• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

lopaz

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Nintendo has yet to go out of their way to break the Freeloader...

[Nintex] said:
Everything still works, I've installed all the updates.

I heart you guys! If they ever break it they can kiss gbye to me buying new games, nothing's more important than my Brawl file!

woobit

I can confirm that non of the newest updates breaks the Freeloader. Not too worried of it getting blocked so I'm gonna update as soon as an update is out.

HUELEN10

Okay, so I have ready a bit of this thread and I am intrigued. I have a US Wii console and it is about to go out of warranty. I want Wario Land Shake bad, so I am thinking about importing and getting a US Freeloader. I have a few questions though, since I am still new to this and would appreciate your help.

1. Have there been any accounts of save data corruption due to having different region saves of the same game on the same console? I know this was an issue back in the day of the GCN freeloader, so I am making sure.

2. Let's say Wario Land Shake requires a disc update. What would the "possible adverse effects" be? Would it be that it simply won't work, or is it worse?

That is basically all. Once again, thanks.

Clipper

HUELEN10 said:
1. Have there been any accounts of save data corruption due to having different region saves of the same game on the same console? I know this was an issue back in the day of the GCN freeloader, so I am making sure.
I haven't heard of anything like this happening. Some Japanese games just plain won't work on a US console, but they shouldn't mess up your US saves.
2. Let's say Wario Land Shake requires a disc update. What would the "possible adverse effects" be? Would it be that it simply won't work, or is it worse?
Possible adverse affects are:
  1. It just plain won't work.
  2. It will activate an update that will stop Freeloader from working (nothing does this yet, but any future game could potentially do it)
  3. It will make your console explode (not really, this is a joke)
The safest option for you is to wait until after release before you buy WLS. Plenty of people will have tested WLS on or possibly even before the release day and we will then know for sure whether it works with Freeloader and whether it activates the dreaded IOS37 that would cause option 2 above.

It does mean waiting a few more days for it to arrive, but better safe than sorry.

Potentially stupid question, but I didn't see it covered in the OP or on the official site:

Do you have to boot the Freeloader disc every time you want to play an import, or is that only necessary the first time?

I doubt we're lucky enough for the latter to be true, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

woobit

DaBargainHunta said:
Potentially stupid question, but I didn't see it covered in the OP or on the official site:

Do you have to boot the Freeloader disc every time you want to play an import, or is that only necessary the first time?

I doubt we're lucky enough for the latter to be true, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

You have to use the disc every time, yeah

Dascu

Anasui Kishibe said:
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but Boom Blox doesn't work. Disc is recognized but then its black screen all the way
It begins.

Now to see if they're really going to send free replacements.

MNC

Dascu said:
It begins.

Now to see if they're really going to send free replacements.
They're only going to replace freeloaders when they stop altogether, not if 1 game doesn't function.

HUELEN10

MNC said:
They're only going to replace freeloaders when they stop altogether, not if 1 game doesn't function.
that kinds sucks....

Now I am wonky about importing Wario Land Shake....

Doesnt codejunkies.com or w/e update freeloader when Nintendo updates?

Also I have a question..

If I buy the US version of Freeloader for the Wii - Will I be able to play Naruto GNT EX2(JP) on my US Wii??

I still have my GameCube and Freeloader for Naruto:GNT4 .. But really really want to try the new EX2 games :(

Yeah, it's official. Latest PAL update kills the Freeloader, Wii doesn't reconize the disc anymore.

Apparently this update ALSO automatically deletes any non-PAL save game files from the system, but so far this seems to be a mixed bag. Some people have had their files deleted, others haven't.

Burli

Pringo
No update for me then..

I haven't updated for awhile, does this mean I can't get a hold of WiiWare without bricking my freeloader?

Arse.

P.S. Get your fucking priorities straight Nintendo, maybe you should put the man-power behind cracking freeloaders into making sure your games don't release 6 months late in europe? It's really difficult to put up with this company sometimes.

tabsina

get your tinfoil hats out - does anyone else think that the timing of this update has anything to do with brawl launching in 10 days in europe/aus? ie. getting us to buy the game again

HUELEN10

tabsina said:
anyone else think that the timing of this update has anything to do with brawl launching in 10 days in europe/aus? ie. getting us to buy the game again
No I don't, as it seems to target the Twilight hack more than anything else.

Well, damn. One copy of unplayable Smash Bros going on eBay, then.

