• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

crispyben

I ball said:
Does anyone know if the PAL version of the game will work on a NSTC-U with the freeloader?

I just ordered the freeloader so I could pick up MK Friday since I live in Holland but with a NSTC-U Wii..
From the official thread:
todog said:
I can confirm that the European PAL version works on my US-NTSC Wii console using a US-NTSC Freeloader. The wii has been running the latest firmware since this past weekend and when I started playing Mario Kart yesterday evening it worked with the normal boot method just fine.

No update was necessary at all.

Later tonight I will try if the online mode works with this method, although I will not risk installing the Mario Kart Wii channel. If I have time I will try to upload some pictures as proof later this evening.

So why doesn't the NTSC-J version work on a US Wii using Freeloader? Well, my UK staffer is picking it up tomorrow from his store since they said they'd have it then and shipping it over. So here's hoping this is correct.

lopaz

Banned
Chibbi Brady said:
Good news for people with a PAL Wii, Freeloader and Brawl. Everything works fine. The update that comes with MK is 3.2E, which was released a few weeks back. There's no problem about putting in MK and playing straight away. I tested Freeloader with Brawl afterwards and it's perfect. I spent about 20 minutes testing it on 2 Wiis(3.2E) today and both ran it perfectly. Wasn't actually working today but went in to pick up MK early and it works perfectly on my PAL machine at home and so does Brawl. Great news. :)

We also got in a huge amount of MK, 70 in total and something like 40 wheels. Keep in mind we're only a small shop as well.

crispyben said:
OK guys & girls, good news all around! I found MKWii in Paris today, popped the game in my 3.2E PAL Wii, launched the game without any kind of update, played online with sound, installed the MK Channel, went back to the Wii menu, popped in the Freeloader and launched SSBB without any problem. :D

May I kiss you both on the mouth?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Pal Wii + Ghost Squad US: works flawless :)

And btw, Ghost Squad is $19.99(CND) at VG+, pretty good deal I'd say!

Netto-kun

It seems like Mario Kart Wii do have a update (my friend was prompted to update his Wii). I assume it's the update that'll allow Wii to run dual-layer discs?

[Nintex]

Netto-kun said:
It seems like Mario Kart Wii do have a update (my friend was prompted to update his Wii). I assume it's the update that'll allow Wii to run dual-layer discs?
Mario Kart Wii only has the 3.2E firmware update. You'll only be prompted to update if you haven't updated in a while.

Netto-kun

[Nintex] said:
Mario Kart Wii only has the 3.2E firmware update. You'll only be prompted to update if you haven't updated in a while.
That's weird, since my friend said he already updated his Wii to 3.2E firmware (and the WiiWare update thing) before getting the game. Maybe the game included both the firmware and the dual-layer update or something.

Dash Kappei

This is very important for me so if anyone could share some light on my doubts...

Has any gaffer had the chance to really try (thus not going by logic but hear a trustable source or even better a direct experience) using

Freeloader + PAL Wii + S-Video Cable?

You know, PAL Gamecube added RGB support and removed S-Video support from his NTSC (US/JPN) counterparts, so it couldn't display any image using that kind of video connection.

We know that PAL Wii does NOT have the capability to output through S-Video with PAL games.

ITT someone suggested that it was feasible to use the combination of PAL Wii + Freeloader + NTSC game with S-Video connection (so to have a much better image quality than the crappy composite you're relegated to since RGB scart shows the red tint of death.

It doeas make sense, I mean there's a chance this is true since PAL Wii, as opposed as PAL GCN, does output in component YUV and YPbPr so S-Video output should be there... just not for PAL encoded games.

So please, anyone?

Thanks!

Dascu

Dash Kappei said:
This is very important for me so if anyone could share some light on my doubts...

Has any gaffer had the chance to really try (thus not going by logic but hear a trustable source or even better a direct experience) using

You know, PAL Gamecube added RGB support and removed S-Video support from his NTSC (US/JPN) counterparts, so it couldn't display any image using that kind of video connection.

We know that PAL Wii does NOT have the capability to output through S-Video with PAL games.

ITT someone suggested that it was feasible to use the combination of PAL Wii + Freeloader + NTSC game with S-Video connection (so to have a much better image quality than the crappy composite you're relegated to since RGB scart shows the red tint of death.

It doeas make sense, I mean there's a chance this is true since PAL Wii, as opposed as PAL GCN, does output in component YUV and YPbPr so S-Video output should be there... just not for PAL encoded games.

