• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Ruruja

This season seems intent on not providing that ;__;

haven't we been wanting that all year?

We can dream.

One thing is for sure, the people bitching about how the new engines were "so slooow" were full of shit. These engines with last years downforce would easily blow last years times away.

I don't remember people bitching about the engines being "so slooow", especially with the turbo. I remember people bitching about the sound, and rightly so.

EDIT: Actually I remember them at the start of the year saying laptimes were too close to GP2 times, so fair enough.

DBT85

Great lap from Rosberg.

I wonder if Hamilton will be puzzled this year as to why he's been unable to best his team mate in Quali. He's always been faster.

Regardless, I expect him to pass Rosberg one way or another. It's not even that I think he'll do it, I actually expect it.

Will be fun to see if Rosbergs super fast Q2 lap will cause him any problems for the start of the race on those tyres compared to Hamilton's more sedate one.

Great lap from Rosberg.

I wonder if Hamilton will be puzzled this year as to why he's been unable to best his team mate in Quali. He's always been faster.

It's so close 7/8. And two of the races had unusual circumstances. I don't see it being a big deal for Lewis. He has been faster overall

Mastah

Romain GrosjeanVerified account ‏@RGrosjean

That looks better up-side-down ! Tough quali today at the #USGP but tomorrow is another day... @Lotus_F1Team #r8main

B1ZYo_dCcAAxuka.png:orig

:D

DBT85

It's so close 7/8. And two of the races had unusual circumstances. I don't see it being a big deal for Lewis. He has been faster overall

Oh it's the Sunday that matters and we've seen that Lewis is faster when it matters. But I don't think he's shared the quali times as much with anyone in his F1 career has he? Even against Alonso he won 9-8.

hamchan

Oh it's the Sunday that matters and we've seen that Lewis is faster when it matters. But I don't think he's shared the quali times as much with anyone in his F1 career has he? Even against Alonso he won 9-8.

I think Rosberg is an excellent driver but when he has to race against other people at the same time he always seems to crack under pressure.

Addnan

Somehow not that excited for the race even though it is so close to the end of a hard fought season. Race is so predictable, Rosberg wins if something goes wrong with Hamilton's start or brakes die or whatever. Hamilton wins otherwise.

Couple of questions on GP morning:

- Where the f is Jean Todt in the middle of this crisis?

- What will happen to Renault's participation in F1 if they lose two teams and the only remaining teams are the ones that threw them under the bus?

Ark

- What will happen to Renault's participation in F1 if they lose two teams and the only remaining teams are the ones that threw them under the bus?

Thanks to Max Mosely the FIA can't really do anything other than sanction a new series under a different name.

Renault I imagine would continue supplying those teams. I'd have thought they've spent too much money on this new PU to turn their back on it now, even if RBR drop out.

JT is running the FiA the way it should be run. As a body, and not represented by one person.

Re: Renault .. They were pushing for the new engines the most, and it's the main reason (new engines) why F1 is in this disaster.

I think the governing body should never succumb to the pressure of big teams or manufacturers. If we stuck with V8's we would, most probably, have had the two teams still racing, and customer teams would be in a better financial situation. Last but not least, fans would've been much happier

Shaneus

Is watching the qualis before tomorrow's race worth watching? From what I gather, nothing special happened, usual Merc 1-4 followed by Danny.

Mohonky

Great lap from Rosberg.

Regardless, I expect him to pass Rosberg one way or another. It's not even that I think he'll do it, I actually expect it.

Will be fun to see if Rosbergs super fast Q2 lap will cause him any problems for the start of the race on those tyres compared to Hamilton's more sedate one.

Think its something to do with the brakes.

We've seen Hamilton explode one in Germany and he often has problems getting them all at the operating temp or simply blowing past it. We know he brakes differently to a lot of drives, he is very late on them. It might be he just doesnt get them up to temp or operating at the correct temp during the little time he has to do so in qualifying.

Its the only thing I can think of because he hasnt seems to have the same problem in race pace, so I assume once everything has bedded in and running at its optimal he is quicker, but he doesnt really get that chance in qualifying. It would explain why he is usually faster in free practice and race trim but slower in quali.

Yeah but with two less teams next season (Lotus and most likely Caterham) Renault is missing more than 40 million euros in revenue, if the 2015 engine is a dog and Audi are coming in with Red Bull it's hard to imagine Renault staying in F1, even if RBR go with Audi and STR stay with Renault.

Haas is going with Ferrari so unless there's a new team with no manufacturer behind it Renault could be in trouble.

Still a lot of ifs.

As for the race today, can't see Lewis losing the race.

Hope Sauber get a point, otherwise they're screwed without all the extra revenue even one point will give them.

olore

That was an exemplary lap by Rosberg, I noticed one wobble of the steering wheel. Once. He really nailed the balance.

