• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

quIMKCG.png

UFF0eYm.png

AZ7Fwnx.png

p3eIFlm.png

Sjip1pd.png

Fbvby9j.png

CevetsY.png

ultewRk.png

nzsWH3q.png

lJY3NQc.png

OAeFus0.png

JfvctW3.png

59M4acW.png

JrwjZ8W.png

7OPsyic.png

jEGzCUa.png

WdjIbwY.png

DBsyKY9.png

bVZ7hLj.png

xkZaI7b.png

fCfs9O4.png

MWlj4fT.png

K3E6vu3.png

49rrCh2.png

Zwgo9td.png

W15MSlc.png

TKPvuHp.png

neA5x6y.png

Zrn2PRJ.png

cuvSSz8.png

D4Bacg7.png

fbpuDk2.png

XjnQeiQ.png

New power units
For the first time since 1988 turbo engines will be used as part of the energy recovery system (ERS). The new engines have stronger acceleration, and sound different to the 2.4 litre V8s used previously. They are now using 1.6l V6 engines. Horsepower is down from 750 to 600 and the RPM limit falls from 18,000 to 15,000

Engine recovery system
This is now delivered to the rear wheels via the throttle, rather than being activated by a button. An ERS problem will have a bigger effect on the car's performance

Tyres
Pirelli are providing harder compound tyres, and teams will have an extra set of prime tyres available for each race weekend. The cars have less downforce, though

Overall shape
Safety regulations and changes to the aerodynamics of the cars have resulted in lower noses – hence the anteater description – while wings are also narrower

Minimum weight
This has increased to 690kg without the 100kg of fuel, a 48kg difference from last year. There are fears this will not make up for the heavier engines so will benefit smaller drivers

Exhaust
There will now be a single, central exhaust tailpipe, preventing teams from diverting hot gases into the diffuser to gain downforce

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/28/new-rules-change-f1-cars-2014

Password in second post

Great job on the new OT. I hope this season will be as exciting as the pre-season tests suggests. A Williams comeback would be fantastic.

And while I'm not a fan of subtitles in OT's, you picked a good one.

e: I wish you posted it in the OT and not the community ghetto, though. I know it would be moved back in here after a while, but it would've been good to get some exposure, before this thread drifts back into the dark.

Great OP!

Looking forward to the season. Rooting for Hamilton and Magnussen. I also want Ferrari to get their shit sorted, but I'm not hopeful. I hope RBR have a terrible season, and I want tears from the Vettel fanboy club.

DBT85

My subtitle! *get all 'motional*

Great OP, let the race commence!

Hoping for a Williams V Mercedes battle this season. Will be interesting to see how the Renault powered teams cope with the poor form in testing. Want to see some juicy fights between Teflonso and Iceman.

This year I reckon I'll mostly be supporting Rosberg, Kobayashi and Magnussen I reckon.

I'll still have a soft spot for Hulkenberg and Vettel though.

Zeknurn

Well done with the OT. I especially like your choice of banner for the Sochi GP.

Looking through the driver listings I realised that I completely forgot Guiterieizezws has a drive this year.

Caramello

I'm personally hoping for a three way fight between Mercedes, Ferrari and Williams this year.

I also just joined the F1 League as the Green Arrows!

I like the pole position prediction aspect, will add a bit of chance to the game while also rewarding people who are watching practice times closely!

Hammer24

Banned
"Williams Martini" sounds like a cool name for a drink (Williams Christ pear & martini?).

So basically: Williams Martini Racing = drunk driving :)

Shaneus

Subbed!

Here's what/how I'm following this year:
* Ricciardo. But because a good performance by him likely means an even better one by Vettel, I'm torn.
* Massa (and to a lesser extent, Bottas). Just want to see him do well and the testing indicates he/they will.
* Kobayashi. Because potatoes.

The rest I'm neither here nor there. I'd like to see the lower-tier teams make a better effort this year and the top teams to be far closer than others. Ultimately I just want each race to be unpredictable and exciting, without being artificially so.