So please, anyone?

Thanks!
That'll work fine, but you'll need to be sure that your TV supports NTSC 60hz.

Dash Kappei

Dascu said:
That'll work fine, but you'll need to be sure that your TV supports NTSC 60hz.

Did you try it yourself? Because if that's the case I'm going online to order one right now!
And yes, my TV does support NTSC 60Hz, that's why I'm thriving to have a much better image quality than the crappy composite you're relegated to with Freeloader/Pal Wii/TV w/o YUV input.

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:
Did you try it yourself? Because if that's the case I'm going online to order one right now!
And yes, my TV does support NTSC 60Hz, that's why I'm thriving to have a much better image quality than the crappy composite you're relegated to with Freeloader/Pal Wii/TV w/o YUV input.

.(Sorry for the bumb)

Anyone?

Ramenman

keiji said:
Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX wii work whit freeloader pal?

GNT EX 2 works with it. Don't know about the first one (hell, it might even be in the OP list but I don't remember).

So basically what we know about MK is :

-If you are not prompted to update your console with the on-disc update, no need to worry.
-You won't be prompted to update if you've already made all the online updates to this day.

What we don't know for sure is :
- Does the on-disc update some have been prompted to install fucks up the freeloader ?

I don't personnally care since my Wii is up to date, but some people who don't have their Wii connected to Internet might want to know.

Yesterday i went to a friend and i tried my jpn games on his Wii pal, tv was a Philips CRT with component cable

Winning Eleven Play Maker 2008 - Konami

16:9 / 480p
100% compatible, japanese text on screen readable

Mobile Suit Gundam Sensen 0079 - Konami

16:9 / 480i

Yukinko Daisenpuu - Star Fish

4:3 / 480i
100% compatible, japanese text during intro unreadable, menu is in english

Shin Chuuka Taisen - Star Fish

100% compatible, japanese text readable (but all menus are in japanese)

Dash Kappei

Moor-Angol said:
Yukinko Daisenpuu - Star Fish

What's this? The game born as a Kikakai (Pocky & Rocky) sequel??

How is it?
(even if it isn't that Kikaikai "clone" I'd like to know what kind of game it is)

Wizpig

So it's blah blah 100% confirmed blah blah that the Freeloader STILL WORKS on a PAL Wii after the MK Wii update, right?

I'm going to order US NMHeroes in these days and i don't want some bad surprises :D

RikoNinja

Silly question, I haven't updated my wii since before I imported SSBB, are the normal wii updates still completely safe? Thanks!

Moor-Angol said:
Yesterday i went to a friend and i tried my jpn games on his Wii pal, tv was a Philips CRT with component cable

Mobile Suit Gundam Sensen 0079 - Konami

I am still waiting for my copy of this to arrive in the mail. Its been over a month of waiting.

Wizpig said:
So it's blah blah 100% confirmed blah blah that the Freeloader STILL WORKS on a PAL Wii after the MK Wii update, right?

I'm going to order US NMHeroes in these days and i don't want some bad surprises :D

RikoNinja said:
Silly question, I haven't updated my wii since before I imported SSBB, are the normal wii updates still completely safe? Thanks!

No need to worry, the latest update (either from updating wii through the net or on the Mario Kart disc) doesn't block freeloader. I'm currently enjoying both Brawl and Mario Kart. :)

Vrk

Dragon Quest Swords JPN on a PAL console : Works
Hajime No Ippo Revolution JPN on a PAL console : black screen :(

keiji

Dash Kappei said:
What's this? The game born as a Kikakai (Pocky & Rocky) sequel??

How is it?
(even if it isn't that Kikaikai "clone" I'd like to know what kind of game it is)
is havenly guardin in store now in USA lol.

Dash Kappei said:
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection [US] on [PAL Wii]: works!

And I couldn't be happier, been playing the American version on my PAL region in-between Mario Kart sessions. <3

Dream Pinball 3D [US] and MiniCopter: Adventure Flight [US] also run fine.

Shafto

Dash Kappei said:

So please, anyone?

Thanks!

I tried this - but sadly, my TV doesn't support proper NTSC. Through both composite, and now S-Video, it displays in black and white, although in noticably better quality on S-Video. This is a PAL Wii, running NTSC Brawl. So, if your TV supports NTSC, S-Vid does output (only in-game mind, the menu's display as a big squibbly mess), so you should see a marked increase in quality.