That said, I somehow believe that Lewis will be able to apply the pressure come the race.

John_B

That was an exemplary lap by Rosberg, I noticed one wobble of the steering wheel. Once. He really nailed the balance.

That said, I somehow believe that Lewis will be able to apply the pressure come the race.
No chicanes for Rosberg to take advantage of either.

I would be surprised if Rosberg could build a safe gap to Hamilton. The dynamic is more interesting when Hamilton is chasing Rosberg though.

Ruruja

Put that Ferrari bonus to smaller teams :p

That Ferrari get so much extra just for taking part is ridiculous. They aren't going anywhere.

The Ferrari bonus really is quite outrageous. I don't know of another sport that gives a team a huge amount of money just for their historical value. It goes against the very values of fair competition and it's really bizarre that it still exists in 2014.

jey_16

Banned
Ferrari need that bonus to pay Alonso not to drive for them and for a new wind tunnel not to work so it's being put to good use.

TCRS

Banned
shit I don't think I can watch the race today. I ususally enjoy evening races but I have to get up at 4am tomorrow. I have an important meeting with a client tomorrow, can't stay up that late and just get through the day somehow with coffee as I normally would.. :p

Somehow not that excited for the race even though it is so close to the end of a hard fought season. Race is so predictable, Rosberg wins if something goes wrong with Hamilton's start or brakes die or whatever. Hamilton wins otherwise.

I feel the same. I couldn't watch the qualifying yesterday, will not bother to watch it now and haven't even checked when the race starts here. I probably won't miss it, but I might just let the race run in the background while doing something else.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think there is wrong number at Ferrari bonus in that pic, they are receiving 2,5% of the total sum for their historic importance, so that would mean 22,5 million $. Still quite a lot :p

Ruruja

shit I don't think I can watch the race today. I ususally enjoy evening races but I have to get up at 4am tomorrow. I have an important meeting with a client tomorrow, can't stay up that late and just get through the day somehow with coffee as I normally would.. :p

What if your client is an F1 fan and asks: "Hey did you watch the F1 race yesterday?"

How foolish would you feel then!

DBT85

I think there is wrong number at Ferrari bonus in that pic, they are receiving 2,5% of the total sum for their historic importance, so that would mean 22,5 million $. Still quite a lot :p

That 2.5% isn't all they get, just a flat rate starter.

Think its something to do with the brakes.

We've seen Hamilton explode one in Germany and he often has problems getting them all at the operating temp or simply blowing past it. We know he brakes differently to a lot of drives, he is very late on them. It might be he just doesnt get them up to temp or operating at the correct temp during the little time he has to do so in qualifying.

Its the only thing I can think of because he hasnt seems to have the same problem in race pace, so I assume once everything has bedded in and running at its optimal he is quicker, but he doesnt really get that chance in qualifying. It would explain why he is usually faster in free practice and race trim but slower in quali.

That was a quality control failure, not a driver-induced one.

So it seems Button is out of Mclaren (for Porsche in WEC) and no 3 cars per team.

Apparently, entry for 2015 had to be submitted until yesterday so we should know soon whether or not Marussia and Caterham are still alive.

And someone should have the balls to ask Mattiaci why Ferrari deserve a historical bonus.

itsgreen

So it seems Button is out of Mclaren (for Porsche in WEC) and no 3 cars per team.

Apparently, entry for 2015 had to be submitted until yesterday so we should know soon whether or not Marussia and Caterham are still alive.

And someone should have the balls to ask Mattiaci why Ferrari deserve a historical bonus.

That shouldn't be a problem...

McLaren TBA
Driver 1 TBA
Driver 2 TBA

Marrusia TBA
Engine TBA
Driver 1 TBA
Driver 2 TBA

Caterham TBA
Engine TBA
Driver 1 TBA
Driver 2 TBA

Those entries are worth quite a dime.

DBT85

It's Sunday, its F1 weekend, and I have 0 hype for this race. Not on the BBC till fucking 10:30 so I wont see it till Monday morning at work.

Stupid decision.

Zeknurn

Whenever they list all the drivers by 12 at a time and then flip over to the second page it looks so barren.

I have a feeling that this race is going to be another snoozefest. But I guess at the least Vettel should be able to provide some entertainment.

Ark

Man, where is the hype for this race? Are we all just done with this season?

Too late in the day for European's to care, and so far it's just been the same story as the entire season except this time we've lost Caterham and Marussia.

Too late in the day for European's to care, and so far it's just been the same story as the entire season except this time we've lost Caterham and Marussia.

Come on it is a primetime TV sport event. I am bit torn that there is no new "Tatort" on TV because of F1.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
JEV just said on Canal Plus that we shouldn't worry about him being in a f1 car next year. He wouldn't say any more but he seemed pretty confident.

Top Bottom