But damn, I do hope Williams do well this year. Frank needs it.

"Williams Martini" sounds like a cool name for a drink (Williams Christ pear & martini?).

So basically: Williams Martini Racing = drunk driving :)
Kimi joined the wrong team!

PS. Those clean Martini overalls reminds me of something that'd be seen in endurance racing. I dig it. I'd just kinda hoped Martini was going to sponsor Porsche as well :(

Wow, 1 week to go, seems like the F1 winters took years.

Go Danny Ric, the heir to the crown of Webber.
Like I've said... I'm really hopeful for him, but any improvement in his performances likely come at the cost of even better ones by Vettel. I hope not. And I kinda hope being teamed up with him brings out a bit of the mongrel in the kid. Love to see him race with some balls-out aggro.

Shaneus

No Britney love?! I´m gutted!
Eeeeh. He's vanilla ice-cream. Wouldn't be disappointed if he won and out of all the top teams in with a shot (I'm not counting Ferrari or RBR... yet.) probably my favourite, but he's just kind of dull and doesn't strike me as WDC material. Too pretty ;)

Hammer24

Banned
Eeeeh. He's vanilla ice-cream. Wouldn't be disappointed if he won and out of all the top teams in with a shot (I'm not counting Ferrari or RBR... yet.) probably my favourite, but he's just kind of dull and doesn't strike me as WDC material. Too pretty ;)

So in your opinion that's a depiction of the HAM/ROS driver duo?:

09571.jpg

I like ROS, as I think of the younger driver generation he´s one of the few that at least somewhat lives the classic gentleman driver image.

Shaneus

So in your opinion that's a depiction of the HAM/ROS driver duo?:

09571.jpg

I like ROS, as I think of the younger driver generation he´s one of the few that at least somewhat lives the classic gentleman driver image.
Bahahaha. Yeah, I guess it's hard to argue with that sentiment. He's just never done anything for me personally that's made me think he's anything outstanding or outgoing. Not that it's a bad thing, but he doesn't seem to ooze charisma or personality. But "gentleman driver" is an excellent description though, and fits him quite nicely. More than pretty much anyone else on the field ('cept for maybe Button?).

Lucius86

Banned
Good OT.

Last few years I've been routing for Lotus and Mr. Smiley. This year it's all about Williams, even if my new job means I drive past the McLaren offices every day. Desperate for them to do well.

I predict 11 cars finishing the first race.

dubc35

Good OT.

Last few years I've been routing for Lotus and Mr. Smiley. This year it's all about Williams, even if my new job means I drive past the McLaren offices every day. Desperate for them to do well.

I predict 11 cars finishing the first race.

I may request you stop in there and slap some people around later in the season.

Great job on the OP, Addnan.

Yeah Lucius, I'm putting the over/under of finishers at half.

My biggest hope for Melbourne is that F1 comes out of it without egg on their face. If there are less than 10 finishers, and those guys just drove around in pairs because the gaps between teams is too big, the peoples, they'll be none to pleased.

Scottify

The mark of the beginning of a new season is a new threat. It's all so exciting, I can't wait.

I'm a Williams fan and a to a lesser extent, a Kimi fan.

Lach

Cool OP
I like the picture for the Russian Grand Prix

Yeah I really hope we'll get some unpredictability during the first few races. And I hope the gaps won't be as large as the practices made it seem.

operon

Getting my team sorted our on f1manager its called ode to the Male Appendage. Trying to join the neogaf league but the website get's all messed up anyone else having problems

Fox Mulder

I just got into f1, how fun is it to go to a race? I might try to get tickets to the US race in November, but I've only ever been to NASCAR events where the tracks are smaller.

Lucius86

Banned
I may request you stop in there and slap some people around later in the season.

I will wear an F1-gaf t-shirt so you can sit there with satisfaction as my mug-shot is plastered all over the F1 news sites. And maybe...just maybe...buck their ideas up.

I just got into f1, how fun is it to go to a race? I might try to get tickets to the US race in November, but I've only ever been to NASCAR events where the tracks are smaller.