*hugs region-free PS3* Screw this region locking crap. There's no need for it in this day and age. Don't want people to import? Release games on time!

lopaz

Banned
Bah. I shan't be buying any more games then, in case they require an update. Wonder if Wiiware games will start forcing updates?

Get on the task codejunkies >: (

lopaz said:
Bah. I shan't be buying any more games then, in case they require an update. Wonder if Wiiware games will start forcing updates?

Get on the task codejunkies >: (

But can't you just do the trick where you reinsert the Freeloader so that it bypasses the on-disc update?

Wow this sucks. Thankfully there are no games coming anytime soon that I want to buy, so I guess I'll have to play Smash Bros Brawl as much as I can before anything good comes out :(

lopaz

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
But can't you just do the trick where you reinsert the Freeloader so that it bypasses the on-disc update?

Well I dunno, last I heard it was kinda uncertain that the freeloader would know exactly which bits to update. It might help but it might not.

Eh, that was fun while it lasted. I definitely don't regret getting this thing for one game (NMH) which I got the most out of in the end. Still, I'm glad I had the common sense NOT to build up a Wii import collection on the base of the Freeloader. Now I would have bee pretty mad...
Anyway, now to update, and back to my hopeless PAL gamer status.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I bought both Brawl and NMH...I played NMH rather extensively infact. Bitter mode etc...

Any chance of Code Junkies making good on their promise? I sent them an e-mail regarding this new update from Nintendo. I hope they don't reply by making some excuse.

I haven't played SSB:B that much infact I only played through 70% of the story-mode.

Man I hate this...I should have just waited...but NMH with blood was worth getting...

Oh well, It's a shame that it's blocked but I got my fun out of it by playing Smash months early and bloody NMH. I won't be updating my Wii for a while and don't see any games coming in the next few months that I would have to update for anyway so I'm not too upset. I should try the region-free hombrew app sometime.

tabsina

so does the homebrew channel allow for region free games to work even after the update? or is that also no longer a possibility?

tabsina said:
so does the homebrew channel allow for region free games to work even after the update? or is that also no longer a possibility?

I haven't tried it myself but people in the other thread were saying the update only deleted the TP hack but if the homebrew channel is installed, apps can still be run through that including the region-free app.

Got this in my inbox this morning from Gameseek, which is where I bought my Freeloader:

==========================================================
Freeloader for Wii (NintendoWii)
==========================================================

We have received this from Datel today regarding Freeloader - and we wanted to let you know this important information ASAP to keep you informed:

*** Please note, due to circumstances beyond our control Wii Freeloader is not compatible with latest version Wii firmware 3.3 and higher, just released (released as an online update 17/06/2008). You can continue to use Wii Freeloader perfectly with any Wii console running firmware 3.2 and below. If you upgrade to Wii firmware 3.3 or higher this WILL disable the Freeloader function and it will stop working for all future use on all import games. ***

I have included Extensive information about this at the bottom of this email, with thanks.

Please vote for us as Video Game Retailer of the year here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/vote.php

Best Regards,
Steve
Team Gameseek
www.gameseek.co.uk

** VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ **

For 99% of all users they will not be effected by the new firmware 3.3 upgrade providing that they do not upgrade their console and follow / continue to follow correct loading instructions for the Freeloader, as clearly outlined in manual. The Freeloader should be used / loaded for all games from all regions and should not be used just for import games only… I repeat the Freeloader should be used when loading any games from any country or any region. For example if you live in Germany you should still use Freeloader when loading German games and also Freeloader should be used when loading import games. Freeloader should be used on ALL games from anywhere in the Universe.

Using the Freeloader correctly disables parts / elements of all/most future updates.

Below please find Freeloader instruction manual. There are several references to upgrades, however I have highlighted in RED two sections, relating to usage of Freeloaders with all games from all regions.

The rest of the email is just instructions on how to use the Freeloader, reiterating using the alternate method.

Yeah, basically they're working on the assumption that future PAL games will have 3.3 on the disc. So you'll have to use the Freeloader to disable the update from the disc in addition to not downloading it via WiiConnect24.

Anonymous-

Neo Member
So as I have understood right:

The Freeloader works with the version 3.2 and below but not with the newest 3.3.

You should use the Freeloader with your PAL games even though if you use a PAL console.

The newest version 3.3 will disable the freeloader and you've wasted loads of euros.

Right?

D-X

Infernal Monkey said:
Apparently this update ALSO automatically deletes any non-PAL save game files from the system.

Cheeky little fuckers.

My Wii isn't touching the internet from now on. Any games going forward will be booted to avoid stealth updates.

Top Bottom