Sorry for the late response to this query, only just caught up with this thread!

CTLance

I think it's been done already, but Okami (US) on a PAL Wii works, with the usual RGB red tint. Use component or composite and you'll be fine.

Obligatory rant: Damn, Capcom butchered this game something fierce. What an utter disgrace, they ought to be ashamed of themselves for giving RAD not enough resources. I'm 8 hours in (haven't slept much), and I'm certainly having fun, but this just screams bare-bones cash-in. Not a good way to give your 'overlooked artsy game' a second chance. Still, the game is loads of fun, but certainly not thanks to Capcoms treatment.

Dash Kappei

So, finally my cable arrived today.

I can "officially" (lol) confirm that
IF your TV supports NTSC you'll be able to output a proper S-Video signal from a PAL Wii playing NTSC US/JPN) games.

So if you have a NTSC capable TV (meaning your NTSC games play in color through the composite cable on your PAL Wii), you should definitely go for it: definitely a step up from crappy composite (really, I couldn't bear myself to play No More Heroes that way, I'm glad I've waited for the cable to get here!).

Dash Kappei

Anybody tried HOUSE of the DEAD returns US on PAL Wii?

I read almost everywhere it should work but a friend of mine can't make it work.
I loads fine and everything but aiming doesn't work, even the aiming reticule doesn't move at all (and yes, he tried to recalibrate the wiimote ingame).

Zenkoku Dekotora Matsuri - Jaleco

16:9 / 480p
100% compatible, main menus are in english, the only problem is to custom your truck, but you always see which part you are changing

Simple Wii Series Vol.1: Minna de Kart Race - D3 Publisher

It works, but some text is unreadable, especially when creating the character, load times are very slow, but it's the same on japanese Wii (didn't play online FYI)

Wizpig

So, while this may be slightly off topic, it still has something to do with the Freeloader, so i'm going to ask:

Today the Nintendo Channel came out in Europe... as you know there's a feature to share your opinions on a Wii game with a friend, based on your Wii saves.

My question is, what if i have a US/JP save on a PAL Wii?
Say, US NMH on a PAL Wii.
Will i be able to use this feature?

MNC

Even more generic question for me: Does Nintendo's Channel WORK with the freeloader and vice versa? I haven't updated that "April Fools system's gotta brand new OS7(or something)" so I'm still stuck one step before that. If I download the Nintendo Channel will my freeloader still work? This channel actually seems worth it.

Also: EU Mario Kart on EU Wii who had the freeloader, is it fully working, with the mario kart wii channel?

[Nintex]

MNC said:
Even more generic question for me: Does Nintendo's Channel WORK with the freeloader and vice versa? I haven't updated that "April Fools system's gotta brand new OS7(or something)" so I'm still stuck one step before that. If I download the Nintendo Channel will my freeloader still work? This channel actually seems worth it.

Also: EU Mario Kart on EU Wii who had the freeloader, is it fully working, with the mario kart wii channel?
Yes everything still works since the last update.

Clipper

Wizpig said:
My question is, what if i have a US/JP save on a PAL Wii?
Say, US NMH on a PAL Wii.
Will i be able to use this feature?

I have a PAL Wii and none of my import games (Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, etc.) are showing up for recommendations, so it's a pretty clear "No".

Simple Wii Series vol. 2: The Minna de Bass Tsuri Taikai and Simple Wii Series vol. 5: The Block Kuzushi on a PAL Wii don't work. Both crash at blank screens after the D3 logo.

Pretty annoyed, first Wii games I've come across that don't work with the Freeloader. It's weird too, seeing as vol. 1, 4 and 6 all work fine.

Oh well. :(

lopaz

Banned
I'm so scared to update. I haven't done it since well pre-wiiware, and even though it's not sposed to break it, my Brawl/Freeloader combo don't work on 2 other people's Wiis that I know, so I don't wanna mess with mine. But then I really want Wiiware... any words of soothing comfort guys?

[Nintex]

lopaz said:
I'm so scared to update. I haven't done it since well pre-wiiware, and even though it's not sposed to break it, my Brawl/Freeloader combo don't work on 2 other people's Wiis that I know, so I don't wanna mess with mine. But then I really want Wiiware... any words of soothing comfort guys?
Everything still works, I've installed all the updates.

F#A#Oo

Banned
lopaz said:

Nintendo has yet to go out of their way to break the Freeloader...

Top Bottom