Went to Spa in 2012 - was a truly brilliant weekend. It's the whole atmosphere and ambiance rather than the racing itself - it's better to watch it at home on the TV. Getting drunk with random German F1 fans who spoke as little English as I spoke German was a memorable moment.

MrKaepora

Nice OT. Let's hope we don't have another boring season of Vettel and RedBull, at least the tests show that this season might be not as smooth for the austrian team as in recent years, but with Adrian Newey you never know.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nice OT. Let's hope we don't have another boring season of Vettel and RedBull, at least the tests show that this season might be not as smooth for the austrian team as in recent years, but with Adrian Newey you never know.

Well, we saw during testing that Renault engine turns into BBQ mode as soon they push it a little in that Red Bull car...

MrKaepora

Well, we saw during testing that Renault engine turns into BBQ mode as soon they push it a little in that Red Bull car...

Testing is one thing, they may still be able to reverse their luck during the season and we don't know what problems the other teams may face. Remember Mercedes last year with the tyres?

Zeknurn

Went to Spa in 2012 - was a truly brilliant weekend. It's the whole atmosphere and ambiance rather than the racing itself - it's better to watch it at home on the TV. Getting drunk with random German F1 fans who spoke as little English as I spoke German was a memorable moment.

I went to Nürbergring last year and I can second this.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Testing is one thing, they may still be able to reverse their luck during the season and we don't know what problems the other teams may face. Remember Mercedes last year with the tyres?

This is true, but before they solve their problem, other teams could progress even further so it would be quite hard for RBR to catch them.
I still think that Mercedes did not show all their pace with factory or customer team.

Chris R

I was at Austin in 2012 and had a BLAST. I'd spring for the GA tickets and go if you live in the area, or don't mind driving from not Austin due to hotel prices.

I was at Phoenix watching NASCAR the week before, the crowd was different, the tracks were different but I had a blast at both events.

AcridMeat

Banned
ibd54PTUMndZYi.gif

So ready for this season. Great work on the OT. Here's to Williams and Mercedes at the front and surprises from Caterham.

In honor of Sunhi
iLjzcSQNRmvHe.gif

Horse Power: Sat 8th March @ 9pm - Sky2

Through unprecedented access to the factory at Maranello, its engineers and racing drivers Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen this film will lift the veil off of the highly secretive world of manufacturing a Formula 1 racing car. Underneath the ‘Rosso Corsa’ (red paintwork) is the beating heart of this iconic thoroughbred racing machine; its prancing horse, the engine. In 2014, Formula 1 is switching to a new and untested 1.6 litre V6 turbo engine; the technical challenges of which cannot be underestimated.

Subscribed.

Hopefully it'll be a good one

EDIT: I've read somewhere that Ferrari were using a different point at the track to record the lap times. I hope that they were sandbagging

Thanks. I checked, and the hotel I'm staying in only has ESPN 1 and 2..

Any alternative online? given that it'll be at 2am, no bars will be open at that time

They'll re-air the race at least once on Sunday. If your hotel has a bar/restaurant that might be your best bet. Just ask them to put it on. Otherwise find a quiet bar, or maybe better yet if you can make a determination that a nearby pub might be soccer friendly, they'll probably have it on mixed in with re-runs of the FA Cup final (same channel).

No online streams I'm afraid.

Staab

If you have an internet connection you could always check out one of the free streaming sites (like VIP box TV).

DBT85

Subscribed.

Hopefully it'll be a good one

EDIT: I've read somewhere that Ferrari were using a different point at the track to record the lap times. I hope that they were sandbagging

I don't understand.

A circle is the same circumference no matter where you start measuring from.

Hasney

I don't understand.

A circle is the same circumference no matter where you start measuring from.

All things being equal, yes. I did find it slightly odd though, weren't Ferrari fastest in every speed trap? I know that's just straight line speeds, but they've either got ridiculous acceleration to top speed while really sucking in the corners, or the timing is a little funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom