunday.

Lets just wait and see how tomorrow goes.

My new season resolution? Post more relevante posts to the discussions in stead of: FUCK YEAAH VETTEL!!

lets see how it goes.

God predictions for this race are so tough. I'm going to be asleep between FP3 and Qualifying, so I already have as much insight as I'm going to get before the predictions are locked off.

I've decided to base my choices on what I think the overall race pace is going to be, which basically means I'm only picking drivers from the top 5 teams. It seems too much of a risk to bump one of them out on the off-chance that they won't finish the race or will pick up a problem.

Also, If it does pan out that the top 5 teams are regularly filling the top 10, and teams like Force India are left rarely scrapping for points, I think that's going to have some pretty interesting (i.e. devastating) repercussions. Obviously it's not going to be good for the sustainability of those teams and, to stick with the example of Force India, I wonder if it will lead to mid-season pay driver switches. For example, if PdR is firmly outclassed by Sutil for the first half of the season, and even Sutil is struggling to get into the points, perhaps FI might be tempted to replace Paul with a money bags to help them survive into next year. Of course, that would depend if he's tied into their engine deal, which I don't think I've ever seen clarified anywhere.

dubc35

Yeah, it's a pure guess at this point on predictions. Obviously RBR look good but it looks like it still might rain Sat/Sun.

Lach

God predictions for this race are so tough. I'm going to be asleep between FP3 and Qualifying, so I already have as much insight as I'm going to get before the predictions are locked off.

I've decided to base my choices on what I think the overall race pace is going to be, which basically means I'm only picking drivers from the top 5 teams. It seems too much of a risk to bump one of them out on the off-chance that they won't finish the race or will pick up a problem.

I really have trouble not picking who I WANT to be good but those who will probably be good...At the moment there isn't much you can say to convice me I shouldn't put Vettel for win but I kinda don't want to...

And Sutils Mugshot IS the worst thing I've ever seen...

I really have trouble not picking who I WANT to be good but those who will probably be good...At the moment there isn't much you can say to convice me I shouldn't put Vettel for win but I kinda don't want to...

And Sutils Mugshot IS the worst thing I've ever seen...

Look at it this way, you're either going to see a race pleasing result, or win points in the league. That's what I do.

Top Bottom